Regarding Joss

Started by HumanHyperbole, February 12, 2021, 08:50:59 PM

HumanHyperbole

I felt compelled to write a statement about the latest allegations (or what I should call revelations given the level of corroboration) levied at the credited creator of Firefly: Joss Whedon. For me there's a feeling of guilt being so passionate about something he didn't just create. In many ways he was his own character within the universe of the show. The meta-story of Firefly was Joss, the fans and the crew, vs the studio, and maybe even the "normies" who weren't immediately sold on a sci-fi western with no central antagonist.

I won't get into the details being shared about working with the man we may have previously lionized. At first I thought maybe the takeaway is that we shouldn't put anyone, especially producers, on a pedestal. But maybe it's simpler. We don't have to account for his mistakes but we should learn from them. Especially men in positions of power. Even people like me who just co-admin what could be one of the oldest contiguous Firefly online communities.

The universe of Firefly was never the sole creation of Joss Whedon. By his own admission the concept was cooked up with a silent partner he's never revealed. The show was developed alongside many other producers and writers, never mind the influence that would have come from the rest of the cast and crew. I don't think we have to feel guilty about loving Firefly, or for even admiring Joss' work. We should just learn from it, and him. Good lessons and bad.