Episode 4: Sectors/Shops

Started by Lomari, February 10, 2020, 09:47:43 AM

Jedikiah Rembo

February 18, 2020, 10:43:56 AM #20 Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:10:56 AM by Jedikiah Rembo

Jedikiah waited for his turn at the Karaoke Machine to do 'Blackpool Prison Blues', a very old country blues song reworded over the last couple centuries.

As it appeared quite occupied for the foreseeable future he returned his full attention and mindfulness to a small glass of thick dark beer and watched the other patrons.
Yang Style Tai Chi and Shaolin Kung Fu
 - And Medical Practitioner

Martin Miller

February 18, 2020, 07:48:40 PM #21 Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 08:05:00 PM by Martin Miller
Earlier:

The Courtesan's first mission as the central spoke of a bounty hunting enterprise didn't go to plan. Their one target who turned out to be two very squirrelly twins weren't an easy pair to bring in. One tried to run off with a bag over his head and ran straight into one of the running vertical takeoff turbines for their shuttle. Luckily the Miller sisters had things covered and brought the other living mark back in one very drunk piece. Ten hours of interrogation on the way back to the core with Mason and Matilda he was ready to hand over the funds they'd embezzled, mostly to get them to stop arguing with each other.

The family picked up a bonus fat enough to bail out the family nest egg before they retired the family business for good. Marty was happy to help get the family back on its feet and got to pretend there was a minute where he'd been top dog, even if they'd probably have just demoted him back to pilot if they got any more high stakes gigs. Hell, Marty was pretty sure half of them who voted for him as Captain only did so strategically, not expecting anyone else to vote for him.

Marty stepped out onto the docks once again. He wasn't pissed this time. There was a race today. And just about nobody save Lil' Sebastian knew he was going to be a last minute entry in today's run. His last minute arrival should help spur a whole lot of last minute bets given his rivalry with Leon and that's why the tiny crime lord was ready to furnish him with a ride for today's jaunt around the track.

The funny thing was, while their supposed rivalry was often the talk of the station bar, Marty and Leon actually got on fine. They were both just good racers, and both always left it all out on the track. In the cockpit, that man was his mortal enemy. But if they were having a drink after the race they always had to pretend to argue once anyone started to get close.

As the man of many prior professions strutted down the halls he held his head high. Sure things have been going a bit tzao gao at every new job he tried. These races were a damn good fall back job, and sure beat going back home to collect veteran benefits he didn't think he deserved. On his way to the karaoke bar he chuckled at the guy who'd just gotten his knee-caps drummed on with a hammer.

Wrong station to act fresh, mate.

Miller's day was definitely going better than that guy's. Rounding the bend he saw the sign for the bar. Putting on a smile, he stepped through the threshold.

Karaoke Bar

The young pilot had just been told to show face in the bar once he was back in the station. They didn't give him too much else beyond that, so he improvised from here. Cupping his hands to amplify his voice he bellowed out:

"DID SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT A RACE??!"

Half the faces that turned to him just looked annoyed. Better reaction than he was expecting. Shrugging it off, Marty turned his attention to the barkeep.

"Pre-race drink, mate! The usual, please and thanks."

He drummed rapidly on the bar as the drink was begrudgingly mixed. One part ice, two parts cranberry juice, and two spoonfuls of Billy Bo's five alarm hot sauce. They were profoundly wrong when all mixed together and made him feel like he wanted to die. And it was exactly the jolt he needed to kick his brain into the right gear to tear those turns apart.

The wheelman slammed his now empty glass back down on the counter and threw his hands up in the air as he exclaimed:

"Whoo!!! ---- Bollocks that is rubbish but it does the job!"

He turned around and scanned the crowd as he waited for the after taste to fade.

Lomari

February 19, 2020, 08:49:45 AM #22 Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:29:13 PM by Lomari

"Here's to finding a job and maybe some real money," Devon said and Reggie smiled back in response, ducking his chin for a moment to return the gesture. His head turned as a gentleman was pressed into the counter by the swelling tide of workers, and then left clinging to the bar top like a confused barnacle just to the right of where Devon had downed some of her whiskey.

"Ahh Tender, a tall glass of...um, whatever passes as your local brew," Chris requested and the bartender  was quick to set a glass down and fill it with their 'local brew', a bracing, burning, high alcohol concentrate 'vodka' made on station. "Nice to see newer faces," Reggie said politely as he pushed the glass forward an inch or so toward Chris' waiting hand. Like with Jed, he set a paper with the man's tab behind the bar. Chris' data pad buzzed, informing him of a response to his job inquiry. In the message, a very polite Captain asked for the man's references.

Finally, thankfully, Leon finished his song, his falsetto ringing out and fading away as he cocked his hip to the side at some unnatural angle and ran his free hand over his shining oiled hair. The ladies applauded and screamed at an appropriate amount, clambering to get closer to the station celebrity.

"DID SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT A RACE??!" a familiar voice rang out. Leon looked up with wide eyes, gaze darting around until they spotted Martin Miller waltzing into the bar. His eyes lit up and his smile widened before the racer coughed and recomposed himself. Swaggering off the little platform that served as a stage, he set the mic down next to Jed's elbow with a loud 'clang', having seen him waiting in line for the machine. All his attention, however, was focused on Marty.

"Well, well, well," Leon began, his voice loud and theatrical and sneering, "The proh-gi-dahl son returns, eh?" he asked, kicking his feet out with every step, hips moving side to side with pronounced effort, his thumbs tucked into his bedazzled white leather belt.

"Pre-race drink, mate! The usual, please and thanks," Reggie grimaced and slid what he'd equate to putting 'whatever was in the pantry' into a glass and slid it over to the pilot, his head shaking at the regrettable idea of  having that recipe burned into his memory.  When Marty had finished the drink and turned around, there was Leon with his gaggle of gals, his hands on his hips and his chin tilted upward as he eyed the other racer. "You think you can come back here and steal my title?" he asked, loudly, making sure all around could hear what he said. It seemed to work, then, the annoyed faces of the onlookers turning into curious interest and sudden realization that they were privy to a special show here.

Reggie moved back down the bar toward where Devon sat, "Looks like the races tonight are going to be crowded, will you be participating?" he asked, leaving his question vague enough that it could have meant 'watching' or 'racing' in place of 'participating'.

The Tall Man turned his attention toward where Arlo stood at the counter, his smile fading and his brows furrowing. He didn't know the other man was mentally staring at him as he felt like he should tell the guy to mind his own business. But, as he still didn't really know for sure that he wasn't minding his own business, he opted out of trying to drive the stranger's face into the furniture.

The Young Man's eyes lit up as Alice approached and he reached up to straighten the bandage on his head and run his hands swiftly over his head, trying to pat down his hair and only succeeding in messing it up all the more until it stuck out in all directions. "Awful kind a' ya', Miss," he murmured shyly as she led them to a booth, although the Tall Man moved much slower and far more reluctantly than his younger partner.

Alice slipped away as soon as she could, approaching the table in which Moira had trapped herself and Angela stood hovering near. "What can I get the two of you to drink?" Alice asked. As she waited for their response, the Tall Man entered her personal space bubble. "Are you the owner?" he asked curtly, staring daggers into the back of her head. He was clearly less interested in food than the other one, but the tone of his voice did not imply romance either, or physical interest. The question was quick, curt, and emotionless. Back at the table, the Young Man sat criss-cross-applesauce with the Menu laid out before him and his grin taking up most of his face.
CHARACTERS
Charity ~ Melody ~ Tabitha

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot

Jedikiah Rembo

The Karaoke Bar

It didn't look like anyone would be too interested in the blues at the moment. Jedikiah considered something more appropriate as he picked up the Karaoke microphone. Something relevant, though he was not sure all the ancient references would make any sense, he wasn't sure what they all were either, but the song had a great words and was easy to sing, even for a hack like him.

It was a fun song.

"Have you heard the story of the hot rod race,
Where the Fords 'n' Lincolns were settin' the pace?
That story is true, I'm here to say,
That I was drivin' that Model-A.

All of a sudden in the wink of an eye,
Cadillac sedan passed us by.
I said "Boys that's the mark for me,"
By then the tailight was all you could see.

Wound it up to a hunderd an' ten,
My speedometer said that I hit top end.
My foot was glued like lead to the floor,
That's all there is an' there ain't no more.

Now the boys all thought I'd lost my sense,
Them telephone poles looked like a picket fence.
They said "slow down, I see spots,"
The lines on the road just looked like dots.

We had flames comin' from outta the side,
You could feel the tension, man whatta ride.
I said "look out boys, I got a license to fly,"
And that Caddy pulled over and let us by.

They arrested me 'n' they put me in jail,
'n they called my pappy to throw my bail,
'n he said "son you're gonna drive me ta drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that - hot - rod - Lincoln. "

Jedikiah smiled. That had been fun. Good thing the words flowed across the screen. It had been decades since he'd heard the song. He sat the Microphone down next to the machine and returned to sip on the dark beer.

Angela Evans

"Good to see you back as well. Hope you had a productive day. What can I get the two of you to drink?" Alice asked them. They turned their head to stare blankly at the proprietor of the establishment, free hand slipping back into the pocket of their pressed slacks. They didn't think their day had been productive, at least, not productive enough.

"Oh, I'm afraid I can't stay for long-- I just wanted to apologize. About this morning. I was rude. Orville loved the pastries. He's got such an appetite, I hardly got a bite myself-" The woman whom she'd been eyeing at the booth began, attempting to stave off the offers for a beverage. Strange, wasn't it? To enter an eating establishment with no intention of partaking. She watched the panic in her eyes, the tensing of her shoulders, the final turn in Angela's direction mid sentence.

"Can I help you?" Moira asked.

"Are you alright?" Angela answered, their voice a posh, polished Londinium accent, the tone soft but stern and lacking any of the typical emotion that might have followed such a  question. "Your body language and demeanor suggest you are feeling frustration or sadness, is this accurate?" they continued, looking at the empty booth and finally sitting in it, back stiff and posture professional. "Coffee, black," they ordered again, glancing up at Alice and noticing the behemoth approaching from behind her. Their attention split itself accordingly, background processes running seamlessly in the back of their mind as they turned to look at Moira once more. 

Devon McKinney

February 19, 2020, 11:21:49 AM #25 Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:26:18 AM by Devon McKinney

The man child yelling about a race and ordering a drink caught Devon's attention, especially as the howler monkey and his entourage approached the bar.  It was more random curiosity than anything else.  She turned her attention back to Reggie and shrugged, "Dunno. Was supposed ta race fer Lil Sebastian but he never got in touch with me about it." She didn't really care one way or another.  Though betting on the race might be a way to make a little quick scratch in the meantime. She turned her attention back to the other two racers, sizing them up, tongue darting out to wet her lips.

Alese “Alice” Westergaard

Location Alice's Restaurant

Alice shook her head lightly at Moira's apology. " No need for apologies, was rude of me to just pop in unannounced.  I'm glad your assistant, Orville is it? Liked the pastries. Are you sure you won't stay and have a bite?" She turned to acknowledge Angela again. "I'll be back with your coffee in 2 shakes.  It's hopping tonight."  With that she turned to deal with the behemoth's question, not seeming off put at all by his proximity or the bluntness of his question. "I'm Alice. Give me just a moment and I'll be around with your drinks and to take your order, as well as help with any questions you have." She didn't wait for a reply or response, but ducked neatly around him, heading back into the kitchen.

She emerged a few moments later, setting a garden salad with house vinaigrette and a steaming slab of chicken pot pie before Arlo giving him another warm smile, then grabbing Angela's coffee and drinks for the behemoth and the boy, dropping off Angela's coffee, then heading to deal with whatever questions needed to be handled at the table where the boy sat waiting criss-cross-applesauce.

Chris Lee Kayne

With drink in hand, Chris gave a pleasant smile and a nod at the bartender. "Appreciated friend. I just landed station side not too long ago, pretty nice place so far." This pleasant smile however was replaced with a slight grimace as the rather loud and obnoxious man approached the bar with his posse.  It was hard to ignore, but out of a morbid curiosity Christ turned a glance.  Taking it in for what it was, a group of loud fools bragging about something, he simply dismissed it.

Turning to his drink and taking a sip he'd freeze, clear his throat and continue drinking.  His mostly quiet sipping was only interrupted by his data-pad informing him of the response.  A quick glance and a thoughtful furrow of his brow was cut off by a snap of his fingers as a thought came to him.  He'd put down the contact code for the Merchant Vessel he flew in on, and the cross planetary code of his family scrap yard.  Never working outside of the family business this was the best he could come up with.  Once sent, he lifted his drink sipping away at it as his body turned to glance over the busy bar with a bit of an amused smile.  The liquid courage in his hand helped settle his frayed nerves just a bit.

Moira Chambers

"Are you alright? Your body language and demeanor suggest you are feeling frustration or sadness, is this accurate?"

"None of your damn business," Moira wanted to say.

"I'm alright, thank you very much," she said out loud, although there was not much gratitude in her expression. When Alice checked if she was sure she didn't want to stay for dinner, she simply shook her head. "Maybe some other time."

That should've been it, and Moira would've just gotten up and walked out if it weren't for the fact that her interrogator took a seat across the table from her, no permission asked. She almost did just get up and walk out anyway, but something about her unwelcome dinner date gave her pause.

"Did Sebastian send you?" They didn't look like his usual crew, but you could never be too sure. After all, in a sense, Moira herself was part of Sebastian's crew now, and she at least hoped she didn't look the part. She glanced in the direction of the two men who'd entered the restaurant earlier, but they seemed to be more interested in Alice than her.
Dialogue color: mediumpurple
Owner of Prime Cuts

Arlo Fisher

February 20, 2020, 06:21:06 PM #29 Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:27:12 PM by Arlo Fisher

Arlo was scanning the room as his meal was presented to him. Such a delightful arrangement,the smells alone engaging his senses and appetite. Certainly a busy place for one person to tend to,but the young lady did appear to have a calm control over the establishment. It was a joy to see her at work, impressive to one who knew the hardships of restaurant life.

Arlo however would keep his attentions on guard, just in case he could offer assistance. The portion before him was ample and the recipe certainly of the highest quality. Taking a bite, his tastebuds came to life, exploring a delicate array of flavors. He allowed himself to savor the moment before sipping upon his coffee once more.

Making eye contact with Alice as she passed to and fro,Arlo offered a respectful bow as well as an exaggerated kiss of his fingers.

Martin Miller

Karaoke Bar

"Why, yes. I think I will."

Marty plopped his coin onto the bar and stepped forward towards the Frenchman. He stared him dead in the eye, grin on his face. It was fun to be mixing it up again. Making a big show of it for the fans like they were professional wrestlers in the days of Earth That Was. He then looked to each of the ladies and then back to Leon.

"And if any of you happen to find your evening wanting, room 603."

Miller straightened his jacket and gave one of the girls a wink.

"I really should get going though..."

He made an exaggerated face as he looked at the time on the watch he wasn't wearing.

"I"ve gotta go get prepped though, 'is mum gets real anxious if I don't call and promise to take it easy on her little angel, poor thing."

Marty had actually called her before, but only to tell her the whole thing was an act and her son was his mate. Swinging back around he gave the barkeep a little salute and left an extra tip. As he went to leave he gave Leon a mock friendly pat on the back that was actually friendly and leaned in for just a moment.

"Really though, tell your mum I said 'ello."

With that the swaggering wheelman was sauntering back out of the bar and towards the docks. He could feel those pre-race butterflies and relished the moment. Getting back to even just the showboating part of it all, he felt like it was putting on a well worn-in jacket on a brisk afternoon.

Lomari

February 21, 2020, 10:42:08 AM #31 Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:57:52 AM by Lomari

"Appreciated friend. I just landed station side not too long ago, pretty nice place so far," Chris answered and Reggie grinned to himself. Someone calling Iscariot 'nice' was somewhat funny to him, but he was sure this newcomer would find that out on his own without any help from the resident barkeep.

"Dunno. Was supposed ta race fer Lil Sebastian but he never got in touch with me about it," Devon told him, and Reggie was glad his processing could focus on more than one person at a time and that they were very close to one another. He stood between them, either to make it easier for him to respond or as a subtle way to bring them into each other's orbs of influence. "Sebastian can be an enigmatic man. Why don't you go with these fancy fools down to the docks? I bet Seb's already got things handled. And even if he doesn't, Dewey is always ready to take on a new racer. He loves an up-and-comer," the bartender told his customer, all while rhythmically polishing a glass.

Leon stammered over surprise as his Martin Miller, arch enemy made the moves on his ladies! The audacity! The impropriety! The cleverness! Of course, the groupies twittered excitedly at the wink sent their way and Leon looked down at them as though deeply hurt by their waning interest. The audience laughed and boo'd respectively in response. Most workers and residents of the station had a favorite racer and these two were the usual winners, although Leon had yet to beat Marty. "I"ve gotta go get prepped though, 'is mum gets real anxious if I don't call and promise to take it easy on her little angel, poor thing."

A hand rose, long index finger pointing toward the ceiling, "How dare you impune my honor so! I'm going to destroy you in this race, boy, you will regret ever mocking the great Leon!" he shouted, to another round of applause and incredulous laughter. As Marty approached and murmured his well wishes, Leon offered him a wink and a smile in response before following the other man out of the bar, moving swiftly as though flicking an imaginary cape in a flourished anger. Many of the workers took that time to settle their tabs and begin heading out as well, the buzz in the room and now out in the station walkways filled with who they thought would win out of the stations favorite sons.

*Racers and Racing Spectators Exit to Episode 4: Hub/Docks*

"I'm Alice. Give me just a moment and I'll be around with your drinks and to take your order, as well as help with any questions you have." Alice answered before ducking around him and moving to take care of her duties. The Tall Man didn't move, he remained where he was, arms crossing over his broad chest and his eyes following the waitress. Telling him her name didn't really tell him if she was the owner, if he was being really picky, but he did have enough information before entering to know that Alice was the owner's name. The waitress put some waters on the table the Young Man occupied, as there wasn't really much else she could have given them due to their not having ordered anything. They didn't want water. Finally, the Tall Man glanced down at Angela and Moira before turning and making his way to where Alice stood looking down at the Young Man, who stared up at her with an eager smile and bright pink cheeks, apparently love struck.

"You are the owner," the Tall Man reiterated, this time not a question. He did not slide into the booth, deciding instead to remain standing, towering over the woman. "Iscariot is a dangerous station," he continued, "Do you have plans for keeping your shop safe? Have you thought on Insurance? You can never predict when disaster will befall your establishment," he asked, a strange inflection to his voice when he said 'Insurance', although he said the whole spiel with the practiced cadence of a bored Insurance Salesman. The Young Man picked up the water cup and continued to beam up at Alice, although he did not take a drink.
CHARACTERS

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot

Angela Evans

Location Alice's Restaurant

"I'm alright, thank you very much," the other woman answered, and Angela couldn't help but not quite believe her. Her expression did not seem to be genuine and there was no hint of a thankful smile at the corners of her lips. Their eyes lowered once again to Moira's hands, then rose to meet her gaze. "I'll be back with your coffee in 2 shakes.  It's hopping tonight," their waitress informed them, and the stranger nodded their chin down once, the movement curt.

"Did Sebastian send you?" their seating companion asked. What a question. They knew of Sebastian, but found the work required for such a bottom feeder far beneath them. It would have been like assisting an ant in moving a pebble while a castle was built next to the mound. A waste of energy, effort, and time. Their gaze followed Moira's toward the Tall man and Young man, the Taller having left soon after Alice had deposited the coffee onto their table. It seemed remarkably clear from what they could overhear that these two were up to something, but as of yet there was no reason to interfere.

"No, Sebastian did not send me," they answered in a matter-of-fact tone, not all that offended by it personally. "I do not know how he would send me anywhere, as I do not work for the small gentleman," they continued, turning to stare blankly at Moira once more. "I would wager he sent those individuals, and you do not seem pleased by their presence. Do Sebastian and his men worry you? Is that why you seem frustrated?" they continued to prod, unaware of how impolite it might've been to keep digging into someone else's issues when they didn't want you to.

Alese “Alice” Westergaard

If Alice was meant to be intimidated by the towering hirsute man it didn't seem to be working.  Little Sebastian must not have done his research.  The widow's late husband had been at least 4 inches taller and a good 2 stone heavier than the man who stood before her now.  Her smile didn't waver and she actually reached into her pocket, bringing out a cellophane wrapped cookie and placing it on the table before the young man as she listened to the behemoth speak of insurance.  When he finished she shook her head slightly.  "I pay my rent for this location, I pay the standard insurance required by the station for operating an eating establishment, I pay the exorbitant fees to get fresh produce and meats to make good food for my hard working patrons. Many of the workers here come to eat every day because my prices are reasonable for something more than soy and protein paste.  Many of those passing through too. I don't worry about additional insurance.  Someone cuts off my supply lines, or damages my equipment..." She shrugged, looking nonplussed. "there are always places looking for a good cook, always ships in need and always places planet-side." She placed one hand on an ample hip and gestured towards the table. "So, if you'd like to have a seat and order a meal I'd be happy to serve. If there is an investor on the station who'd like to become a silent partner we can set up a meeting. Otherwise, I have customers to attend to."  She waited patiently for a response, same genial smile on her face as when she'd greeted them to start with, her tone pleasant and patient.

Devon McKinney

That wasn't the kind of song she'd figured the quiet man for, but she liked it, had the combat boot on her left foot, the one with the floppy laces tapping a little.  When Jed made his way back to the bar Devon gave him a little bit of a lopsided smile and an up nod of her head.  His song got her thinking about racing.  She was going to race but then it seemed Sebastian had forgotten about her.

And that was the reason she liked Mr. Right Now so well.  The bartender always seemed to cut right to the heart of things.  No reason she couldn't go to the docks and try to find a ship to race.  She wasn't as flashy as Leon or the man-child, but she was a hell of a pilot. If Sebastian didn't want her for the races someone else might. She'd heard Dewey's last flyboy had taken off so why not her, not like she and Sebastian had signed a contract, or even shook hands on it.

"I think I will, I think I will head down ta race.", her voice harsh and raspy sounding. She said it more to herself than anyone, but she lifted her glass and clinked it into the one of the man standing next to her (Chris), before throwing the whiskey back and polishing off the shot, wincing a little at the burn over her damaged vocal cords. Chris may or may not notice her hands look beat up and scarred, like a proper mechanics, though there is no grease under the short and neatly trimmed nails.

She motioned to Reggie for one more.  She had a few more minutes before she'd have to head down to the docks and she wanted to be properly lubricated to race.

Arlo Fisher

February 22, 2020, 06:11:49 AM #35 Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 06:13:33 AM by Arlo Fisher

Arlo had consumed a few bites of his meal enjoying the recipe before his observations lead him back to the tall newcomer. He had hoped that this fellow would turn out to be just another patron but hope sometimes does little out in the Black. Taking his cup of coffee in hand he  slid himself from the counter moving with a skillful purpose towards the man and Alice. "Madame Alice the food here is exquisite very nicely done. I just couldn't wait to tell you, well and maybe get some more of this delicious coffee too." Arlo took the pot gently from her hand and topped off his mug with fresh piping hot java.
"Forgive me,where are my manners,would you like a cup Sir? Didn't mean to interrupt your conversation. Something about Insurance if I heard correctly. Goodness my manners again.
Arlo positioned himself directly between Alice and Mr. Tall, his mug prepared to be used defensively if need be. "I used to work as an Insurance Adjuster and wouldn't mind taking a look at your contract. Sometimes those who haven't had the proper experience, like this fellow here I'd guess,rush through things and miss quote what's needed. No offense Sir, just looks as if you may have spoken to hasty. If you'd like to discuss this further Sir, I have the time to share some techniques that have worked rather well for me in the past.

Jedikiah Rembo

Karaoke Bar

Jedikiah finished his modest libation, paid up, used the facilities and headed for the docks. It has been some time since he had seen any sort of racing and local space facilities all seemed to have their own versions.

...exit

Moira Chambers

"No, Sebastian did not send me. I do not know how he would send me anywhere, as I do not work for the small gentleman."

Then what was their deal? They weren't a fed, that was for sure; a fed would already be waving their badge in her face, and an undercover fed would certainly be better at blending in and getting their target's guard down. Moira was growing increasingly uncomfortable with the conversation, and her motivation to pretend otherwise was wearing thin.

She found her gaze once again drawn towards the table where Sebastian's men sat. They were talking to Alice now; something about insurance, which was gangster speak for extortion. Alice didn't seem too fazed, though, and she was soon joined by the gentleman at the counter who seemed to have a handle on the situation.

"I would wager he sent those individuals, and you do not seem pleased by their presence. Do Sebastian and his men worry you? Is that why you seem frustrated?"

"Hm?" The words pulled Moira from her thoughts, and she turned back to her interrogator whose face was blank as ever. Why was she sticking around for this, anyway? She owed nothing to this person, and she had a liver to abuse and hideously off-key singing to endure.

"You know what, I need to get going. Enjoy your coffee." With those words and not so much as a smile, Moira got up from her seat, ready to head out.
Dialogue color: mediumpurple
Owner of Prime Cuts

Lomari

"I think I will, I think I will head down ta race," Devon decided. Reggie smiled and set down another glass, this time with water inside. Next to it, a bowl of wafer chips to soak up the whiskey now coursing through her stomach and headed into her blood. Didn't want to be responsible for another drunk flyer. "Might not hurt to hydrate properly," he told her with a kind voice and warm smile. He really did love his job and care for his patrons the way they needed, if not the way they wanted.

A wave came through to Chris' datapad, notice that they'd be by Iscariot in eleven days to pick him up and an apology for the length of time he'd need to keep himself occupied. Space was vast and sometimes it took a long time to get anywhere.

The bar thinned out, as it usually did before a race. They'd be back once it was all over, but for now, the Hub was where to be if you wanted to watch the goings on and now the bar was the perfect place for solitude and contemplation.

"So, if you'd like to have a seat and order a meal, I'd be happy to serve ... Otherwise, I have customers to attend to,"
Alice managed, rather admirably, one had to admit. She didn't seem intimidated by the lot and that did raise the Tall Man's brow and brighten the smile on the Young face. The grin broadened all the more when he was given a wrapped cookie and he set the glass down, got comfortable in the booth, and set to unwrapping it.   

"I used to work as an Insurance Adjuster and wouldn't mind taking a look at your contract ... I have the time to share some techniques that have worked rather well for me in the past," the nosy Nelly butted in and a small smile began to pull at one corner of the Tall Man's cracked lips. "Yea? You wanna look at our contract?" he asked, his voice scratching and grating on his own throat, but possessing a dangerous amusement now. The Young Man snorted around his cookie and pulled his feet up off the ground onto the booth seat.

"You wanna share some techniques?" the Man continued, laughing silently, his shoulders rising and falling. Reaching out, he grabbed the water glasses Alice had dropped off on their table and pivoted on one heel, chucking the dishware across the room. He looked back at Arlo and grinned down at him before nodding his chin toward Alice, "Good thing you had an Insurance Adjuster here to help, huh?" he asked, not bothering to hide the sarcasm as he put his hands on the edge of the table, leaning against it and smiling in their direction all the more. The Young Man stood up on the booth, hopped up and down a couple of times, then reached out to begin shredding cute little shrubs and ivy out of their proper places before punching and pulling at the dangling teacup lamps until they were ripped free. He pointed with the cookie toward some decorative croquet mallets and the Tall Man straightened, nodding in understanding.

"Oh and look here, Sammy, a real book? Gosh I bet that's expensive, don't you think having some good insurance would be just real wise to have? With such a treasure around?" he asked the Young Man. Or rather, he asked Sammy. Clearly, they didn't care about the rent paid, the insurance paid to the station, the fees for good food. They didn't care about hard workers or protein paste or if she had job offers elsewhere. They cared that their boss got his cut of this business, just to make sure it was kept safe from other undesirables, of course.
CHARACTERS

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot

Devon McKinney

February 25, 2020, 06:25:47 PM #39 Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:10:06 PM by Devon McKinney
Reggie set the glass of water and the wafers on the bar for her and Devon just gave him that disappointed look before sliding off the bar stool.  At this exact moment he was no longer her Mr. Just Right, he'd overstepped as far as she was concerned.  She headed out of the bar and towards the Hub.  She stumped towards the Hub with the laces of the left combat boot flopping loosely.  The trench coat she almost always wore flapping along behind.  Her fists were stuffed in the pockets, one hand wrapped about the bottle of pills.  The voices in her head were strangely quiet as she thought about flying again.  It had been awhile.  Flying was the one place she felt totally sane after her time on the Reliant.  She gave a brief moment of thought to the soft spoken Companion, wondering if She ever came to watch the races.  So many of the people on the station turned out to watch it was possible She might.  Somehow, thinking that She could be there, changed in Devon's mind to She would be there.  And now knowing She would be there Devon became determined to win in hopes of some way, some how gaining Her favor.  Dr. Graham would likely tell Devon that thinking such thoughts were delusional and unfounded but Dr. Graham was a long way away and Devon could still remember the smell of Elena's perfume so thoughts of winning for Her pushed to the forefront of her brain as she made her way to the Hub with a single-minded purpose.