Moira Chambers

Started by Scout, November 10, 2019, 10:15:16 AM

Cortex Mainframe

November 10, 2019, 10:15:16 AM Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:54:54 PM by RUNE
Moira Chambers
Player: Scout

Primary Occupation:  Barber/hairdresser
Secondary Occupation:  Surgeon
Equipment:  Hairdresser's tools, doctor's equipment, watercolor painting supplies, journals, a handful of physical books, a personal datapad and a smaller pda that essentially functions as a beeper when she's out and about the Iscariot station

Appearance:  With her unstyled ginger locks and sensible attire, Moira probably doesn't match most people's mental image of what a typical salon owner looks like. That's not to say she's unattractive; there is a cold beauty to her features, all angles and cheekbones and alabaster skin, she just doesn't do much to highlight it. Despite standing at a mere 5'4", she can have a very commanding presence, particularly when she's in full doctor mode and there's a bleeding patient requiring her assistance. She comes across as perpetually tired, as if she's operating in a constant state of mild sleep deprivation.
Faceclaim:  Jessica Chastain

Initial Personality:  Moira tries to put on a warm, friendly face for her clientele, at least some of the time; there are days when she just can't be bothered. While rarely outright mean or rude, she does come across as standoffish, and even when she's making attempts at small-talk, it's obvious that customer service isn't exactly her cup of tea. She has a very no-nonsense approach to cutting hair, most likely due to being more accustomed to cutting up people, an activity that leaves much less room for idle banter. If you catch her outside work hours she warms up a little, although her demeanor always seems to hold a certain rueful undercurrent.
Underlying Personality:  When it comes to her actual chosen profession as a trauma surgeon, it's safe to call Moira a workaholic. The constant pressure to overachieve is what ultimately wrecked her promising career on the Core, but she still practices her trade in secret because it's the only thing she feels truly passionate about. Her cynical exterior hides a bruised but kind soul; she knows full well that the Verse is full of bad people and isn't easily taken advantage of, but she tries to give people the benefit of the doubt whenever she can -- occasionally even Lil' Sebastian and his goons. The one person completely exempt from her good will is herself; Moira is wracked by a deep self-loathing that fuels her alcohol problem. She likes to think of herself as a recovering addict, but she's just lying to herself.

Known History:  Moira Jean Chambers has led a dull and uneventful life. She was born into a middle class family on Osiris in 2480, where she eventually attended and graduated from a small, thoroughly unnotable beauty school. She is an only child and has never been married.
Other History:  If Moira Chambers' biography seems sparse, it's because she has only existed for a few months. If you know her true identity -- which is a well-guarded secret --  you get to unlock her actual tragic backstory. She was born Dimitra Paige Lee on July 21, 2480, on Bernadette, but has lived on Osiris for most of her adult life. There, she graduated from medical school in 2506, became a fully licensed trauma surgeon in 2512 and proceeded to have a promising career that culminated in her losing her medical license in 2517 after a patient died on her operating table and she was deemed partially responsible through negligence. She has one older sister, Adora, and was married to Daniel Montrose, a fellow doctor, from 2507 to 2514.

While Moira Chambers is something of a hot mess, Dimitra Lee was an overachiever from a young age. It probably had something to do with the fact that she always felt like her parents' second favorite daughter; while Adora had a magnetic personality that seemed to automatically attract friends, lovers and opportunities, Dimitra was a shrinking violet who struggled to get the recognition she craved. Being the more introverted and bookish of the two, she clung to her smarts as something that set her apart from her sister, and dedicated her time to academia at the cost of other areas of her life. And yet, even as she graduated with honors, got into a prestigious medical school and met her strapping future husband, she never felt like she quite measured up.

The seeds of Dimitra's problematic relationship with alcohol were planted in medical school, but it didn't blossom into full-blown addiction until her career began to take off and the demands of the job -- and her self-imposed pressure to excel at it -- started to take a toll on her. As she began to stretch herself too thin, her marriage was the first thing to fall apart; her career followed suit a few years later after a patient she was operating on perished. While losing patients is unfortunately not unheard of in a surgeon's line of work, the follow-up investigation uncovered Dimitra's alcohol abuse, which was believed to have contributed to the death. After an excruciating legal process and minor media circus, Dimitra was ultimately able to avoid jail time, but lost her job, license and reputation.

Dimitra's family was supportive of her throughout the whole ordeal which, bizarrely enough, chagrined her more than it comforted her. Adora, now a successful stylist on Londinium, offered her a job at her salon to help her get back on her feet, and Dimitra begrudgingly accepted because she didn't have any other options. For a while she attended rehab and tried to enjoy her new, mentally unstimulating job working for her picture perfect sister who still had her life together. Suffice it to say, it was sheer torture, and so one day Dimitra just up and left, severing all ties with her friends and family.

She eventually wound up on SS Iscariot and just kind of generally floundered about until one day Lil' Sebastian, ever the enterprising businessman, approached her. He offered her a new identity and the opportunity to continue practicing her trade on the down-low in exchange for working for him and patching up his goons and associates. It was clearly a deal with the devil, but Dimitra took it anyway; starting over as Moira Chambers felt a lot easier than going back home and trying to pick up the pieces that were left of Dimitra Lee, even if it meant rubbing shoulders with career criminals. She's still inclined to believe so, although it's starting to require more mental gymnastics as time goes by.

Skills and Strengths:  Trained doctor, with a specialization in trauma surgery. Strong stomach and nerves of steel. Pretty good at cutting and styling hair and facial hair, although not as experienced as she claims on her fake resume. Has an artistic streak and is a decent painter.
Weaknesses:  No ship-related knowledge or skills. No combat skills. Socially awkward. High-functioning alcoholic. Shaky self-esteem. Depression, probably.

RUNE

I know that I hung on a windy tree nine long nights, wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin, myself to myself, on that tree of which no man knows from where its roots run.
No bread did they give me nor a drink from a horn, downwards I peered; I took up the runes, screaming I took them, then I fell back from there.
The songs I know that king's wives know not Nor men that are sons of men.
So do I write and color the runes.

Moira Chambers

December 29, 2019, 10:55:37 PM #2 Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:14:14 AM by Moira Chambers
Equipment
Hairdresser's tools, doctor's equipment, watercolor painting supplies, journals, a handful of physical books, a personal datapad and a smaller pda that essentially functions as a beeper when she's out and about the Iscariot station
Dialogue color: mediumpurple
Owner of Prime Cuts

Moira Chambers

December 29, 2019, 10:55:59 PM #3 Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:15:07 AM by Moira Chambers
Medical Records

Official Records:
MALADYDESC-TREATMENT-ETC
INJURYDESC-TREATMENT-ETC

Alias/Ship Records:
MALADYDESC-TREATMENT-ETC
INJURYDESC-TREATMENT-ETC
Owner of Prime Cuts

Moira Chambers

Owner of Prime Cuts