The Darling Francine - A Second Life project

Started by Rigger "Riggs" Mirton, May 27, 2020, 04:12:04 pm

Rigger "Riggs" Mirton

May 27, 2020, 04:12:04 pm Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:08:04 am by noseatbelts
Hi Everyone,
The object of this topic is to document my construction of the Darling Francine in Second Life.
Im hoping that one complete, it will be able to give the crew, and anyone who wants to see, more f a 3d scale of the ship and how its configured.
I will post pics as often as it worth while and today I have included images of the Cargo Bay. I have started with this as, simply its the biggest open space in the ship and really does give an impression of how big the Darling Francine really is.

The pictures I've added today are taken from the lower level and although the walls are grey in texture you can see the shape of it. The ceiling looks like wood at the moment but please bear in mind that it is actually a little higher again.

Rigger "Riggs" Mirton

May 28, 2020, 01:02:54 am #1 Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:09:12 am by noseatbelts
Thanks to my dear friend insomnia, I managed to do some more work this morning.
The cargo deck is now all laid out, there are a few things Im not sure on what they are, and a couple of things that don't really make much sense in their location (ladder in a tube) not sure any of these serve a purpose but they are going in cos they look great.
I have also decided that Im not going to build the interior inside the exterior. That may sound a little bit like madness but, building things in tight spaces is irritating, plus building it like this makes it feel like a "Set" , once youre in it, it will feel like you are on the Darling Francine!
A couple more pics to show you what I've done, its hard to make out the fwd section and there are two decks there so it doesn't really work, plus you cant really see it at the moment but the engine room is in.

Rigger "Riggs" Mirton

May 28, 2020, 09:44:05 am #2 Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:09:21 am by noseatbelts
A quick view and an explanation.

So, the reason for all the Grey! When you build something in Second Life, it all has a wood texture on it, which is nice if you are building something made of wood. If youre not then it can be a pain. In addition, once I have built the ship, I will optomise it down to the minimum number of pieces (there are limits as to how many you can "connect"). This means I have to limit each "part" to no more than 8 different textures. If all the parts are inherently one consistant one it makes things much easier.

So that's why its grey (for now)

Rigger "Riggs" Mirton

May 31, 2020, 01:46:53 pm #3 Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:09:31 am by noseatbelts
Its been a busy DIY weekend so not much to show by means of an update but Im slowly getting to grips with the cargo area. as seen below. Lighting hasn't been added yet so it does look a little gloomy

Rigger "Riggs" Mirton

May 31, 2020, 10:54:33 pm #4 Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:09:39 am by noseatbelts
Bit more work on the Cargo area, not sure if this is the kind of colour scheme people were thinking of for the inside. I'm happy to hear alternatives.
Shutters on the fault area are done, (its behind the cargo container) and the Mule bay is pretty much there. So for this section its just the doors, the two offices, the engine room and prettifying. Then its time for the difficult area, the Crew decks!