Episode 3: Hub

Started by RUNE, December 02, 2019, 10:46:24 PM

RUNE

December 02, 2019, 10:46:24 PM Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:17:45 PM by RUNE

Charity awoke to find King snoozing soundly in an adjacent recovery bed as Gwen appeared to check her vitals. Ahksar's wounds were healing well as could be expected without much more effort than a change in bandages, but he continued to sleep at his charge's side the past few days as "Cherry" recovered from more complicated injuries. Normally Gwen's volunteer duties were planned by the senior medical staff in the med ward, but she had a special interest in this pair - Mr. King in particular.

I know that I hung on a windy tree nine long nights, wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin, myself to myself, on that tree of which no man knows from where its roots run.
No bread did they give me nor a drink from a horn, downwards I peered; I took up the runes, screaming I took them, then I fell back from there.
The songs I know that king's wives know not Nor men that are sons of men.
So do I write and color the runes.

Gwen Eiber

It was early, much earlier than she would normally be in the medbay.  But she had 3 patients to attend to despite her late night catching up with Uncle Jed.  It didn't matter that she could have left such things to the techs. She really was a rather serious young woman and she didn't take her duties lightly. The young doctor was quiet, efficient and looked very put together this morning.  Her braid plaited tightly and hanging straight down her back, her scrubs neatly pressed and the shade of blue quite compliemntary to her eyes.  Her freckle dusted cheeks still free of any make up. If she had had a long or restless night it didn't show.

The pilot with the concussion was doing well, resting comfortably and other than a rather spotty recollection of what had happened and a bit of a lingering headache would be fine by later in the day.  She wouldn't release him to fly just yet though, so arrangements would have to be made aboard the next transport going that way for him to head home.

Charity would find the young doctor bustling about in a quiet and efficient manner.  She might notice her dress had been hung on the back of the door.  Cleaned and repaired with some alterations made to the sleeves.  Gwen used the IV line to take a vial of blood before administering a mild pain reliever, then hanging another bag of fluids and some antibiotics.  Charity would receive a friendly smile and a running commentary as to what Gwen was doing as she worked in that soothing southern voice. "Are you hungry Miss Cherry?  I can fetch you something for breakfast if you'd like."

She was careful and quiet as she checked Mr. King's dressing, not really wanting to wake him.  His bandage would need changed, but it would wait until he had rested.  When he woke he would notice a couple of clean shirts on the table next to his bed, a dark colored t-shirt and a long sleeve button up.  Nothing fancy, but clean and his size.

Pretty is as pretty does.

Emit Culpepper

December 03, 2019, 06:36:30 AM #2 Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:45:46 AM by Emit Culpepper

Just outside the entrance way, Red Cross upon the glass doorway beckoning.  Emit struggles to his feet,his breathing very labored coming in quick succession. He'd left the medical care on Newhall much sooner than the staff had suggested or liked,promising them that he would stop into the medical facilities first thing upon reaching Iscariot. Not realizing how true that promise would be.

They had allowed him to leave with a walking chest tube and instructions on it's proper use and care. Provided a data stick of his medical records to be given to the next medical provider. However something surely was wrong. The air to his lungs was stymied,his head swimming, his vision blurring. Coughing forcefully as a droplet of blood rolled from his lips hitting the tile below.

Left foot step,Right foot step. Emit crossed over the threshold of the Iscariot medical facility. "I do beg your pardon -cough- I believe I'm in need of some assistance -cough-cough-"

Buttongirl

The staff on duty in the medbay was well-trained.  When Emit entered asking for assistance they moved into action with surprising alacrity.  He was promptly taken to an exam room to be evaluated by the nurse on duty.  A set of vitals were taken and the medical records he had brought with him uploaded into the system for review.  The pulse ox was reading his oxygen level as low and there was a wheezing sound with every breath he took.  The nurse gave Emit a reassuring smile, though her eyes looked worried.  She placed him on oxygen through a nasal canula, which might make him feel a little more comfortable but likely wouldn't help much with bringing his saturation up.  She explained she was going to let the doctor know he was waiting and it'd likely be just a moment or two.

When the nurse left his room all pretense of calm dropped.  She snapped at the med tech to prepare the operating suite for surgery and hurried to grab Gwen.  A sharp rap on the door of the room Charity and King were sharing and the nurse came to speak to her in hushed tones, though in the quiet of the room the two patients could easily overhear. "Records say he was injured in the bombing on Newhall, was almost at ground zero.  Rescued a mother and child but it almost killed him. Big damn hero. Has some bad burns that have been treated and some minor injuries from shrapnel that are probably about healed. He has a walking chest tube in place but he is de-sating fast and coughing up blood; I have the OR being prepped now. The doc on Newhall didn't want him to leave so soon but he insisted. His name is Culpepper, first name Emit.  I can finish tending to these two Doc, or I'm afraid he might need a preacher."
CHARACTERS
Gwen ~ Devon McKinney ~ Mylena

Charity

A heavy sigh lifted and lowered Charity (or Cherry, as she was known presently)'s shoulders as she laid on her side with her back to whomever was speaking. She ignored the dutiful buzzing of the busy doctoral bee, ignored the friendly smile, instead choosing to reach across her body awkwardly to pull the blanked higher up onto her shoulder as though to hide her bandaged arm.

"Are you hungry Miss Cherry?  I can fetch you something for breakfast if you'd like."

"Miss what?" she muttered in response, her voice barely a whisper as she furrowed her perfect brows before straining to turn her head so that she could eye the unknown doctor dubiously. Her dark gaze followed the woman as she made her way around to tend to the sleeping King, although Charity didn't imagine he'd be sleeping for long. He didn't seem the type to let himself nap through such a vulnerable situation. She was safe. She was on Iscariot. She'd been shot at the dreadfully tacky wedding by the cradle robber's son. Another exhale slipped past her lips and she allowed her shoulders to relax. Charity pushed herself cautiously into a sitting position. She struggled with her inner desire to be polite, to lavish this strange savior with praise for whatever work she did on her arm, to stand up and leave in a flourish of rustling fabric and glimmering jewels.

"Where is Amorru?" she asked, then remembered that the woman likely had no idea who she was talking about. "Cocky, headstrong, a sense of style that I'm sure," she looked around slowly, "will be unappreciated here..." she inhaled to bring herself back to attention and leveled all of her focus on Gwen, "...a big personality," she finished, raising her brows expectantly, awaiting her answer.

Now that she'd managed to sit up, the debutante clasped her hands demurely but confidently atop her blanketed lap, her hair strangely neat in its messy bedhead waves, framing her ivory face in deep coils of chocolate. Idly, she glanced down at her ringless hands and wiggled her fingers in a brief gesture, something she typically did to turn the rings around on her fingers but finding it a useless motion when unadorned. But, she was thankful that both sets of fingers moved as she commanded.
Dialogue Color: AntiqueWhite

Gwen Eiber

December 04, 2019, 01:18:04 AM #5 Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:04:42 PM by Gwen Eiber
She stopped fluttering around Mr. King when Charity spoke.  She really hadn't wanted to wake him anyway.
Rest would be the best thing for him and possibly some breakfast later when he woke up."I'm sorry Miss, if I gave offence, your companion, Mr. King, gave your name as Miss Cherry when you were given into my care.  If there is another you wish to be called by I'm happy to oblige."

When asked about Amorru, the young woman looked thoughtful for a moment, giving her braid a little tug before answering. "Mr. Amorru was here when you were brought in, but left you in Mr. King's care.  I saw him late yesterday evening after I finished working on your arm and had patched up Mr.King to give him an update on your well-being."  She paused a heartbeat, maybe two before continuing, "He seemed to be under the impression that you wouldn't like to see him.  I'm not sure of his current whereabouts but if you'd like I'll make an effort to track him down for you."

She couldn't help but smile when the both sets of fingers wiggled, breathing an inward sigh of relief. There was no telling until that moment how successful the repair work started by Grace and finished on Iscariot had been successful up until that point.  It wasn't a guarantee there wouldn't be problems down the road but it was a very good sign.

It was about that time that the nurse entered to get Gwen to see to the new patient. Gwen excused herself, a last glance given to Mr. King before heading in to evaluate Emit.  She introduced herself, emphasizing the fact she was the doctor, not wanting him to worry about someone so young looking after him. She checked his O2 sats again and then grabbed the portable scanner to see what was going on with his lungs.  She spoke softly and explained things calmly and clearly to Emit in the sweet southern drawl, though the lack of oxygen may have made it all a bit fuzzy to him anyway.

"Mr. Culpepper, I'm Dr. Eiber.  Looks like you're having some trouble breathing and I'm going to fix that for you. I need to remove your shirt and I'll get you all patched up."  She was taking his shirt off as she spoke, wincing at the half healed burns and lacerations and bruises in various shades of green, yellow and fading brown.  Her main concern was the chest tube though.  Once his torso was bare she cleaned the area around the chest tube with the antiseptic scrub as gently as she could and allowed it to dry while she washed her hands and gloved up. 

She took a large gauge needle and hub out of the drawer, as well as a stack of sterile gauze and a luer lock syringe. "Your chest tube has shifted Mr. Culpepper, it's not in the right position, it's rubbing against the wall of your lung, causing the bleeding.  If I don't reposition it, your lung is going to fill with blood and you'll basically drown.  I'm going to deflate the bulb holding the tube in place, move it where it needs to be and re-inflate the bulb, then I can get the blood out of your lung."

She was hoping he understood what she was telling him, because it'd be a heck of a lot easier if he didn't fight. "I don't want to sedate you for this, because sedation will depress your lung function. This is going to be uncomfortable and it's going to be harder to breathe for a minute, but I've got you." Cornflower blue eyes met his, reassuringly, hoping for a nod before she went to work.

Emit Culpepper

December 07, 2019, 08:29:08 AM #6 Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:06:22 AM by Emit Culpepper

Emit remained calm and collective, one booted foot touching the ground the other dangling lightly from his seated position upon the exam table. The nurse assured him that everything was going to be okay before briefly departing the room, stating that she was going to retrieve the Physician on duty. Within moments a young intelligent looking lady entered introducing herself as Doctor Eiber. Upon her introductions referring to him as Mr. Culpepper,he politely removed his hat, then proceeded to push forth a few whispers past labored breaths. "Please call me Emit"

Her voice was soft spoken and calming, reminding him of better times. He barely got a hand to the front of his shirt as she began unclasping buttons, explaining that she needed to examine his chest. Blushing like a school boy he attempted to focus on the paint color of the wall or some such. Upon hearing the young Doctor wince ever so slightly at the display before her, Emit once again offered a few whispers and a smile. "Looks worse than it is Miss."

Her touch was gentle as she cleaned around the tube protruding from his chest. Speaking again in her soft calming voice as she explained what procedures needed to be done as she produced the medical tools and equipment from nearby drawers. The young Doctor was gentle and caring enough to explain to him each step as she did it, as not to over excite or draw unnecessary problems. Emit was thankful for her ability and bed side manner. As she explained to him that he would need to remain awake and alert as she introduced the large needle into his chest, he gently placed a hand over hers, giving her a smile and reassuring tilt of his head. "I trust you Miss, it's okay, go ahead and do what you need to, I won't move."

Gwen Eiber

December 08, 2019, 08:04:36 PM #7 Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:05:05 PM by Gwen Eiber
She didn't feel quite right calling him Emit.  There was a proper decorum, especially when dealing with her elders. It was hard to remember he was older the way he was blushing as she took off his shirt though.  She managed not to smile or blush herself.  She was just doing her job after all.  She did have to admire his stoicism about the painful burns, bruises and lacerations.  She wondered if, like Mr. King, he was used to such hurts.

She didn't waste time once he'd agreed to the treatment.  She attached the needle to the hub and then the luer lock to the chest tube. "All right Mr. Culpepper, I need you to take as deep a breath in as you can and then hold it for as long as you can.  This is going to be uncomfortable to say the least." She waited until he took the breath in and then deflated the bulb inside the chest tube.  It took a significant amount of upper body strength for the young woman to shift the tube, the squelching crunch of cartilage being maneuvered to accommodate the tube loud in the otherwise quiet room. She was holding her breath as well. Gwen was working as fast as she could, reinflating the bulb to hold the tube in the proper position. 

The young doctor kept her eyes on Emit's for a moment trying to reassure him that he'd be okay.   She placed one hand on the center of his chest, a gesture he might find comforting but in truth she was using her hand to find the spaces between his ribs.  One smooth movement and a quiet pop and the needle slid between, a bubble of blood forming on the needle hub as she moved her hand from the center of his chest to grab the gauze. the bubble burst, then several jets of blood spurted from the hub, mostly caught on the gauze. Emit could suddenly breath again though. It was a long moment til she seemed satisfied there was no more blood to come, withdrawing the needle with a sigh of relief.  She hadn't done anything like this since she had helped her dad tend a man who'd been stomped by a bull when she was 10, and while in theory she knew it'd work actual practice was something else.

"There now Mr. Culpepper, you should find it a bit easier to breathe. You've got some serious damage to your lungs though.  You'll need to be on some antibiotics and do some breathing exercises.  I'm afraid you'll be seeing a lot of me while you are on the station, at least if you want to get those lungs healed up again." She was smiling at him again though, in that way that said everything was going to be okay.

Emit Culpepper

December 12, 2019, 10:11:59 AM #8 Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:06:50 AM by Emit Culpepper

Emit focused on a small discoloration in the paint on the opposite wall,focusing the pain away from his body. He didn't want the young Doctor to see his discomfort, she probably wasn't used to seeing such beaten down men. He didn't want to be the one she had to learn from.

She was kind and gentle, the Black hadn't caught her yet. That was a pleasant thought which actually made him smile briefly to himself. He needed to be reminded of kind and gentle. The events on Newhall were still very fresh.

As the young Doctor inserted the needle he made a conscious effort not to wince or display discomfort. Being stabbed by a pig sticker probably would have felt better. Weren't no fault to the young Doctor, she was an absolute gem, anyone could see her skill and dedication from miles away.

He soon found the pain subsiding and his breathing less labored. He showed her a genuine smile of thanks as she completed his treatment. Waiting for the needle to be fully removed before speaking with her.

"Doctor might I say it was a pleasure watching you work. You are quite skilled by my observations. Must be quick as a whip too I'd bet. I sure would like to offer to buy you a cup of coffee or such and a slice of pie for your kindness."

His face showed a real genuineness that tends to be lacking in most travels around the Black. His eyes showing truth.

Gwen Eiber

December 12, 2019, 11:18:31 AM #9 Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:05:25 PM by Gwen Eiber
Emit wasn't trying to let Gwen see how much he was hurting but she could tell.  The tenseness in his muscles, the tightness around his eyes and mouth gave him away, though he never complained.  She was trained to notice such subtle nuances.  It didn't make her think any less of him though. He was a trooper.  She rather admired his grit.  She appreciated the smile too, let her know he understood she hadn't hurt him on purpose, well, at least not any more than necessary.  Her belief of "First do no harm" was something she took quite seriously as a doctor and she strived not to cause a patient discomfort or pain if she could help it.

She also appreciated his shift in tone.  She'd demonstrated her skills and his form of address had changed from 'Miss' to 'Doctor'. That alone earned him another warm and genuine smile.  She couldn't count the number of times she'd had to prove herself over and over because of her age and gender.  She wasn't sure what to think of the offer of coffee and pie though, it likely wouldn't be appropriate, as he was her patient, but she didn't think he meant anything untoward, he seemed genuine in just wanting to show his appreciation.

It made her wonder though, if Mr. King had made the same sort of offer would she turn it down as well because he was her patient? Just that quickly, her cheeks began to warm and flush.  Emit would likely think his offer had caused that blush and that could cause issues in its own right. She pushed the thought of the bodyguard away almost as quickly as it'd taken form, as Mr. King had shown no interest in her at all and seemed quite devoted to Charity.  She needed to stop letting him creep into her thoughts unbidden.

Her cheeks were still flushed and she wouldn't meet Emit's eyes as she tried to compose herself.  She knew she looked worse than a schoolgirl. She disposed of the soiled gauze and equipment, then removed her gloves and washed her hands again. Retrieving a stethoscope, warming it for a moment before placing it against his chest, listening to his lungs as he inhaled and exhaled. Her touch was light as a feather, trying to be as gentle as she could be with the bruised and battered man.

"It was my pleasure to treat you Mr. Culpepper, and it certainly was no hardship to be kind.  Especially to the man being called the Hero of Newhall." Her voice was soft, kind but respectful as she set the stethoscope to the side, gloved up and began cleaning the area around the chest tube and then applying a sterile dressing.  Once the dressing was in place she stepped back, moving to wash her hands once more. "You can button your shirt up now."  She thought he might be less discomfited if she were occupied and not watching, or worse helping, while he did so.

"I'll be prescribing you an antibiotic, which you'll need to take twice a day for 7 days and I have some medication that you'll need to take through a nebulizer machine a couple times a day as well.  It will help heal the tissue inside.  In about 3 or 4 days I should be able to remove the chest tube, no more than a week at the outside, depending on how quickly you heal."

Emit Culpepper

December 13, 2019, 06:36:02 PM #10 Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:07:24 AM by Emit Culpepper

Emit began the long process of buttoning his shirt,a once simple task that now seemed like a marathon. He knew the burns would heal in time, the medical staff on Newhall assured him that there wouldn't be any nerve damage as well. The thought of asking the young Doctor for assistance caused his heart to race and his palms to sweat. He hadn't felt this kind of anxiety in a very long time. The goram shirt wasn't going to button it's self,he needed to just man up and ask the kind Doctor for help.
" My deepest apologies Doctor,but it looks like I'm going to need your kindness for another moment or so. These pesky burns are hindering my ability to do even the simplest of task. Should have known better, took me near thirty minutes to put the thing on this morning. Hardest park about all this is feeling helpless."
Palms sweaty,heart racing he stood trying to maneuver his arm,trying not to be a burden to the young Doctor. "Never mind Doctor, that was foolish of me to ask,to burden you with such a task."
As he stood there attempting to manipulate his arm,the room took a quick spin, his balance suddenly lost, causing him to bump into the backside of the young Doctor.

Gwen Eiber

December 13, 2019, 08:30:33 PM #11 Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:05:43 PM by Gwen Eiber
She was surprised he asked for help, but she didn't mind at all. Truthfully, she should have offered, but he'd seemed so embarrassed before.  She dried her hands quickly, turning to help just as he stumbled into her. "Mr. Culpepper!" Her voice full of concern as she tried to steady him, her much shorter frame pressed tightly against him as she helped maneuver him to sit down safely.  Once he was settled the fingers of her right hand gently took his wrist, checking his pulse. His heart rate was slightly elevated, his cheeks flushed, palms sweaty.  She raised her hand, placing the inside of her wrist to his temple, checking his temperature. The pale skin of her arm felt cool against his forehead and he could smell the fresh clean scent of her soap.

Satisfied that he wasn't going to faint anytime soon her hands moved to his shirt, fastening the buttons with quick economical movements. "How are you feeling Mr. Culpepper? Still dizzy?" Her big blue eyes peering into his rather seriously, her features showing her concern. "I think perhaps it would be best if you stayed here for a while." Her tone making it clear it wasn't really a suggestion.

Emit Culpepper

December 14, 2019, 05:23:00 PM #12 Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:07:58 AM by Emit Culpepper

The young Doctor had basically ordered him to stay a spell for more observation and who was he to argue. Not to mention that he was feeling like he had just gone eight seconds on a bramel bull. Taking her hand again briefly as she aided him in buttoning his shirt. "I think that would be best too,sorry for putting you through all this trouble." He trusted her,she was a good person. Not many of those had graced his presence recently. He needed this as much as he needed the rest.

Gwen Eiber

Emit took her hand for a moment and the young doctor didn't know what to think of that.  It certainly didn't remind her of when Matthias would hold her hand back on Santo.  She extricated her hand delicately, her own cheeks flushed as she finished buttoning his shirt quickly and efficiently.  "Of course Mr. Culpepper, you are no trouble at all.  I'd just feel better if you'd stay and let me, uh, my staff watch over you for a few days.  Let me show you to your room."

She carefully helped him stand, letting him lean on her if he needed to, taking pains not to jostle the chest tube. "Do you have luggage or bags you need to have retrieved?"She escorted him down the hall, his face clearly visible thru the recovery room window, should Charity or Mr.King be looking out.  She took him in to the room next door, the one that Mr. King had occupied not so long ago. She helped get him settled onto the bed.

"I'll be back in a few moments with the antibiotic and the breathing treatment I mentioned.  After that I expect we'll see about some coffee and some breakfast.  I need to check on my other patients and I'll be right back.  If you need anything hit the call light." She gave him time to reply, then went next door to check up on Charity.  She'd been in the middle of arranging breakfast after all when she'd been called away.

"Sorry about that Miss, emergencies do seem to pop up around here."  She gave Charity an apologetic smile, eyes drifting to Mr. King to see if he was still sleeping.

Charity

December 15, 2019, 12:22:12 PM #14 Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:34:08 PM by Charity

A sigh lifted and lowered her shoulders as Charity looked around the room, taking a moment to stare at King as he laid half-seated on the bed near her. She was fairly certain he was awake, and had been from the start, especially given his occupation and their recent history. One corner of her lips quirked upward in amusement at what she was assuming was a fairly successful act, but she turned away and sighed again upon remembering where they were. A hand lifted slowly to run testing fingertips over the healing scar on her arm, her touch light and cautious. Where was breakfast? she wondered, pursing her lips for a moment and moving her hand from her arm up to push her chocolate curls away from her face, smoothing them out as she did so. I should have brought a book, she noted a moment later, almost pouting at the lack of anything to do.

As she was contemplating asking the doctor woman if there were any reading materials she could borrow, she saw her pass in front of the room's window with a patient in tow. Cherry lips parted and she threw back her blankets, sliding sideways to sit with her feet hanging off the edge of the bed. "The constable!" she exclaimed softly, turning her head to eye King who she wasn't sure had met the man, although she was pretty sure he hadn't. The doctor entered again and she waved a hand to dismiss the woman's apology as well as her eyeing of her bodyguard, then pointed toward the window, "Where did he come from? What's wrong with him?" she asked, then shook her head to get her thoughts straight. Asking vague questions likely wouldn't get her the answers the wanted. "Emit Culpepper," the debutante clarified, enunciating his name very carefully and pointedly. By now, King had dropped the ruise and was sitting up watching them both, doing his duties as a bodyguard splendidly*

*narrated with Axe's permission.

Gwen Eiber

Gwen seemed surprised to find Charity seated on the edge of the bed and even more surprised to find that she knew the latest patient to be admitted.  "You know Mr. Culpepper?  The Hero of Newhall?" Something in her tone of voice conveying the utmost respect.  "I can't discuss his condition of course, but if you'd like to see him, I can see if he'd like some company.  I was getting ready to bring him some medicine and then go get some breakfast for you and Mr. King.  I hadn't forgotten." She managed a smile, looking somewhat flustered. "This morning has quite gotten away from me."

Charity

From his own bed, King watched Cherry interacting with the doctor, returning the woman's glance with an amiable and polite smile. For now, however, he was content to let his body heal while he kept an eye on his charge.

Charity snorted a little, then lifted a hand to cover her mouth demurely, attempting to hide the incredulous grin, "The hero of what now?" she asked, looking toward the window with an unconvinced raising of her perfectly manicured brows. She turned to look at King, as though to include him in her doubtful mirth, but paused. He hadn't known Emit when he was aboard Wushu and Amorru wasn't here for her to share this moment with. She frowned.

"Does this station have a communication system? I'd like to somehow get a message to our pilot. Or perhaps you could have someone locate him for me?" she asked, smoothing out the blanket over her lap as she did so, her eyes moving from her own hands to the window. "Perhaps while you're arranging our breakfast," Charity added in a softer voice, almost as an after thought. With an inhale, she turned to look at the doctor again, "And, yes, if you could ask Mr. Culpepper if he'd be up for some visitors, that would me absolutely splendid," she confirmed, offering the doctor woman and warm and brilliant smile.

Her attention went to the dress hanging up in the room and her head tilted to the side, dark curls moving with her. "Did you repair that?" she asked, looking at Gwen once more. "I won't be needing it, but I do thank you for the effort, if it was you. You may keep it, if you'd like," she offered. Charity had no intention of wearing that dress again, for many reasons. 1) It had been what she'd been wearing when she'd been shot, a memory she wasn't eager to keep in the forefront of her mind, and 2) It had been sullied, and was therefor no longer new, current, or fashionable in her mind. She'd get a replacement once she felt ready to be up and about.

Gwen Eiber

December 17, 2019, 09:36:35 PM #17 Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:39:14 PM by Gwen Eiber

The young doctor nodded solemnly.  "The Hero of Newhall.  He was there during a terrorist attack.  He rescued several people, including a mother and child, at great peril and personal injury." She couldn't discuss his injuries of course, but her tone said that they had been extensive and severe. The account in his chart had been perhaps a tad over poetic, but Gwen wouldn't know that.

"I'll let Mr. Culpepper know you'd like to see him, since you seem to be acquainted.  Is Miss Cherry the name he'll know you by or is there another more proper title?" Mr. Amorru had called her Duchess after all, she feared might be misaddressing her. "As for your pilot, if you have a name or description I'll be glad to track them down for you. Or find someone that can." Amorru she had met, but had no clue he was the wayward pilot.

"And yes Miss, I did repair your dress. Not as well as your girl would do I'm sure, but I hated to see something so fine be destroyed. Waste not, want not as Daddy would say." She blushed at the offer of the dress, one hand finding her braid, giving it a sharp tug, tripping over her words as she stammered a reply. "I'm no fine lady to be wearing a dress like that, would be like putting pearls on a pig.I'd look quite the fool prancing about the operating room in such a thing." If her eyes glanced longingly at it for half a heartbeat, well, that would be natural for most women.

Charity

December 17, 2019, 10:00:18 PM #18 Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:05:20 PM by Charity

"Charity will suffice," she assured the doctor when asked what name Emit might actually remember. Now, the question of their pilot."Description," she repeated softly, setting her fingertip over her lower lip as she thought on what the easiest descriptor would be for the pilot. She'd already described him to the doctor, but she did suppose the poor woman wouldn't have a manifest of their ship to put a face to a job title. Or, well she didn't suppose they had a manifest of their own ship. Or a ship. "The best pilot in the..." she paled a moment and looked at the Doctor, clearing her throat in preparation for the less than polite verbiage, "gorram 'verse, would be the best descriptor, I'm sure," she offered, smiling. The pompousness of the self proclaimed title alone should jog her memory.

"I'm no fine lady to be wearing a dress like that, would be like putting pearls on a pig. I'd look quite the fool prancing about the operating room in such a thing."

Charity's ruby lips parted as her jaw dropped and she stared in absolute pained horror at the woman, her brows furrowed in concerned surprise and a woefully naked hand lifting to settle over her heart, as though to keep it from leaping out of her chest. She started a couple of sentences, not able to find the words to finish any of them after hearing such a thing. Finally, Charity reached out to take one of Gwen's hands, holding it between both of her own, her brows furrowed in determination and her gaze locked solely upon the woman's own eyes.

"You took an oath not to harm anyone, especially your patients, yes? Then you will take that dress, or I will positively die from the pain of hearing you say such terrible things about yourself," she told her firmly, leaving no room for argument.

"Look at you, you silly thing! Golden hair, soft ivory skin, bright eyes, a brain filled with more than fluff. Why, despite what was likely a country upbringing, you are an absolute gem, and that dress would suit you magnificently!" she continued, sounding like she was scolding the woman despite the kind words. "Tell me you'll take it? Or I shall pass away right here on this bed," the debutante threatened, still holding Gwen in place by her hand.

Gwen Eiber

She nodded at the name.  She could relay that to Mr. Culpepper easily enough.  As for the pilot, that description actually made her visibly wince. "Your pilot? Mr. Amorru?" The softest breath of a sigh, her braid given another tug. "I'll find him for you  if that's your wish." Why the woman would want someone like that around when a man like Mr. King was by her side was something that Gwen just couldn't fathom but it wasn't her place to question such a lady.  She just knew if she had a fellow like Mr. King she wouldn't look twice at someone like Amorru, no matter how handsome he might be, that attitude made him downright ugly.  Her cheeks colored and she was afraid that Charity could read her thoughts plain as day, her eyes lowering even as her cheeks flushed with her shame. She tugged her braid again and then Charity brought up the dress.

Charity took her hand and insisted she take the dress and her embarrassment turned to absolute mortification.  She nodded, stammering out a mumbled 'thank you', practically tripping over herself to extract her hand and flee. Oh sweet six pound eight ounce baby Jesus the things that woman said. And in front of Mr. King no less.  If she didn't know one couldn't actually die of mortification she would have sworn she was.  By the time she got the medication and made it back to Mr. Culpepper's room her cheeks were no less flushed, but at least she was able to speak.

She knocked on Mr. Culpepper's door, letting herself in before he really had a chance to reply.  She set up the breathing machine and prepped the medicine, placing the mask on his face with her usual level of gentle professionalism.  She started the machine and then spoke loud enough to be heard over the hum. "In the room next door is a woman who seems to know you Mr. Culpepper, a fine lady, Miss Charity.  She'd like to see you if you feel up to it. I'm going to fetch breakfast and afterwards you may visit if you like. But only if you feel up to it." She gave him a smile, but with the mask on he really couldn't reply.  She let herself out and grabbed one of the nurses. 

The nurse she sent to Alice's to fetch breakfast for the patients.  She left the med bay to go hunt up Amorru.  If he was out and about on the station she would find him and she would bring him back to the medbay, even if she had to hog tie him and drag him back to Miss Charity.