S2E6.2 - Hunter or Hunted

Started by kysenp, January 13, 2014, 04:22:22 AM

Lin Kuei

Lin poured the water into the teacups along with a bag for each. Setting one to steep, he took the over to the bedside table and set it down within easy grasp of Victoria. She was resting and he did not feel it necessary to disturb her regarding the tea. The rest was much needed. Taking a red knitted blanket from the end of the bed, he draped gently across her sleeping form and kissed her on the forehead.

Quietly getting up from the bed, he made his way over to his teacup and collected it, reversing the position so the saucer was under the cup itself. Stepping softly over to the doorway, he turned off the light and eased the door almost closed. He wanted there to be a sliver of light left in case she needed to see or work in a start.

Lin made his way into the Ops area and quickly drank his tea before setting it aside. Working quickly, he checked to see if there were any messages or replies regarding the emergency message. The negative result was a mixed blessing. They needed the right sort of help and the wrong sort might just cause the ship to cash in its chips. Lin sent another burst transmission of the message once again. "Vega, are things really quiet out there? If we are alone, we can probably bury Luke's body quick enough to not be noticed. Let me know how things are."

Vega Barnet

Vega sighed. He felt very tired. "Looks like it was a freak accident. Don't think there were any hostiles at all." He quickly explained what he figured must have happened. "We'll get Luke back to the ship." As he and Abe set about their task he cursed their still imminent danger. When they were safe again Vega was going to get very, very drunk. He didn't even know if Luke had any next of kin. There was the girl though, Sabrina, she needed to know. Since Vega figured himself to be the only one of the crew Luke had confided that bit of information to, it should be him. Right, once we're out of this mess, get in contact with the girl and try and break it gently, THEN get as drunk as you possibly can... Yeah, that'll do.

Abenette Kelker

Abe blinked a tear back at Vega's answer.

"Yeah. Looks like a grenade went off at his feet. Would have been pretty much instant..."

But why?  Why haven't they tried to attack more of them.  For all intents and purposes, she and Vega were rather easy targets for a group of assassins.

"Doesn't make sense. They take one of us out and then don't follow up?"

He was obviously thinking the same thing.  Then they heard Kuei over the comms.

"Victoria's resting now but still a little unsettled. The crash got to her more than I expected. If Luke is down, let's at least give him a proper burial. I've sent out an emergency burst signal looking for former crew members to give us some aid, especially a mechanic and a medic. Stay sharp, you two, and create a collection point of anything you think we might need so we can then move it inside as we get more room. I'll stay on board and monitor communications from here while keeping an eye on Victoria. Hopefully, we'll get the help we need and Victoria will be cooking everyone a meal before long."

A collection point...  Abe wasn't thinking about supplies.  She looked over at Luke's body and his legs...  There wasn't much left...

"Acknowledged."

She fought the urge to retch, but couldn't help it.  She didn't know if it was from the gruesomeness or for the fact that she already seemed to be sick before she got there.  She stumbled until she got to the back of a crate and lost whatever little was left in her stomach.  She stopped when her attention was garnered from Vega's outbreak of violence.  He was basically going postal on whatever he could find. 

It was a good reaction.  Something that she could understand.  Then he seemed to reign himself in and go back to checking the area.

"Was an accident."  "This guys been dead a while. Probably from when the Mercs hit the place. Looks like he managed to pull the pin on a grenade and then died before he could throw it. Way he fell kept the clip from releasing, at least til Luke found the body and went to move it."

Abe closed her eyes, cursing the unfairness of it all.  To live through the attack only to die from an accident.

"Shouldn't have been him...  He was a good guy.  Helped me out when I was hurt. Calmed me.  He didn't deserve to die this way.  It should have had more meaning.  Instead it is senseless."

Kuei's voice came over the comm again.

"Vega, are things really quiet out there? If we are alone, we can probably bury Luke's body quick enough to not be noticed. Let me know how things are."

Abe felt her stomach beginning to churn again and knew that this was not due to looking at Luke's remains.  Something was wrong.  Truly wrong.  But she couldn't deal with it right now.  They had a body to bury.

"Looks like it was a freak accident. Don't think there were any hostiles at all."  "We'll get Luke back to the ship."

She stood up getting to her petite stature.  She knew she was probably pale and looked like Hell, but there was work to be done.  A fallen comrade to take care of.  But her body was not being helpful and everything began to spin, forcing her to lean against the crate to stay standing.

"It'll pass," she said aloud to herself.  "It always does."

Ian Dugan

((OOC) Pending an edit request form our illustrious captain ... Ian Returns)

He had been after them for weeks now.  Following any lead he could find.  Providing transport to pay the bills and keep his shuttle in the Black.

He had traced his quarry back and forth across this sector of space.  He was always just a few hours late.

He knew how the captain thought.  He knew the ship's troubles.  So he looked in all the worst places he could think of.

He finally found them.

He came in low, on a stealth trajectory, hiding in the black, where he could and ducking in trees once he broke atmo.

He had been gone too long.

Now he was back.

He came over a last rise, having followed the trail of engine emissions that lead him here.  He hoped against hope that he had found what he was looking for.

Once the ship was in sight, he knew he was home.

But, as he landed, he wondered ...

Would she still want him?

With that in mind, he shut down the Blaze's engines, opened the hatch and walked out into the sun.  The tails of his great black duster fluttered behind him as he looked at the Ronin.

Abenette Kelker

July 27, 2016, 11:51:22 AM #244 Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:52:03 AM by Abenette Kelker
OOC:  If my vote counts for anything, Abe is all in!  SQUEE!

Abe's world was doing less of the spinny thing when she heard the sound of a ship approaching.  She tensed for a moment, choking back a wave of nausea, as she gripped Dude and got ready if it was the enemy.  But it didn't take long for her to know that this ship was not someone coming to harm them.

This was something altogether different.  This was home.

She knew the sound of Blaze's engines; her captain had returned!  She couldn't help but smile wide.  It felt like Ian had been gone forever, but it had only been a couple of weeks.

She located the ship landing and left Vega to stand alone where he was. She ran towards Blaze and when she got closer, she could see Ian and his billowing coat standing right there.

"CAPT'N!" she yelled, happiness evident in her eyes and smile, even though her skin was quite pale.  She always called him her captain, even though technically Kuei was.  She nearly knocked him down as she hugged him tight, arms sliding under his coat so she could be closer to him.  "Ya came back!  Ya came back!"

She stood there a bit longer, enjoying the embrace before pulling back just enough that she could see his face.

"God I love ya.  Don't ever leave me again, understand me?"

Lin Kuei

July 27, 2016, 04:40:42 PM #245 Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:39:30 PM by Lin Kuei
It had been roughly thirty-six hours since they had landed at the outpost. There had been a few surprises such as the populace being murdered and then Luke suffering an explosion at a hidden grenade. The ship was still damaged and would not be able to get off the ground. The landing had popped some stabilizers which were in a state of being repaired.

Lin had buried Luke's body off the beaten path with a simple gravestone but no religious markings. It had never come up really. He had etched the words "Loyal Mechanic" into the headstone before jamming it into the ground. Luke's skills would be missed certainly and, given the situation, perhaps more than normal. Outside of basic gun repairs, those still part of the crew were pretty much at a loss when it came to ship repairs.

Victoria had been sleeping much more than normal. The damage to the ship or perhaps the landing had affected her more than expected. Lin was spending spare moments with her when he was not examining the engine. The sound of the shuttle caused him concern and forced him to look at the possibility that someone had heard the call for help.

Almost cautiously, he made his way down from the engine room and out of the cargo bay. Stepping onto the dirt just after the ship landed, a smile slowly crept across his face. Ian had returned. He was always a valuable ally and his return was well worth it. Abe took to him right away. Lin waited for a few moments to let them get reacquainted before he stepped forward to shake the former Captain's hand. "Good to see you, Ian. ... Glad you found us. Hopefully, the signal is just difficult enough to confound the unwanted. Is the shuttle holding up well?"

Ian Dugan

He had stood, hands on his hips, as Abe stepped out of the warehouse and began running toward him.  He could see Abe put Dude back in his place as she moved.  Her face looked a touch haggard, but otherwise just as beautiful as ever.

"CAPT'N!"

She slammed into him and he would have lost his balance except for Abe wrapping him in a fierce hug.

"Ya came back!  Ya came back!"

She spoke into his shoulder, but he heard every word.  He hugged her back and kissed the top of her head.  Then he caught a whiff of her breath.  It was acrid and sharp.

He hugged all the more, living in the moment, blotting out the 'Verse and all its troubles.

They broke the hug at almost the same moment and she leaned back just far enough too look him in the eye.  She was so pale and sweat still beaded up on her forehead.

"God I love ya.  Don't ever leave me again, understand me?"

"I love you too, Bao Bei.

A pause.

He smiled his crooked smile.

"You look like Go-Se, but you are the most beautiful thing I have seen in God's 'Verse.

He had seem Lin walk up and stop.  He nodded to the man, his friend and Captain, finally pulling away from Abe, but not letting go, his hand in hers.

"Good to see you, Ian. ... Glad you found us. Hopefully, the signal is just difficult enough to confound the unwanted. Is the shuttle holding up well?"

"You too, Skipper.  I didn't follow our signal, just followed trouble and figured you'd be close.  Blaze is fine.  Almost better than Ronin.  Did you kick your mechanic out the airlock?"

He had no idea of what he had just said, but it would not take him too long to catch up.

Abenette Kelker

"I love you too, Bao Bei."

She melted inside.  She was so happy.  Ian Dugan, her very special capt'n, had come back and said that he loved her.  She smiled as she took in that smile that she loved.

"You look like Go-Se, but you are the most beautiful thing I have seen in God's 'Verse."

Her eyes widened as she stroked her hair down a little, trying to make sure she didn't look mussed.

"I look bad?" she asked, shaking a little.  "I haven't been feeling well at all, but I didn't think it was obvious."

Maybe she was even sicker than she thought.

She was about to ask Ian what exactly he meant when he said she looked like Hell, but Kuei walked up.  Ian pulled away, but kept hold of her hand.  That was nice, but then she wondered if whatever she had was communicable.  She didn't want to give what she was experiencing to anyone.  It was miserable.

"Good to see you, Ian. ... Glad you found us. Hopefully, the signal is just difficult enough to confound the unwanted. Is the shuttle holding up well?"

"You too, Skipper.  I didn't follow our signal, just followed trouble and figured you'd be close.  Blaze is fine.  Almost better than Ronin.  Did you kick your mechanic out the airlock?"

Luke...  Ian didn't know about Luke.  She couldn't stop but have the visual of what was left of him after the grenade had exploded.  Her stomach flipped and a wave of nausea flowed over her.  She couldn't help but pull away from Ian, move a few feet away and retch into the bushes.

God it sucked to be sick.

Ian Dugan

Ian was by her side in an instant.  He held her hair back so it wouldn't get dirtier than what it was.  A concerned looked crossed his features.  He looked to Lin

"What di i say?  ...  What dont I know?"

Abenette Kelker

Abe felt Ian's presence in what seemed like a second after she retched some more.  He was even aware enough to pull her hair back and out of the way.

That's my man...  Always looking out for me.

But he didn't know what happened to Luke nor what was wrong with her.

"What di i say?  ...  What dont I know?"

"Didn't say nothin' wrong, Capt'n," Abe ground out before half standing back up and wiping her mouth.  "Thought everything was good, but Luke came across a body who was holding an undetonated grenade.  He didn't see it and went ta go move the body and boom!"

She looked up at Ian.

"There weren't much left of him," a tear slipped down her face.  "It is a waste.  And he was so nice ta me when I was injured."

Oh...  Ian didn't know she had been injured.   

"Got hit with a concussive grenade, fell out of a pretty perch I had found," she said with a shrug like it wasn't anything.  "Hit with some tranqs and broke a bunch of ribs.  It's sore and they took care of the collapsed lung.  I'll be right as rain in a bit."

Except for the fact that she felt like Hell.

"I'm just a little sick.  Maybe some kinda lingering allergy ta whatever they hit me with," she hypothesized.  "I do think I need ta sit down now."

God...  She was so tired and wrung out.

Lin Kuei

August 13, 2016, 11:23:02 AM #250 Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:39:40 PM by Lin Kuei
Lin stayed quiet for a few seconds. Abbey took the initiative in relaying what happened to Luke. Lin's acceptance of death and when it would come was different than most as he had never worried about it for himself but more for those his sudden absence might affect like Victoria. "I just finished burying him a few hours ago with a worthy epitaph. Did not feel right putting anything else." Lin internally grimaced at getting the ship ready to fly without an actual mechanic.

"As you can see, we are pretty much grounded until we can get repairs done. I would not love the idea of staying here on a permanent basis. Do you have any mechanical skills or are we all going to putting this back together random soldering attempts and bailing wire we possible?" Lin was not kidding. Given the skill sets of the remaining crew members, his passing knowledge of mechanical matters probably lead the group but basic maintenance protocols would not get replacement equipment nor guarantee its proper placement. "Glad to see you still got your shuttle, Ian. We may need it to retrieve some parts in order to fly again."

Ian Dugan

Ian looked at Lin.  Shell shocked.

Talk about foot in mouth, he thought.

He looked down at Abe, still holing her hair, then, when he was sure she was done, he let go of it and scooped her up in his arms.  She weighed next to nothing.

"Skipper, my shuttle is yours.  I've learned a bit keepin her goin and on the Glory.  I'll se what I can for Ronin, after I take Abe to her cabin.  She needs ta rest.

He took a step then paused.

"Request permission ta come aboard, Sir.

He spoke to Lin, but his eyes were for Abe.  He searched her face and what he could see of her body for whatever he could figure out was wrong.  All he couls tell was that the love of his life was hurtin.

He almost felt powerless.

Lin Kuei

Lin gave a small smile. "Absolutely you are welcome aboard, Ian." He turned and pointed at the large engines and struts along the bottom of the ship before gesturing toward the engine itself. "As much as I hate to admit it, the port side engine is probably going to need to be replaced which means we'll need to get it here in pieces and then somehow attach it. The engine room itself is covered pieces of panels and wiring. I might be able to handle the electrical components some. The biggest upside is the amount of spare parts we have for sundry repairs. Of course, they are scattered across the cargo bay right now. Good to have you back, Ian." Lin stepped forward to offer a handshake before he would turn to the ship.

Abenette Kelker

August 28, 2016, 10:13:54 PM #253 Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:20:48 AM by Abenette Kelker
"I just finished burying him a few hours ago with a worthy epitaph. Did not feel right putting anything else."

Abe nodded in agreement.

"As you can see, we are pretty much grounded until we can get repairs done. I would not love the idea of staying here on a permanent basis. Do you have any mechanical skills or are we all going to putting this back together random soldering attempts and bailing wire we possible?"

Abe knew that Ian had some proficiency in mechanics.  He would be able to help, but in a way, she almost wanted to pack up her things, get back on Blaze and leave.  Of course, they would make sure help got down to the Ronin.

But it wouldn't be that way.  It wasn't in her and it wasn't in Ian.  They just weren't built that way.

"Glad to see you still got your shuttle, Ian. We may need it to retrieve some parts in order to fly again."

That's when she felt Ian scoop her up into his arms.  She was exhausted and just let her head rest against his shoulder, her body going limp.

"Skipper, my shuttle is yours.  I've learned a bit keepin her goin and on the Glory.  I'll se what I can for Ronin, after I take Abe to her cabin.  She needs ta rest.

"Our cabin..." Abe murmured in censure.

"Request permission ta come aboard, Sir."

She turned her head just a bit to look at his face, only to see those warm brown eyes trained on hers.  God she loved him.

"Absolutely you are welcome aboard, Ian."

If she could do it tucked up against Ian, it would be bliss.  But then again, if she was sick, then she didn't want to get him sick too.

But she thought hard.  No one else was sick.  Everyone had been eating the same food.  It had to be a lingering allergy or reaction to what the intruders shot her with. There was no other explanation.  She laid her head back against his shoulder again and used her hand to grip the lapel of his duster.

"As much as I hate to admit it, the port side engine is probably going to need to be replaced which means we'll need to get it here in pieces and then somehow attach it. The engine room itself is covered pieces of panels and wiring. I might be able to handle the electrical components some. The biggest upside is the amount of spare parts we have for sundry repairs. Of course, they are scattered across the cargo bay right now. Good to have you back, Ian."

She closed her eyes and felt herself drifting, but she forced herself awake.

"Take me back to our room...  I am so tired..."

Ian Dugan

Ian nodded his head in acknowledgement to Lin about being allowed back on board and the work that needed to be done.  To acknowledge Abe, he started forward and carried her into the ship proper.  Lin wasn't lying about the mess in the cargo bay.  Parts had spilled out from crates and were cast about like a giant baby had had a tantrum and thrown his toys about before going in for supper.

Abe may not have weighed much, but after a few minutes of just holding here, his arms started to burn.  It was like when you make a fist, hold your arms out to the side of your body and someone puts a quarter weight  on each fist.  The weight is light, but the arms burn.

It was a good burn so Ian just kept in motion and soon he was at the door to Abe's cabin.  Their old cabin.  He hoped it would be still but he didn't want to assume. 

Some things ya just had ta be told.

He laid her down on her ... their ... bed and took her boot off.

"Since ya aint dyin, I could let ys keep'em on, but the bed would get all dirty, so's I'll set them by the foot."

Once the boots were placed at the foot of the bed, Ian felt Abe's forehead and face with his hand.  She wasn't hot to the touch, so no fever.

He would have kissed her, but she had just vomited ...

So he kissed her forehead.

"Get some rest, I'll be back.  Gotta start earnin my keep.  I'll be back to check on you soon."

He waited to see if she would protest or something before turning out the lights and leaving the room.

He stepped out of the ship, walked to pick up his things and make ihis way back inside.  He placed them on the deck, by the door, along with his duster and got to work on putting the cargo bay back in order.  He mumbled about giant babies and their toys and tantrums.

It was good to be home.

Lin Kuei

As Ian went inside with Abe, Lin made a beeline for the engine room to start cleaning it up. Most of the tools had been scattered across the floor along with some smaller spare parts. He made his way up the stairs and knelt down at the landing collecting the tools first before entering. Stepping inside, he placed them back in their bin and moved to collect the rest.

He was getting worried about Victoria. She had been asleep for quite a while and was still not feeling well after the crash. He opted to let her sleep rather than try to wake her. With an internal grimace, he looked at all the spare nuts and bolts scattered across the floor. A broom would have been more helpful but there was none.

Getting down on his hands and knees, Lin started pooling them together into large enough piles. It was a slow process and took a few minutes. When there were enough piles, he grabbed the container they were supposed to be in and started filing it up. Shaking his head as he got the last ones off of the floor, Lin replaced the container in its position. Now came the hard part, he went prone and started searching for any pieces that may have rolled to hidden spots along the floor.

Abenette Kelker

September 28, 2016, 09:45:11 PM #256 Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:45:54 PM by Abenette Kelker
Abe woke up, feeling a little better and a little more rested.  She was hungry for once, but knew that anything heavy would not stay down.  Toast seemed to work the best.  She looked around and did not see Ian or his things in the room.  Did he want to sleep somewhere else?  Maybe.  Since she had been sick for a bit.  But she didn't think she had anything communicable.  She was allergic to something.  Probably the tranquilizer.  She hoped that she the effects would pass soon.

So she got up, brushed her teeth and padded down to the galley for some toast.  She got some and as she nibbled on it as she went in search of Ian.

It didn't take long before she found him, tidying up in the cargo bay.  She looked down to see his things and his duster, which she couldn't help but pick up and take a deep breath.  It smelled just like him and that was like home.  She felt complete when he was there.  She knew right then that she definitely loved him.

She put the duster down and walked over to where he was working.

"Hey Capt'n...  How are ya doin'?"

Ian Dugan

Ian had been so intent on his clean up that he had not been aware of Abe coming into the cargo bay.  He covered his surprise and turned his head.

"Place is a mess with Lin's flyin.  Someone's gotta clean up after'em."

There was a smile easily detectable in his voice.

He turned fully to her, broom in hand, bristles on the deck.

"You look better.  How ya feelin?"

She looked better.  Wonderful in fact.

It was almost like they were the only two on the ship.  In the whole 'Verse ...

Then he heard a clash and clang from the direction of the engine room and heard, faintly, Lin swear.

He was home.

Lin Kuei

Lin managed to get the engine room cleaned up and came down to the cargo bay doors to get some fresh air. With no real power, the ventilation system was operating at a poor level so it became necessary to set it off in order to save what little power they had. He smirked at Ian's comment. "I can fly the basics but under heavy fire with a damaged ship, even if it is just a twenty miles is rough. Ventilation system is down until we can get more of a power supply for the ship. Might be tough until we get that repaired."

Lin popped his neck and started wondering if anyone had actually gotten his signal at all. Hopefully someone with better mechanical skill than him or they could be in for a rough time. "We can salvage what water and food they had left here for ourselves. I doubt they'll be coming back after the mess they made of the outpost." Lin cracked his knuckles and contemplated what to target next in the cleanup.

Abenette Kelker

October 10, 2016, 12:09:36 AM #259 Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 12:10:11 AM by Abenette Kelker
Ian had been so intent on his clean up that he had not been aware of Abe coming into the cargo bay.  He covered his surprise and turned his head.

"Place is a mess with Lin's flyin.  Someone's gotta clean up after'em."

There was a smile easily detectable in his voice.

Abe could tell by Ian's body language that she had quite the stealthy entrance to the cargo bay.  To his defense, he was busy clearing away the mess that was the cargo bay.

"You look better.  How ya feelin?"

She nodded.

"Lots.  At least right now, I don't feel like pukin'.  Might even try eatin' in a bit."

God it was nice that he was back.  Actually, more than nice. She was ecstatic.

She looked up to where her perch had been during the attack.

"I was wedged up in that little space during the attack.  When they sighted me, I had to back out of there quickety fast.  Managed ta fall and nearly break my neck, but got hit with a tranq anyway.  I guess I owe Luke a bit of thanks for savin' me.  One of those gorram soldiers tried ta carry me off."

She heard the commotion from where Lin was too, but continued.

"I'm not sure what they wanted, but if'n they wanted us dead, we would be," she said musing the events.  "Makes it hard to wonder why though and ta predict any future moves."

A little dizzy, probably from lack of food, she hopped up on a crate.  She really wanted to talk a bit about things and get his opinion.  Ian was a shrewd thinker.

She wanted to get into this, but Lin came in.

"I can fly the basics but under heavy fire with a damaged ship, even if it is just a twenty miles is rough. Ventilation system is down until we can get more of a power supply for the ship. Might be tough until we get that repaired."

If they could limp the ship away from their current location, that would be fantastic.  Being somewhere else would be preferable in case the attackers were to return.

"We can salvage what water and food they had left here for ourselves. I doubt they'll be coming back after the mess they made of the outpost."

Abe wasn't so sure.

"Ian and I could go with Blaze and load up whatever we can find," she offered.  "If we can get this ship up in the air and moved, I'd feel a lot better to not be in this exact position.  We don't really know if they will be back or not."