Chance meeting: A fox and a pixie

Started by Jolene Blaylocke, June 14, 2018, 11:44:28 AM

Jolene Blaylocke

Rapt fascination covered Jo's face as she watched the knives dance as best she could. In a blink, the knives were embedded in the crate he'd been leaning against only moments before. She gave a low, impressed whistle as her eyes moved slowly from the knives back to his face. "If I were staying longer, I'd be asking for lessons I think. I get taken for far younger than I am when I'm not all fancied up like this. A skill like that could be useful..."

The fascination was giving way to what could be called a look of respect at his skills. Part of her felt just a little underwhelmed now at her own performing skills, but she smiled all the same. "You've seen what I usually do. Training for dancing and tumbling takes up a good bit of my time. Though it's nice to get away and just sit sometimes."

Sionnach001

"Aye," he chuckled a bit, "While I can do a bit of tumblin' I surely can't dance, so there's a trade off." he said as he eased his rump back onto the crate.

"Sure, and I'd teach ye if I could most like, but it does take a fair bit of time even if you've got the knack."  he inspected her in a way that didn't make her feel sized up like a piece of meat as men often made her feel.  "Which ye just might. Seein' as ye've got the kind of balance an' agility ye have."

"Still though," he inclined his head as if re-thinking, "I've seen lads who can juggle balls while ridin' a unicycle on a bit of strap who just didn't have the knack for knife smithing. Though most with  your skills and talents usually  have things in their favor."

He looked around, and considered how large the target area of the boxes and the side of the stage wall was and tried to consider exactly HOW badly things could go wrong.  Very he decided, but on the other hand people who thew that far off rarely did so with much force. 

"Tā mā de," he swore, not much caring if she objected to that kind of language, "Wanna give it a try, real quick?"

Jolene Blaylocke

Quote from: Sionnach001 on July 27, 2018, 02:49:17 PM
Wanna give it a try, real quick?"

Jo sat up, dark eyes gaining a glint to them that let on just how interested she was in giving it a try. With no apparent effort, she was off of the crate with a soft landing and a delighted grin lighting up her face. A few quick steps and she was standing beside him, the cloak spinning out and then down around her legs before settling again around her small form. Without a second thought, she pushed the front open and then over her shoulders so her arms were free. She did, however, manage to maintain a little decorum as she waited to be handed a knife rather than reach for it like an impatient child.

"I'd be lying if I said no," she said laughingly as she looked up at him.

Sionnach001

He inwardly couldn't help but appreciate the view but it didn't touch his face.  While he wasn't overly concerned about who might get hurt...alright a little...someone in the crowd getting stuck would draw attention.

He laid the knife point first into the tips over her fingers. 

"Alright," he said businesslike, but not commandingly, "Hold that between your thumb and end pad of your first finger; square your shoulders te the target, and bring the blade up next you ye're ear, blade end first, elbow pointed directly at the target.  Opposite foot stepped out just a wee bit so's you're in a comfortable stance."

Which she did almost precisely. He had to reach out and correct where her hand was next to her ear and brought her elbow up just a few millimeters but she definitely had the right idea.

"Now."  he said encouragingly, still wondering what was going to happen. He'd seen knives doing all kinds of crazy things in the hands of beginners.  He'd been something of a prodigy so he'd at least hit the board he was aiming at, even if the wrong end had hit.  "bring your arm down in a straight smooth motion. You don't have to do it all that hard, just make a straight down sweep. Let it go just above where you're hand is about to cover the target and keep on following through your throw until ye hit your leg." the hitting the leg part wasn't necessary, but it helped beginners.

He took a step way back and behind her, alright.  It's your show, lass

Jolene Blaylocke

Listening carefully, Jo followed his every instruction as closely as she could. If he could see her face, she was clearly absorbing the instruction as if it were a serious matter and not something she was doing simply to try for fun. When he'd stepped back and gave her the go ahead, she didn't fire off with a throw immediately. Inhaling slowly, she went through the instructions twice more as well as trying to picture the outcome she wanted. Then, as she finally exhaled, she gave it her best go.

The resounding metallic clang was more than enough indication that she'd not quite gotten it right as the knife bounced off of the crates they'd been sitting on. Instead of looking and feeling crestfallen, Jo laughed lightly before taking a peek over her shoulder. "I don't think I'll be your best student with that kind of start." The small woman clearly wasn't all that upset about her attempt falling so spectacularly short of her hoped for goal. Instead, she started towards where she'd thought she'd heard the last of the clattering as the blade came to rest.

Sionnach001

Sean nodded a bit, actually a bit impressed as he waled and bent at the knees to retrieve the knife and slip it back into his boot.

"Neh, that wasn't too bad really." he addressed her as he stood back up and turned, "ye hit the crates at least, if not dead on.  I've seen plenty worse...believe me."

He eased back onto the crates, he had nothing else better to do tonight, though he was iffy about hanging out so close to a throng of folk he'd just pilfered from. Then again, who'd suspect a thief to just be sitting and having a chat right around the corner.

Some people he decided, but if it came to that he was sure he could run faster scared than they could angry. Odds are good it wouldn't come to that though or he'd be long gone.

"Alright" he queried, "Fair play an' all, when ye're not weigh layin' lads who are simply mindin' their own affairs, what is it you do for fun?"

Jolene Blaylocke

As he retrieved the knife himself, Jo was almost a little disappointed at not getting a chance to try again. Given her first attempt though, it was probably safer that she didn't given the proximity of so many people. Her luck wasn't likely to hold long enough to not hit someone and do serious harm, which would only draw questions neither she or her new 'friend' would want to face. He probably wouldn't stick around to answer them anyway.

"Fun? The performing and training for it is fun for me." As she spoke, she easily turned a simple cartwheel that was followed just as easily by a similar move, only without her putting her hands on the ground. Her feet landed solidly and she stood only a couple steps away from him. With a smile and a shrug, she side stepped his position and swung herself up onto the crate beside him. "A variety of dance types, often just for a bit of coin folk feel free about offering up for a girl performing in the street."

She breathed not a word about her other 'hobby', which was really more her calling. Luckily, she'd left behind the tools of that particular trade tonight. "Well," she gave him an impish smile. "And the rare times I give local 'borrowers' a hard time."

Sionnach001

Sean chuckled out loud at that last, then reigned himself in a bit. He hadn't actually enjoyed anything in quite a while and he was beginning to relax a bit.   Relaxing was fine sometimes, just not out in the middle of an intersection of streets with someone he didn't really know right next to a horde of people he'd just pilfered from.  He decided to continue the "fun" in a more controlled way.

"Ye know Pixie, lass"  he said with a hint of actual sincerity, "I don't think I was quite fair te ye before. Would ye like an actual knife throwin' lesson, or are ye happy with jest havin' tried it once?"

Jolene Blaylocke

The chuckle from him was counted as a small victory by Jo as she watched him. He seemed to relax a bit, even given their location which made her impish smile grow a little larger. It was the offer at further lessons in throwing his knives that had her perking up and her smile losing all trace of the impishness. Clearly, she was piqued by the skill he'd displayed and keen to learn a little more herself.

He also seemed a little more sincere and less teasing about it. "If you were unfair, it was only returning what was played on you by me. And yes, an actual lesson would be delightful!"

Sionnach001

He bobbed his head back and forth as if considering how to proceed. 

"Alright then, let's give this a proper go then...or at least as close as we can make it." he produced a piece of grey chalk from somewhere on his person; something he always carried as any respectable thief/cat burglar would to mark things but not make it too obvious they had been marked. He then drew a roughly head sized circle on one of the crates about head high.  It was a little dark but still visible enough.

He motioned her over to where he stood about four meters away and slipped a knife into his fingers.

"Alright" he began, "I've shown ye how it goes...now do ye're best to throw these into the circle.  Try to stay calm and not get frustrated.  Takes practice, lots of it."

Jolene Blaylocke

Hoping off of the crates again, Jo watched him make the mark and eyed him slightly. When he waived her over, she looked once more at the mark, noting it was a bit higher than her head and closer to being in line with his. Normally, she'd be irritated but this time she figured if she were learning a skill to use for protection, it was highly likely that she'd be defending herself against someone who would, in fact, be taller than her. Crossing to where he stood, she went back through the instructions he'd given her the first time before putting a hand on one of the knives.

First, she simply felt the weight of the blade in her fingertips, getting a feel for it before taking up the stance. Her eyes focused on the mark, not quite fully visible as she let her mind absorb the feeling of the stance, memorizing it in a way. Then, as she exhaled a breath, she let fly. Same as her first, there was a dull thunk followed by a clattering. For a brief moment, she didn't move save for a slight cant of her head and then she was retrieving the knife and returning. The look on her face was contemplative as she returned to stand beside him and then turned back to face the crates. Again, she went through the instructions in her head, feeling the muscle placement and holding it for memory. Her second throw stuck, only for a moment before the blade surrendered to gravity, handle falling down and pulling the point from the wood.

"How long did it take you to learn?" she asked, again canting her head as she ran through how the muscle movement had felt before going to pick up the knife again.

Sionnach001

Sean tilted his head, not unimpressed, and handed her another blade.

"A fair while, lass.  Don't get discouraged, this is jest your third throw, it takes a bit. I know it's hard te do, but try not to think of the mechanics so much and let everything happen in one fluid movement."

He shrugged and snorted a bit. 

"Of course, the trick is, in all the fluid movement all th' mechanics have to be correct.  Don't worry, like I said, it takes awhile to get the knack of, Ye're doin' fine."

Jolene Blaylocke

Jo offered up a smile at the encouragement, though her mind was still working through how the stance and movement felt on the last throw. He definitely made it look easy when he'd first displayed his skill. Little did he know that the challenge was tantalizing to her.

"I may never master this skill, but maybe, just maybe, I can give someone down the road enough reason to think twice about waylaying me." Taking the proffered knife, she turned and prepared herself again. "At the very least, it will be entertaining to watch. Even if I miss entirely," she almost laughed the last few words, her head shaking at the amusing idea, dark waves shifting over bare shoulders.

Her next attempt was made, though this time she smoothed her movements, trying to make it more like her dancing or typing. Swift and smooth, the blade left her fingers. It stuck, but several inches outside the mark and while the handle dipped again to gravity it remained in the wood. Only just though.

Sionnach001

The thief nodded approvingly.

"Ye're startin' to get there, an' not an entirely bad notion' ye've got but truth t' tell. Throwin' knives are really about the least effective self defense...or offense...weapons ye can use."

He produced another and sank it right along side hers and made it wedge the knife she'd thrown by sinking it in almost to the tang of the blade.

"Now, that wasn't t' show off or make ye feel bad." he remarked as he went to retrieve all three knives, "that was to point out that it takes a long time and unbelievable hours of practice to make these we things of decent use in any kind of fight." he continued as he walked back.

"What with people having thick bones and muscle, walkin' about with armor these days, or just thick clothin' an' the like, ye not only have to be able to throw these light li'l things with force ye also have to be able t' put 'em just where ye want 'em."

Quick as you like he threw three more blades with each word.

"Neck"  thunk just below the head shape he'd drawn.

"Eyes" two more blades appeared in roughly the areas where the eyes would be.

He handed her another knife.

"Hands, groin, feet, and so on. or else ye're wastin' time, breath' and energy best spent on runnin' or lookin' for a good gun."  he winked, "An' those make too mech gorram noise fer my linna work."

Jolene Blaylocke

Jo was again, thoroughly impressed at his skills and for once, she began to second guess her choice of playing a game with him. Still, he hadn't made use of the knives against her, which only added to the quiet thought towards a thief with some honor. It wouldn't be the first time she'd seen something of it in the verse, but he seemed adamant that he didn't have any. His wink prompted a rare shy smile as she gingerly took the blade.

"My thinking was more along the lines of a distraction leaving time for someone small to make a start at escape. As long as you say it took you to perfect, I'll be lucky to have half the skill in twice the time. Especially given the hours I put in practicing my trade." Granted hers wasn't all dance and tumbling, but between those and her time spent on the cortex, she was fairly certain she wouldn't have time to keep up the practice that his level of skill required. It struck her that she was focused on him and she shook her head and took a half step to the side to break the gaze and refocus on the target. She waited for him to step clear of the line of fire and only then did she make another attempt. While it stuck again, it was a little further away this time.

Sionnach001

He eased back a step and let out a wolfish, heh brief and almost uncatchable tho it was, and slid back back across his side of the line.

All business.

"Aye" he considered aloud, "might be handy for a getaway. Ye might also wanna use collapsible, foldible caltrops.  Mech easier to use and throw, and much easier to aim. It's what I use when I take a get out.  Knives are more fun of course, I also use them when I'm kippin and i want to make someone really think twice.

"This time try letting the "head" line circle of the target unfocus to you juusstt before you let go." he handed her another.

Jolene Blaylocke

"Kipping?" she asked, curiosity clear in her voice and face. She took the knife, but kept her eyes on him awaiting an answer. "Not familiar with that term..." she mused aloud. It was an interesting how he seemed to be relaxing more and more around her, even more so now that he was playing teacher. Whatever the reason, she decided she liked it.

"So why didn't you make me think twice, hm? You could have. Easily." Instead of making another throw, she stood there simply holding the knife. Granted, she was treading into an area that could change the mood he was in, but she was curious. He'd had the chance, several really, to put knife to her throat or into her and hadn't. What had stayed him from doing so?

Sionnach001

"Well," he explained, "Kippin' can usually mean any sort of quick movement, but when I say it I usually mean gettin' up onto somethin' or, more frequently, runnin' my pi gu off."

He passed her another weapon.

"For th' other thing.  I;m fairly picky about when I lose and have to replace supplies, especially knives. Secondly, when ye get to throwin' knives at folk they often take it personal like...I know I would. Third, I don't like harmin' folk as a general rule, an' last simply wasn't a reason to be stickin' knives in ye lass.  It wouldn't have solved the problems and I can think of a long list of ways to solve the problem before sharp pointy or loud pointy things come into play."

"Still," he allowed, "They sometimes play an important role in certain proceedings, I just try t' avoid that role as often as possible,"

Jolene Blaylocke

His answer made her feel justified in her earlier statement regarding his being the honorable sort. Inwardly, it made her a touch more confident in the interaction between them. Outwardly, she gave him a nod of her head to one side and a quirk of her lips. "Fair enough." Leaving it at that, she turned her attention away from him and back to the target and practice.

She'd almost continued on, knowing what it was like to lose items that were important to ones trade. There were more times than she could count that she'd lost chips and boards for her pet projects, though she had some ideas as to where a few had disappeared. Sighing heavily, she returned her focus to throwing the knife in her hand. Again, she was able to stick the blade and this time, she tried letting the target go out of focus as he'd suggested and landed the blade just along the line of the target. Perking up at the minor success, a delighted smile brightening her face.

Sionnach001

Sean grinned a bit at her success.

"Aye, ye're gettin' it."  he enthused lightly,  "It'll take a wee bit before you get to where you're doin' that natural like...losin' yourself in the motion and the mechanics and not thinkin' so much about it...if ye like I can leave ye two or three of 'em to practice with, and two or three caltrops which will be more practical."

He handed her another blade, he had plenty on him, and he was certainly keeping track.