Episode 4: Sectors/Shops

Started by Lomari, February 10, 2020, 09:47:43 AM

Lomari

Station Time: 7PM – 1900 Hours.

Max, having been in a foul mood following his visit with Devon and her ultimate 'escape' at the suggestion of the sweet Elena, had been roused from his anger by a wave from an old associate. An Eath-That-Was artifact had resurfaced on the black market and was up for grabs but wouldn't be there long. With a gathering of his immediate belongings, a brisk avoidance of the woman, Alice to be exact, in his store save for asking her to leave so he could lock up, and a soft goodbye to Elena, Maxell left the station in pursuit of treasure.

Despite his drunken excitement and exuberant hand waving, Moira managed to get through her hair appointment with Amorru with little to no accidental ear cutting or over bleaching. Of course, the brunette left the shop with hair white as snow and an attitude made all the worse by sips from his flask when he thought she wasn't looking. After the stylist sent him on his merry way, he made quick work of entering the races with an endorsement from a Mister Decimal, touting his skills as a pilot, nay, as the Best Pilot in the Gorram 'Verse. Of course, mid race, his shuttle mysteriously shot off into space in the direction of the nearest planet at the sight of a Persephone branded cargo vessel docking at the station.

Down at Jed's Dojo, Angela set an appointment to rent out the dojo at a later date and went on their way to find their lodging on the station and get settled in.

With no sun to orbit, Iscariot functioned on a typical rotation of 24 hours, although their 'night' life was just as bustling as the 'day' shift, what with ships coming in on their own time or shipments from planets functioning along the night and day of their home planet arriving and needing offloading. As it was, most of the 'day' on the station had passed in relative ease, the nightlife falling into full swing. The lighting in the passageways dimmed just slightly to make the neon of shop signs burn all the brighter, casting their colorful glow down onto the passersby.  Music from the bar and karaoke lounge filtered out into the walkway, bustling at the threshold of nearby shops. Vendors and street cars shouted out the availability of wares and takeaway food and carts and mules hiccupped around the shops with cargo and merchandise ordered by shop owners and station workers.

Jobs flickered on the station's Job Board, including listings from ships that had put said openings on the cortex. A ship whose name had been redacted indicated they needed a Mechanic and had a cortex code that was clearly a throwaway number listed as the contact. Another ship, The Darling, had listings posted for a Pilot and a Mechanic, and specified that they were a working ship full of honest, law-abiding folk.
CHARACTERS
Charity ~ Melody ~ Tabitha

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot

Devon McKinney

Devon's days were much the same. She spent the mornings lingering outside the Lady Magdeline, hoping for a glimpse of Elena. Her afternoons and early evenings were spent walking the space station, and her nights at the karaoke bar, drinking those perfect drinks poured by Mr. Just Right.  Since her run-in with Paul and Ajax she'd mostly managed to stay out of trouble, and despite being told he might want her to race she hadn't heard back from Lil Sebastian or any of his crew.

Money wasn't an issue exactly, she drew a decent pension for her time in service, but she soon realized if she hoped to purchase the time of a lovely Companion she would certainly need more money than she brought in.  That brought her around to looking for work.  The job boards were kind of spotty for pilots, but she was a fair mechanic too. She figured to pass on family friendly and honest, that wouldn't bring in the kind of credits she hoped to acquire and instead reached out to the ship with the redacted name and throw-away number. 

Chris Lee Kayne

Chris had finally made it station side, having hitched a ride on a merchant vessel from his home world of Haven. Thankfully Chris was able to barter his skills as a mechanic in favor of payment for passage on the merchant vessel.  He was now dropped off and left to his own devices and a small nest egg of saved credits.  He knew from being a merchant of sorts that this little cache he'd saved up would only float him for a week at most. 

With this he had made his way from the docks and now was staring down the Job Board.  Reading over both entries for the request of a mechanic his head rocked back and forth in thought before taking down both contact codes. He chose to reach out to 'The Darling' first as the idea of working on a law abiding ship seemed more his style. The audible, but still quiet sound of metal parts shifting could be heard within just a foot or two of Christ, which seemed to be coming from his right side.  Beyond that he seemed occupied responding to the call of work.

Arlo Fisher

Arlo had made it through Station Security without any incidents,at least non visible to him. He relinquished his firearm without any fuss,taking  a coding key after placing it within the appropriate lock box. He keep his words brief,making a quick request as where to find the best food on the station. Those within earshot almost answered in unison "Alice's"

The maps of the information terminals weren't too hard to navigate and he soon found himself standing under a sign reading Alice's Cafe'. Removing his beanie and glasses he entered through the doorway into a wonderland of smells and visual displays. He waited to be acknowledged by the staff before selecting a seat at the counter. A soft smile upon his face as he gazed upon the restaurant's layout.

Alese “Alice” Westergaard

The proprietress of Alice's Restaurant could be found amid the hustle and bustle of the restaurant.  Her normally wild mane of hair had been pulled back in a neat chignon, held by a silver comb.  She was dressed in white leggings with black knee-high boots and a dress of powder blue with a crenelated skirt with the hem chased with cut outs of rabbits and pocket watches circling round.  A tidy apron nipped in at her narrow waist. The neckline was just barely modest enough to keep the place family friendly.  Her name tag boldly proclaimed her to be "Alice".  Her make-up was minimal aside from the black eyeliner in a bold cat's eye accenting her bright green eyes.  She alternated between seating customers, taking orders and delivering food.  Every now and then she would dip back through the doors that lead to the kitchen before emerging with a food laden tray.  She greeted most of the regulars by name and with a warm smile.

Arlo wasn't a regular.  He was someone new.  She gave him a friendly smile and gestured him to the counter, bringing him a menu a few moments later. "Hi, I'm Alice.  What can I get you to drink tonight?"

Arlo Fisher

Arlo was greeted promptly by a well costumed staffer who's name tag read Alice. He quickly deducted that she must be the one and only Alice,owner and operator of this wonderfully thought up establishment. He was momentarily caught off guard by her introduction and inquiry to his drink preference, as he was still taking in all the decor. He might also have been mentally figuring out his escape route,a by product of his training.

Arlo responded to the young ladies inquiry, his voice carrying a hint of a French accent. "My apologies, a cup of coffee would be nice. You wouldn't happen to be the same Alice as depicted on the sign would you? Might I say this is such a fantastic idea. My Papa had a place I used to help with in my youth. Nothing as thought out as this. No Papa did traditional French by the book,that sort of thing. Forgive me I'm rambling and you have a busy restaurant."

Jedikiah Rembo

Jedikiah Rembo had finished an exhausting workout of several of the most rigorous flying, leaping and striking collection of various forms. He had let himself go free form in a sort of Capoeira style. It served little purpose in any style, but at some point he had gone beyond that. The fluidity and empty mind, and yet the joy and relaxation mixed and swirled together like a yin yang symbol curling around a drain to calm and peace deep and far below the surface.

After a shower and fresh clothes, old plain dark blue jeans, sneakers and a white sweater he entered the singing bar. He ordered a simple tasty scotch with water on the side, took a sip of the scotch. He signed up to sing and waited his turn.
Yang Style Tai Chi and Shaolin Kung Fu
 - And Medical Practitioner

"I am indeed.  Glad you like the place.  Always was enchanted by Through the Looking Glass as a child so when I decided to open my own place it seemed the right theme." She smiled again and then moved to get him a cup of coffee. "It's nothing so fancy as traditional French cuisine, but I like to think it's good comfort food. Take you're time to look over the menu and I'll be back to get your order in a moment." She flashed a wink as she moved away to take drink refills to another table and to ring up a check.  She kept an eye out though and when he seemed ready she headed back to take his order. "You know what you want?"

Arlo Fisher

Arlo looked over the multitude of items listed before him,so many tasty sounding choices. No this was not like Fancy French, it was so much better than that, and he aimed to tell her so.
"I assure you Miss Alice this establishment could easily compete with any that I've seen in my travels. So many fine choices I don't know what to order. What would you recommend? Anything that you're known for that is a must?" Arlo prepared his coffee to his liking as he awaited her much needed assistance with the menu. Offering her a genuine smile of thanks. The Security Officers were right in sending him here,he would definitely need to thank them.

Devon McKinney

Devon sat at the bar, sipping at her whiskey and watching the parade of singers who came and went upon the stage.  She always enjoyed listening, even to those who couldn't sing, but never signed up herself.  The damage done to her vocal cords didn't really allow for singing and made her voice a throaty rasp on the best of days.

She hadn't seen Jedikiah in there before, but there were always a lot of people in and out.  She wasn't the type to be overly friendly, but if he happened to catch her looking she'd offer her standard lopsided smile. Mostly she sat and drank, talking to Mr. Just Right only on occasion, tongue darting out to wet her lips at times.

"Depends on if you are in the mood for breakfast food or a more traditional dinner.  Breakfast food, I'd say the crabcake benedict or the poundcake french toast.  The hot honey turkey sandwich is really good. The special today was chicken pot pie, I can see if there is any left if that sounds good." 

She didn't sound like she was bragging, but truly offering suggestions.  "I have one of the younger crew from the medbay who swears I make the best pies, but I prefer the chocolate cake myself.  Though if I eat much more of it I won't be able to fit in my uniform." She laughed at her own joke and waited on him to decide.

Arlo Fisher

"Thank you kindly, Madame Alice so many tasty sounding selections. I do think I'd like to try the Chicken Pot Pie if you have any left. However if I've missed that choice altogether then the Crab Cake Benedict sounds absolutely delicious. Pardon my asking,but is it always this busy? I should say so just from my little time here. Why I'd probably dine here for each meal myself."
Arlo took another sip of his coffee enjoying the moment relaxing more than he has in the past six months.

Moira Chambers

Moira's first day running a salon was over, and what a day it had been. Her first customer had been a rude, hungover young man who, as it later turned out, hadn't even booked an appointment but had simply stolen someone else's. At the end of the day there was no harm done, since the imposter had paid for the service and the real customer had showed up late, saving her from the embarrassment of getting caught in the act of getting swindled. Yet, as Moira made her way towards sector 3A of the station, she found her thoughts drifting back to that encounter. It gnawed at her, the unnerving symmetry of her first customer being a sad drunk assuming an identity that wasn't his. It almost felt like an ill omen of some kind. Moira shook the thought off. There were no omens in life, just coincidences that were consecrated by superstition.

The lights of the karaoke bar beckoned to Moira, but she turned her head away and walked past them. She had somewhere else to be. Besides, she hated karaoke: even now, she could faintly hear some heavily intoxicated woman butchering a ballad she was quite fond of. That made resisting the siren call of the bar easier. For now. She would most likely find herself there by the end of the night, whether she really wanted to or not. But first, she had a first impression to amend.

Alice's Restaurant was gaudy, but in that kind of charming way where you could tell there was genuine passion behind the aesthetic. It was also busier than Moira had expected. She had hoped to just have a quick word with Alice and then be on her way, but the owner was engaged in conversation with another customer at the counter. Moira stood dumb for a moment before begrudgingly sliding into an empty booth on the white rose side of the restaurant.

She let her gaze wander across the room, scanning the illustrations lining the walls. She'd never been a fan of Alice in Wonderland as a child. While her older sister Adora had been enamored with Wonderland, Moira had found it deeply off-putting. It had struck her as a hostile place, the absurdity and unpredictability disturbing rather than whimsical and fun. She preferred the real world, where things made sense.

Most of the time.

Moira's gaze fell. She stared down at her hands, pale and bony, with long, nimble fingers. A surgeon's hands, that's what they'd once been, now only good for holding scissors and running a comb through hair. Not if Sebastian holds his end of the deal, she reminded herself.
Dialogue color: mediumpurple
Owner of Prime Cuts

Lomari

February 13, 2020, 11:16:54 AM #13 Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:32:39 AM by Lomari
Location: the Karaoke Bar (and adjacent Job Board) - Devon/Chris/Jed

Inside the Karaoke Bar, the music thrummed through the metal floor like the station's heartbeat, the neon lights casting their colorful glow on the many tables and the patrons filtering in for an evening drink. There were a few open seats left at the bar, that section clearly being the more popular of the drinking spots in the establishment. The line for the Karaoke machine was short, with the more usual singers typically coming in deeper in the evening. Unlike the feel of the bar during the day, it felt alive at night, as though it had woken from its slumber and was its own sentient being. Conversation and laughter began to fill the empty spaces and the smell of 'food' hung overhead like a thick fog of artificial meats and veggies.

Reggie set a glass of Devon's preferred drink down in front of her, a pleasant smile on his face as he returned to polishing the glasses. He glanced down at the data pad before setting the shiny glass down and picking up the next, "Anything interesting out there?" he asked. With her job inquiry sent, all she'd need to do now was wait for a response from the ship's Captain, or at least that's what the "Message Sent" confirmation told her. It was all very vague, and perhaps purposely so.

A gaggle of dock workers finally done with their shift filtered into the bar, either looking dead inside and out and in desperate need of a drink, or laughing uproariously with their coworkers. As they bustled in, they managed to push and/or pull the unsuspecting Chris in along with them while he was busy sending out his own job inquiry. His response was a much more cordial and friendly sort of, "Thank you for your inquiry! We will respond as soon as we have a moment!" It was clearly pre-written, but it was polite all the same.

As Jed stepped up to the bar, Reggie left Devon's portion of the counter just long enough to set an empty glass down and fill it with the ordered Scotch. He slid it the few inches toward the man's hand and put a paper with his current tab amount behind the bar. There was only one person currently singing at the machine, although they had a horde of interesting women gathered around 'ooh'ing and 'aww'ing over their mediocre performance. Leon the Lion, the Station's Second Best Racer, serenaded his loyal fangirls with such gusto that it could almost be forgiven that he very rarely hit a note in its proper key, his awful falsetto sounding very much like a highly intoxicated woman to anyone passing by.

The graveyard shift on a space station was an extremely lucrative demographic, and Alice was smart to keep her diner open for the later crowds. Patrons liked to step in for a good hearty breakfast before heading off to work the night away, and tonight was no different. Station workers, typically those who tended to the inner workings of the station such as the oxygen ventilation and ship engines, came in in groups to sit and gather their wits with a cup of coffee before their shift. Organic food was hard to get on a station like this without the backing or funding of the Alliance, but Alice seemed to work wonders with the artificial meats she was provided with, and with the occasional real deal meats and veggies she ordered for special occasions. Of course, the real deal was heaps more expensive than artificial, but some folk were willing to spend more during a holiday for a real meal.

A pair of curious looking individuals entered the establishment, a young boy about seventeen or eighteen with a dirty bandage around his head, maybe used for decor or maybe to cover an old wound, and a man towering over six feet with far too much blonde hair on his body. He was almost more hair than man with his waves tied up in a bun and his beard decorated at the bottom with a leather tie.  They were mildly greasy, slightly grungy, and a little smelly. The Boy hopped from one foot to the other, looking confused but amazed at the interior of the shop. The Tall Man set a bony hand on his friend's head to still his movements and made eye contact with Moira, smiling his yellowing toothy grin. For her, she might recognize them as some of 'Lil Sebastian's spotters, and occasionally his enforcers. The smaller one tried to wiggle free to get to the counter where Arlo was ordering. He was hungry, and didn't understand exactly how sit-down restaurants worked.
CHARACTERS
Charity ~ Melody ~ Tabitha

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot

Angela Evans

February 13, 2020, 03:14:05 PM #14 Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:39:43 PM by Angela Evans

Almost begrudgingly, the stranger found themselves at the door to Alice's themed diner staring up at it with a slight pursing of their pale lips. As they had been before, they wore their pressed suit and tidy leather shoes, their duffel bag left behind wherever they had ended up finding lodging. They had passed the Karaoke lounge on the way here and had been absolutely dissuaded from entering by the loud banshee keening from inside. They had also peeked into the front windows of the Dojo but did not see its proprietor inside, so they ended up at the only other place they knew. As they'd only arrived on station recently, they hadn't had any time to stock up their new home with anything useful... like food. And so, here they were.

They pushed the door open and entered, pausing to take in the Tall Man and The Boy blocking the foyer to the establishment, their left brow quirking up one millimeter in question. A pale hand lifted from their pocket to smooth out their asymmetrical blonde bob as blue-grey eyes scanned past the roadblocks to take in the rest of the patrons. The newcomer eyed Alice and the man she spoke to. Tall, slender, reaching middle-age. His clothing was practical, his stance one of current ease but carrying the remnants of something more disciplined. Their head tilted to the side a little, tucking the observations away in the folders of their mind.

Another customer caught their eye momentarily, a woman looking down at her hands with a forlorn, defeated slump to her shoulders. Their own eyes lowered to the hands in question, observing the length of the fingers and the way their owner held them. Piano, art, medicine, those were the categories that they would have placed those hands into. She seemed lost, and they wondered if that bothered them. Should they care that another person looked as despondent as this one did? Their chin turned to the side and for a moment, they stared out of the diner, thinking it over. Perhaps. With a noise of decision, their hand slid back into their pockets and they slipped around Tall and Young to stand at Moira's booth, looking down at her blankly as though that was supposed to be some kind of attempt at empathy or a friendly greeting.

February 13, 2020, 08:20:31 PM #15 Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:22:57 PM by Alese “Alice” Westergaard

She nodded at Arlo with another easy smile.  Seemed genial was her natural temperament. "It does stay pretty busy, but I don't mind that's for sure.  Give me just a moment to seat a few people and I'll have your food out."

She paused at the boy and the towering hairy man and escorted them to a table, handing them menus and taking drink orders if they knew what they wanted to drink, with her usual friendly banter.

Her smile widened as she spied Moira and Angela, winding her way though tables to greet them both. "Hello again, nice to see you." Her tone was warm and she seemed to mean it.  "I hope the rest of your customers were nicer than your first one.  I'm glad you came in for dinner." Her attention turned to Angela and the friendly smile remained.  "Good to see you back as well.  Hope you had a productive day.   What can I get the two of you to drink?"

Devon McKinney

Devon gave Reggie a smile.  He was one of the few people on the station she liked, maybe because he wasn't truly people.  She lifted her glass in mock salute and took a mouthful, enjoying the whiskey burn. "Here's to finding a job and maybe some real money."  Not that money mattered to her exactly, she could retire and be comfortable on what she made but she had expensive tastes. Well, expensive taste.  A Companion's time didn't come cheap and she'd have to have the money up front before she even dared to ask.

She paid little enough attention to the dock workers coming in or going out.  She recognized a lot of the regulars and a few of the irregulars, but after the fight with Ajax word had gotten around she was a mean drunk, which wasn't strictly true- she'd been perfectly cordial to Paul after all, but it discouraged most of them from messing with her. Still, she kept a weather eye out, tongue darting over her lips occasionally.

Chris Lee Kayne

From one second to another Christ had seemed to have lost himself, and footing, with the tidal wave of people pushing him along.  A few stumbles, a slightly panicked yelp, and him catching himself later Christ found himself dumped against the bar ever so slightly shaken.  Christ finding himself leaning up the bar looking up at Reggie, whom he did not know the name of, but figured him to be the bartender. 

So from his slightly foolish entrance due to the dock workers more or less shoving him along, he'd take a second to pause, brushing himself off and catching his breath.  Taking a seat he'd glance back and forth, giving a polite nod and a smile with anyone who caught his eye before raising a gloved right hand.  "Ahh Tender, a tall glass of...um, whatever passes as your local brew. This was given a thoughtful pause before he nodded and fingered the credit stick with his left hand in his pocket. He hoped the drink and possibly light meal wouldn't run too high of a tab.

Arlo Fisher

The restaurant was busy and rightly so. The intriguing theme alone was probably responsible for bringing in most and the tasty cuisine was sure to bring them back. Arlo enjoyed the sites and smells of being around a working restaurant again,bringing back beloved memories of his youth.
"Madame Alice would you like some help refilling guest drinks and such? I spent many hours helping my Papa in his restaurant,it would be an honor and a delight to help you. Not to say that you need any help,but if you should then please allow me." With those words,Arlo gave a little bow of respect to Alice,followed by a warm smile.

Even in his attentive manner towards her, he kept his senses on the two new male patrons who had entered. Hopefully they were just here for a meal and nothing more. The taller one's body language would be the first tell of trouble as the youngster's interest were clearly on obtaining a meal.

Moira Chambers

Moira cursed herself for looking up long enough to notice and be noticed by the two goons. She hoped they weren't here for her; she didn't really feel like dealing with any of Sebastian's business on top of the excruciating day she'd had. Instead of returning the Tall Man's smile, she quickly looked down again and pretended to be completely distracted by her tragic hands. It was no use; she could soon sense the man approach her and stop next to her booth, looming over her until she finally gave up her act and turned her to look up at him.

Only it wasn't the toothy grin of Sebastian's disheveled lackey that greeted her, but the expressionless, bird-like stare of a sharp-dressed stranger she'd never met before -- at least she didn't think she had, and she figured she'd remember someone with such striking bone structure. Before Moira could inquire what they wanted from her, Alice joined them, her demeanor just as relentlessly chipper as it had been that morning. Jesus, where did this woman get her energy? Moira could use some of the stuff herself.

"...What can I get the two of you to drink?"

A kind of panic rose in Moira's throat, not so much at the assumption that she was here to have dinner, but at the assumption that the intruder was joining her. Having to chat and bond with customers had all but drained her social battery for the day.

"Oh, I'm afraid I can't stay for long-- I just wanted to apologize. About this morning. I was rude. Orville loved the pastries. He's got such an appetite, I hardly got a bite myself-" Moira stopped herself mid-sentence. She'd tried her best to focus on Alice and ignore the stranger hovering next to her table, but she felt their gaze bore into her with an intensity that was difficult to ignore.

"Can I help you?" She was able to stop herself from visibly frowning, but unable to force a smile.
Dialogue color: mediumpurple
Owner of Prime Cuts