A Note on Interacting With Site Staff

Started by Cortex Mainframe, July 23, 2012, 09:58:36 PM

Cortex Mainframe

July 23, 2012, 09:58:36 PM Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 02:08:15 PM by RUNE
How Not to Treat Administrators
A guide to effective communication with staff members
A documentation by Dun of RPG-D

Staff members are people, too. With that said, when you're addressing official business when a staff member, you generally shouldn't communicate like you're having a casual chat with your buddies. In many cases it's important to make a conscious attempt to be clear, concise and respectful. However, a lot of people make mistakes that can have notably negative repercussions, even if there are no malicious intentions. Here's a list of things not to do when having discussions with administrators, moderators and other staff members of an RPG or other board-based community. Many of these things can apply to your dealings with other members, so keep them in mind!

Do not. . .

1 - Make excuses for your actions.
This is the big one. If an administrator contacts you about a mistake you have made, do not try to justify your ways if you know that you did, in fact, make a mistake. Honestly consider what the staffer has brought to your attention. Taking accountability for your actions will go a long way, and more often than not, you'll benefit greatly from making an honest apology and committing to making an effort to avoid making the same mistake in the future. It's okay to mess up sometimes. Most staffers are more concerned about being able to resolve problems if they arise than being able to avoid all problems completely.

**Please note that making an apology and then adding a "but" does not count as making a real apology. Making excuses after apologizing does not count. "I'm sorry, but-" will not come across well with staffers who are taking the time to carefully consider what you're saying. Do. Not. Do. That. You can explain your train of thought if you think that's necessary, but make it clear that you realize you made a mistake, you are sorry for the inconvenience it has caused, and you are going to make an effort to avoid making the mistake again.

2 - Use improper English.
Do not use chatspeak. Do not throw in a bunch of made-up words, colloquialisms, and other silliness to try to sound amusing or cute. In many cases this will not ease tension, although that may be the intention. By writing clearly, you show the staffer you're dealing with that you are taking them seriously and trying to communicate in a way that will make your points easily understood.

3 - Avoid the point/problem.
No one wants to have their time wasted. In many cases, administrators just want to get their official business done and over with as soon as possible so everyone can go back to having fun and problems can be handled quickly and efficiently.

4 - Be condescending/intimidating.
Even if you think you are being treated unfairly or a staffer is talking down to you, do not disrespect the administration of a game/board. Although you may not like it, the administrators are authority figures. If nothing else, they are human beings. They may make mistakes. They may not have more knowledge than you in general or in a particular area. Rather than attempting to bully or intimidate staffers, show that you deserve to be treated with respect. Follow the golden rule. Communicate like someone who is open-minded, personable, and respectful. In many cases, you will be rewarded for your behavior. In almost all cases, if you choose to be condescending or disrespectful, you will not like the repercussions.

5 - Threaten the staffers.
If you're dealing with a rational, experienced, and high-quality administrative staff, this will get you absolutely nowhere or shoved out the door, so to speak -. The best staffers understand that they need to serve their entire member base, not a few select members. They understand that they need to protect the integrity of their game/board, even if that means losing a member or two. In all likelihood, your leaving will not make their world collapse. Do not expect them to beg you to stay in the game, and do not assume that they will give you special treatment simply because you are expressing that you're upset. If you threaten to do something like hack or otherwise destroy their work, all you should expect is a swift banning.

6 - Lie, lie, and lie some more.
This often falls under #1 making excuses, but if a staffer asks why you've done something or asks for your input, it's often best to be honest. Honesty can get you a long way because it generally causes staffers to think you are trustworthy. Honesty often enables people to trust and respect your opinions. Dishonesty is most likely to put you in a very bad position- especially if you lie about other members. Sometimes staffers might try to get into business that isn't really theirs- and it's okay to keep some things to yourself- but try to be honest whenever possible. If you don't feel comfortable sharing some information with them, just say so. They'll probably be able to respect that.

7 - Be passive-aggressive.
There may very well be nothing quite as offensive to the senses as passive-aggressive behavior. If you don't know what this is, please look it up. A lot of people think statements like, "I roleplay here, too, in case you aren't aware. Thanks," are more likely to handle problems than the more direct, "I feel like I'm not being given the opportunity to get involved as much as I'd like to. Would anyone be willing to thread with me? I have a plotting thread here . . .". Those people are incorrect. If you are passive-aggressive with a staffer, your behavior will likely be considered rude, disrespectful, and likely confusing. Be direct and respectful. Say what you mean in a clear and concise manner, even if you're frustrated.

Most importantly, please do remember that administrators are most often volunteers who offer up their time to help other people and give them the opportunity to have some fun.
Most admins aren't trying to make everyone miserable by being selfish, abusive, and overbearing. Most admins put up with a lot of abuse themselves in order to serve their board's community. They are not required to endure poor behavior from members. They do not have to take on the incredible amount of responsibility that comes along with running a board. It would, in most cases, be a lot easier for them to be regular members, because in that case they could enjoy all of the fun of a game/board and skip all of the staff-related problems, maintenance, and other staff duties. Try to be empathetic or at least sympathetic.

If all else fails, simply dismiss yourself from a game or board if you cannot be happy participating under the authority of an administrative team. There is definitely a place out there for you as long as you're willing to avoid the mistakes outlined above. You may not get along with everyone, but you can get along with an administrative team and have fun somewhere if you try to be respectful and communicate well.

RUNE

While this topic was posted in 2012 and the site's Staff team has changed considerably over the years, it should be noted that we find this guideline as relevant as ever. That stated, the staff here at FS strive to be as open and approachable as possible and we feel these points are mostly for interacting with Site Staff as authority figures - ie. making a request, notifying an Admin or Mod of an ongoing problem, responding to an Admin or Mod's PM regarding violation of a site rule, etc.

This shouldn't be considered a guide to "proper etiquette" when it comes to casual conversation in the shout box, OOC or General Discussion areas, or Discord, where the general rule is simply one where common courtesy and common sense lead to healthy and happy conversation.

I know that I hung on a windy tree nine long nights, wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin, myself to myself, on that tree of which no man knows from where its roots run.
No bread did they give me nor a drink from a horn, downwards I peered; I took up the runes, screaming I took them, then I fell back from there.
The songs I know that king's wives know not Nor men that are sons of men.
So do I write and color the runes.