S1E0 - Preparations To Launch

Started by Desertpuma, June 19, 2018, 10:32:17 PM

Riggs

When Karyn moved off into the ship Damien stepped up not quite sure how to go about a proper greeting. Do you go with the old friend approach or the more formal esteemed member of the Companion Guild, then there was the whole she's Captain protocol. Lucky for Damien Elena spoke first...

Quote from: Elena"I am more than thankful you decided to accept this position," she told him honestly. "I assume you received the packet I sent you?" she asked, referring to the ship's documentation and crew manifest.

Damien flashed a wide smile as he reached out his hand. "Thanks for the opportunity Captain" He offered a quick wink. "....And yes I have studied the manifest, your choice of XO should prove interesting." He looked past her into the ship followed by a swift scan of the exterior from their vantage point. "She is one beauty of a ship, Congrats Elena....truly." He paused as the ground crew moved the containers of beef past them. "We'll have to catch up later in private when we are both free, need to see that these are properly stored.....looking forward to preparing your first formal Captain's Dinner."

' H o p e ... I s   N o t   A   C o u r s e   O f   A c t i o n ! '

Elena

"...And yes I have studied the manifest, your choice of XO should prove interesting..." he remarked.

Quite against her wishes, her smile broadened and the barest hint of color blossomed across her porcelain cheeks, "I have high hopes for our XO. He's qualified and I'm hoping our differing opinions will lead to a more...fair command," she murmured, taking her hand back and clearing her throat, her shoulders straightening as she stepped out of his way.

"Looking forward to preparing your first formal Captain's Dinner," Damien said.

While her features slipped back into utter professionalism, her smile and the glimmer in her eyes was ever present. "I'm looking forward to it as well," she assured him, gesturing with her hand for him to enter the ship. "Please let me know if you need help finding anything. You have your room to yourself, for now, until we find you an acceptable assistant," Elena added.

The clanging of boots on metal drew her attention back to the ramp and she shot Damien one more gentle smile before turning to greet their next crew member. "Ah, Mr. Graves," she crooned happily, once more opening her arms in greeting to the man, Brenna's letter still held gently in her right hand. "A pleasure to see you again, thank you for accepting my invitation," she greeted warmly and ever so politely. Her history with Maxell was a pleasant and familiar one and she was happy to see him again. Despite his gruff exterior, he was quite the learned individual.

Another breeze moved past them to fill the cargo hold with fresh air, tendrils of the gentle wind coiling its way through the ship's corridors and offering the crew its crisp sense of peace. She hoped the crew was getting along in there while she was out of sight.

Karyn Wychovski

Karyn waited while the others finished their conversation, and then the man, the XO and lead pilot, introduced himself.

"Karyn... Wychovski? I'm Benjamin Street, XO and The Allures other pilot. If you'll follow me I'll show you the bridge."

She smiled in response and followed him toward the bridge. She watched his movements, judging his reaction times and ease of movement. Such would be important in cases of emergencies. Her own expertise of flying both small, fast boats as well as the heavier pursuit cruisers, and her time in security, boarding actions and judging a suspect's intentions, were things that ran automatic programs each time she met someone new, who would be associated with her functions. It was best to know as much about the other crew as she could gather.

"Had much background with these mid bulks? Or experience in smaller craft? Just asking, as maybe I'd be good as shuttle pilot with my small craft background."

Benjamin Street

Ben could feel Karyn's eyes on him as they walked, though he wasn't sure if her interest was professional or more akin to Jesse's.

Quote"Had much background with these mid bulks? Or experience in smaller craft? Just asking, as maybe I'd be good as shuttle pilot with my small craft background."

Ben chuckled. "I've flown just about every civilian weight class there is. Except for the really big stuff like cruise liners and such." He'd always kind of wanted to fly a super heavy ship like a cruise liner, or maybe a dreadnought or a super carrier, just to see what he could do with it... but if he was being totally honest the lack of anything approaching actual maneuverability would probably dampen the experience for him.

He continued as they walked. "I started out flying gunships in the war, Independents side. They pulled me out of there pretty quick though, didn't want someone with my "talents" going up against Alliance birds in a dogfight, so I spent the rest of the war flying drop ships. I guess you could say small craft are my specialty as well, but I've got more than enough experience to take our dear Allure dancing." He figured he should get the matter his qualifications, and of his wartime allegiance out of the way now. "I imagine you and I will take a pretty even split of the work. We'll have a good bit of downtime though. Outside of take off, landing, and the occasional shuttle trip, the most arduous thing we should have to do is lay in a course and set her at cruising speed."

It was a pretty short walk to the bridge. Forward from Karyn and Jesse's room past the workshop, cutting to the starboard side of the ship through the auxiliary cargo area, and forward again to the bridge door next to the conference room. When they came to the door he gave Karyn the bridge codes, punched them in, and opened the door. Then he turned to Karyn and gave her a smile. "So, any other questions so far?"

Maxell Graves

July 01, 2018, 11:52:00 AM #24 Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:36:10 PM by Maxell Graves
Maxell ran a hand over his stubbly cranium as the breeze rolled into the cargo hold. He smiled for the first time since looking off his balcony to enjoy a sunrise with his breakfast of black coffee and hard boiled eggs. "My dear lady Elena. It's such a genuine pleasure to renew our acquaintance. I found the invitation to join your crew quite a relief. Not that I'd given much consideration to dealing in lead again, but I've grown quite restless these past few months on Londinium. Company is abundant, but incredibly dull by comparison. In fact, I find most people in general pale in comparison to your glimmering inner light."

Max averted his eyes, as if suddenly becoming self-conscious in the Companion's presence. Behavior most unbecoming of an officer. Were I still an officer. Maxell's hazel eyes returned to meet Elena's as he lowered his voice. "Forgive me for being forward, but you look quite pleasant as always." Maxell gestured behind him toward the cart filled with hard, heavy cases protecting the priceless artifacts within. The hardened purple belly glanced back before he turned to scowl deeply at the hired laborer, slouching as he was against one of the cases taller than himself. "Hey! What did I tell you about touching my stuff? Your job is to haul that cart, and that's it! Now stand at attention! The Captain's on deck!"

The look of frustration on his face as Maxell spoke retreated quickly, overrun by an earnest, somewhat apologetic smile. "Forgive me, please. Have you given any consideration to where we might place the collection?" Max offered a slight nod, rocking back and forth on his heels in anticipation of Elena inquiring about his most recent acquisition.
The bugle sounds - the charge begins, But on this battlefield no one wins
The smell of acrid smoke and horse's breath, As I plunge on into certain death

Iron Maiden, "The Trooper"

Brenna Casey

** Returning from Allure Aside S1E0: Bleeding Hearts & Paper Cranes **

Having agreed that another cup of coffee would be a good idea, at least for herself, Brenna had paused long enough to pull on socks and her boots before stepping out of her room, empty cup in hand. There was some small mercy in the fact that Ben and the new crew member had not remained nearby in the hall. Glancing to Jesse as the young woman joined her in the corridor, Brenna gave a sigh and looked towards the bridge. "At some point, I should apologize to our XO and new crew for my behavior. Not exactly my best moment."

For now, she opted to turn away from the bridge towards the galley in the opposite direction. 'Coffee first... and maybe a peace offering of a refill in a bit,' she thought to herself as she started to move down the corridor at an easy pace. Idly, she wondered if any more of the new crew had made it aboard yet. Today was the day most were due to arrive and already, she'd seemed to have lost her composure in the most terrible way. A tiny voice in the back of her mind seemed to insist the whole idea of going up in a ship again was the worst thing she could be doing. She'd made a promise to Elena that she would try. Three days really didn't count as a good try in Brenna's mind.

"Fair warning, between you and me, I haven't been on a ship since the war. This is probably going to be a little bit of a rough transition for me." The confession was unprompted, but Brenna felt the need to tell someone. "Bear with me. I promise it's not really anything you or anyone else has done. It's more that it brings back some difficult memories." As they continued to walk, Brenna seemed to focus again on the empty cup in hand. In some ways, she wished she could change how she was simply by shutting the memories out. She'd tried, and had only ended up not sleeping for days at a time.

Elena

"My dear lady Elena. It's such a genuine pleasure to renew our acquaintance...Company is abundant, but incredibly dull by comparison. In fact, I find most people in general pale in comparison to your glimmering inner light."

Elena's eyes glimmered with the full warmth of her smile and she set a gentle hand atop his upper arm, "I cannot express how pleased I am to see you, as well," she returned, removing her hand and once more crossing her wrists in front of her lap. "It's been some time," she added, speaking to him like an old friend. Despite what others might've thought upon first coming into contact with the rather intimidating Maxell, he was a man of culture and intelligence and Elena had very much enjoyed his company.

"Forgive me for being forward, but you look quite pleasant as always."

One hand lifted to rest softly over her heart, the shimmering fabric of her sari fluttering with the movement. "You flatter me," she murmured, laughing gently and infinitely pleased with the compliment. Her laughter itself was warm and genuine, not a hint of rebuke or a mocking tone anywhere to be found in the dulcet melody.

"Hey! What did I tell you about touching my stuff? Your job is to haul that cart, and that's it! Now stand at attention! The Captain's on deck!"

Her azure gaze flickered toward the poor boy dealing with his things and she couldn't help but smile at him in apology, one hand lifting to wave him closer with Maxell's things. She figured if the poor thing was busy working as he was meant to, there would be less time for him to loiter or grow curious, firther drawing the wrath of Mr. Graves.

"Forgive me, please. Have you given any consideration to where we might place the collection?"

"Why, yes," she informed him, stepping aside to let him and the boy into the cargo bay with his collection. She gestured further in and smiled winningly at them both, "The aft cargo bay has been fitted with storage for the gambling tables but I've made the executive decision to divide the smaller bay in two," she began, holding one hand up ever so slightly, "One side for the tables," she began, lifting her other hand, "The other for your esteemed collection. This way it will be safe from any passengers and," her relaxed hand twisted a little, fingers curling in until only her index finger was held up, "...allows you to set up your artifacts in whatever way you find most appealing," she assured him with another soft smile.

"I am most eager to see what you've brought with you, I hope you'll feel at ease allowing me a peek" she told him honestly, moving to stand beside him, her hands settled around his upper arm, "Any new, dashing adventures or acquisitions?" she asked, the look in her eyes mischievous and wildly interested.

Jesse Walker

Quote"At some point, I should apologize to our XO and new crew for my behavior. Not exactly my best moment."

Jesse took a look at Brenna, bewildered by her response. "You're kidding right? You have nothing to apologize for.  I just dug through your past, came on to this ship uninvited , which I KNOW, the captain knows....I yelled how diseased I am in the corridor.  Youhave nothing to apologize for. I'm the diseased pigu with boundary issues. Please. Do not. Apologize to anyone...and if they ask you to.... I'll go and dig through THEIR lives and make them see how it feels." She grinned at the doctor, though realizing she still owed her XO an apology, it's easy when they're mad. Not so much when they're disappointed.

Quote"Fair warning, between you and me, I haven't been on a ship since the war. This is probably going to be a little bit of a rough transition for me." The confession was unprompted, but Brenna felt the need to tell someone. "Bear with me. I promise it's not really anything you or anyone else has done. It's more that it brings back some difficult memories."

The hacker was surprised that the doctor chose to open up to her after everything that just happened, but she'd keep the woman's secrets safe. After all...she was electing not to through Jesse off the boat, at least not yet. Maybe she was saving that for the captain, she certainly hoped not. It had been a short time but Jesse had grown accustomed to the people, especially the doctor.  Plus she'd miss the sight of that XO.

"I get it doc, feel free to let me know if you need to scream into a pillow, at a person, drink the memories away....or deal with it in a healthy manner and just talk like a normal person.  Most would recommend the last option, I personally never deal with my trauma  that way though." She grinned, attempting to lighten the situation. Perhaps they'd keep her if they thought she was funny....like a pet.

They came upon the kitchen and Jesse went for the coffee like a rabid animal, she never did function well without it.  Jesse held out the pot offering to fill it up Brenna's cup. "In all seriousness though, I am truly sorry and if you need someone to talk to...I'm also good at listening, not just digging through people's personal information."

Desertpuma

A silk suited man with a bald head departed a cab in front of the docking bay for The Allure. As he approached the cargo bay entrance, he removed a pair of tinted lenses from the bridge of his nose once he was out of the glare of the White Dragon Sun. Exquisitely tailored in black and wearing matching shoes, he set down the briefcase next to him on the ground when he arrived in front of Elena with a short bow. "Miss Marseille, the Guild has sent me to assure all kitchenware is up to specifications before your liftoff. My name is Mr. Underwood and I am to assist for the next day. Has your chef who was cleared arrived already? Or shall I get started on my own?"

Karyn Wychovski

July 02, 2018, 08:17:30 PM #29 Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:24:31 PM by Karyn Wychovski
Quote"I imagine you and I will take a pretty even split of the work. We'll have a good bit of downtime though. Outside of take off, landing, and the occasional shuttle trip, the most arduous thing we should have to do is lay in a course and set her at cruising speed."

Karyn smiled at the generousity in his statement. Her defenses went up briefly at the declaration of ‘independant’ but she let it slide off her like butter off hot toast.

“Well, that could certainly be the case in general. Hot shotting a shuttle... you know, in cases where getting off planet in a hurry? Or getting a team in on a hot DZ... I’ve done those many times in my career just so you know.”

Dash Winters

What's going on over there?

Dash didn't need rhyme or reason. He just needed a job. Fresh off his last gig scrubbing dishes for passage, he had made it from his home on Paquin to Avalon Harbour completely by chance. That put him in the docks, homeless and unemployed again. But that was an entirely exciting opportunity to Dash. Where next and what next? The Allure had a... well its name wasn't inappropriate. It stood out as a quality ship, reminiscent of diplomatic vessels he had interacted with in the past. More than that though, there was a buzz about it. People arrived one after the other and boarded. Something was going on. It was enough to entice him over.

Carrying no bags, instead having the essentials in his pockets and tucked into his belt, Dash approached with purpose. He was wearing jeans and t-shirt, but the gray blazer he had almost made him look like he might take something seriously. He marched up on entrance ramp in a very nonchalant manner. One might mistake him for belonging aboard, if that one wasn't the captain solely responsible for the hiring of staff. Standing in the center of the cargo bay, he took in the interior with a grin on his face. His eyes scanned the circumference before he turned and settled his gaze on Elena and company.

"Hey." He gave a quick wave with his hand, then turned his expression from care free and happy to inquisitive. "Where do you think the captain would be right now?" He went for a pretence of meaning to be here. "I'm supposed to talk to him." There was a beat from those present, something that told him he'd slipped up. "Or her. Could be a her." Dash was still oblivious however to just whom he was in the presence of.

Elena

"Miss Marseille, the Guild has sent me to assure all kitchenware is up to specifications before your liftoff. My name is Mr. Underwood and I am to assist for the next day. Has your chef who was cleared arrived already? Or shall I get started on my own?" The Guild's man asked.

Elena's attention was pulled away from the dashing Maxell for a moment and her hand slid away from his arm so she could turn and face the new arrival. She did, however, offer Max a wink to indicate she'd come looking for him after she was finished up here. Crystalline gaze turned back to the man sent by the Guild and she gestured deeper into the ship, "Very happy to have you here, Mr. Underwood. Mr. Riggs has already headed back, I'm sure he would be absolutely thrilled for your assistance in the kitchen," she told him warmly before returning her hands to the front of her lap, still holding onto Brenna's letter.

Glancing down at it, she smiled and held it out to Mr. Underwood, "On your way in, if you see our Doctor, would you be so kind as to hand this to her?" she asked. If the Guild had hired him on then he'd likely at least seen some of the crew manifest, and even if he didn't, she was sure he'd be able to figure out which was the doctor. The Guid didn't hire dummies.

With another smile, she left him to his business, another newcomer pulling her attention. One she did not recognize. A perfectly manicured brow arched upward in interest and mild curiosity at both his appearance and the easy way in which he carried himself. Were she not the Captain, she probably would have been fooled into thinking he belonged here, which only made him all the more interesting in her eyes. The breeze rustled in to toy with her long cream skirt, her hand idly running over the embroidery at the hem of her cropped top.

"Hey. Where do you think the captain would be right now? I'm supposed to talk to him. Or her. Could be a her," Dash inquired.

With a gentle clearing of her throat, Elena moved to the controls near the cargo bay door and gently set her index finger atop the comms button, intending to page her XO. Mischief lit up her eyes and she smiled welcomingly at the stranger before speaking, her voice spilling softly out of the speakers in the ship itself for all inside to hear, tone calm albeit the smile in her voice was hard to conceal:

"Mister Street," she began, gentle laughter playing in the tone of her voice. "Would you come to the cargo bay to meet with a new recruit? I believe you're expecting him," she requested, all the while keeping her vividly blue gaze locked upon Dash with no attempt to hide her amusement. She hadn't exactly said Mr. Street was the Captain but she hadn't said he wasn't either. Still, she figured it might be best to have the ship's XO here with her when dealing with someone uninvited who might or might not have been looking for a job.

Benjamin Street

July 03, 2018, 09:52:03 PM #32 Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:52:27 PM by Benjamin Street
Ben chuckled. "Yes, I've read the file the Guild has on you. An impressive resume indeed. Luckily there shouldn't be too many hot drop zones, this being a Companion and House vessel. Slow and smooth will be the name of the game. I'm told high rollers don't like evasive maneuvering. Granted hot DZs were definitely always interesting, however I personally never actually Liked getting shot at." He finished with a wink.

He was about to turn and head into the cockpit when Elena's voice suddenly echoed over the ships PA system.

Quote"Mister Street, would you come to the cargo bay to meet with a new recruit? I believe you're expecting him,"

Ben blinked, and looked back at Karyn, confusion playing across his face. "Well, I don't actually know who she's talking about. I'm not expecting anyone personally... I should probably go see whats up." He said, a little sheepishly. "Right, well, feel free to familiarize yourself with the bridge. Or there's hot coffee in the kitchen, made it myself not 20 minutes ago." He took a couple steps aft. "Sorry I couldn't give you the full tour. Still getting use to this XO business." He said apologetically.

He hurried back down through auxiliary storage and back into the crew section. He paused by Brenna's now open door, noticed her rooms vacancy, and continued on to the crew lounge. Seeing no one in the lounge he spun to his right and headed down the stairs, through the passenger deck, and down to the cargo bay.

Right away he saw Damien Rigs, the ships chef. As he paused long enough to offer the man a handshake. "Mr. Rigs! Heard a lot about you. Well, read a lot, and heard a little from Miss Marseille. Looking forward to meeting you when I'm not urgently needed over there." He said apologetically, wearing his lopsided grin.

He closed the rest of the distance to Elena with a few long strides. She currently had her arm through the arm of one Maxell Graves, ship security was to be his job, as well as showing off some of his collection of rare artifacts. Standing close to them was another man who Ben didn't recognize. He was dressed in jeans, t-shirt, and a gray blazer. He didn't look like dock staff either. Ben gave the man a curious glance before turning to Elena. He gave a mock half bow, which wasn't actually that far off from the formal ones he'd given Elena at his interview. "You rang?"

Dash Winters

Dash settled a little, his posture dropping as the call for a ruse was rendered unnecessary. "That works too." It was all he needed. Thirty seconds with the captain to make his case. Who couldn't use an extra hand out in the black?

Now playing a waiting game for the man he thought to be captain, Dash took in the scenery a little more. The design was notably elegant and of a higher class than most, and that extended to crew. Before him was a well groomed woman he made him feel like he'd missed the dress code memo. She was perfectly presented, must have taken the entire day before getting ready for this one. He looked down for a moment a pawed at his top, trying to remember if he'd soiled this one with some sort of food stain. Toward his hip there was an oil stain, which convinced him to tug on his jacket in an effort to cover it.

"They've fitted her up nice," he commented, referencing the scene. "What have they got planned here? Some kind of ball?"

Dash wasn't left waiting too much longer before they joined by Mister Street. He assumed. Looking at Elena, he gave a quick head nod toward the gentleman and an expression that conveyed 'that him?'

"Mister Street." He approached enthusiastically with an outstretched hand. "Why I've just been hearing so much about you and this ship of yours, the dock workers were talking up a storm about it." Dash didn't know that to be true, but who was to say that hey weren't. "Me, I'm looking to venture out. Spent a long time dirtside and I'm just itching to stretch my space legs." Dash kept a constant rhythm with his speech, making sure there was no gap for interruption so that he could finish his pitch. "Now I know a smart guy like yourself has outsourced and filled up most essential positions on board, but I'm not adverse to starting at the bottom. I just ask for a bunk and enough money to get a square meal everyday and I'm happy to scrub floors, carry bags... blow on the wet laundry til it drys, basically I'm not one to shy away from hard work and I can promise you'd never hear a bad word about me on duty. Besides all that you can feel free to toss me off the deck next planet you hit if you're not happy, and I only propose that because I'm confident it won't happen. So if you happen to have any kind of vacancy on board I can save you the trouble of advertising because your guy is here." He grinned and patted Benjamin on the shoulder. "What do ya say captain?"

Karyn Wychovski

July 04, 2018, 09:31:58 AM #34 Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:33:30 AM by Karyn Wychovski
Quote"Well, I don't actually know who she's talking about. I'm not expecting anyone personally... I should probably go see whats up.

Karyn watched Ben turn to leave when she reached out to touch his shoulder.

"I'm qualified as security as well, shall I join you?"t

Brenna Casey

July 04, 2018, 12:29:24 PM #35 Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:49:40 PM by Brenna Casey
Quote from: Jesse Walker on July 01, 2018, 03:12:48 PM
"In all seriousness though, I am truly sorry and if you need someone to talk to...I'm also good at listening, not just digging through people's personal information."

Brenna let Jesse refill her cup with coffee, offering the girl one of her warmer smiles at the offer to listen. Shaking her head more at herself than Jesse, she was finding herself amazed at how easily she was warming up to Jesse. It was akin to how she'd warmed up almost immediately to Elena. Momentarily, she felt a tiny wave of guilt keeping Jesse's secret from her friend. It was going to prove highly awkward if the secret ever came out. As she took a sip of her refilled coffee, the comm above them came to life with Elena's voice.

Quote from: Elena on July 03, 2018, 09:49:35 AM
"Mister Street, would you come to the cargo bay to meet with a new recruit? I believe you're expecting him,"

With brow furrowed, Brenna went through the list of crew she'd known about before hand, but she couldn't recall if any had been lined up specifically by Ben. And the way the message was worded, coupled with what sounded to Brenna like mischief in Elena's voice, it seemed that there was something rather interesting going on down on the lower deck. "Uh oh... I think Elena might be up to something down there. Shall we go and be nosy? Besides, I could probably stand to grab a breath of fresh air. I've been keeping myself on board since I got here and I might as well take the opportunity to get out while we're not working. Care to join me?"

Maxell Graves

July 04, 2018, 03:46:07 PM #36 Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:53:51 PM by Maxell Graves
Standing with Elena's arm in his in a gesture which showed him far too much courtesy and kindness, a disapproving growl rumbled from Maxell's throat as he looked Dash over. Leaning over to speak in a low tone to the lady of the ship, Maxell made a private inquiry. "Permission to scalp this wormy-looking cur, Ma'am? I believe the sanitation crew could do with an extra mop."

Shushed politely as the Captain appeared to have the matter at hand, Maxell merely nodded in compliance as Elena paged a "Mister Street" to the cargo hold. Maxell struggled to maintain composure, not wanting to stain the Allure's maiden voyage under Elena's command by eating the runt for lunch.

Maxell's scowl only deepened as he witnessed this Street character's smart-ass bow. Though ignorant of Elena's relations with any of the other crew members, and quite disinterested in earnest, she was an accomplished and cultured woman and as the ship's commanding officer deserved the utmost respect of anyone and everyone aboard. Were one of his own subordinates to have greeted him in such a flippant manner, Maxell would have them on work detail indefinitely. Turning red beneath his loose black collar, Maxell grit his teeth to keep himself from stepping beyond his bounds. When Street turned to exchange discourse with this Winters character, whatever his purpose in life might be, Graves leaned in to address Elena privately once more. "Should you require that I begin my contractual duties currently, Ma'am, I assure you I am most prepared to shoot trouble on your word." Graves cleared his throat, the red rising full to his cheeks.

"Ahem. If it pleases the Captain, of course."
The bugle sounds - the charge begins, But on this battlefield no one wins
The smell of acrid smoke and horse's breath, As I plunge on into certain death

Iron Maiden, "The Trooper"

Riggs

July 04, 2018, 06:22:03 PM #37 Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:27:41 PM by Riggs
Damien was making his way up to meet with the kitchen staff and check in on that beef delivery when he thought of one more question for the Captain. He paused in time to be approached by a fast moving Benjamin Street, Damien recognized him right off from the crew manifest Elena sent him.

"Mr. Rigs! Heard a lot about you. Well, read a lot, and heard a little from Miss Marseille. Looking forward to meeting you when I'm not urgently needed over there." He said apologetically, wearing his lopsided grin.

Damien returned the firm handshake..."Yes we should...." The Chef turned to look over toward Elena and a couple others. "I think I'll join you if you don't mind, need to ask Miss Marseille a quick question." Damien followed behind a few steps letting the XO lead the way. When the stranger began to speak to Street as if he was the Captain, Damien glanced over to Elena who flashed him a quick wink. Damien watched the charade play out from a few paces back and in silence. He had to remember that on this mission he wasn't part of the security team, he was just a cook, a lowly lowly cook. Damien just smiled to himself at the thought of it.

' H o p e ... I s   N o t   A   C o u r s e   O f   A c t i o n ! '

Elena

"They've fitted her up nice," Dash commented, referencing the scene. "What have they got planned here? Some kind of ball?"

She smiled and looked around at the cargo hold, imagining decorating it for some kind of ball in the future. It wasn't a bad idea, and would likely be enjoyed by both passengers and crew. "Perhaps," she answered simply, returning her attention to his face.

"Permission to scalp this wormy-looking cur, Ma'am? I believe the sanitation crew could do with an extra mop," Mr. Graves asked.

Laughing gently under her breath, the captain shook her head in response, deciding instead to wait for her XO to arrive. When Ben entered the hold, Elena smiled and raised her brows in response to Dash's head nod, confirming that that was indeed the 'him' they were waiting for.  She watched Ben approach, laughter dancing brightly in her crystal eyes.

"You rang?" Ben asked.

"I did indeed," she confirmed, gesturing toward the newcomer making his way over to where Ben was standing. "I believe you were expecting this dashing individual," she informed him. After the very brief introduction, Elena fell silent and watched the interaction with a content, ever present smile. My, he was a talkative one, this fellow, and he did seem only a little bit dishonest. But he was humble and seemed eager to work, regardless of what the work was. Her hands returned to their spot around Max's and she stood in patient stillness, unable to stop the upward quirking at the corners of her lips.

"What do ya say captain?" Dash asked Ben.

Elena turned her attention to her XO and arched her eyebrows, curious to see what their 'captain' thought of this man's pitch. Barely contained amusement danced across her porcelain features, but still she said nothing, curious to see how this played out all on its own.

"Should you require that I begin my contractual duties currently, Ma'am, I assure you I am most prepared to shoot trouble on your word. Ahem. If it pleases the Captain, of course," Max assured her.

Elena smiled mercifully and lifted her free hand to settle it softly on his bicep, "Not just yet," she murmured in response, laughter in her voice. Spotting Damien's return, Elena offered him an affectionate wink before returning her attention to the two men speaking with one another.

Karyn Wychovski

July 04, 2018, 09:44:32 PM #39 Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:46:49 PM by Karyn Wychovski
Karyn stopped just past the bridge door, watching Ben make a hurried stride away, down the corridor and past the Cargo area, disappearing through the mid hatch. She considered for a moment following, but then shrugged and turned back into the cockpit. She ran her hands along the back of the pilot’s chair, feeling the luxurious stuffed padding and felt like texture. She swiveled it around and took a seat, swiveled back to face the console. Her eyes took in the expanse of the generous control panel; smaller than what she had experienced in her frigate, but certainly large enough for the mid sized luxury liner that the Allure presented itself to be.

She sighed softly. Settled back into the comfort of the seat. Anticipating the thrust of acceleration and took the control yoke in hand, sensing the grip; the ease of movement; the closeness of additional toggles and knobs that peppered the controls. A smile drew across her face, her red lips parting slightly. She licked her lower lip, and tasted the single drop of sweat as it slid from her upper lip.

This could be the start of a good venture. Maybe even a quiet one. Ben had said it would be strictly business, no hot landings and rapid departures. That would be a quiet change. And welcome.