S1:Ep5 - Life from Red Clay

Started by Lomari, July 28, 2020, 07:23:56 pm

Lomari

Previously on The Darling...

The Away-Team

As the snowy dust settled, Jeb could be seen getting out of his vehicle, covered head to toe in furs and bracing himself against the wind to inspect the damage to the path ahead of them. In the back seat of the Darling's mule, Potter groaned softly and went limp, body sliding off Arlo's shoulder to rest horrifyingly across his lap. His breathing was quick, labored, and carried a wheeze. His skin was jaundiced, his body temperature high, and his skin covered in a sheen of sweat. The briefcase tumbled off his lap onto his feet, no longer attended or guarded.

The Home-Team

Another message notification beeped from Rian's cortex device: "Ther still here sir. Fuled up an repared but they aint leevin. 1'a them haz fancy hat, keeps smokin an lookin yer way from open cargo ramp. I think they lookin 4 ya."
CHARACTERS
Charity ~ Melody ~ Tabitha

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot

Barnaby Goodweather

"Confound it." Barnaby muttered, staring out the windscreen ahead of him as snow piled on their path. He sat there for a moment, contemplating their situation. They were well and truly cursed, Barnaby was beginning to be sure of it. Normally one for a sunny disposition, these clouds and winds and snowflakes all overcast his optimism. He should have taken everyone back when he had the chance. Hell, he shouldn't have left the ship at all. Damn that Potter. Barnaby glanced back to see the old man and Arlo were getting comfy with one another. Now the two of them are agreeable? Figured. "Everybody..." He didn't know what orders to give. Jeb came into view of the mule's headlights, partially obscured by the storm but visible all the same. "...Stay here." He said, pulled his hat tight over his ears, and exited the mule.

The fall down from the Mule was only a few feet, but finding himself buried then again by the snowdrifts really put the sour on. "Ruttin' gorram tarnation son of a mother-" Barnaby said, curses flowing freely in the light of recent events. He trudged, because that's all you can do when snow is around your legs, over to where Jeb stood surveying the damage. The pass no longer was. It was a stop. Barnaby sighed. "Well- I'm open to suggestions Mr. Jeb."
Dialogue Color - LightBlue

Mattie Rooney

The Away-Team

"Confound it."

What did I tell you? Mattie wanted to say, but bit her tongue, instead sinking deeper into the gloomy silence that had permeated her entire mule ride. She managed to hold her peace just long enough for the captain to leave the vehicle and start making his way through the snow and towards the roadblock ahead.

"What did I tell him?" She said out loud as she watched Barnaby's receding back. "I told him this was a bad idea and we oughta head back, didn't I? I told him!"

She turned to look for affirmation from the men in the backseat. "I ruttin' told him, didn't I?" Her infuriated gaze darted from the Preacher to Arlo to Mr. Dried Grasshopper Husk, whose skin tone was beginning to match the nickname. She twisted her face in disgust and turned to face forward again, sat still for a moment and then, with a barely audible grumble that may have been a profanity, shoved the passenger side door open and tumbled into the snow. Instead of following the captain, however, she remained right next to the Darling's vehicle, keeping an eye on him and Jeb from a distance.

Viktor Söderberg

Away Team

"Everybody...Stay here." He said, pulled his hat tight over his ears, and exited the mule.

"What did I tell him?" She said out loud as she watched Barnaby's receding back. "I told him this was a bad idea and we oughta head back, didn't I? I told him!"
She turned to look for affirmation from the men in the backseat. "I ruttin' told him, didn't I?" Her infuriated gaze darted from the Preacher to Arlo to Mr. Dried Grasshopper Husk.

Viktor felt like he had to defend his home. In a light voice he replied, "It's usually not this bad. We came during storm season. No one travels too far during storm season unless it's urgent."
He looked over to Arlo and shrugged as Mattie got out of the mule. "Mr. Potter must have something urgent to want to travel so far in this weather, right?" His tone had a pleading edge for the other man to affirm his statement. A request to relieve the guilt that this was his planet, and his judgement that left them knee high in snow on this mountain side.

Disregarding the orders given, Viktor followed in his Captain's wake glad for the ease of path the older man had left for him. He cleared his throat on his approach to not startle anyone, though he was sure they heard him crunching through the pre-packed snow.

Viktor interrupted whatever conversation was taking place in an attempt to make things right. He placed his left had on Barnaby's right shoulder from behind in friendly greeting and further attention getting.
"Sir, we should turn back. I'm sure Jeb here has a solid plan on continuing on," he tipped his head at the man, "but this can't have been in the pay considerations. Not to mention Mr. Potter doesn't look too much willing to survive us digging out this snowfall. We should turn back. Either go back to The Darling and wait it out or the long way around the mountains."

Rian Carpenter

August 07, 2020, 02:19:47 pm #4 Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:16:30 pm by HumanHyperbole
The Home Team

They got to the cargo bay and their new mechanic was gone. There wasn't a sound coming from the ship. He was speechless there for a moment. Tabby's arm still wrapped around his to coax him into a relaxing jaunt through the ship. At least that was the idea. But now that Riggs wasn't where he was supposed to be, he was worrying about that loud sound he'd heard earlier.

He looked around the room for a moment. Trying to find signs of a scuffle like blood or well any kinda hint and the mystery just deepened. The highest ranking crew-member on board found himself in quite the sudden staffing emergency. It was his first hour in charge and he'd lost half of the crew in his charge. He moved quickly to a microphone on the cargo bay wall. It was hooked up to the ship-wide PA system and he beckoned the errant mechanic.

"Riggs, your pee-gu better be on the latrine right now. Double back to the cargo bay after you wash your hands eh? Better yet just holler back at me over the intercom. There's one on the wall in most rooms."

Rian stood there for a moment by the intercom waiting. The unending wall of noise from the outside made it feel somewhere almost like too much, but so much that it all nearly homogenized into nothing, nearly silence. His right hand still rested atop his pistol. Index finger tapping out a beat synced up only to his level of anxiety. The former enforcer would take ten firefights than go through something like this. It was like walking on thin ice. Except instead of slipping and falling, its possibly a well trained assassin, versed in the art of silent death. Or Riggs is just dropping the kids off at the pool, as they say. It was that uncertainty. The possibility of any moment exploding into violence. And the possibility that this tenuous state may not end any time soon.

He sighed and looked over to Tabitha.

"You leave my sight, I'm kick'in your butt."

The gunhand jokingly wagged his finger at her. It seemed this was the only thing to do. Stay together, stay by the only way in, and out. Keep the ship safe, keep Tabby safe. They could try and find that damned engine-jockey later. All they could do is just... wait. The kid's message said they were being watched. But JUST that. But now that Riggs was gone he couldn't help but worry they had a fox in the hen-house.

Thackery Arlington III

Potter was in his lap.

Potter was in his lap.

Potter was in his lap.

Potter was in his lap.

Goodweather told everyone in the mule to stay, as though Arlo could move. He desperately, desperately wanted to. Because Potter, as he could not help but notice, was in his lap.

Mattie turned around from the front seat. Her gaze met Arlo's for a moment as she looked from one man to the next. Arlo tried to hold the gaze, silently begging for help, but it flicked onwards, and she said something that he could not interpret but sounded very cross.

Viktor also spoke. He seemed to be asking Arlo a question. "Hnnnnnnggg," Arlo replied.

Potter was in his lap.

Lomari

Ship Time: 1330
Ship Location: Secondary Claim, St, Albans
Mule Location: A secondary road to Primary Claim.

The Away-Team:

"Well- I'm open to suggestions Mr. Jeb," Barnaby called over the wind. Their new companion turned his head to stare in the other man's direction, eyes peeking out from behind the furs and fabrics over his face, gaze narrowed from the brightness of the snow and the onslaught of the frosted gale. A hand lifted, index finger hooking over the face covering and pulling it down just enough to expose his nose and mouth. "Not sure what to do here! Could try digging it up, but we're like to get frostbit 'fore makin' any progress! Could double back," he shouted back at Barnaby as Viktor approached the pair of them.

"Sir, we should turn back. I'm sure Jeb here has a solid plan on continuing on, but this can't have been in the pay considerations. Not to mention Mr. Potter doesn't look too much willing to survive us digging out this snowfall. We should turn back. Either go back to The Darling and wait it out or the long way around the mountains."

The pile of furs nodded back at the preacher, lips pursed and upper lip now glistening with the unbidden running of his frozen nose. "If you got injured, this ain't the way," he agreed, nodding vigorously so they would be able to see the gesture under all the coverings. "Mountain pass ain't bad, gonna take you some time though. Might be best to head back to Secondary, if that's where you came from. But from the looks of it, blizzard is headed there with an awful hurry," he shouted, pulling the face fabric back up over his nose and shivering a little in place.

Back in the Mule, Potter breathed slow and heavy, his body like bricks in Arlo's lap. He didn't seem like he'd be moving any time soon and both of his hands remained limp and useless, the briefcase resting against Arlo's feet. He inhaled, then coughed violently, a little bile dripping from his mouth onto poor Alo's fancy pants. He was warm, the utter fire of his body finally radiating through his own clothing to begin heating up the man serving as his bed. Had he always been this warm? Or was it a fever? Or was Arlo imagining it all as he panicked.

The Home-Team:

"Riggs, your pee-gu better be on the latrine right now. Double back to the cargo bay after you wash your hands eh? Better yet just holler back at me over the intercom. There's one on the wall in most rooms."

Rian's voice echoed through the ship and Tabby cupped her hands around the backs of her ears to listen for a response. And yet, none came. Where could he have gone? The doors were all still locked up tight and while the Darling was large, she wasn't infinite. The amount of hiding places weren't very large, unless you knew where to look.

"You leave my sight, I'm kick'in your butt," Rian threatened half-seriously. The doctor saluted and grinned brightly up at him, having no intention of running off and adding to his stress. When this was all over they'd make their s'mores, have some nice chamomile tea, and wait for their crew to return all happy and safely bundled up.

"Maybe he's sleeping?" Tabby guessed, making her way to the old mechanic's hidey-hole and crouching down by the hatch, trying to remember how to open it. There was another clatter back upstairs and out of the cargo bay as something slipped off who knows what and landed with an echoing thud on the metal grated flooring.
CHARACTERS
Charity ~ Melody ~ Tabitha

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot