Season 1, Ep 2: Are We Big Damn Heroes?

Started by Tojoyama, March 08, 2020, 01:05:13 PM

Tojoyama

The four members of the Alliance Quad had been professional and polite. One of them, Gunnery Sgt Jack 'Hickory' Hailey, approached and offered work. Though the specifics were still to be discussed, Hickory indicated to former acquaintance Newt Declan that he was part of an anti-slavery group that wished to target a slavery ring which had a 'processing' place out on the edge of the rim.

With the exception of Mylena Yee, Newt Declan and Travis Chao the rest of the company disbursed after receiving their share of the bounties.

Travis Chao left Mylena and Newt on their little shuttle, Ruby Rose. The shuttle was now theirs after putting in the payment on the rent and purchase clause of the rental contract. Dizzy did a little repairs before she took off. Travis wished her well and hoped she'd be back. She seemed to have a good hold on the little ship and how to keep it flying.

Chao headed into the Greenleaf Skyplex to look for some hired help. A mechanic and perhaps a gun. From what Hickory had told them, and some of it had been restricted, but he did say to dress for very cold. 'No matter where we land.' Well, that usually meant St. Albans.

Mylena Yee

Once the Alliance personnel had taken off Mylena headed back in and retrieved her fur.  She felt kind of bad about it now, but on the other hand the animal was already dead, no sense letting the death be in vain.  Once they got back to the shuttle she rummaged in her case and made some willow bark tea for her ribs and made a plaster of willow and eucalyptus to make it a little easier to breath and sooth her ribs before placing her arm in a sling to rest her shoulder.  She wouldn't let Newt fret over her too much, even though he tried.  She spent a day or so resting and taking it easy, spending much of her time in meditation.

When she was feeling better she set about making the room on the shuttle that she and Newt had claimed as their own feel like a home, rather that just a room on a rented shuttle. 
Pale death visits with impartial foot, the cottages of the poor and the castles of the rich.

Newt Declan

Newt knew that Mylena wouldn't allow him to fret over her much,but he also knew that she was deeply aware at just how much her Star loved her. Newt made it his duty while they were docked on the station  to pamper his beloved.

He picked up her favorite noodle dish along with some rice wine. He selected a few Sunflowers into a romantic bouquet. The last thing took a bit more skill to find as well as skill to master. But for his Spark he would hold back a supernova if needed.

The last item was Solar Moon Icecream on a stick. Only a few vendors actually knew how to properly make it, though many would try to duplicate the secret. With items in hand and a smile upon his face,Newt would return to their little slice of the Verse.
He would present his love with all the kisses and keep her safe until she felt more comfortable.

Travis Chao

Travis greeted Newt and Dizzy while Mylena recuperated. He had already passed on his accolades to everyone for their valiant performance and heroic actions. It was part in jest but all sincere. He liked these new folk and hoped their association would last.

This new venture though made him worry. This was vigilante type work, noble perhaps, but definitely in the gray area. And that was a rationalization.

"I'm going on station to check out these old mates of yours Newt, do a little background check, make sure we're not getting hoodwinked into something we'd best fly clear of.  Dizzy, you mind coming along and we'll pick up those parts you want for Rose."

After a bit of general conversation he headed out to prepare for their meeting later with mister Hickory and others.

"When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or person, don't be surprised they learn the lesson."

Dizzy Mcgee

"I'm going on station to check out these old mates of yours Newt, do a little background check, make sure we're not getting hoodwinked into something we'd best fly clear of.  Dizzy, you mind coming along and we'll pick up those parts you want for Rose.

Looking up from the laptop as Travis called out to her, she gave a slight smile at oppotunity to get off the ship much less a chance to go parts hunting.

Sure thing let's see what we can dig up especially as nothing worse than being stuck in the arse end of the verse and not having that spool of wire or a roll of fancy tape.[/color]

she says closing the lid of her laptop and packing it into her day bag which she now threw onto her back in one almost smooth motion as she hopped up and went after Travis.

Anything in perticular you want me to be on the look out for?

Mylena Yee

It had taken a few days of rest to recuperate.  She actually rested, though she wouldn't really let Newt fret much over her. Only a little.  Soon she was back on her feet and decorating the room they had claimed as their own upon the Ruby Rose.  Even if it was only temporary, for now it was home.

She hung the silk panels from the ceiling, using zip ties to hold them in place to the duct work.  The fur she had purchased planet-side was on the floor beside their bed.  The bed was covered with her soft silk bedding and lush comforter. 

Her fancy glass cut bottles of oils and perfumes, her incense holders, her crystals, all placed to be aesthetically pleasing.  She had stowed her trunk away and left Newt plenty of room to unpack his things and make the room feel like theirs and not just hers.  The overall sense was of something permanent, of home, of a future.
Pale death visits with impartial foot, the cottages of the poor and the castles of the rich.

Travis Chao

Travis had scribbled down the names of the friendly Gunnery Sgt Jack 'Hickory' Hailey and the others in the 'quad squad' that they had met on Planet Greenleaf below. He had earlier stopped by the small and only little Bail Bonds office, more of a secretary and drop off spot than office. After making himself known, and accepting the congratulations on the job well done of recent days, he asked for information on Sgt Hailey and Lt. Bolger and the others.

On the way to the office he inquired of Dizzy to do a little work out of her job description. "I'll be going to meet our patron Sgt. Hickory tonight. So, after you do your shopping and get your gear back to Rose, I was wondering if you might go to our meeting place early. Those boy didn't get much of a look at you, and I thought you might get to the Dock's Tavern and do a little sitting close and listen and such. Then be our eyes and have our backs when Mylena, Newt and I come along later?"

They stopped at the Bailbonds office. A few very generic reports on the Alliance Soldiers. Not to indicate any reason to be wary. "I'll see you later then Dizzy, I've got a couple stops to make myself.

After leaving Dizzy he got a message on the meeting time and commend Rose Red, "Newt, Mylena, we're on to meet Hickory at 2100 at the Dock's Tavern. Dizzy will be there early to do a little recon, so don't let on she's with us just yet."

"When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or person, don't be surprised they learn the lesson."

Newt Declan

Newt had been doing some light errands and was looking for something special to surprise Mylena with. He had heard some rumors regarding an item that he thought would be perfect. As he was closing in on his destination he received a coded message from Travis.

Something minor kept popping up in Travis's talks regarding their new job venture that Newt thought best to address. He stopped to reply,sending a return coded message.Travis pardon my confusion, but you have referred to Sgt. Hickory a few times as being a friend of mine. I'm more on acquaintance terms with him as he participated in a conference I had given a lecture at. I just thought best to get that out in the open so as not to offer any false sense of securities. Treat this as any other client and continue to do your diligence in checking out his claim. Will see you soon."

Returning to the Ruby Rose, Newt had a small package wrapped in parchment paper with a pretty ribbon bow attached. Scribbled in his handwriting with a drawn heart were the words To Mylena my Spark

Making his way down the stairs into the cargo area were their crew residents had been selected. Honey I'm home! Mylena? You down here?

Mylena Yee

Mylena was indeed in their room getting ready for their meet up later that evening.  It would be a far different young woman that would accompany Newt and Travis to the Dock's Tavern.  This young woman looked as sleek and fierce as the jungle cat the soldiers had been tracking out in the green.  Encased in black leathers from her jacket to her low heeled boots, her jet black hair worn loose down her back and caught in a leather lariat at the nape of her neck. Slung low on her right hip was the sleek modern gun she and Becker had trained with before they were forced to leave Ronin.

She was thinking if him as she strapped on and secreted the dozen or so bladed weapons that seemed to disappear into her form until the only visible weapon was the over-sized and very obvious gun.  Michael-chan had made sure she knew how to use it, even though she disliked firearms in general.  She was deadly with her rifle and the sawed off shotgun was her usual firearm of choice for close combat, but something like this, flashy and begging for attention made a statement.  It was a slick gun for someone who thought they were slick.  Loud mouthed, brash, a lot of bluster and likely not a lot of skill once you took the gun away.  People would see the gun, not the girl.  That would be their first mistake.  She'd chosen her make up with the same care. 

When she heard Newt's voice she grabbed the black leather studded stampede hat and settled it on her head, tipping it forward rakishly, and heading up to find him.  "Getting ready for our meeting.  Did you get Travis-san's message?"

Dizzy Mcgee

Quote from: Travis Chao on March 31, 2020, 08:59:35 PM"I'll be going to meet our patron Sgt. Hickory tonight. So, after you do your shopping and get your gear back to Rose, I was wondering if you might go to our meeting place early. Those boy didn't get much of a look at you, and I thought you might get to the Dock's Tavern and do a little sitting close and listen and such. Then be our eyes and have our backs when Mylena, Newt and I come along later?"

She nodded Travis laid out the plan, not that she was especially happy about playing spy games in a tavern. People unlike machines were unpredicatable and throw alcohol into the mix and it only got worse. Still it was a good plan so she quickly made her way back to the ship stashing her finds from the market and pack.

Doing a quick check of her pistol and taking a moment to compose herself she heads out for the tavern

Tojoyama

April 08, 2020, 07:13:51 PM #10 Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:39:38 AM by Tojoyama
Travis picked up some personal items and checked on the prices for some cold weather gear. If this job went through it sounded like they would need it. He figured to front the money from their general fund.

. . . .
Dock's Tavern
It was Doc's Tavern, but some years back it had been sold. Then sold again and a k was scratched on the sign.
If anyone on the station said they were going to Doc's, the local knew what was meant.

Dizzy found a good seat at the bar that had a good look at the majority of the booths. Others were beginning to stream in. A sign promising live music later looked old and rather generic.

The bar nearly filled up with locals. They were friendly enough, shift ending happy hour working folk having couple drinks before moving on to their. "Waz your name?" "I'm Huffy, station life support." "Hey Brute, how's it hanging." "Lower than you Space."

Two of the military squad entered just before 2100, looked the place over and sat not far from Dizzy. Hickory and the Lieutenant. The sat across from each other in a large booth with benches on both sides. It would fit six easy enough. It was hard to hear everything but Dizzy got the gist. They were talking about her crew. ".. checks out.." ".. indentured servant..." ".. met him while back... good sort...". ".. and they got a flying crew, which is what we need..."

Travis arrived a few minutes early, having arranged for Newt and Mylena to arrive on time. He greeted them. They made room. Beers arrived. A map was produced. Travis deliberately showed some discomfort at having the map out in the open.

Newt Declan

Newt's mouth held open probably a bit longer than it should at seeing Mylena. She was intoxicating as ever. He couldn't help but feel the urge to freshen up and make himself more presentable.

Seeing her beauty certainly had a way of fogging up his senses,as he almost forgot about the package in his hand. Newt now attempted to regain some composure rather than continue to look like a teenager out on his first date. Presenting the little package from behind his back with a loving smile.

"Sweetie I saw these and thought of you immediately."

As he held out the token of his affection he began to describe it's contents even before Mylena had a chance to open it.
"It's a set of Tortoiseshell hair combs with Cherry Blossom carved inlays. I'm told crafted by one of the local tribes down below. I just had to get them. I kept picturing them tucked into your hair with you smiling."

Newt moved closer into his love placing an arm gently about her waist pulling her close for a kiss.

"Give me five minutes to change my shirt and wash off a bit. Can't have your guy not looking his best."

Mylena Yee

The stone cold killer melted before Newt's eyes.  She softened and it was just his Mylena playing dress up.  She kissed him passionately, then pulled away to open the package making soft sounds of appreciation.  "After this we'll make plans that involve a slinky dress and perhaps a lovely dinner out, maybe dancing?"  She smiled and kissed him again and then gave him a playful pop on his backside.  "Go freshen up so we aren't late.  Travis-san was quite clear. about that."

Newt and Mylena made it there exactly on time, as per the plan.  She let Newt take the lead and stayed quiet, looking more like a paid body guard than loving girlfriend to those who might be paying attention.

Tojoyama

The Doc's Tavern

Dizzy didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The two men, the Lieutenant and Hickory seemed to be rather nonchalant about everything, even after they were joined by Travis, Mylena and Newt. She couldn't see the map that Lt. Bolger produced, but Travis sort of folded it over or something. No one else in the bar seemed suspicious. A couple of the local men were friendly, offered a drink for her. They were not belligerent or offensive, just locals drinkers enjoying their home bar. "Don't mind us miss" "Yah, we harmless" "Not that we mean tuh be, juss are." "Hheh eh haha"

At the table Travis didn't hide his unease at discussing such a dangerous and frankly illegal vigilante plan out in public. Lt. Bolger laid it out though. It looked simple, though as Travis could easily gauge, so could Mylena and Newt.

- The plan involved the group to depart Greenleaf Station on a ship that was being lent to them by a patron. They would fly around the Red Sun, stop at New Melbourne where they would pretend to pick up slaves to sell. Then they would fly to St. Albans and the Slaver Station.
 - Some of their group would be sold to the Station, where they would free themselves and others. In the meantime the soldiers would assault the station instead of leaving. The details of that to still be worked out. The soldiers had a couple of others that they would meet at New Melbourne that would be part of the 'fake slaves'.

Travis Chao

Travis studied the two soldiers, his caution didn't seem to affect them. They seemed confident and sure of themselves. Mylena and Newt he wasn't so sure of. Asking Mylena, given what he knew of her, she seemed ideal for the 'undercover' slave. He looked her in the eye to see if she provided any reaction.

"Sounds interesting. I think we need to discuss ourselves and consider."

He turned to Mylena and Newt, "Any questions?"

Travis would give them plenty of time to ask and question, then would excuse them. And invite the soldier to come to Rose Red where they could discuss, if they chose to accept the mission, further.

Mylena Yee

Mylena stayed mostly quiet during the meeting. Not that she didn't have questions, she just didn't feel comfortable asking them.  She leaned closer to Newt, voice soft in his ear. "I would know who our patron is and of the ones who would pretend to be slaves." She was quiet a few more moments before she continued. "I could play the part, you know it was what I was born and bred to be.  But before I'd willingly slip on those chains again I'd have to be sure, that I could trust those standing with us.  I would not enter that life, nor be separated from you again my Star."

He could feel the tension in her.  Her eyes sought out those of Travis, she looked to him as defacto Captain of their little crew.  She didn't think it likely he would put them in any unnecessary danger.  But they did need work and this at least was a worthy undertaking.

Travis Chao

Dizzy didn't find anything odd or unusual in her little covert observation role, and she had been able to hear the gist of the conversation, which meant maybe others did too.

Back at Ruby Rose Travis gave everyone a few minutes to settle in.

A message came in about the ship that they would have temporary use of was ready for them. It included enough room for R2 in the cargo deck.

Travis then called them together. "I think we go. At least as far as New Melbourne. We can see how the entire operation is laid out, get a better sense of our new acquaintances."

A look at each of them: Dizzy, Mylena, Newt. His gang. His crew?

He looked over the ship they would have use of, "And a pretty ship to get some rest and relaxations."

Newt Declan

The meeting had gone well as meetings go. Newt took his ques from Travis when needed,not wishing to overstep his boundaries. However he was in agreement with Mylena regarding the need to know more intricate details.

Newt had a great deal of experience in rescuing slaves and he never went into a mission without knowing every possible angle. It was just too dangerous for those being recovered and for those engaged in the recovery to go blindly into it.

He had a contact he could send an encrypted wave to,see if these were legitimate folk. She would know if anyone would,he knew she wouldn't let any harm come to Mylena or him.

Whispering back to his beloved. "I think I need to send our mutual friend a wave. Perhaps see what words are on the wind about these and those needing rescue.

Tojoyama

It didn't take long for Newt to get a reply from his old contact, going by Lil-Miz-Tub-Man now. "Gud folk, gud hart, gud bak ing, gud folk, no sperience. Gud Luk."

The ship that was lined up was a beauty. Someone was providing some serious backing. The specs were solid, the set up of the interiors shots looked like a derelict. It was perfect for such a mission.

Travis Chao looked through the documents. He seemed torn about the whole thing. For a while he seemed excited as he reviewed, then he looked skeptical.

Dizzy McGee was right well pleased with the schematics of their 'temp' ship. It looked sound as an anvil.

Mylena Yee

Mylena actually felt a little better after getting the wave from Maria Barcello.  It had been a surprise when she found out that Newt had previous worked freeing slaves for the woman who had granted Mylena her very own freedom.  It was part of why she felt such an attachment to Newt, in such a vast Verse that they managed to find one another.

While the message had been coded and broken up, it certainly didn't sound like the well spoken woman who now ran a casino on Parth, she would trust Maria with her life.  If she felt they were good people then Mylena wouldn't doubt her assessment, though she would proceed cautiously.  She would certainly want to make sure the people going undercover as slaves with her were reliable.  She wouldn't risk ending up a slave once again.  Though if anything went wrong she trusted her beloved Star and Travis-san to rescue her. 

She had no problem voicing her opinions to the rest of her crew, making sure that they were all in agreement.  If Travis or Dizzy felt unsure of the job that would be that though. She only had one question, which was did they think they needed to hire a little extra muscle.  She would have felt better had Becker-chan still been around, or perhaps Luke.