Check-Ups

Started by Ava Gray, October 12, 2019, 01:35:49 PM

Ava Gray

"Will the faithful be rewarded when we come to the end,
Will I miss the final warning..."

Ava's voice drifted out from the medbay, the tone of her song muted and ultimately dropping into distracted silence.

"Nurse, clamps."  The change in her voice was abrupt.  She spoke clearly, clinically, much louder than her singing had been.  A moment of silence, followed by, "Nurse, forceps."  A pause, and suddenly she was singing again, belting out the words,

"Stay with me, don't let me go,
Because there's nothing left at all.
Stay with me, don't let me go,
Until the ashes of Eden fall..."

Inside the medbay, Ava was standing by the bed.  The medscanner was latched to it's side, and the accompanying tablet was attached by a flexible arm, hovering in the air over the bed.  Ava's hands moved through the air below it, a pantomime of tiny, precise movements.  Her hands were empty but she wore a gown, mask and gloves.  She lifted a hand to re-position the tablet slightly, then stared at it in silence.  "Nurse, sutures," she commanded, sounding pleased.  Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail, revealing earbuds that must have been supplying the accompaniment to her song.

Her hands resumed their pantomime, and shortly thereafter she resumed her song.

"Heaven above me, take my hand,
Shine until there's nothing left but you..."
she belted out, thoroughly preoccupied by her activity.

Travis Chao

Travis left his gun and belt knife in his room along with jacket and hat. All on his bed. The rest of his things had been put away and now he drifted about the ship heading forward.

They were underway. He stopped in the hall just aft of operations. Heard singing. 'the doc is in.' He stepped to the open door of the infirmary, stopped in the door way.

He wasn't exactly sure what she was doing, some sort of visual creation practice or some such.

His eyes on her hands and the invisible tools of her trade, his knuckles rapped on the wall inside the room. "Ahem, uh, pardon me Dr. Gray." Once he had her attention.. "I spent a good bit of time in the bush last few month." 'not the bush, that ain't what they call it on Greenleaf.' Not that the doc was from there.

"That is, in the jungle. Took a couple fevers for a couple days." more than that really, but those details were hardly needed. "I was wondering if I could get some labs'n such. Make sure I'm not draggin' around some bugs still."

"When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or person, don't be surprised they learn the lesson."

Ava Gray

The sound of a voice broke through the music playing through Ava's earbuds and she froze.  The tablet before her showed her hands mid-stitch set against the computer simulation of an open wound, half-way sutured.  "Nurse, pause," she said and her hands vanished, the rest of the simulation freezing in place.  She tapped off the music and turned to the source of the interruption, pulling down her mask to favor him with a smile.  "Hello, Mr. Chao.  Anything I can do for you?"

Quote from: Travis Chao on October 12, 2019, 01:47:42 PM"I spent a good bit of time in the bush last few month." 'not the bush, that ain't what they call it on Greenleaf.' Not that the doc was from there.

"That is, in the jungle. Took a couple fevers for a couple days." more than that really, but those details were hardly needed. "I was wondering if I could get some labs'n such. Make sure I'm not draggin' around some bugs still."

Ava had started to push off her gloves, but when Travis mentioned his time in the jungle she reversed course, gently tugging them back into place.  "Of course," she answered brightly, moving toward the cabinets that stored the medical supplies.  "Though given your history, I'm going to have to ask you to do something I try not to ask my crew mates this early in our acquaintance..."

The doctor reached into a drawer and spun around to face her patient, holding a clear plastic container with a bright blue lid.  She smiled apologetically as she offered it to Travis.  "I'm going to need you to pee in a cup for me," she explained.

Travis Chao

"Right." He said simply, expecting as much. He turned to leave the Medical Bay and head to the water closet closest to his bunk.

Travis headed there and did his business. Glad he didn't just turn and do it in the bay as he'd had two cups of coffee and needed the toilet to finish said business.

After washing up and being sure the container was clean as well, he returned and handed the sample to Dr. Gray. "Hot outa the source as it gets.

"When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or person, don't be surprised they learn the lesson."