Chance meeting: A fox and a pixie

Started by Jolene Blaylocke, June 14, 2018, 11:44:28 AM

Jolene Blaylocke

Still dressed in her costume, Jo managed to slip away from the troupe for a little while. She enjoyed their company well enough, but the idle chatter of the other dancing girls eventually wore thin. It was also hard to resist getting a chance to a look at an ocean. She really hadn't had many chances to sit beside an ocean and feel the breeze coming off of the water and so she'd thrown on a long cloak to at least make an attempt to cover herself a little and gone to find a perch that was somewhat hidden in shadows.

For once, she hadn't brought along her bag and cortex link. Normally she was rarely without them, but tonight, she didn't feel like carrying the bag. With the moon rising and the town starting to drift off to sleep, there was little noise coming from the streets. Only the faint sounds of the troupe carried and even then, it was broken and distant. Idly she let her mind wander, recalling the evenings performance. It hadn't gone perfectly, at least for some of the other dancers, but that was partially due to the fact that the girls had gotten into the bottle a little earlier. As she'd had tumbling parts in the performance, Jo had kept a clear head. Now, she was wishing for a small bottle to sip from as she sat atop a stack of crates listening to the waves rolling in.

Sionnach001

The Sionnach, as Sean Finnegan preferred to think of himself while working, enjoyed the performance of the dancers periodically as he moved through the crowd.  They weren't the typical types of belly dancers he was accustomed to...either the barely disguised pole dancers, or the novices from a dance class. These women were actually an impressive professional troupe.  Truth to tell he was only periferally paying attention to them, but they impressed him none-the-less.

Mostly he'd pretend to stand and watch them as he scanned the crowd for a suitable target. He was mostly here out of boredom, a thief of his caliber who spent most of his time on this watery planet of Newhall working as a fisherman had to keep up his skills as well, so he decided to spend the evening lifting pockets.  Moreover, he was selecting the most difficult pockets to pick.  Several of the men, and a few women were completely enthralled by the beautiful women twirling, twitching, and swaying on stage.  These might seem to be easy targets however their bodies would be alight and sensitive to any touch or disturbance.  They'd all do nicely.

He moved a bit to "get a better view" brushing lightly past a portly man who was practically drooling at the dancers, earning angry looks from his wife, as Sionnach's hand moved lithely into the man's back pocket and fished out the man's wallet as he moved on past to a better spot.  In one position a rather inebriated young gentleman bumped hard into Sean and he almost reflexively deprived the drunk of the wallet in his coat as he righted the youngster and set him on his way.

At the edge of the crowd, he grew entirely bored with how easy it had all been and almost in spite rather sloppily, but successfully picked a coin pouch from a sailor, and ambled his way back toward his small apartment.

Jolene Blaylocke

Jo watched a figure approaching her perch and sat up a bit, putting her a little more in the light from the street and the moon. Squinting, she looked at him. She recalled seeing him when she'd been watching the crowd between dances and as she'd moved in close to a couple of the more receptive men in the audience. He'd been up to no good at the time. How she'd managed to see it, she wasn't entirely sure, but she had.

"You know... it's not really nice to take from folk who are just trying to enjoy a good show," she called out. An idea was brewing in her head as she moved even further into the light. Dark, doe like eyes still done up in the extravagant stage make up studied the pale man. He was a lean one for certain, and far more pale than someone she expected to be on a world that focused on fishing.

Sionnach001

Sean thought about ignoring the call and continuing walking away but the woman had raised her voice just enough so that she'd made it clear she'd call louder and garner more attention if he didn't stop.  Gorramit, he thought, I've been a sloppy git and now I'm paying for it. Time for some lily guilding.

He turned, feigning surprise and awkwardness.

"Are ye talkin' to me, lass" he said in very well played confusion, "I dunno what ye mean. I've just finished enjoyin' your fine show.  And if I might say, your performance in particular."

"I apologize if that's uncouth of me." flattery tended to get him far, and out of most bad situations...often into good ones though that wasn't his aim at the moment, "I mean no disrespect.  If I was, I wouldn't be leavin', sure."

Jolene Blaylocke

"Am I talking to you? Well, I don't see anyone else walking down the street and I wasn't talking to myself." Jo edged a little further into the light, but remained perched atop the crate. As he proceeded to try the flattery approach to escape being named a pickpocket, her lips pursed into a faint frown and she shook her head causing dark brown waves to shift around her face. Clearly, flattery wasn't the approach to take.

"Uncouth? Now why would saying you enjoyed a performance be uncouth? Unless you're only saying that to change the subject and it is, in fact, a lie to soften someone up." With a subtle shift, she pushed herself up and slid off of the crate, dropping down to the next layer and then the next as easily as if she were walking down stairs. Finally, she stepped down to the street and crossed her arms over her chest as her chin lifted to continue studying the man in the street. Now on the ground, she proved to be a full foot shorter than he. "I'd tell you to take it back to the owner, but we both know what kind of trouble that will cause. As it is, the poor man probably thinks he dropped the coins along the way somewhere or drank them away."

A sudden quirk of a smile tugged at one corner of her mouth. "But you and I know one yell will tell a different story..."

Sionnach001

Well, bollocks,

Sean let his smile fall from pleasant and friendly to wolfish and playful, but he kept his mind and eye out for avenues of escape.  Last on his list was clocking this lass to knock her senseless. Not only would just simply rather not, but it would raise other kinds of alarms, and other hunts for him...and she could give a very good description of him. So...here he was.

"Alright, lass.  You've got me in a fair jam." he conceded, crossing his arms in front of his chest...not sliding a knife into his fingers from his jacket as he normally might.  "Ye obviously have somethin' in mind rather than callin' for the constabulary or ye would've already.

"What can a fine, poor, starvin' man like m'self do for you on such a nice evening?"

Jolene Blaylocke

Jo stayed put, nearer to the stack of crates as a possible way of escaping any form of attack. He was conceding easily and almost too easily. Truth was, she was curious. Canting her head slightly to her left, the smile that tugged at one corner of her mouth was more playful than it was darkly daring. "Two things," she replied, holding up two fingers.

Here, she hesitated and took a moment to let her words hang between them. Lifting up onto the balls of her feet, she started to move forward to get a better look at him. "First, why?" Maybe it was a silly question, but her curiosity had the better of her. Granted such curiosity could get her into trouble. With her first question given, she ventured a half step closer as her eyes and face took on a more inquisitive expression.

Sionnach001

Quote"First, why?"

His face twisted into a sarcastic are you serious? expression that looked almost comical.

"Um, why do people," he looked around, then lowered his voice just in case, "normally borrow things from other people?

"Folks have needs that need fulfilling, yeah?"

He wasn't sure if he was impressed or thought she was foolish for stepping a bit closer. Either way he didn't plan to give her a bash so it only mattered in assessing her wits.

Jolene Blaylocke

July 25, 2018, 04:55:03 AM #8 Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:12:57 AM by Jolene Blaylocke
The look on his face did draw a laugh that was akin more to a giggle than a full bodied chuckle. Jo held her position, not fully relaxed in body and ready to jump into motion if it was needed. Her expression remained mostly curious though it shifted as he gave his explanation for his actions. "Borrowing? Not what most people call that, but if we're putting on airs about it, you should probably call it 'borrowing permanently'."

Most people she'd come across would have asked about the second 'thing' almost immediately. The fact that he didn't gave her indication that he was one of the few that played on the hope she would forget and not ask. A delightful smirk played across her face as her hands went to her hips. "Not one for hard work, then? More the type to get by on devilish charm and slight of hand? And used to getting by on it I'd say. So, now to my second point. Let's call it a 'promissory fee', shall we?"

Her smirk grew into a wide grin. "Five percent of your take... for the night... and I never saw a thing. Just faces in the crowd that all blur together as I was too busy performing." There was a subtle shift of her footing and weight as she made the offer. If he took it, she still wasn't going to get all that close. If he didn't, well, she might need to make off quick.

Sionnach001

Sean willed his face not to fall as she...politely...demanded five percent of his take away for the evening.  All things being equal, he didn't really care overly much. He hadn't been out for profit tonight, alright not entirely true he was always out for profit, but he was primarily out for sport and practice.  Still, there was the principle of the thing.

"Five percent?" he quipped, "I value me hide I do, but that's a bit steep for just a quick glance at somethin' ye might have seen."

He made a bit of a show of "thinking it over". He looked at the ground for a bit, shifted his feet, clasped his hands behind his back before finally clapping them together.

"Let's say two percent for you're glowing, betwitching, and yet sharp eyes, eh?"

Again, it really didn't matter. It wasn't as if he was going to pull out all the wallets, purses, and pouches;count up the take, then do the math. He'd just give her an estimated amount.

Jolene Blaylocke

Jo's grin became impishly teasing as he began the barter. The money wasn't the point really. His motives had been the more intriguing part, though his reactions had been rather telling. "Interesting... glowing and bewitching you say, yet I would guess you're up to trying your charm again."

There was a relaxing of her stance as she regarded him, doing her own thinking on his offer. The grin became pursed lips paired with narrowed eyes. "Three percent on account of your trying charm again."

Sionnach001

Sean sketched a slightly surprised look on his face, not too much though. Looking shocked or wounded would have been over kill...comical in fact. He wanted her to think he'd been at least partly serious. Truth to tell she was quite attractive, not it mattered over much.  His survival instincts has long since won the war over his hormones...well, mostly.

"Ah lass," his tone serious, but just playful enough to transmit flirting and not fèihuà, "layin' a bit of truth in the game never hurt a thing."

He felt around in the concealed inner pockets of his long coat and found a pouch that felt about three precentish and finger flicked it, without a sound, into the sleeve of the jacket atop his inner wrist.  He withdrew it and smoothly offered his hand to the bright, if frustratingly clever young dancer. He dipped his hand downward for a second as he stretched out his arm and bowed slightly so she could see it without exposing it to anyone else.

"Three percent and we'll have done then." he said just tense enough to show he wasn't thrilled with all this but there were no hard feelings, "Names Sionnach by the by,"

Jolene Blaylocke

His surprise seemed genuine this time, and Jo would almost swear he was wounded, though he made less of a show about it. As he presented the coin and bow, she eyed him as if checking his face for deceit and hesitated. Then, with a quick dart forward, she was plucking the small purse from his hand as the cloak around her blew back with the movement. It revealed she'd not even changed after the performance and her mid drift exposing costume came briefly into view. As quickly as she was there, she was moving back a smile on her lips. One that was far more sweet and genuine than those she'd been tossing his way previously.

"Sionnach... an interesting name. Never heard it before." If she'd any interest in the small purse, it wasn't obvious, though her hands disappeared beneath the cloak and behind her back. Something about the way he'd seemed... hurt?... had her wondering if he had at all laid any truth in the conversation. "I go by Pixie."

Sionnach001

July 25, 2018, 01:02:27 PM #13 Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:18:07 PM by Sionnach001
"Pixie's" lithe form was not lost on the cynical thief, though he quickly rebuked himself. Ooohhh Sean you foolish rascal.  You're still in danger boyo and she can changer her tune as quick as she whistled it.  Time for the getaway.

It wasn't difficult to dial up a fairly genuine smile though, in danger though he was.

"Well Miss Pixie." he gave her a respectfulish nod of his head, "T'was interesting to meet you. Great dance ye made, and a quick eye ye have.  I'd say it was a pleasure doin' business with ye, but I lost out so I'd be a liar if I said it."

He ceased completely with the flirting, just too dangerous and he opened himself up again completely with his senses.  His eyesight sharpened, the slightest sound crept into his ears, even the variances of air pressure danced along his skin. Sneaking up on him would be all but impossible.  He then turned as much attention as he could to the lady and still stay alert.

"So who taught you to be so observant? That kind of skill rarely comes naturally."

Jolene Blaylocke

Jo noted the change in conversation and his demeanor, but she was taken back by his comment about her observation. Beneath the dark cloak, her shoulders lifted in a shrug at his question. One hand slipped from behind her back and motioned towards the stacked crates on which she'd been perched before even as she backed up towards them. Being more removed from the light seemed more favorable, just in case she wasn't the only one who'd spotted him. "Sometimes, a girl just gets lucky. Might be that I happened to be just looking at the right place at the right time."

As she backed up into the crates, she held at the bottom, leaning almost nonchalantly against them. He was certainly proving to be interesting. If anything, she'd expected he'd run. Not that she'd have called anyone in. Likely they wouldn't have believed her and would have been more interested in getting her name and making closer acquaintance in the process. "Could be the dancer in me, used to spotting when turning so I don't get dizzy." The softer smile turned up her lips again, her curiosity once again starting to get the better of her.

"Are you always so honorable or did a girl get doubly lucky tonight?"

Sionnach001

Sean almost barked a laugh at the idea of him being honorable, as he leaned up against a wooden crate on his butt and crossed his arms, this time a knife in the fingers of each hand.  Not meant for Pixie, but whatever else might present a threat.  His face was plastered with amusement that he could barely contain. Honorable...first time for everything.

"So dancing gives ye sharp eyes, sure." he replied, "why not?  Skill's a skill. I'll say ye dance a fair twirl and shake ye do." he lifted one hand in a twirling pantomime.

"Anything else ye do to pass the time on this watery, fishy wasteland?"  he mused aloud, "or do ye like the constant smell of fish, and fish related product?"

"An' what the hell gave ye the idea that I'm honorable?"

Jolene Blaylocke

July 25, 2018, 02:16:37 PM #16 Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:44:39 AM by Jolene Blaylocke
Her laugh came quickly at the mention of the constant smell of fish. With a quick rock of her weight, Jo was hopping up on top of the crate behind her using her free hand. Settling, her dark eyes studied him, trying to put into words why she'd chosen the word honorable. First, she looked to answering what it was she did with her free time. "Not from here. None of that troupe are, so far as I know. We travel from place to place, perform and then move on. Though," her head turned towards the faint sounds of the after performance party off in the distance before looking forward. "Tonight was probably my last night with this group. Larger, more prestigious group contacted me recently. Can't really refuse the money they're offering."

With that, she gave a very soft, short whistle to get his attention. Once he looked, she tossed the small coin purse back to him, not a cred missing. "Honorable because most would have either run or taken my small size to their advantage. Though I suppose you still could. Here's hoping a little kindness along with the previous dancing goes a ways in keeping me breathing and awake." Now that her hands were free, she tugged at the cloak and covered her lap as she offered up a mildly apologetic smile. "I'd wager you need that more than I do. Sorry for putting you in a spot."

Sionnach001

Sean deftly caught and pocketed the purse noislessly, and seemingly without looking.  He didn't think to thank her, she'd given it up, it was his now, and that was that.

As to her other concerns...

"Well it's like this lass." he replied amiably, "I suppose I could've run but it's a pretty wide open set of streets and it's iffy if i coulda made it out of sight before any of the crowd over there spotted me" he gestured to the crowd gathered around the stage, "if ye cried out something like oh, say...stop, thief" he said the last in a low tone.

"As for smackin' ye up, well..." he smiled wolfishly as a joke, "Neh, for one thing someone inside mighta heard," he noted as he jerked a thumb toward the door to the dressing room,

"Besides which, I may not be the most honorable sort ye're likely te meet, but pouncin' with violence on a lady is not really on my list of things to do unless me life's in great danger...which it certainly wasn't"

"So, fair question's bein' asked an' all. If ye weren't gonna call the squads down on me, an' were gonna give me back my take anyway," he asked in slight amusement, "what's the game about then? Ye bored?"

Jolene Blaylocke

Jo really couldn't say why she'd bothered with the idea. It had just sprung to mind when she'd seen him in the street and she'd run with it. She'd never before taken a risk like that and so he had probably hit the nail on the head. A chuckle at the idea of being bored passed her lips and she leaned her head back against the crate behind her. "I suppose you could call it that. Maybe it was just the idea of the challenge to it."

She was quiet for a moment and then turned her head to look at him. "And is long term borrowing all you do, or do you pass the time in other ways?" There was no real reason for her to be so at ease, especially knowing he considered himself less than honorable, but yet she stayed put and completely relaxed. It was an unusual situation for her, but she was rather enjoying the company of someone outside of the performance troupe.

Sionnach001

"Well," he answered, thinking about things a bit, not wanting to give too much away but it was an interesting conversation, "I do mostly work on honing my craft so to speak."

He slid the two throwing knives out of the sheathes inside the the sleeves of his jacket and spun, tip down, on his finger for a few seconds, before letting them fall into his palms.

"Sometimes ye just have to have a hobby." he slowly, then more quickly as he added three more knives from other sheathes on his person, juggled them in arcs of matted black steel in his fingers as he stood and turned, walking lithely backward several paces.

"Keeps the mind sharp, the dexterity limber, and me arse..." he threw each blade in turn, the tip of each thunking deeply into the wood of the crate he'd been sitting on, points all but touching each other,  "in one piece"

He walked over and tugged the blades out and put them all back where the went swiftly.

"Ye know...should the need arise."