Episode 2: Hub

Started by Gwen Eiber, October 17, 2019, 06:08:16 PM

Gwen Eiber

October 17, 2019, 06:08:16 PM Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:39:44 PM by Lomari

Gwen kept them moving at a quickstep to the medbay.  She glanced at the tall and wiry man walking next to her, pleased by his attentiveness to the injured woman.  That earned him a friendly enough smile. "Thank you.  I'm glad to hear that, she's lost a lot of blood. Glad to know we'll have plenty on hand to replace it with."  She placed a gentle hand on Charity's brow, a soothing touch. "Don't worry Cherry-girl, I've got you." Her voice southern genteel, smooth as silk. She glanced up at King again with a little nod, "I've been here a short spell.  I expect I'll be moving on soon enough.  Doing a little sight seeing. Now, you set yourself down over there and we'll tend that shoulder in a minute, Mr. uh?" An expectant look for his name. The slightly raised brow said she'd brook no nonsense from him.  "I need to take care of this fine young lady before she bleeds out on me and if I'm lucky she won't lose the use of her arm.  When I'm finished I need to dig the slug out of your shoulder." 

She let one of the other crew take Charity back to prep for surgery as she stepped to the sink and began the process of gowning and scrubbing up, at least as much as you could in a set up like this. "And you try not to damage the lady's dress any more than need be. I'll have a heck of a time repairing it as is." That directed over a shoulder to her staff.

Once she was prepped she joined Charity in the small surgery suite.  Blood and fluids running as she had ordered. She lifted the surgical instruments and began to sing as she worked.  First the compromised blood vessel repaired. Her voice lifting a rich alto as she completed the tiny sutures by hand, no fancy technology for her.  Once satisfied that Charity wouldn't bleed out she began the tedious work of repairing muscle and nerve.  She seemed to be singing about a woman named "Jolene".

King would hear the sound of her voice as one of the other staff comes to get him prepped and ready for surgery as well if he'll allow, pain meds if he'll take them, wanting him to gown up, get on another gurney and allow them to begin cleaning the wound and readying it for surgical intervention.  He's next on the young doctor's list.
Pretty is as pretty does.

Amorru Reyes

October 21, 2019, 10:47:27 PM #1 Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 10:53:53 PM by RUNE

Amorru's grip on the blood-stained cape shook as he made strides to catch up with the moving medical staff around Charity. They're weren't exactly running but moving with a steady purpose, and he made strides to catch up. Jesse's initial attempts to get his attention went unnoticed and unanswered.

"The bullet went through but she is going to require a blood transfusion and I need to get the vein repaired. Does anyone know her blood type?"

Amorru shook his head, looking down as he felt like he'd failed Charity yet again. "Maybe if I hadn't chased Grace away, but-"

"She's AB+, universal recipient. So that shouldn't be much of a problem."

"Oy, is that it? How's a thing like that come up? She just mention it all casually in between bomb blasts back on Newhall?"

Amorru's eyes hardened into a glare across the gurney as the concern he felt for Charity grew to include King. But a different kind of concern took hold: the suspicious kind. Amorru imagined only one way King knew something like that, and didn't much care for his methods or what other information the other man may now possess.

"Do you have a name darlin'? I'm Gwendola and I'm gonna patch you all up. Don't you fret." "Her name's Char-" "You can call her Cherry, Doc. Do your best, she deserves it."

"Hey you.... With the hair!"

Amorru turned his heels on Jesse, leering a bit at her call for his attention. "Excuse you. Really. Two steps back, please. Cheers. Now. You fancy offerin' me a proper wigging, bǎobǎo, you'll have to do it in there." Amorru pointed toward the doors Charity's newest entourage passed through.

"I need to take care of this fine young lady before she bleeds out on me and if I'm lucky she won't lose the use of her arm.  When I'm finished I need to dig the slug out of your shoulder." 

Amorru blinked at the young doctor as if she were raving mad. "Right, he's fine. Did you say if you're lucky? How much of a gamble are we talkin', doc?" Amorru tried not to spit the last syllable out with as much venom as when he addressed Grace lately, but his best intentions betrayed him. He couldn't have sounded any less sincere or grateful. What he heard next made his eyes spin. "And you try not to damage the lady's dress any more than need be. I'll have a heck of a time repairing it as is." Slow, sarcastic clapping preceded Amorru's next question. "Listen, Stitches, figure you best be focusing on the Duchesses' wounds more'n her dress, yeah?" Amorru set a pointed glare on King as he referred to Charity by his own chosen nickname for her. "We all got hobbies. Like havin' a sneaky peak at the crew's medical files, maybe. That what you been up to, when you're not snoopin' 'round the bend looking so pleased with yourself?" Amorru offered up a smug smirk of his own, waiting to see the results of letting both the doctor and the bodyguard know where they stood with him.

"Ruttin' Bollocks." Amorru adjusted the collar on his shirt, sighed, and looked at Jesse. "Alright. So we standin' here flappin' our arms, or do you wanna go 'n' get drunk about it?"
It's a mechanical bull at number one You'll take a ride from anyone
Everyone wants a ride, pulls away, Ooh, From you

Metric, "Black Sheep"

Gwen Eiber

October 24, 2019, 01:30:06 PM #2 Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:53:18 AM by Lomari

Gwen had no problem standing toe to toe with the pilot, her cornflower blue eyes taking on a steely glint, though that sweetness in her voice didn't change one bit, if anything it took on a bit more of the Southern twang. "Well, bless your little heart, and you would be whom exactly in relation to MY patient?" One brow quirking dangerously as she stared him down. 

She was young and used to being questioned about her abilities because of it but she was not going to let this cocky little rooster get under her skin. She spoke to him slowly and clearly like one might to a slightly retarded orangutan.  "To answer your question, it depends more on how long ago she was shot than with my skill with a needle. The radial nerve is the largest neural network and major peripheral nerve of the upper limb. This nerve affects some forearm muscles in the lower parts of the elbow and is involved in providing cutaneous sensory innervation for a large part of the back of the hand, to translate, that means it determines how much feeling she'll have. The control of the forearm extensor muscles, wrist and fingers are also provided by this nerve. Therefore, if the radial nerve is damaged, the lady in question may not be able to raise her wrist and fingers due to paralysis of the forearm's extensor muscles. She might also suffer from radial neuropathy, or in terms your overly coiffed head can understand nerve damage.  She'll need to be watched for signs of pain, paralysis, loss of ability, numbness, bending of the wrists, stretching, lack of coordination, tingling and atrophy. Even after I go in and manually restitch the nerve and muscle fibers, we'll have to see if they've been deprived of blood flow too long.  If that's the case it may never heal, or it might only partially heal. Only time will tell.  And you better have a damn good doctor to look after her and do the therapy she'll require or what I do what won't mean jack squat. So, you jumped up jack nape, quit acting like a horse's pi gu and let me do my job."

She gave King an apologetic smile.  A lady didn't lose her temper like that or swear but that "Stitches" comment just really burned her biscuits. She most definitely wasn't going to put up with that kind of condenscending lecture from a man with a pompadour like a peacock.

And even though she could tell most of his outburst was driven by guilt (not that she would know exactly what he was guilty of) she just couldn't help herself. She went back to scrubbing up for surgery, tossing back at Amorru as a parting shot. "And Miss Cherry seems like the type of lady who'll be mighty unhappy to wake up and find her fine dress has been ruined.  I don't think she'd approve at all.  Do you want to be responsible for THAT too?"

Jedikiah Rembo

October 25, 2019, 06:04:36 PM #3 Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:53:08 AM by Lomari

The ship Jedikiah arrived on was held. Something happening on the docks some deck worker said. He had taken passage on a cargo ship and waited to disembark. His new shop waited on the other side of the doors, hopefully set up and near ready for opening.

"it has been a pleasure traveling with you." He told a couple of the also waiting deck hands, they stood ready to unload some cargo. "although I do think that card game you taught me might be better if the rules didn't change quite so often."

They laughed a little, one slapped him on the back. "You caught on quick enough din't ya?"

And then the doors opened. Jed took his bags and stepped onto Iscariot.

. . .

Jedikiah moved through the docks, something was amiss. There was some after signs of chaos. With blood.
After a not too easy encounter with someone that might have been security he determined that yes, he might be needed on the Medical Deck, which was... somewhere up top.
Another inquiry to someone else with as little interest in talking about what had happened on the docks and Jed finally discovered the transport tubes. Or the transport module.

He stared at the control, tried to tap the screen, got a list of some shops and ... engineering sections.

Staring at the controls, he stepped back. "Medical Deck." The transport moved with an easy motion and he quickly found himself stepping off. A little look around at people standing about, looking, mumbling. There was anger and concern. A very usual crowd gathered outside of a trauma center.

A quick word with someone at the steps and up he went leaving his bags below.

Inside the surgery unit were three patients. Another medical tended to one. A man with an obvious bloody injured shoulder stood nearby and a third was unconscious.

"I'm Jedikiah Rembo, expected I hope. How can I be of assistance?" He was already standing next to the unconscious man, his fingers lightly on his throat, his eyes on his breathing. They flickered over to the man with the bloody shoulder.
Yang Style Tai Chi and Shaolin Kung Fu
 - And Medical Practitioner

Akhsar King

"I've been here a short spell.  I expect I'll be moving on soon enough.  Doing a little sight seeing. Now, you set yourself down over there and we'll tend that shoulder in a minute, Mr. uh?"

"Oh, sorry, my names King." He said in reply to her query.

"I need to take care of this fine young lady before she bleeds out on me and if I'm lucky she won't lose the use of her arm.  When I'm finished I need to dig the slug out of your shoulder." Gwen said as one of her med-team took Charity into the O.R. to prep her for surgery. King gave a rueful smile. "No worries Doc, take as much time as you need with her. I've been shot before, and this aint that bad. It'll keep for a bit."

By now Amorru had joined them in the med-bay, and was currently looking at the young doctor as if she were raving mad. "Right, he's fine. Did you say if you're lucky? How much of a gamble are we talkin', doc?" His voice displayed not an ounce of gratefulness. King sighed.

Gwen made a comment to the staffer prepping Charity to be careful not to damage her dress to much, and that she could repair it, which set Amorru going again. He began clapping, very slowly and sarcastically.

"Listen, Stitches, figure you best be focusing on the Duchesses' wounds more'n her dress, yeah?" When he used his own nickname for Charity he glared directly at King. "We all got hobbies. Like havin' a sneaky peak at the crew's medical files, maybe. That what you been up to, when you're not snoopin' 'round the bend looking so pleased with yourself?"

King blinked. "No, I haven't been peaking at the crews medical files, Ru, she hired me to protect-" He paused and grimaced. "She hired me to protect her. Body guard. Her blood type is kind of important information for her bodyguard to know." Then his eyes narrowed a fraction. "Why, should I be peaking at them?" He couldn't tell if this was just Amorru lashing out, or if the man was genuinely worried about King having seen his med-file.

Amorru offered nothing but a smug smirk to Kings reply, and to Gwens totally justified retaliatory tirade, and then left without another word.

King sighed again, and shrugged at Gwen. "Sorry Doc, he's had a rough couple of days, don't take what he said to personal."

Gwen finished scrubbing up and headed into the O.R. to start working on Charity. King caught little bits of the song she was singing, and chuckled a little. Nothing wrong with humming a tune while you worked. He also took it as a good sign that Charity would make it through this alive.

Another med-tech brought in an unconscious man on a gurney, while a second one came over and started prepping King for the Doctor. He shrugged and did as he was told, however he point blank refused the pain medication.

Shortly afterwards an older gentleman entered the med-bay.

Quote from: Jedikiah Rembo on October 25, 2019, 06:04:36 PM"I'm Jedikiah Rembo, expected I hope. How can I be of assistance?" He was already standing next to the unconscious man, his fingers lightly on his throat, his eyes on his breathing. They flickered over to the man with the bloody shoulder.

King gave the man a nod, just to be polite, but left the interacting to the med-staff.
Dialogue Color: Olivedrab

Gwen Eiber

October 26, 2019, 06:45:46 PM #5 Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:52:38 AM by Lomari

Gwen was pleased over all. Whoever had seen to Charity's arm before she had gotten to it had likely saved the young woman's life. She repaired the vein without much difficulty, but took a little more time with the innervation of muscle and nerve. By the time she was using the dermal mender to close the wound she was actually feeling bad about the tongue lashing she had given Amorru.  Not that he didn't have it coming. She left instructions to her staff for Charity to get two more units of blood and keep an eye on her vitals.  She thought the young woman would recover well, though there was a chance she might have some nerve damage. Only time would tell.  That would depend somewhat on if she was willing to do the therapy it would require afterwards.

She stepped out of the operating suite,stripping off the gloves and paper gown.  She gave King a smile and nod and then spotted Jedikiah tending to the wounded pilot.  Her face brightened with a smile to dim the sun and she made a happy sound, looking every bit as young as her ident card said.  "Uncle Jed! What are you doing here?" She crossed the room in short order, jumping up to give him a huge heartfelt hug. "Mama and Daddy didn't say you were coming. Did they know you were coming here? I haven't seen you in ages.  How's Auntie Marlena?" She was chattering about a million miles an hour. "Of course, the last time I saw you I must have been what? Maybe 10? It's Gwen Eiber.  Probably don't recognize me all grown up and with my hair braided. It really has been over a dozen years now. You look just like I remember."

She let him go and stepped back, smoothing down her scrubs.Trying to look professional once more she turned back to King. "I apologize Mr. King. Your friend did well during surgery.  I think she should recover well.  If you are ready I'd like to tend to your shoulder. Would you like to scrub in and assist Uncle Jed?  Unless that gentleman needs some assistance?" Indicating the pilot still unconscious on the other gurney, who appears to have a concussion.

Jedikiah Rembo

October 28, 2019, 11:30:37 AM #6 Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:52:31 AM by Lomari

Gwen Eiber stepped from the operating suite. Jedikiah did not recognize her. And then the young woman exploded in a honey sweet delightful ness. "Uncle Jed! What are you doing here?" She crossed the room in short order, jumping up to give him a huge heartfelt hug.

"Well, I, . ." He tried to think, place the woman. 
"Mama and Daddy didn't say you were coming. Did they know you were coming here? I haven't seen you in ages.  How's Auntie Marlena?"
'mommy and daddy, who is?' Jedikiah smiled though, a large happy smile as the woman's sudden mood of joy was quite contagious. She was chattering about a million miles an hour.

"Of course, the last time I saw you I must have been what? Maybe 10? It's Gwen Eiber.  Probably don't recognize me all grown up and with my hair braided. It really has been over a dozen years now. You look just like I remember."

"Gwendola." he said quietly as she hugged him.

Now he knew. But he would have had to do some remembering and thinking to place her. She was no little girl. Rembo chuckle a little at her remembering him just like he was then. He and his late wife had visited her parents, doctors that tended to poor folk out on the rim, much like he and his wife. They had not spent much time together, but those sort of helpful folk bonded quick, and remembered well. He could not remember hearing anything of her parents and their welfare. Obviously Gwen did not know of his wife.

Gwen turned her attention to another patient, the man with the shot shoulder. "Would you like to scrub in and assist Uncle Jed?  Unless that gentleman needs some assistance?" Indicating the pilot still unconscious on the other gurney, who appears to have a concussion.

Jedikiah continued to smile as though he'd been injected with some sort of dental laughing gas. "No, I had no idea you would be here. Was there, well.. yes, let's take care of business ... " The man with the shoulder seemed well in the category of I'm tough enough to take it, don't mind me. He might feel different when the adrenaline wore off.

Jed gave the man a short look.

mmmh . Maybe not.

"You look like you have things well in hand Gwen, I think I'd better make sure," he checked the man's I.D. and stated his name. "is alright. Unconscious but no indication how bad. Do you have any sort of scanner?" he wasn't much for the high tech, but if it was available, nothing better than a look inside.

Rembo turned his attention to the pilot, he called his name several times, pinched him along his arms to see if he could get any reaction.

Gwen Eiber

October 28, 2019, 12:31:25 PM #7 Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:52:21 AM by Lomari

She tried to put her doctor face back on, but seeing her old family friend had definitely brightened her day. She grabbed hold of the wrist thick braid that hung past her waist, giving it a slight tug. It was an old habit but it helped her focus.  She directed Jedikiah and the pilot to a state of the art scanner array.  Indicating where to place the patient and how to operate the equipment with concise instructions. "When did he come in?  It must have been after I started surgery on the young lady's arm. I wasn't aware we had another injured party." 

Once they had been settled she refocused her attention on Mr. King. She was trying to be as serious as she was earlier but the smile kept lighting her features up.  "If you are ready then I'd like to tend to that shoulder." One of the techs pulled her aside, pointing to something on the chart. "Are you sure you don't want any pain medication?  I will try to be as gentle as I can be, but I can also give you a local numbing agent if you don't wish to be fully sedated." Her large blue eyes studied him seriously.  She had taken oaths to 'first do no harm' and to her that also included causing no pain, at least if she could help it.

She scrubbed up once more, donning gown, gloves and mask.  Whatever his choice, she would get him situated on the table, positioning his arm so she could retrieve the slug and then strapping it in place. "I do apologize Mr. King.  I'm afraid this might be a bit 'uncomfortable.' Are you ready to begin?" He couldn't see the smile or the freckles dusted across her cheeks and button nose, just a pair of concerned cornflower blue eyes.

Armed with a scalpel and forceps she began the arduous task of carefully removing the slug without causing more damage to already injured tissue. She didn't sing this time, as her patient was awake and she'd have felt silly.  Instead she walked the patient through the process. "You are a very lucky man Mr. King, the bullet lodged solidly in the muscle tissue medial to the intraspinatus tendon and distal to the coracoid process. It will take some fancy needlework, but once the bullet is removed I can repair the muscle itself.  Since no tendon damage was done the healing process shouldn't take more than a few weeks as long as you go gently.  You'll need some therapy for the shoulder to keep full range of motion, but no nerve damage I don't think. I'll try to keep my stitches tidy so you don't end up with much of a scar."  Her voice calm and soothing as she worked, back to pure professional once more, though that Southern lady couldn't help but shine through. Neither could the fact she was a doctor who cared very much for the welfare of her patients.

Jesse

October 28, 2019, 05:07:59 PM #8 Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:54:10 AM by Lomari

Quote from: Amorru Reyes on October 21, 2019, 10:47:27 PM"Excuse you. Really. Two steps back, please. Cheers. Now. You fancy offerin' me a proper wigging, bǎobǎo, you'll have to do it in there."

Jesse's arms had ceased flapping in disbelief at this point. She really needed to get this over sized jumper off her. The fancy man had only momentarily rendered her silent however, "First of all, I don't do wigs. Nor am I a hair dresser of any sort." She began to make her second point however the fancy man had already left her to follow the fancy bloodied woman.  Who were all these fancy people and their mysterious cowboy.  Still uncertain of where to go, Jesse turned around and looked at the giant mob of people mulling around the station.  The cameras making her a tad nervous, though the giant sack she was wearing probably made her look  lot shorter than she actually was. She saw the sign for a bar in the distance, when a voice caught her attention.

Quote from: Amorru Reyes on October 21, 2019, 10:47:27 PM"Ruttin' Bollocks."

Turning back, her arms flapping with her, Jesse looked up at Amorru,
Quote from: Amorru Reyes on October 21, 2019, 10:47:27 PM"Alright. So we standin' here flappin' our arms, or do you wanna go 'n' get drunk about it?"

Jesse smiled and nodded her head towards the sign, "I think I know a place." She turned and walked toward the establishment, with Amorru presumably following her.

Akhsar King

October 30, 2019, 11:21:39 AM #9 Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:52:04 AM by Lomari

Gwen recognized the older gentleman and began talking to him as soon as she finished with Charity. King waited patiently. He was fairly certain that, given the Docs demeanor, Cherry was going to be perfectly fine.

Once she was done talking to Jedikiah Gwen finally turned back to King, smoothing down her scrubs and seeming to put herself back into professional mode. "I apologize Mr. King. Your friend did well during surgery.  I think she should recover well.  If you are ready I'd like to tend to your shoulder. Would you like to scrub in and assist Uncle Jed?  Unless that gentleman needs some assistance?"

King smiled, and sighed with relief. He could relax a little now.

"You look like you have things well in hand Gwen, I think I'd better make sure," he checked the man's I.D. and stated his name. "is alright. Unconscious but no indication how bad. Do you have any sort of scanner?" Jed replied.

Gwen turned back to King again. "If you are ready then I'd like to tend to that shoulder." King smiled at how animated and friendly Gwen was, he liked her. He got the feeling she was a pretty good Doctor too. She has said she would be moving on soon though... King wondered if she had somewhere specific in mind, or if maybe he could hire her to tend to Cherry as her arm healed. "Ready as I'll ever be, Doc."

One of the techs called her attention to something on Kings chart. "Are you sure you don't want any pain medication?  I will try to be as gentle as I can be, but I can also give you a local numbing agent if you don't wish to be fully sedated." Her large blue eyes studied him seriously. King nodded. "Yes ma'am, I'm sure. You can use a real mild local if you really want, but please nothing stronger than that. Me and narcotics... uh, don't mix well."

Gwen accepted that, and went to scrub up again.

They got him into the O.R., and Gwen stood over him. "I do apologize Mr. King. I'm afraid this might be a bit 'uncomfortable.' Are you ready to begin?" He gave her a smile that was half grimace, and gestured to the small, but impressive, collection of scars scattered around his torso. "Nothing I haven't been through before, Doc. Ready when you are." King enjoyed a rather high tolerance for pain, but even so, fully conscious surgery was never a pleasant experience.

She didn't sing while she worked this time, but she kept up a running commentary as she went, which was almost as good. She had a very calming voice. Yep, good Doc to have around. He thought again. "You are a very lucky man Mr. King, the bullet lodged solidly in the muscle tissue medial to the intraspinatus tendon and distal to the coracoid process. It will take some fancy needlework, but once the bullet is removed I can repair the muscle itself.  Since no tendon damage was done the healing process shouldn't take more than a few weeks as long as you go gently.  You'll need some therapy for the shoulder to keep full range of motion, but no nerve damage I don't think. I'll try to keep my stitches tidy so you don't end up with much of a scar."

"That's what I figured. You get shot enough times you get a feel for the bad ones and the less bad ones. Nice to have it confirmed though. And as you can see, I dont have a problem with scars. One more wont hurt." He kept mostly quiet while she worked, didn't want to distract her to much.

Jedikiah Rembo

October 30, 2019, 11:26:49 AM #10 Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:51:55 AM by Lomari

Gwendola had got him situated at the scanner with the pilot. The neck brace still on, it would not interfere with the scan. A tech came over to help him, which was good since despite Gwendola's instructions, Jedikiah was not familiar with the latest Alliance equipment. It certainly looked like shiny state of the art.

There seemed to be no serious damage. A slight contusion, a small concussion that should be very minor. Of course until the pilot woke up. Jed considered that nothing was certain until then...

On cue the pilot stirred. Eyes opened. Jedikiah asked him a few questions to check his orientation. The pilot knew who he was. Not where. After explaining that he had been in a hard landing and knocked unconscious he left him with the tech. The pilot would probably have to have it repeated a few times. He would be alright.

Jedikiah moved to observe Gwendola finish up with patient King.

Gwen Eiber

October 30, 2019, 12:24:56 PM #11 Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:51:48 AM by Lomari

She set the misshapen slug in the tray and set the forceps next to it. "I certainly don't mean to tell you your business Mr. King, but perhaps you should find a less dangerous line of work? Or you and your friends should perhaps invest in a doctor to follow you around to put you all back together again."  Her fingertips, blue coated by the gloves, trailed lightly over the numerous scars that covered his chest.  Had he been properly sedated, as he should have been, he wouldn't have felt her at all.  Instead, the local agent she had used, toradol - a non-narcotic per his request, actually made him even more sensitive to the delicate touch while masking the pain of the deeper tissue damage. As if realizing she wasn't being very professional she practically jerked her hand away, thankful for the surgical mask that covered her now flaming cheeks. She turned back to her procedure tray, carefully getting the sutures. It wouldn't take much to stitch him back up, which just reminded her of the fellow she'd lined out earlier.

She frowned a little as she carefully began the stitches, chewing lightly on her full bottom lip.  He shouldn't have pushed her.  He really shouldn't have. Stitch, stitch, stitch.  He was rude. Stitch, stitch. And mean. Stitch, stitch, stitch.  And had horrible hair. Stitch, stitch. And....she shouldn't have let him get her goat, daddy would not have approved of that behavior and her mama would have washed her mouth out with soap for being so unladylike. He just got her dander up calling her "Stitches" like that. She finished her stitches and tied off, looking at her work before nodding.  That at least she was pleased with.  "I do have a favor to ask if I might, Mr. King.  The gentleman that was here earlier?  The one you said was having a rough couple days.  Do you have any idea where I might be able to find him at?  Where he might have gone? I should give him an update on Miss Cherry and..." she paused, then finished in a rush, "And I owe him an apology. Very unprofessional of me to get so riled up."  She placed a dressing over the stitches and lowered her mask to reveal that 100 watt smile.  "On the plus side, you are all finished and should heal up just fine.  Nothing for me to get riled over there so long as you don't overexert yourself and tear your stitches. Would you like to go see your lady friend now?"

Charity

November 04, 2019, 11:26:33 AM #12 Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:51:16 AM by Lomari
Red. Everything in her world was red. Firelight roared uncontrollably at the edges of her vision, casting its furious glow upon all she could see before her. Rubies shimmered dangerously in the walls, grew heavy on the branches of trees until they fell like apples to rot in the crimson leaves peppering the dying grass. Charity held out a hand to catch the fruit on its way down, her body almost crumpling beneath the weight of it. As it touched her flesh, the skin melted and putrefied, seeping into her pores and making its way up her veins like red embroidery floss.

"I found you..."

Red droplets ran over her vision, dripped down her face and filled her palms. Something clasped around her upper arm, yanking her down into the grass and mud and decay. Its nails dug into her flesh, ripping skin and muscle, spilling her vitality over the porcelain of her skin. She sank deeper into the nothingness, wading in a thick red liquid that poured into her lungs and eyes and mouth. Her lips parted to scream as red-hot fire burned out from within the gaping hole in her arm. 

Charity jerked awake with a gasp that grated against her throat and pulled at her rib cage. Her hands reached up in a desperate attempt to push away what she thought was clawing itself deeper into her arm. When her fingers grabbed at nothing, the woman paused and blinked rapidly, her hand frozen in place. Her dark gaze slid over the surrounding medical equipment and brows furrowed in confused thought. Slowly, her fingertips settled down onto the bandage over her upper arm, the hint of a white hospital gown peeking out from the blanket resting over her form. Where was she? Her attention snapped down to the IV slid into the crook of her elbow, a red liquid moving from a sterile container, down a tube, and into her body. She froze in place, mild terror crossing over her features at the sudden and irrational fear that her dream was in fact reality.

"Amy? King?" she called out tentatively, as though afraid someone else might hear her and respond, and in doing so, confirm her fears.
Dialogue Color: AntiqueWhite

Jedikiah Rembo

November 04, 2019, 02:17:28 PM #13 Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:47:04 PM by Lomari

The woman that Gwendola had been treating work with a start. No small wonder from the cause of their injuries. Curiosity being a beloved human trait Jedikiah could it help but wonder at the amazing tail behind those that had arrived with blood and bullets inside them.

"I'll check on her." he said to Mr. King and Gwendolal. The man King had arrived with her, so there could quickly be an escalation of getting to each other. If at all possible to get the stitching and mending to a good point first would be all the better for both patients.

Stepping softly and with enough speed but without rushing to woman Jedikiah stood next to Charity.

"Amy? King?" she called out quiet. Calling for them, yet not to loud as to not alarm someone? 

Jedikiah carefully examined her lines to ensure all was in order. "You are in the medical ward of Iscariot Station Miss. Mister King is close by and doing very well. Relax a moment and he'll come to sit next to you."

Gwen Eiber

November 04, 2019, 05:23:45 PM #14 Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:47:15 PM by Lomari

She had just finished bandaging up Mr. King when the med tech tapped on the window, indicating that Charity was awake. She helped King from the table and allowed him to lean on her if he needed as she escorted him into the room to see her.  She gave the young woman a friendly smile and moved to check her arm.  "Hello Miss Cherry.  My name is Gwendola and this is my friend Jedikiah.  We are taking care of you and your friend.  You are on the Iscariot Spacestation.  You and Mr. King here were shot, but we've patched you up good as new.  You lost a lot of blood though so you need to stay still and rest.  I'll leave you two to catch up."  She moved a chair for King to sit in over by the bedside and motioned for Jedikiah to follow her.

She closed the door after them to let them have some privacy to catch up.  She didn't pull the blind of the window  though. She wanted to make sure that Charity didn't get worked up and pull out her IV or anything like that. Or for her to try to get up and Mr. King to tear his stitches trying to stop her.

"Well Uncle Jed, his surgery went well.  I think I'll be able to head home and leave them under the care of my techs soon.  I'd love to take you to dinner and catch up unless you have other plans?  If you wouldn't mind waiting just a moment for me to freshen up, that is?" She gave him another warm smile, looking very much like the little girl her remembered.

Jedikiah Rembo

November 05, 2019, 07:43:14 AM #15 Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:48:48 PM by Lomari

"Of course Miss, I'll just be down the stairs with my bags." He left her and was happy to find his belongings watched over by some member of the medical crew. The assistant promised to get the bags to his room, the location of which, along with his Dojo was explained to him. The assistant departed and Jedikiah found a nearby map of the station in which he was able to get a sense of the geography.

When Gwendola appeared he would accompany her to dinner.

Akhsar King

November 05, 2019, 06:02:21 PM #16 Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:49:25 PM by Lomari

The slug dropped into the tray with a clink. "I certainly don't mean to tell you your business Mr. King, but perhaps you should find a less dangerous line of work? Or you and your friends should perhaps invest in a doctor to follow you around to put you all back together again." King chuckled. "Soldiers aren't trained to retire, Doc. Though you do have a point, hiring a Doc to patch us up might be a good idea. If there even is an Us now." He wondered how many of the crew would actually stick around after losing the ship. Not to mention what happened on Bellerophon.

Gwen trailed her gloved fingers lightly over the scars on his chest. Something in the local must have been messing with his sense of touch, because while the feeling of her digging around inside his shoulder had been appropriately dulled, the feeling of her finger tips on his skin was oddly enhanced. It wasn't uncomfortable, just... odd.

After a moment she quickly withdrew her hand, as if realizing she wasn't being very professional. King didn't comment or bring attention to it. He didn't mind. He was proud of the scars, and of the physical shape he was in.

Gewn started stitching him up, a process that didn't take very long. Once she was done she spoke again. "I do have a favor to ask if I might, Mr. King.  The gentleman that was here earlier?  The one you said was having a rough couple days.  Do you have any idea where I might be able to find him at?  Where he might have gone? I should give him an update on Miss Cherry and..." she paused, then finished in a rush, "And I owe him an apology. Very unprofessional of me to get so riled up." King raised an eyebrow at her, and chuckled again. "He's got a knack for pushing peoples buttons. His name is Ru... Amorru." He spoke the mans full first name carefully, almost as if it was odd for him to say the whole thing. "Honestly, I've only known him a short time, but if I had to guess I'd say he set a course for alcohol. Probably 4 or 5 sheets to the wind by now. Might wanna wait a bit for your apology. Or not, I'm not your boss." He said with a grin.

Gwen finished applying a dressing over the freshly stitched wound, and lowered her mask to reveal a smile of her own. "On the plus side, you are all finished and should heal up just fine.  Nothing for me to get riled over there so long as you don't overexert yourself and tear your stitches. Would you like to go see your lady friend now?" King nodded, flexing his shoulder slightly to get a feel for Gwens work. "Yeah, that would be-" Just then an attendant knocked on the window, and King was briefly worried that something was wrong, but apparently Charity was awake.

Jed rushed out ahead of them to check on her, Gwen and King following right behind. King didn't take the offered support, his walking was fine. As he entered, Jedikiah had just finished reassuring Charity, and Gwen now did the same. King just smiled warmly at Charity, and took the seat offered by Gwen. "Hey, Cherry." He said.

Charity

November 05, 2019, 09:09:11 PM #17 Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:59:19 AM by Lomari

An unfamiliar male entered the room and she took a moment to stare at the attendant at the room's window and then at the stranger again. Her lips pursed for a moment, cherry red hidden for half a second before Charity sighed and allowed her shoulders to relax. Surely this ruse would have been far too complex and simple for him to carry out, and she did remember something happening back at the wedding...Then, the stranger spoke.

"You are in the medical ward of Iscariot Station Miss. Mister King is close by and doing very well. Relax a moment and he'll come to sit next to you," he informed her. She opened her mouth and inhaled, ready to speak, but paused when a woman and King entered her area. "Hello Miss Cherry.  My name is Gwendola and this is my friend Jedikiah. " Charity tensed and almost moved to pull away from the attention given her arm, the movement amounting to nothing more than a strained lean in the opposite direction. Her perfectly manicured brows furrowed and she glanced hesitantly between the doctor woman and King, shoulders tense once more. "We are taking care of you and your friend.  You are on the Iscariot Space station.  You and Mr. King here were shot, but we've patched you up good as new.  You lost a lot of blood though so you need to stay still and rest.  I'll leave you two to catch up."

Her suspicious frown turned into a doubtful raising of her brow. She'd been awake for all of two minutes and had both of these doctor types tell her just about the same information. She was on Iscariot station. King is fine. A soft noise of disapproved acknowledgment slipped past her lips. Then, before she could respond to the first stranger, he turned and left the room. Charity's nose scrunched slightly and she turned her head to stare first at King, and then Gwen. "I'm s-" her words were cut off by a cough and she settled the back of an ivory hand against her lips to muffle the sound. After a second to compose herself, she tried again. "I'm sorry, but was he a patient?" she asked, pointing a glimmering finger toward the man who'd just exited. Surely, allowing a dementia patient to wander into other patient's rooms was...somehow irresponsible. She eyed the doctor skeptically.

"Hey, Cherry," King greeted, successfully pulling her attention off the strange medic and her wayward patient. She smiled in his direction, the expression a beam of warm sunlight leveled entirely upon her companion and protector, her features smooth and serene now that something familiar was returned to her. "Likely not the most eventful wedding you've ever been to, I'd wager," she joked in a soft voice, laughter glimmering in her eyes. The debutante allowed herself a moment of mirth before she sobered with a sigh. "Is everyone else on this station as well?" she asked, glancing down at his shoulder and wincing a little in sympathy pain. 
Dialogue Color: AntiqueWhite

Gwen Eiber

November 06, 2019, 10:38:41 AM #18 Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:59:30 AM by Lomari

She watched the two of them through the window for a moment. It seemed she had done her job well enough, the couple patched up and reunited.  She smiled somewhat wanly, giving her braid a sharp tug. They were reunited and settled, that was for sure.  She turned, smile in place for Jedikiah. "If you don't mind making sure everything is okay for a moment, I'll freshen up and then we'll get some dinner.  I'll only be a moment or two." She slipped up the back stairs to the small room she used above the medbay.  It wasn't much, but it was convenient and private.

She really wasn't gone long.  When she came back down the stairs she was pink-cheeked from washing up a little, no make-up adorning her freckle dusted cheeks.  Her braid had been tightened a little, hanging in a neat and tidy plait thick as a man's wrist past her narrow waist.  Her outfit was plain and practical, the needlework a sign it had been hand sown.  Long sleeved, high collared, the skirt full with a hint at a bustle, buttoned boots peeking out of the hem.  The colors were muted and designed for practicality, not to draw attention to the girl, no, young woman who wore them.

She paused for just one more moment to make sure her patients were doing okay and to give instructions to the techs on duty.  They would page her if she was needed again.  The pilot would be kept overnight for observation due to his concussion but otherwise should be fine to discharge in the morning.  Cherry would need to stay to receive at least one more unit of blood. Mr. King had no pressing medical reason to stay, but she instructed the techs to bring a second bed into Charity's room if he wished to stay with her. She'd feel better if he remained under observation for a while as well but she couldn't force him to stay.

Patients attended to she turned to her family friend once more. The smile that greeted Jedikiah was genuine and she seemed truly happy as she linked her arm though one of his.  Chattering away again a mile a minute.  Made it easier to remember the little girl who followed him around and asked him endless questions.  "I think we can leave them here and go grab a bite to eat? Mama and Daddy never did hold much with drinking spirits, but it's been a long day and I reckon seeing old friends who are practically family allow for some exceptions to be made.  You'll have to catch me up on everything?  Where did you leave Auntie?  I can't wait to see her.  I wanted to get her recipe for that boiled white icing a while back but had no idea where to send a wave to, and here you are. I used to dream about that icing. Mama never could make it right.  How about that? Here you are and me wanting the recipe."  She looked up at him with those big blue eyes, smile lighting her face. "It's so good to see you. Are you visiting long?" She paused for a breath, finally letting him get a word in.

Jedikiah Rembo

Jedikiah laughed pleasantly at the still youthful exuberance of Gwendola Eiber.
"Dinner sounds wonderful. I've sent my things to," He looked at his housing voucher and number, "wherever this is. I'll catch up to them later, but I would like to stop by my, place of business."

He informed her of the Dojo and its impending opening. Then he waited until they stepped off the transit tube and gently took her arm and pulled her aside. As for Aunt Marlena, she was on the Independent side of the lines when the war started. The last I heard she had been near a major battle. After that nothing." Jedikiah took her gently by the shoulders. "At this point its clear that she didn't make it through. She was a front line medic, " Jedikiah remembered adding the Eiber's names to the Missing in Action notifications, but he also knew many did not get through, or were ever sent. Or perhaps they did not tell Gwendola.

His slight smile and pride at her sacrifice and having loved, and still loved her was obvious. But the grieving for him was an old scar, even though the final closure had never come. And he knew it never would.

But for the admiring little girl it was now a fresh death. How many times had this scene been played out across the verse in the last years.

Jedikiah looked her in the eye showing her only an empathy for any reaction.