Season 1: Ep 0 - Reborn in Fire

Started by Lomari, October 20, 2019, 03:00:30 PM

Mylena Yee

The others seemed to be willing to take the job so Mylena nodded.  She had never done any type of bounty hunter work before, but she wasn't opposed to it.  And truthfully, she would have agreed to most any kind of work if it kept the crew together.  Her hand moved under the table, giving Newt's hand a small squeeze before reappearing again.

"So first order of business is to find transport to the planet, get some information on the man we need to capture and then come up with a plan to do so. I assume we are to bring him back alive?"

She looked at Travis for a moment, head tilting slightly, "Or is it more than one, hence why you can not do the job alone?"
Pale death visits with impartial foot, the cottages of the poor and the castles of the rich.

Travis Chao

Travis listened. They all seemed to agree then. In concept.

"Yes. A hunt. And a capture. And yes, more than one." He handed his comm over to Minato. "Six of them. Not hard core killers or what have you, but they might turn to it if they feel trapped, and not particularly overwhelmed."

Travis didn't figure Minato could get the information himself. It was on his supposedly secure Bounty Hunter Channel, and further restricted to his employer's wave to him. Of course he had no idea of the man's capabilities.

"And yes, transport is the first and large difficulty, normally I'd hire something and a couple folk to back me up. Which tends to be expensive given most folk don't want to risk a vehicle for something might not produce a profit. So get a ride down to the planet, shuttle, or hire a hover."

"I figure a little subterfuge with Miss Mylena and Mr. Minato walking up all innocent like and getting close to them. They'd be holed up in a little cabin out in the bush, the uh, Jungle-wood they tend to call it. Typical place used for folks hiding out in these parts I understand. Sort of a off the grid trading post and hide-a-way. Luke and I sneaking in to take them by surprise. Shuttle flies in just then."

He turned to face Mylena. "And yes Miss, the idea is to take them alive. Like I said, they ain't killers as of yet. And doing this just right keeps them from becoming that, gets the bail money their folk and our employer put up. And less to answer to after we meet our maker. Point is to deliver them to stand a for a judge as they promised when the bail was posted."

"And there might be other folk there got no business being shot for being with the wrong people, in the wrong place, n'the wrong time."

"When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or person, don't be surprised they learn the lesson."

Jax

October 26, 2019, 09:27:54 PM #22 Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 09:36:47 PM by Jax
[DOCKING RING]

Jax gladly exited the cramped transport happy to finally arrive at Greenleaf Skyplex. He took a good deep breath thinking it sure was nice to get his lungs full of air that had the correct percentage of oxygen. Not that the Station's artificial atmosphere was anything to boast about, yet much improved over old rust bucket there shrinking away behind him as he joined the sea of moving people.

The first part of his idea had worked, now for the next...find Ronin. Jax had recent knowledge that the ship was here along with his estranged Captain. Ronin shouldn't be hard to miss, but for some reason after a good bit of searching he couldn't see hide nor hair of her. Jax stopped at a brightly lit dock map kiosk. He scrolled his index finger over each numbered section which would blink to show ship name or open....nothing... He mumbled.

Moving toward a Dock Worker station he hoped someone there might have some insight to where Ronin might be. The thought did start to creep in that maybe the intel he received was incorrect or weeks old. As Jax walked up an aged gentleman tapping away on a CompPad took notice of him. "Can I help you Sir?" Jax with the biggest grin jumped on the chance. "Yes you can....well I hope. I'm looking for a big Slammer Class ship, goes by the moniker Ronin?"

The gray haired man thought for a bit..."Yes Ronin it was here, let me check." He glanced down at the screen strapped to his left hand and began tapping away. "Uh-huh, yes....okay...uh huh" Jax waited as he scrolled through the information growing impatient he cut in..."So, anything?" The man looked up..."Oh yes, Ronin pulled out earlier today, but oddly enough she left a good portion of her crew behind. Says here Skyplex Control recommended them to this establishment for lodging." He tilted the screen for Jax to see.

[THE EATERY]

It took Jax some time, along with what seemed like a million questions, and a few palm-greasings to at last track down Ronin's crew. He entered and headed for the bar slowly glancing around the place...not too busy inside... always a good thing for finding folks... he mused. Spotting a group of five people would stand out for sure and so it did. It had been awhile since he graced Ronin with his presence so he highly doubted he would know any of them, Ronin did have quite a revolving door when it came to crew.

Jax took a seat at the bar as he reasoned the best way to approach them. "Barkeep, I'll have a Saké." He scanned the reflection in the mirror behind the bar. There were only three other patrons seated at what might have been a twenty stool counter. When his drink arrived he stopped the Barman..."That booth over there..." Jax delicately motioned in there direction. "I'd like to buy them a pitcher of your best Ale...better yet make that two, and tell them it's from a friend of Ronin." Jax knocked back the Saké and waited for luck to work it's magic.

Minato Kaneshiro

Minato didn't show much of an emotional reaction to Mr. Chao's response. He just simply took in everything the man said analyzing it for the best way to approach this. He looked over to Mylena to see how she may be reacting to this before looking back to Mr. Chao. Minato took a few bites from his bao bun and responded, "So basically Mylena and I are going to draw them out and serve as distractions?" Minato wasn't used to doing jobs in remote locations though. He spent very little time dirtside even as a child, so he hadn't been in the wilderness often. Minato turned to Mylena, "I'm not the best with social situations so I'll leave the conversation part up to you. I may just muddle things up."

Mylena Yee

Mylena gave Minato a reassuring smile. "Do not worry, all will be well." Her eyes, however, were focused on the newcomer at the bar.  If Newt were less secure with their newly formed relationship the way she was studying the man might make him jealous. Evaluating potential threats was what she had been trained to do though. The restaurant wasn't very busy and she'd caught him watching them in the mirror. She hadn't done anything yet, but she already had a plan in mind to eliminate the threat to her crew should it become necessary, re-positioning herself slightly so she could clear the table without difficulty.

Pale death visits with impartial foot, the cottages of the poor and the castles of the rich.

Newt Declan

October 27, 2019, 07:13:43 AM #25 Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 07:31:33 AM by Newt Declan
Newt's small stature tends to make those  who don't know him, assume that he's no threat, that he couldn't possibly be educated or trained in more than circus tricks.

Luckily as it were he was amongst friends and those who knew him. He'd caught glimpses of Mylena, scanning the room a few times. Made him feel safe knowing that. It wasn't until much later that he was able to finally pick up on what she was looking at.

Intertwining his pinky around hers under the table and leaning a little closer. "Are we okay? Is it that new fella over there?

Newt, might not have been trained like the beauty beside him, or his Gunhand friends. But as a pilot he had to be observant.
His hand dropped to his waist retrieving the item,sliding it discreetly to Mylena.
"Collapsed baton for the lady. I think I have an idea too.

Motioning to the waitress he pulled out a few small credits from his pocket. "Miss my buddy at the bar there,well it's his Birthday today. He thinks we forgot and is a little sore about it. Was wondering if maybe you had some pie or something to cheer him up."

Luke OMalley

Luke wasn't the most perceptive bloke in the bar. He wasn't blind either. Mylena and Newt had noticed something that put them on edge, and while Luke had no intention of swinging his head from side to side like a great creature of the savanna in an attempt to locate this source of distress, he didn't entirely take a back seat either. One large hand, knuckles scarred and showing signs of having been broken in the past, reached onto the table and picked up a butter knife and began to roll and twirl it about his fingers in an old street tough's trick. It looked like an act of subconscious idleness. And while a butter knife was far from a threatening tool, any short piece of steel with Luke's muscle behind it was a deadly weapon.

As Newt spoke up to the approaching server Luke kept his clap shut, not following, but not wishing to interrupt whatever plans the sharp pilot had in mind. To pass the time he turned his gaze back to Travis. "When you want them alive how you think we do that eh? We point our guns at em, say, its a stick up, an what? Hope they say 'aight? Whatif dey run? Mor've them than us. They split six ways we got us a hike to findem, if we findem. Or you think we inca- capat. Knockem about a touch first, so runnin' int likely?" Luke, as it turned out, lost a lot of his thick Glasgow accent when he lowered his voice and spoke coy like. "I's gots som of them beanbag shots for me shorty. Theys hurt something fierce. Maybe break bones if yer too close. But less I pop sommen in the throat they'll be 'aight in a time."

Travis Chao

October 29, 2019, 12:36:05 PM #27 Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 02:37:48 PM by Travis Chao
Travis addressed Minato's question about he and Mylena being distractions. "Not so much distraction as , uh disconcertin'. No offense but the twos of you don't strike most as a serious threat. Mylena can do her 'up close and personal introduction' she shown Mr. OMalley, and I conjure you could work some sort of electronic disabling device for up close?"

And then...
Everyone seemed be getting the hairs up on the backs of their necks. Travis didn't hide his interest, he turned to get a look at the cause at the bar. The man there didn't seem a threat, maybe nosey, or just sizing up the room himself; but if his new posse was piqued, that was good enough for him. His response was less subtle. Sitting on the end of the U-shaped booth, with his right side exposed, he lowered his right hand and undid the little loop that held his pistol in place.

It would have been hard to miss if anyone was watching. The message was simple enough.
Travis didn't miss a beat in the conversation.

"To start we use that well worked phrase," He attempted a little tight in the butt central world diction, " 'you are bound by law'. Anyone on our list of six is require to surrender, otherwise lethal force by a licensed bounty man, their employed, or federated lawman is permitted. They learn that when they get their bail release. So, they know."

"And I do prefer the non-lethal methods, and the bean-shot would be ideal. But make no mistake. Any danger to our folk getting hurt we do what we have to. As for them skedadlin' They won't go far."

Of course his last endeavor chasing after a bounty into the wood of Greenleaf did not go well, he figured not to let his comm and GPS go. Nor mention that little misadventure. Besides:
"We'll have Declan airborne."

'Best be clear' he figured.

"And by what 'we have to do'. That's shoot to kill. Best be understood we got to have that in our heart. Cause if they understand that. They go for surrender."

The waitress brought two pitchers of ale. The message however didn't quite survive, "Fella at the bar said it's from a friend of Ronnie." She shrugged.

At the same time the bartender put down a piece of coconut cream pie in front of Jax with a little birthday candle on it, lit the candle and pointed to the booth.

"When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or person, don't be surprised they learn the lesson."

Jax

October 29, 2019, 06:13:45 PM #28 Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:21:07 PM by Jax
Jax procedured another Saké as he watched the booth from the bar mirror waiting for his drink order to arrive. The mirror as good as it was to hide his snooping, didn't afford a clear view of everyone. Taking a chance he casually spun his bar stool around eyeing up the room, his peripheral vision was locked on the booth.

Jax was not surprised to find he had been made by a few of them, he would have to make his move sooner than later. It was about then he caught sight of the one on the end easing off his pistol catch. "Oh that can't be a good sign." He thought. The possible imminent gunplay was staved off by the barmaid delivery of ale.

Almost instantaneously the bartender brought Jax a piece of coconut cream pie topped with a small blue and white birthday candle, the barkeep lit the candle and as the small flame flickered to stay alive he pointed to the booth. Jax turned toward the booth and gave a nod of his head in thanks. Turning back to the small confectionery with the dancing flame, Jax made a wish and blew out the candle. "I like them already."

Jax advanced toward the booth with pie in one hand, his drink in the other, trying his best to appear nonthreatening. "Well thank you friends of Ronin for remembering my special day." He wasn't sure if he should mention Ronin outright but there is was. "I am Jason Aaron Xavier, most just call me Jax....friend and foe alike." He looked the party over trying to make a quick judgement of who might be in charge. "I used to pilot Ronin, a few years ago now....may I join you?" Ronin's ex-pilot waited for a reply as the candle began to slowly topple over in the pie's creamy topping.

Mylena Yee

The slender Asian woman was too fast to let the candle actually hit pie.  She had moved, grabbed the candle and returned to her seat almost too fast for the eye to track.  She might have been showing off a little, but if the man was watching her, he wasn't watching Travis and Luke.  She sat back in her seat looking rather pleased with herself, licking the whipped cream off the end of the candle. One eyebrow raised slightly. She finished and inclined her head slightly. "Hello Jax." Nothing more, nothing less, this wasn't her rodeo after all.

Travis Chao

Travis started to get up, slow and easy so as not to startle the man. Jax had come over with both hands full, but that cut no favor for Chao. Still, it was polite and at least a good start.

Before he was half slid out of the booth Mylena had reached across the table and snatched the candle. Travis stopped, said 'gorram' to himself, impressed by her speed. Made a note to not curse even in his thoughts, but still. She didn't need to learn the rifle, she needed to learn a fast draw. That'd be scary.

He stood, finally, and motioned with his left hand for Jax to take his seat. "Please." Then Travis slid around behind him, got a chair. He gave a look to Mylena and his eyes darted to the door and bar. 'watch my back' was his unstated intention.

Once Jax sat, Travis did. The man probably realized Chao wanted him at a disadvantage. Travis sat with the back of the chair toward the table. He straddled it, left hand on the back of it, right hand on his leg. Yes, his eyes said, close to the gun. An effort to look relaxed, he was more like a coiled rattler.

He looked at Jax. The 'get to it look', not the 'I'm thinking of shooting you' look. Not yet.

"So Mr. Xavier." At this point Travis considered himself neither friend or foe. "You have business with us, or just a friendly say hello seeing as we likely have mutual friends."

Jax

October 31, 2019, 03:42:43 PM #31 Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:46:22 PM by Jax
Jax watched in amazement as the energetic and quite graceful Asian woman snatched the candle from the pie without even disturbing his hand. His eyes fought to keep up with her aerobatic maneuver, finally catching up as she landed in her seat. Jax would be lying if he didn't admit to being impressed, the candle lick at the end was a nice touch....he found it hard to look away. "Hello Jax."...she added. The only response he could muster was a quick wink before the Gunhand spoke up.

"So Mr. Xavier....You have business with us, or just a friendly say hello seeing as we likely have mutual friends."

Jax slid the pie onto the table as he took a sest..."Thank you..." Before he started he knocked back his drink and began to refill his glass with ale. "Anyone else need a refill while I'm at it?" The ale formed a perfect head right to the rim of the glass, he spoke as he poured. "Well I came looking for Captain Kuei and Ronin, but alas it seems I am a bit too late." Jax took a sip of the brew, it left a slight line of suds on his upper lip. Clearing it off with the back of his off hand he continued. "I did hear he left some crew behind so I figured what's the harm in tracking you down, maybe you can shed some light as to his whereabouts?"

Travis Chao

'Not unreasonable. And he name dropped just enough to clarify acquaintance.' Chao considered where to go as Xavier sipped his ale. He saw no reason to tell the stranger they had no clue as to where or why Ronin and its Captain had left them. They had been compensated for their time and their time to pursue other interests.

"Captain Kuei is not one to make his plans known to those they do not concern." Xavier could take that as he pleased, depending on how well he knew the Captain of Ronin and its mission. Rather Travis meant Jax or them didn't matter. It let him know that if they knew his plans, which they did to some extent; they would not be telling him.

And that they had something of value if he had other business, discretion.

Travis was curious as to what Jax could offer. He seemed to be fishing. Did he have a ship? But letting their tentative designs be known would be premature. Be vague, but how vague?

"We're having a few drinks and some dinner soon. Get some rest. Going dirtside later."
He looked over his new gathering of acquaintances, though they already seemed a bit more than that. Did he speak for them? Should he be? They needed a ride. They needed to be looking for a ride. Does this man have a ride?

One they want?

Minato Kaneshiro

Minato gave Mylena a brief smile after her reassurance as he went back to his meal. As Jax walked up, Minato stayed reserved studying him as he speaks to the rest of the crew. He pulled out his data pad and started to browse the Greenleaf cortex chatter. There was always something going at Greenleaf, some kind of drama. This was his form of entertainment and a little bit of a guilty pleasure. Minato poured himself an ale, browsed the cortex, and listened to the group.

Mylena Yee

Men.  Leave it to them and they'd spend all evening trying to figure out whose dick was bigger. She wasn't much one for subtlety.  "You're information is solid, in the fact that Captain is gone and we are still here.  So the question is Jax, are you looking for a way off this station?  Or are you looking for a job?  Or did you just want to find the Captain so you can catch up?  Maybe paint each others nails?" She canted her head slightly, looking him up and down unabashedly.  This man could either help them or he couldn't.  The nails of her left hand drummed lightly on the table, barely audible, but the tune unmistakable as 'Don't waste our time.'

Jax

"Captain Kuei is not one to make his plans known to those they do not concern." The hardened Gunfighter responded. "We're having a few drinks and some dinner soon. Get some rest. Going dirtside later."

Jax smiled at the leather faced man, he wasn't sure if he was about to get shot or be life long buddies. "Nice to hear old Captain Lin hasn't changed much." He figured he would skip the tale of Kuei kicking him off Ronin, didn't want to throw up any warning flags unnecessarily. Before he could tackle the last part of Travis' comment the acrobat jumped in....

"You're information is solid, in the fact that Captain is gone and we are still here.  So the question is Jax, are you looking for a way off this station?  Or are you looking for a job?  Or did you just want to find the Captain so you can catch up?  Maybe paint each others nails?"

Jax glanced down at his nails before redirecting his eyes in her direction. "Nice, right to the point...she's a keeper." He addressed that last point to all gathered at the booth. "Always interested in a job.... who isn't?" He took a long gulp of ale then continued. "I do have my own transportation, though for a limited time, but I'm looking to trade up."

Newt Declan

"You're information is solid, in the fact that Captain is gone and we are still here.  So the question is Jax, are you looking for a way off this station?  Or are you looking for a job?  Or did you just want to find the Captain so you can catch up?  Maybe paint each others nails?"

Some might have heard these words and immediately jumped to some conclusion or made up their mind on the spot about the young lady speaking. But for Newt,he smiled,as big of a smile his face cold make. She's finding her own voice,he thought to himself, which just made him smile that much more.

"Nice, right to the point...she's a keeper." Newt's smile didn't change at the newcomers words,however for anyone taking notice of his eyes they were stone could serious. "That she is."

"I do have my own transportation, though for a limited time, but I'm looking to trade up."
The thought of a ship did snag Newt's attention but he didn't let his face show one hint of it. "Glad to see your nails dried and you're ready to actually discuss things of interest."

Travis Chao

The girl had grit.

And she could break his arms and legs faster than he could count them.

And Jax had given up enough information. Jax knew Kuei, though Travis Chao wasn't sure that was an entirely positive endorsement. And he had the one thing they needed to keep on their own two feet, transportation.

"We do have a need for some transportation. And we have work. Completely legal." Though that likely might not matter to a former associate of Lin Kuei. "Tomorrow," Chao considered that, time on the station wasn't exactly in sync with where they needed to go. Anyway, "Well, 48 hours at least. We need transport." He looked around the table at his associates. They were close to looking for some, and now it had fallen in their lap. They were probably all a little suspicious of coincidences, but then taverns were where folk went to link up for this kind of work, more so on a space station he figured.

"I would guess if the transport and the job meet each other's minimal ... expectations, we should talk about how to make something, . . Mutually beneficial." Didn't that sound all negotiating like?

Travis felt like some city slicker selling and buying a used four wheeler. Hopefully someone knew how to kick the tires of whatever transport the man had. "Shall we figure out how to be all mutually beneficial.. Jax?"

Mylena Yee

She let Travis conduct business.  It was his job after all, that made him boss. Maybe not Captain, since he didn't have a ship, but definitely Bossman in her eyes. And they were staying together as a crew so she was pleased.

She busied herself with ordering dinner and eating when it arrived, but she truly paid more attention to Newt.  Making sure that he had everything he needed, just in reach.  The others in the crew may not have entirely realized that she and Newt were a thing, they had only been on Ronin a short period of time after all, but there was no doubt as they shared dinner that the petite woman was completely devoted to him. The intimate way she sat so close, the way she leaned in closer to exchange a private word, the way they shared from one another's plates.

That didn't mean she ignored the others.  She was quite intently following the mutually beneficial conversation while making sure glasses remained full and that the others at the table ate if they wished.  It was a strange thing how she went from being outspoken and bold to demure and servile, but she was still learning who she was.