A place to call home.

Started by James Mackenzie, October 05, 2017, 07:11:27 PM

James Mackenzie

October 05, 2017, 07:11:27 PM Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:25:52 PM by James Mackenzie
James grabbed the cloth and started wiping down the dust that had accumulated on the bar overnight.  There were about ten minutes before opening for the lunch time crowd.  Brin was currently in the kitchen and the smells wafting from that direction was already making his mouth water.  He considered delaying opening and joining her in the kitchen for a bit.  Of course that would probably upset the already slightly tenuous relationship he had with the locals.  Small towns never really were keen when someone new came into the fold let alone several someones at the one time, a couple of which took over the very popular saloon.  Still since they got here two months ago they were slowly settling in and trying to prove they weren't a couple of upstarts looking to take over.  He looked behind him at the fresh batch of Juniper Beer that Brin had been making since arriving and a smile lit his lips.  That stuff was certainly going a long way to make his group more welcome in town.

Sabrina Kurigawa

It wasn't a huge brewery, just the one vat, but that one vat and Brin's secret recipe was all they had needed. This place had been like a gift of fate. It had Juniper berry trees and everything and was basically perfect. Brin had fallen in love with it pretty much the moment she had stepped foot in the door. It reminded her a lot of her home back on Juniper and after everything that had happened to them, the conspiracy with Vox, losing Gemini, her tragic miscarriage... a taste of solidarity and home was exactly what she needed.

It had only been two months since months since they'd settled here but she had already taken great pains with James to make it home. They'd remodeled a little, changed up the decor, gave the place a fresh coat of paint and a new name. There'd been some kick back at first about these two strangers in their town, but after the successful brew of her first batch of the Kurigawa special, folks around seemed a lot more keen on this couple. Seems her family brew still had that magic taste.

She was making fresh bread and barbecue pork. That's what James was smelling. She came out the revolving kitchen door carrying a plate which was loaded with a pulled pork sandwich and some fresh potato wedges and a side of Cole slaw. Her other hand was carrying a tall glass of fresh peach iced tea. She handed them both to him with a smile.

Austin Ashmore

Austin had to count his blessings. He was stuck in this town for the meantime and life was not as eventful as he usually tried to make it, but he was alive and had his freedom. James was the man to thank for that. It would have been all to easy to let the ex-con fall under the bus when bounty hunters had come calling, but the former captain had tugged him away and offered protection which soon led to Constance. Ashmore often considered Gemini with the foolish regret that things could be changed.

He had quickly removed himself from James and Sabrina's home life, taking up some inexpensive shack in town. As much as that was an attempt to give them space, he had become a regular barfly. A working barfly, but what he still felt he was an all to common face none the less. Who else did he have though? James knew his past, which meant Sabrina probably knew his past and he knew a few spots of theirs. Two friends was already two more than Austin had prepared to deal with, but they were friends though. People who he had placed his trust in after they had met him with kindness. And they were good people, which made them his kind of people.

Until such a time that it felt right to leave, Austin had been keeping trouble out of the bar and even covered the odd shift pulling beer. He kept out the kitchen. He was bad in the kitchen. But weight was pulled anywhere else his assistance was welcomed. All in all it was unexpectedly... nice.

~

The front door of Nowhere opened and closed noisily behind Austin as he entered. "Good morning," he said warmly with a small smile as he saw the pair. He relieved himself of a coat and gloves, hanging them up on the wall. "Nice warm day out there. Should be getting plenty of the workers thirsty." He looked through the window to labourers waiting for the lunch bell to ring. "I was never so keen to lose my wage," he turned from the window, "but I guess it's your gain and we can be glad for that."

He stepped towards the edge of the bar, trying not to stare at any intimacy between James and Brin, but catching the distinct smell from the kitchen. "Smells fantastic Sabrina." He wasn't asking, but they could probably both tell he was wanting.

F-Word

F-Word watched from the ground as the shuttle he'd converted into a crop duster made its passes over the fields of the New Mallory Abbey. Worked like a charm.

"You know," said Brother Lance, approaching him, "We appreciate you rigging that up for us. But you could have made a modest living with something like that."

F-Word shrugged. "Wouldn't be no profit after I hired a pilot. I'd just end up crashing the ruttin' thing if I tried flying that low myself. Sister Macy does pretty good by it though, eh?"

Brother Lance smiled with pride at the deft flying on display. "They say pilots are born, not made. Sister Macy was already born again. Looks like she just got born a third time."

"They say that's the charm," said F-Word.

Brother Lance put a concilatory hand on F-Word's shoulder. "Ephraim, some of the brothers and sisters have been talking again."

F-Word sighed. He KNEW he should have chosen to take refuge with an order that had  a vow of silence. "Let me guess. They want me to shit or get off the pot."

"You've been here a long time," said Brother Lance. "Some see the fact that you haven't become a full-fledged member of our order as...well..."

"Dickish?" supplied F-Word. "I earn my keep around here, don't I?"

"It's not about earning your keep," said Brother Lance. "It's about dedicating your life."

F-Word shrugged. He'd had this conversation before and he didn't see it going any differently this time, either.

"There are those, like myself, who want you here regardless of your ecclesiastical status. But maybe it would be wise to stay out of the way as much as you can."

F-Word got the point. He should be elsewhere as much as possible. It made sense. And he didn't want to go where he wasn't wanted, anyway. "Yeah. Think I'll start now. Could use a drink."

Fifteen minutes later he was hitching his horse to his favorite saloon and walking in. He nodded to the proprietors and took up a bar stool. "James. Brin. I need beer in my face, please."

James Mackenzie

James grinned as he took both from Brin.  He placed the Iced Tea on the counter behind the bar top and took a bit of the sandwich.  He closed his eyes in pleasure at succulent and juicy mouthful.  He swallowed and put the plate down next to the tea before putting his arms around Brin. 

"You are far to good to me Brin," He mumbled as he brought Brin a bit closer.  "Though its probably a good think I keep up with my morning exercise with all this hearty food you keep supplying me."  He winked playfully just as the door opened behind them and Austin walked in.

Quote"Good morning," he said warmly with a small smile as he saw the pair. He relieved himself of a coat and gloves, hanging them up on the wall. "Nice warm day out there. Should be getting plenty of the workers thirsty." He looked through the window to labourers waiting for the lunch bell to ring. "I was never so keen to lose my wage," he turned from the window, "but I guess it's your gain and we can be glad for that."

Grinning James let go of Brin.

"Morning Ashmore."

He stepped away sending Brin another playful smile as Austin turned his attention to her.  He walked to the door and flicked over the closed sign to open.  It was not long before a crowd started to pile in and James took his position at the bar with Austin as the seats at the bar and tables started to fill.

Quote"James. Brin. I need beer in my face, please."

James smiled at one of their regulars a Shepherd who was pretty unlike most of the other Shepherds James had ever met.  "Brother Ephraim, nice to see ya.  How tough was ya morning? Ya want your regular or can I tempt you to some of Brin's latest?"

Sabrina Kurigawa

October 05, 2017, 11:27:33 PM #5 Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:34:56 PM by Sabrina Kurigawa
The 'morning exercise' comment got a blush out of her as she was occasionally a part of that morning exercise and not always just a jog down the block. Her skin flushed a pretty pink from her chest clear up to her hairline and she was just about to pull him in for a heated kiss when the bell above the front door dinged.

Ash was right on time, as usual. He was very reliable and trustworthy like that. Sometimes, though, she wished he'd be a little late. Just once.

The intimacy if the moment passed quickly and Brin worried on her bottom lip at the smirk Jim sent her way, knowing all too well what it usually implied.

She picked up the towel he'd discarded and started wiping down the bar top. "Morning Ash. And thank you. You want a plate?"

Before Ash could respond, one of their regulars walked through the door and Brin grabbed a pint glass to start filling it from the tap for him. "How 'bout you, shepard? You hungry, or just thirsty?" 

F-Word

Quote"Brother Ephraim, nice to see ya.  How tough was ya morning? Ya want your regular or can I tempt you to some of Brin's latest?"

"Had a bit of a flighty morning," he replied. "And I'll take whatever's ready to pour."

Quote"How 'bout you, shepherd? You hungry, or just thirsty?"

At the offer of food, F-Word took a deep whiff. The place smelled celestial. It usually did this time of day. Most times of day, in fact.

"Yes. Yes. A thousand gorram times, yes," he replied, coveting Jim's sandwich. "And what did I tell you about that 'Brother Ephraim' and 'shepherd' go shi?"

James and Sabrina knew he wasn't a real shepherd, and they knew that only those at the abbey called him Ephraim instead of F-Word. They also knew he hated being called "Brother Ephraim." But...they did it anyway because they were getting to be friends and friends did that kind of thing.

As a cover, it wasn't much. But it didn't need to be much. He wasn't so much a wanted criminal as a meh-I'll-take-him-if-you-got-him criminal.

F-Word took a long pull off his beer, licking the foam off his top lip. He turned to Ashmore. "How's tricks, Ashmore?"

Austin Ashmore

-"Morning Ash. And thank you. You want a plate?"

He did. "No." He really did. "Don't put yourself out." He could taste it as she offered it to their first patron. "Well if you're going that way, I wouldn't mind some." His feigned politeness came to an end.  He rubbed his hands at the idea of sinking his teeth into some grub and held a small grin.

He began looking at things around the bar, checking their status in spite of the fact he knew they would all be in order. It was a tactic that made him look busy and avoid the unavoidable social interaction. James had to keep reminding him that it was apart of the job description.

-"How's tricks, Ashmore?"

"Oh," Austin spoke deadpan, "it's a regular whirlwind." He huffed in amusement at himself. "Err," he strained for a conversation point, "I'd be far more interested to here how your day has been?" He asked, trying.

F-Word

October 07, 2017, 07:12:57 AM #8 Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:17:21 AM by F-Word
Quote"Oh," Austin spoke deadpan, "it's a regular whirlwind." He huffed in amusement at himself. "Err," he strained for a conversation point, "I'd be far more interested to here how your day has been?" He asked, trying.

Awkward folk. You had to love 'em. Or at least someone had to.

"Well...I finished converting that shuttle I came to Constance on and obtained through...ahem...totally legitimate means into a crop duster. Should greatly help the abbey with their yield. For my troubles, the brothers and sisters are all questioning my...ahem...unwavering faith in our lord and savior Jesus Christ. Starting to think it's time for this...ahem...shepherd...to seek his salvation elsewhere. You don't need another bouncer around here, do you? I ain't much of a fighter, but I could hold your beer for you while YOU do the fighting." F-Word smirked and clapped Ash on the back to let him know he was kidding.

"Ah, hell. I reckon I'm just going to have to take advantage of the ever tenuous separation of church and state for as long as they'll let me. Then? I don't know what. Lots of folk worse off than me, though, I suppose. You ever seen the bottom of the barrel, Ash?"

Sabrina Kurigawa

After she slid the tall glass of perfectly poured ale to Ephraim, Sabrina gave both him and Ash a smile as she disappeared through the revolving kitchen door. She was back there for about five minutes before she came back out with two more full plates skillfully balanced on one arm and another glass of peach iced tea for Ashmore in her other hand.

She set a plate and the tea down in front of Ash and the second plate went down in front of Ephraim. They each got a roll of silverware too. "There ya go. Dig in."

There were a couple other customers what came in and she stepped away to attend to them.

Austin Ashmore

-"You ever seen the bottom of the barrel, Ash?"

Ashmore was caught speechless as the first few memories to hit him weren't pleasant. Austin held a smile on his face but his eyes betrayed him. None the less he continued with a friendly demeanor. "We've all had our moments." He turned, finding some objects he could move around inconspicuously, then washed a hand over his face releasing a sigh.

Sabrina was there to save him with edible pleasures. It was a successful distraction. "At least I can say I'm looking at the top of the barrel here." He looked to Sabrina and spoke with sincerity, "thank you."

He pulled the plate closer to him and took the drink, placing it behind him on another counter. Then a response to F-word.  "Count the little things. That and the fact we're still breathing."

F-Word

October 09, 2017, 08:00:25 AM #11 Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:19:43 AM by F-Word
F-Word gave a smile and nod of thanks to Sabrina and tucked in to his vittles, dabbing at the tangy sauce that threatened to dribble down his chin with the napkin his utensils were rolled in.

Quote"Count the little things. That and the fact we're still breathing."

"Yeah, you're right," said F-Word. "From that perspective, we're more fortunate than 99 percent of all the people who have ever lived. Still, though. There are big things that are big things for a damn good reason. Like a home. I'd like to get myself on a ship's crew again. Or, and I know this is a long shot...I'd like to get my own piece of land to work. It wouldn't be the same as the ol' homestead, but...it would be something. It would really be something."

F-Word

As F-Word ate his food and drank his beer, he mulled over his predicament. It was just another puzzle to put together. Another solution to a problem.

The facts:

1. The Fiwiescaya farm had been taken from F-Word by the Feds and sold after he'd fled his treason charges during the war.
2. F-Word had been pardoned after the war ended, just like all the other "war criminals."
3. After the war, F-Word returned to find his family farm sold to another family. After a stint working the farm as an employee, F-Word couldn't take it anymore and stole a shuttle off world.
4. The shuttle he stole had originally been part of the farmstead seized from F-Word.

Okay. So. If F-Word had been pardoned, then the Feds retroactively had no right to seize his land. And they certainly had no right to sell it. So...a case could be made that the shuttle he stole was rightfully his to begin with.  More importantly, a case could be made that since they had no right to sell the farmstead, the Feds owed the current tenants their money back and F-Word could return home as the lord and master of the family farm. Hell, with the Alliance trying to save face due to recent events, at the very least it meant that the Feds owed F-Word the value of the farm, minus the cost of a shuttle.

It would be more than enough to buy a ship of his own. Hell, it would be enough to buy a good chunk of land on Constance.

"Holy shit!" he shouted. He looked around at the gathered off-work laborers and barflies. "Anybody know a good lawyer?"

Sabrina Kurigawa

She blushed a little at Ashmore's heartfelt thanks and gave him a nod of welcome. She let the two of them talk a little as she went about her job seating new customers and taking orders.

At Ephraim's outburst she stopped and looked up. Well, that was kind of random, if Sabrina had to say.
"Maybe you should try the cortex, Ephraim?"

F-Word

QuoteAt Ephraim's outburst she stopped and looked up. Well, that was kind of random, if Sabrina had to say.
"Maybe you should try the cortex, Ephraim?"

F-Word realized his faux pas and slunk back onto his bar stool to try and calm himself and stop causing a scene.

"Yeah. Yeah, 'course," he replied, fidgeting. "But my terminal's back at the abbey and I can't go back there right n-" he stopped himself. He'd done enough inviting people into his troubles. "Bah, it can wait at least until after lunch. Sorry, Sabrina. Right shiny eats as always, by the way."

Abigail Archer

October 17, 2017, 06:33:05 PM #15 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:36:31 PM by Abigail
Abigail busted through the front doors like a calf learning how to walk for the first time. Her hair was a bit disheveled and a small line of blood flowed from her nose.  A bruise was starting to form over her right eye and several scratch marks could be seen along her arms.  Needless to say, the woman had been in some kind of altercation. Abigail grabbed a spare napkin in sight and wiped her nose as she took a seat.  There were already  few patrons in the establishment, none that seemed threatening or that would start an unwanted conversation. For now anyway.  A snarl developed on Abigail's lips as she ran her tongue over her gums, tasting the blood inside of her mouth.  She looked down at her hands and stretched them gingerly, currently spattered with blood from the unfortunate souls that had chosen to take her on.  She was leaning forward on the bar with her forearms and raised the one hand not full of bloody napkins with a slight wave off the surface, signaling down the bar staff:

"Tequila, straight up no ice.....and another napkin or two...Please." Abigail wasn't usually one for niceties or manners, but if there was anything she had learned over the past few years, please and thank you can go a long way. Even if they weren't said with a smile.

F-Word

F-Word's stomach turned when he caught a glimpse out of the corner of his eye of the bloody but unbowed woman steadying herself on the bar a few seats over. He compared his pulled pork to the shredded skin of her knuckles and pushed his plate away.

Quote"Tequila, straight up no ice...

It seemed odd to F-Word that someone would specify tequila with no ice. He wondered what kind of sick monster would order a tequila WITH ice.

Quote...and another napkin or two...Please."

"And a bucket," added F-Word. "Please. Whether it's her blood or my puke, one of us will put it to good use."

F-Word wasn't so nauseated that he would let Sabrina's good beer go to waste. He tried to hide behind his pint as he took a big drink and hoped that this snarling woman, who clearly could stomp F-Word's shit in, would ignore him.

Sabrina Kurigawa

Brin grabbed her first aid kit from it's spot behind the bar.  "You puke on my bar and a bucket will be the least of your concerns, my friend." Her tone was teasing in nature, but there was a seriousness behind it. A wast bin was dropped near Ephraim's feet.

Sabrina walked over to the bleeding woman. "As for you, blondie--" She placed the kit on the  bar top. "Go clean yourself up." Brin nodded her head towards the lavatory. "Your drink will be waiting for you when you get back."

The woman's tousled appearance reminded Brin of her days back on the station when she'd been heavily involved in an underground cage-fighting ring. She had James for sparring these days, ever since she lost her baby, she found herself pining for a good beating.

Abigail Archer

""And a bucket," added F-Word. "Please. Whether it's her blood or my puke, one of us will put it to good use."
'

Abigail eyed the man with ferocity and slowly turned back to the waitress. She nodded with thanks and meandered towards the restroom, first aid kit in hand, without a word.  Pushing open the door Abigail grimaced slightly, her knuckles tender from the blows they had just been giving out.  She spit into the sink, the blood and saliva mixture slowing moving towards the drain. Abigail turned the faucet on, and she cupped her hands under the water, bringing the collected liquid to her face. The dirt and blood dripping off and running into the sink. She looked up in the mirror and closed her eyes, letting out a deep breath.  It was in these moments she missed Ronin, Lin...Victoria. Poor Victoria.

The thoughts of her loved ones were brushed back to the depths of her mind, and she came back to the task at hand.  Abigail breathed in sharply as the water ran over her cuts and bruises, cleaning off the remnants of  her most recent skirmish.  She patted down with a near by towel and placed ointment and bandages over the cuts that needed it.  The bruise would just have to live out its hopefully short life. Looking back at the mirror Abigail nodded, satisfied the blood was no longer streaming from her nose. Leaving nothing for the disgruntled patron with the queasy stomach to complain about. Not that she cared, but she just didn't feel like dealing with it. 

This was her life now, collecting debts, winning fights, hunting bounties. Her most recent customer had chosen to skimp on half the payment and tried to run. It had been a simple job, he wanted a tape back from his ex, apparently it contained some sensitive information.  She didn't care the reason, she just wanted her money, and he had deemed the job to easy to receive the full payment.  The white hot anger ran through her again and she gripped the sink, trying to prevent her self from punching the glass in front of her.  There was no sense in destroying the property, the woman had been nice enough, even though her customers left a little something to be desired. Abigail let go and shoved her hands into her pocket pulling out the credits which still had blood on them from her customer. Grabbing a towel she wiped them off then placed them in her wallet.  Abigail threw out the remaining bloody materials she had used to clean her self up and walked out of the restroom back to her seat.  Placing the first aid kit back on the bar she nodded at the woman:

"Appreciate it, apologies for the mess."

F-Word

F-Word understandably wilted a bit under Abigail's ferocious gaze as well as Sabrina's kidding-but-not-joking threat. If either of them decided they didn't want to put up with him, they could both easily put down with him. He gave a meek shrug to both of them as if to say, "Yeah, I know. I'm asshole but I'm a harmless one. Let's just drink and eat."

Once Abigail took Sabrina up on the use of the first aid kit and the lavatory, F-Word allowed himself to exhale. "I don't think she likes me, Sabrina. Don't worry. If she decides to beat my ass, I'll take my ass elsewhere. As fast as I can." He picked up his plate and beer and moved a few more seats down from where Sabrina set the tequila.

When Abigail returned with the kit looking a bit more human and apologized to Sabrina for the mess, F-Word thought about apologizing to Abigail for his weak stomach and poor choice of words. But today he didn't trust himself to make a wise choice of words. Fortunately, there were four magical words that rarely failed to be taken kindly.

"Next one's on me," he said, nodding to Abigail's drink. Only after he said it did he realize she might take it as him coming on to her.