S1E0 - Preparations To Launch

Started by Desertpuma, June 19, 2018, 10:32:17 PM

Desertpuma

It had been an unexpected call from the Companion's Guild for Elena. It was insisted she meet at Avalon Harbor for a matter of importance. The harbor was a port outside of the city center and used more for personal craft than anything. So it was a bit unusual to see a mostly clear dock, a large ship and two individuals, one who was familiar to her, awaiting her arrival.

The woman waiting for her was Charlotte Bruce, a prominent member of the Companion Guild hierarchy. She was dressed in a simple and elegant white dress adorned in a simple crimson sash with a brooch denoting her importance in the Guild. Her reputation for her appearance was certainly upheld.

Accompanying her was an impeccably dressed man in what Earth-That-Was would refer to as a tuxedo. As Elena arrived, he briefly rubbed his hands together and then clasped them behind his back. Both their manners could easily be described as patient but desirable to conclude the meeting.

"Miss Marseille, my name is Richard Court of The House. Pleased to make your acquaintance." He stepped forward to gently ask for her hand and then kissed the back of it. "I believe you know, Miss Bruce."

"Elena and I are aware of each other. Pleased to meet you in person." Charlotte gave the female Companion a warm smile and a brief hug. Charlotte turned and gestured to the ship before returning her eyes to Elena. "There has been some discussions between our two organizations and, combined with some investors, we have elected to send a ship from the Core to circle through the five systems. It will be starting here in Londinium and proceed out to the Rim before returning. The task will involve in creating and growing new business. Dong ma?"

"To this end, we have acquired an Exeter class vessel and had it fitted to our standards. The House will require games of chance be run on regular intervals at stops along the journey. The Companion Guild will require services to be rendered during this time." He produced a device and triggered the cargo bay doors to open. Gesturing toward the ship, he let the two Companions walk in front of him as he continued speaking and followed them on board.

"There are four levels to this ship we have named The Allure. The aft cargo bay area is fitted with storage for gambling tables but this main cargo area can carry any regular cargo as needed. The next deck up is primarily for passengers per the original plans but, given our intention, it is expected half the berths will be for crew. The top deck contains a shuttle for use as needed and the main deck is for most of the crew including your cabin."

Keying off of Elena's look, Charlotte quickly spoke up. "The Guild has requested you take the role of Captain for The Allure along with your other duties. All beds, linens and equipment are new. The kitchen is top of the line with intention a chef equal to using it is hired. The lounge areas are done in oak and leather. There is even an onboard garden for fresh vegetables. Additional food supplies can be stored in the main deck cargo hold."

Richard Court had been patiently standing behind both women as Charlotte had expanded on more of how the ship was fixed up to be more luxury in its interior. He calmly pulled out an envelope with some papers in it along with the device he had used to open the cargo bay door. Holding them behind his back, he watched Elena and waited for a brief moment. "You would be fully in charge and responsible for anything that happens on board."

A smile came across Charlotte's face. "Please tell me your silence is because you are stunned at the situation and not because you have no interest. Elena, would you like the honor of being the Captain of The Allure?"

Elena

A thousand possibilities had run through Elena's mind on the ride to Avalon Harbor, and yet none of them had come near this unexpected opportunity presented to her. She had been a little surprised, albeit pleased, to see Charlotte Bruce. Every member of the Companion's Guild knew who she was and to be graced with a visit from her was quite the honor. Not wanting to make her and her companion wait, Elena hurried closer, blue gaze scanning the mostly empty dock with clear curiosity written across her porcelain features.

The skirts of her deep blue gagra choli ensemble rustled around her legs with every stride she took in their direction, a gentle breeze rustling the matching dupatta scarf that hung loosely across her chest and over a shoulder, it's silver embroidery glittering in the light. Her crystalline gaze slid curiously over the gentleman, not sure she knew who he was just yet. A hand rose to smooth over her perfectly arranged dark waves before she stopped before them, a warm smile blooming to life across her painted lips.

"Miss Marseille, my name is Richard Court of The House. Pleased to make your acquaintance. I believe you know, Miss Bruce," the man greeted with a charming kiss of her hand. Elena nodded her head in greeting and offered him a pleasant smile, "A pleasure to meet you Mr. Court," she murmured as he kissed the back of her hand. What a charmer he was.

"Elena and I are aware of each other. Pleased to meet you in person," Charlotte greeted, and Elena was more than happy to return the hug, the affection in her gaze bright and genuine. "It's an honor," she returned honestly, falling silent to listen to the reason she'd been called out here so suddenly. When asked if she understood, she lowered her chin a little in a brief nod. She understood but she didn't quite see what they needed her for.

Her attention slid back to Mr. Court when he continued the pitch, however her attention was quickly drawn to the opening cargo bay doors. Elegantly arched brows rose curiously but she moved forward as asked, walking with her fellow Companion into the curious ship. Elena turned her head to stare at the man at the mention of 'her cabin' before she glanced back toward Charlotte for an explanation. Luckily, the Companion was quick to provide her with one.

At the mention of their wanting her to be the captain of The Allure, Elena lifted her hand and settled it over her heart, her expression equal parts amazement and interest. She listened to the upgrades and amenities the ship had to offer, her gaze sliding between Mr. Court and Charlotte.

"I-" she began, her voice soft and her eyes wide. "Oh," the Companion breathed out, finding herself a little overwhelmed but absolutely thrilled at the idea of it all. Not wanting to jump into it too quickly and seem foolish, Elena turned away for a moment to look deeper into the ship, her hand still over her heart as though she could muffle the excited fluttering beating against her chest. This was quite the responsibility to be offered, quite the marvelous adventure. To be on the edge of cutting new industry and to find oneself in command... Elena exhaled to center herself.

When she felt that she was appropriately calm, she turned back to Charlotte and smiled brightly, "I was just a little stunned, I assure you," she told her, not wanting to think she was displeased or disinterested. Another moment of thought passed before she nodded curtly, "I would be thrilled to accept this position and I thank you wholeheartedly for allowing me this grand opportunity," she told them both. "May I make some recommendations for certain members of the crew?" she asked curiously.

Desertpuma

Richard Court, while cordial, evidently had more on his mind. "Just so things are understood. The House views this as a money making opportunity. We do not invest poorly. We expect results. As part of our organization is funding this venture, we require one of our own to be on board. This House member will control the gambling portion and see it is handled appropriately." He remained standing a few feet back with his hands clasped behind his back.

Charlotte stepped closer to Elena as she spoke. "You were selected for a number of reasons. Mr. Court is correct in his statements and this needs to be looked at as a business venture. However, you will have some say as to crew .. providing they pass inspection of course. Your judgment will be necessary and they should be willing to take orders from you as the Captain. If all is agreed, then I think we can leave the beginnings of The Allure in your hands." She nodded to Court.

Richard Court stepped forward and revealed the things he had hidden behind his back. "These papers contain the routes, scheduled times to relay messages to inform as to the progress of the ship, the codes for your own office safe and expected amount of revenue as theorized by all investors. This device is the only universal lockdown item to seal the ship or open any compartment on it. Choosing to share it is up to you. Any questions?" He placed them in her hands before taking a step back.

Charlotte interrupted once more as if to finalize everything. "Elena, many are watching the progress of The Allure. It is a calculated gamble. The first hop is a short one and involves ferrying a squad of Alliance officers to the moon of New Luxor. Should only take a day or two at most to complete. Move quickly as they are expected to be here in one week's time for the journey. Bon chance!" With a quick smile followed by a brief half-bow, Richard Court and Charlotte Bruce seemed to disappear leaving Elena Marseille holding information and keys to a new Exeter ship with a purpose.

Elena

June 20, 2018, 08:30:39 PM #3 Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:52:13 PM by Elena
Elena nodded somberly in response to the information presented to her. She completely understood the need to have a representative on board to keep an eye on and run things to the House’s liking and she was more than prepared to fulfill the duties they both expected of her. Elena was nothing if not professional and reliable. Her gaze lowered to the offered envelope and device and she held her hands out to receive them, her brows raised curiously.

“No, thank you, you’ve been very thorough,” she answered, smiling softly and looking down at the envelope in her hands. If she had any questions she'd be sure to send them an immediate wave. Their first hop was the perfect kind to get their new crew acclimated to the ship and to test run the ship itself as well as to ensure that the crew could get along well together. “Thank you,” she said again, watching them leave her to her work. Elena looked around the interior of the ship before heading deeper in. She had a lot to do.

——

The next day Elena was able to send in her recommendations as well as look over those who the Guild and the House had presented for potential crew members, picking and choosing who she thought would be the best fit for their ship. She had invited the resident physician at her training house, Brenna Casey, called in an old friend Damien Riggs to work his magic in the kitchen, and had met with and hired Benjamin Street to be a pilot and the ship’s XO. She’d also had an unexpected comp tech show up at the ship’s front door, having been hired without Elena’s knowledge. Another day passed and Brenna and Elena arrived at the ship first to spend a couple of days preparing and taking stock of the ship.

She had planned to spend a few more days getting used to The Allure before calling in Benjamin to come in, but Jesse had come and surprised them all with her unexpected presence. So, Elena called Benji in a day or so early, sending him a wave as well as a complete list of their upcoming crew, the ship’s specs and the details of their first job. After giving him a couple of days to acclimate to the ship on his own, the Companion called in the rest of the crew, eager to get the ship in order and set out on their first jump. There were two days left before the officers were to show up and Elena planned to use that time to get to know the crew and inform them of what she, the House, and the Guild expected of them.

As it was, Elena stood near the open cargo bay doors looking out toward the dock, her hands clasped behind her back and a thoughtful look playing across her features. The rest of her crew was set to arrive today and while she was excited, she’d have been lying if she said she wasn’t a little nervous. The breeze filtered in to the cargo hold, rustling her long cream skirt, the gold embroidered top synched around her waist and leaving a little sliver of skin exposed. Her hair was pulled up in an intricate undo, held in place with gold pins and flowers. The ship’s preparations were complete, but she still needed her crew and to get them used to their posts aboard the Allure.

[Referenced Prologues: An Alluring Escape, Movement Is Life, and Rose Doctor]

Benjamin Street

Ben had only been aboard for a few days, but he was already in love. The Exeter Class Large Transport was a solid design. Her maneuverability was great for her class, thanks to her 4 rotating engines. Her cruise speed was a bit slower than most, but at hard burn she could move at a pretty good clip. Even with out all the fancyness that The Guild and The House had installed Ben would have loved the ship.

He'd spent most of the first day in the cockpit getting use to the controls, setting a few fail-safes, and learning the system interface. The majority of the second day had been spent in the engine room, checking, double checking, taking things apart, and putting them back together. It was always good for a pilot to have an idea just how hard he could push the throttle without causing damage. The last bit of day two, and most of the night, had been spent up in the hanger bay with the shuttle. A shiny Morgan XL, just like the one Ben had in storage on Persephone. He'd torn nearly everything in it apart, installed a fail-safe, and hadn't finished putting it all back together until the early hours of the morning.

He had been so consumed with the ship that he'd had to force himself to take the time to meet and talk some with the two crew that were already on board. He'd been pleased to meet Doc Brenna. She was friendly enough, though a bit quiet, but there was something about her that he found immediately endearing.

Jesse was their computer tech. She was friendly, and definitely cute, but something about her kept setting off warning bells in his head. He couldn't figure out why though. Her file seemed legit as far as he could tell, which wasn't saying much, but he'd be keeping an eye on her once they got in the air.

He awoke on day 3, after only a few hours of sleep, but today was the day the rest of the crew was supposed to show up. As XO he figured he had better there with Elena to meet them, so he drug himself out of bed. He dressed in jeans and a T shirt, slipped one knife into his boot and sheathed two more on his belt, pulled on his boots and headed for the kitchen. He needed coffee, and lots of it.

He made an extra large pot, poured a large mug, and set the rest to warm. Then thought better of it, poured a second cup, and headed towards Doc Brenna's room.

Her door was open, so he knocked on the door frame to announce himself before moving to stand in the doorway. "Morning Doc. Coffee?" He said, indicating the mug in his left hand as he took a sip from the one in his right.

Karyn Wychovski

June 20, 2018, 11:30:19 PM #5 Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:14:56 PM by Karyn Wychovski
Karyn approached the Allure and shifted her grav locker to follow along behind her. She ran her hand through her tousled blonde mop of hair, fighting briefly with one tangle. She just had received the contract for piloting the Allure and just told to "Contact Elena Marseille for placement."

As she came up to the cargo ramp, she saw a woman standing at ease at the entrance.

"Excuse me. I'm looking for Ms. Marseille. I received a contract to pilot the Allure from the Companions Guild. My name is Karyn Wychovski."

Brenna Casey

June 20, 2018, 11:56:09 PM #6 Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:31:17 AM by Brenna Casey
Settling in was going to take a little while, though unpacking would take far less longer. Brenna had been right about setting foot on board a ship again stirring up memories, but not nearly to the extent she'd expected. There were, of course, other distractions ongoing and that was keeping her busy and was likely keeping the memories at bay. Once the ship was underway, she wondered whether or not it would remain that way.

She'd had several days to actually unpack, but had been putting it off and knew she shouldn't have. Having risen early, she had showered and dressed, opting for layered tank tops of two differing shades of green paired with smoky black, loose legged pants and to leave her hair loose to dry naturally. Initially, she'd closed her door but had found herself feeling a little caged after the openness of the training house and so she had propped her door open only after her clothing had been put away.

With her attention turning to the rest of her personal things, her mind went back over the last few days. Life certainly seemed to be throwing a new path at her and a few new, interesting faces into the mix. Elena had shown her most of the crew that had been hired, among them Damien which had not been a surprise at all to Brenna. Jesse had apparently been a surprise addition, based on Elena's reaction when they'd been seeing to the medical check. The girl had fire in her, that was certain, and despite the questions surrounding her, she seemed a sweet enough thing.

Opening one of the two small trunks in which her personal things were in, she found herself staring down at a jumble of brightly colored paper. Leaning over, she hooked a finger around the gathered strings on which the pieces hung and lifted them slowly. There would be some untangling required, even after careful packing. As she set about the task, thoughts turned to the XO that Elena had hired, a one Benjamin Street. It was an interesting choice and she'd yet to ask Damien what he thought. She hadn't quite formed her own opinion of him aside from his being friendly and dedicated to the craft of flying and clearly intent on taking the duties he'd been tasked with very seriously. She took that as a good sign.

Laying one strand, now free of the others, across her bed, Brenna studied each of the paper cranes. A warm smile tugged at her lips and remained in place as the knock on her door came.

Quote"Morning Doc. Coffee?"

"Oh... that was a kind thought," she sounded a little surprised, but pleasantly so despite the slight fade of her smile. Glancing briefly to the strands of paper cranes, she laid them back in the trunk and then approached the door and the offered coffee. "I'm sorry for the mess. I'm... still settling. It's been a while since I set foot on a ship. I'd forgotten how tight things can be sometimes." Green eyes looked up and she noted silently that he looked as if he could use another few hours sleep. Gingerly, she took the mug he offered, wrapping her fingers around it feeling the warmth of the liquid inside. "Thank you for this. I hadn't thought to get any."

Benjamin Street

June 21, 2018, 01:20:08 AM #7 Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:23:42 AM by Benjamin Street
Quote"Oh... that was a kind thought,"

He smiled in return, but noticed hers seemed to diminish a degree or two, and wondered if he'd interrupted a personal moment. He hoped not, but if he had it was to late now.

Quote"I'm sorry for the mess. I'm... still settling. It's been a while since I set foot on a ship. I'd forgotten how tight things can be sometimes." She took the mug from him and continued. "Thank you for this. I hadn't thought to get any."

"You're welcome. Didn't look like anyone had made any so I brewed a batch, figured you could use a cup." He said, giving one of his very Italian shrugs that seemed to use most of the muscles in his upper body.

"Yeah, it takes some folk a bit to get used to being aboard again." He'd never really found the tight quarters of space faring vessels to be unpleasant, but he understood that some people preferred the wide open spaces. To him the ship was more an extension of his body than vessel, and what space could be more wide and open than the black?

"I always have pretty much the opposite problem. Can never get used to Not being on a ship." He was still smiling, but there was the smallest hint of wistfulness to his voice when he spoke the last sentence.

Brenna Casey

June 21, 2018, 11:43:02 AM #8 Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:48:52 AM by Brenna Casey
Carefully, Brenna blew across the top of the coffee as a precaution against burning her mouth before taking a sip. His explanation of putting on coffee paired with the large shrug amused her and she idly wondered why he'd thought she in particular needed a cup. Maybe she'd been keeping herself just a little too busy as well and was looking the part. Even if it wasn't that, the gesture was appreciated and that he didn't add anything to it was also appreciated.

Quote"Yeah, it takes some folk a bit to get used to being aboard again. I always have pretty much the opposite problem. Can never get used to Not being on a ship."

As he started to speak, she glanced back over the room that she would be calling home for a while. It still looked like a disorganized mess to her, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Nothing strewn across the floor, just her things set in small collective groups in the general area where she intended to set them up. It was his tone in the last statement that made her look back, head tilting slightly to the left as she studied his face. "I think for me, it's more just having to adjust to where I've put things."

While there was a hint of a smile in place, it quirked upwards into something more bemused and lingered at the thought of trying to remember where everything was in her room. Three years worth of muscle memory would take a little while to break. "You almost sound sad about being used to being aboard a ship. I was impressed at how easily you seemed take to it."

Jesse Walker

June 21, 2018, 01:52:21 PM #9 Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:55:37 PM by Jesse Walker
Jesse had been on the boat for a few days now.  She managed to sneak her way aboard, in a manner of speaking. She more just deleted all other applicants and put her own name in the comp tech slot.  Since then she had been lurking about the boat upgrading security for the network.  More for her self than anything else, for her own protection.  Jesse was still looking for ways to exploit their overbearing government agency and help those that needed it.

However it seemed she wasn't the only one with a bleeding heart. She had discovered the doctor had been helping fund a project to identify unknown soldiers from the war and send them home for a proper burial. The curious thing was that the doctor seemed to be hiding the money trail. Perhaps she didn't want people to know? But Jesse couldn't understand why, unless it made her a target.

Jesse pulled her self out of the boat's main computer center, dusting herself off and adjusting her clothing and hair. She mad her way to the galley for a quick cup of coffee, however she stumbled upon her XO and the doctor before she reached the galley. Uncertain of what to do with the information she just did her best to act 'normal,' and avoid eye contact with Brenna.

"Morning folks how are we doing today?"  She really did have the worst poker face.

Elena

June 21, 2018, 03:33:18 PM #10 Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:38:14 PM by Elena
A couple or so minutes after the cargo doors had opened, a young woman hurried up to the docks. She had on a jacket but medical scrubs peeked out from beneath it, signifying her position as a nurse. Spotting Elena, the woman made her way up the ramp and smiled politely.

"Are you the Captain of The Allure?" she asked in a soft voice, obviously used to speaking in a soothing sort of way.

"I am," she assured the woman. Seeming pleased, the person rummaged around in her inner pocket before fishing out a letter, 'Dr. B. Casey c/o The Allure' written neatly on the front. Elena took the letter with a curious raising of her brows before she smiled in thanks. With a wave, the woman turned and made her way back down the gangplank, leaving the Companion to play delivery girl.

Another ten or so minutes passed and Elena held the letter gently between her thumb and forefinger, her hands crossed at the wrists in front of her lap. She'd deliver the letter to their Doctor once she was done here. Vivid blue gaze settled upon another woman approaching the ship, although this one was a familiar face. Karyn Wychovsku, she believed it was, from the files she had on all the incoming crew.

"Excuse me. I’m looking for Ms. Marseille. I received a contract to pilot the Allure from the Companions Guild. My name is Karyn Wychovski,” the new woman announced.

"Copilot," Elena corrected before smiling winningly and offering Karyn her hand, "A pleasure to finally meet you myself, Miss Wychovski," she greeted, turning sideways a bit to gesture in toward the cargo hold, "Please, feel free to take your things to your room and get comfortable aboard. I will be calling a meeting once the rest of the crew is on board, but you have some free time. Perhaps you ought to meet Mr. Street, our X.O and the pilot in command. You will be assisting him in flying The Allure so I do hope you two get along," she explained pleasantly, her expression soft and more than welcoming.

Riggs

June 21, 2018, 08:25:33 PM #11 Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:57:23 PM by Riggs
Damien was up late into the night, between reviewing the list of new crew Captain Marseille had hired on and securing the last of the restaurants provisions, had proven very labor intensive but also rewarding. He was still feeling a bit groggy as he awaited his delivery of dry-aged Prime Black Angus beef, the final installment to round out Le Fouquet's exquisite menu. The rich and beautiful did not want protein bars, they demanded a meal that could be found anywhere on a Core World and the Investors planned to do just that, and perhaps a mite better.

Thirty minutes later he pulled up outside Allure riding shotgun in a small four wheeled vehicle training behind it two wagons loaded with refrigerated containers. Time now to put his Chef hat on and tuck away the reality of his dual purpose aboard the floating palace. First off he was hired to see the guests enjoy gourmet feasts but to also keep an eye on the Investor's stake. Damien had his own reasons as well, watching Elena's back was just one of them. He easily spotted the Captain at the top of the ramp welcoming crew.

Damien hopped out and retrieved two large duffels containing his personal gear. He was dressed in plain every day civilian clothing, loose fitting dark trousers with a gray t-shirt topped off with a light field jacket that matched his pants. The only weapon he carried this morning was a knife strapped to his lower leg hidden under his clothing. He waved over some dock hands to begin loading the containers onto Allure and have them secured in the restaurant's food storage area. Damien made his way up the ramp toward Elena who was speaking with someone... Wychovski...pilot ...he muttered to himself, examining the crew manifest beforehand had proven beneficial.

' H o p e ... I s   N o t   A   C o u r s e   O f   A c t i o n ! '

Benjamin Street

June 22, 2018, 04:10:59 PM #12 Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:12:22 PM by Benjamin Street
Quote"You almost sound sad about being used to being aboard a ship. I was impressed at how easily you seemed take to it."

"Oh anything but. I've been flying since I got out of high school and there's just about no place I'd rather be than on a ship. Its just sometimes it would be nice to be able to get used to being dirt-side, you know?" He, said, attempting to remove the wistfulness from his voice. Of course the truth was that he didn't need to get used to it. He liked being on a planet just fine, not as much as flying a ship, but still. He just wished that When he went back into the black could be his choice, instead of being driven there by his dreams.

Just then Jesse came walking down the hall towards the kitchen and stopped to chat. He noticed that she had an odd look on her face, but he hadn't been around her long enough to have any idea what it might mean.

Quote"Morning folks how are we doing today?"

"Morning Jesse. Not to bad, be better once this coffee kicks in though." He said cheerfully, taking another sip. "How bout yourself?"

Elena

Elena glanced back toward the docks, pausing in her directions to the new copilot. Azure gaze settled upon Damien as he approached and she couldn't keep the smile from pulling at the corners of her crimson lips. Her teeth ran slowly over her lower lip and the Companion had to remind herself to be a little more professional.

"Feel free to wander, get to know our Allure," she said again to Karyn, offering the pilot one more polite smile and nod before she turned to fully face the incoming crew member. Elena stepped forward to meet him, her eyes alight with absolutely unfiltered pleasure at his appearance. "Damien," she greeted, her hands still crossed in front of her lap, Brenna's letter held gently between her fingers. She looked him over, double checking that he was well and that their time apart hadn't yielded any surprising changes.

Perfectly arched brows lifted ever so slightly and it was apparent that she wanted to hug him but felt it might not have been formal enough of a greeting, what with her being the Captain and all. Still, she reached out with her empty hand to settle it warmly on his upper arm, "I am more than thankful you decided to accept this position," she told him honestly. "I assume you received the packet I sent you?" she asked, referring to the ship's documentation and crew manifest. She knew he'd received it, after all she'd gotten the delivery confirmation immediately afterward, but she asked anyway.

Karyn Wychovski

June 24, 2018, 01:05:41 PM #14 Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:27:01 PM by Karyn Wychovski
Quote"Feel free to wander, get to know our Allure," she said again to Karyn.

Karyn nodded in acceptance as being co-pilot. She was hoping the other pilot had at least as much experience as she. Maybe he had flown in the War as well. She shook her head in resignation as the other crew member ascended the ramp, welcomed by the Captain. Towing her locker behind her, she meandered throughout the ship, checking integrity and function of any main system she saw, only stopping when she came on the stateroom with her name on it, alongside a Jesse Welker.

Walking around, she found the galley, and the common area, but her main attention was drawn to the cockpit forward of her stateroom.

Three crew members were chatting at the room across from hers as she slid her locker through the doorway. She’d settle in later. She put on a smile and turned to the small group.

“Hey. How’s the coffee here about? I’m Karyn. Just came on board.”

Jesse Walker

Quote"Morning Jesse. Not to bad, be better once this coffee kicks in though." He said cheerfully, taking another sip. "How bout yourself?"

Jesse was brought out of her semi distracted state by their oh so very attractive XO.  She liked looking at him, then again who wouldn't.  She sighed and gave Ben her most charming smile. "Much better now." She looked back at the doctor coming out of her trance and decided it was better to say something than remain all pent up.

"You know doc, some might think that what you're doing for those dead soldiers semi-honorable.  Not sure why you're going through so many measures to cover it up." She sniffed the air the coffee aroma over powering her senses, she was incredibly distracted today, "You got any more of that coffee handsome?" She looked back to Ben, as if the comment she had made to Brenna had no weight to it at all.

Brenna Casey

Brenna had, at first been glad to see Jesse outside of her room as opposed to hiding away as she'd claimed she'd be doing most days. That was, until the mention of what she was doing for the unknown soldiers. Her face went incredibly pale as her eyes dropped to the mug in her hands. Then came the wave of guilt. Nothing would ever repay the debt she owed and the wound opened by the barbed words of her actions being only semi-honorable only made the sting run deeper.

Jesse's attention had turned, mercifully and then even more mercifully, it looked as if another crew member had come aboard. "Um... if you'll both excuse me... I think there's a new face aboard for our XO to meet." Retreating half a step back into her room, she felt it coming. The memory of her last steps forward in the Valley and the beginning of her numb retreat. "I... I really should finish putting away my things..."

One shaking hand reached for the door and began to close it, before she looked back to Benjamin for the briefest of moments. Her eyes were hollow wells, seeing and not seeing. "Thank you again for the coffee." Bare feet stepped back and the door closed between her and the rest of the ship, but it did nothing to close out the images in her minds eye. The ruin of the bombardment had been total and final for anyone who had been there. She'd known when she watched it happening, even as she fought against those holding her back from heading towards it. They hadn't been able to keep her from going afterwards.

If ever there was a decision she regretted during the war, it was that. Pushing on to see if anyone had been spared.

Maxell Graves

June 25, 2018, 04:01:48 PM #17 Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:14:35 PM by Maxell Graves
"What's the hold up, kid? Get the lead out your pigu! I paid good creds to have my luggage moved to this ship, and you're making me run late." Maxell Graves's teeth ground into the stub of a cigar he'd been chewing in irritated silence as the meat-headed youth drew the heavily loaded hovercart behind him. The youngster, not even old enough to enlist, wasted more breath voicing his unsolicited opinion. "Man, why don't you just rent a Mule?" "I don't drive, I don't fly, and I don't remember paying you to ask any questions. Shut up and work!"

Max's heavy boots thumped on the ground beneath him as he took in the Neo-Gothic architecture of the massive city rising up within the ring of the docks where ships of all sizes and models came to a rest or departed on various pursuits. The retired Marine couldn't be bothered to wonder about any of the rest of the ships. For now he only had eyes for an Exeter by the name of The Allure. He still wasn't sure what a Troubleshooter's job actually entailed, but shooting trouble wherever he found it came quite naturally and he found himself looking forward to an opportunity to show off his arsenal as much as he anticipated showcasing his collection of Earth-That-Was artifacts. Thankfully, he'd finally found a Captain with the refinement and class to appreciate the eclectic hoard.

Elena Merseille, a Companion of some distinction whose acquaintance Maxell made on an otherwise dull stay on Londinium in the years following the Unification War, now boasted the title of Captain for whatever reason and invited the old purplebelly aboard by way of sending out an information package and offer of contracted employment. Maxell found the terms quite agreeable, and with Elena aboard supposed the scenery would be quite agreeable as well. Realizing the youngster's labored breathing and inane chatter no longer lingered behind him, Maxell's bark caught in his throat as he spun around to see the youth waiting at the cargo ramp of an Exeter perfectly matching the description in Elena's letter.

"How did I miss that..." Max stomped toward the docked Allure, recalling the day he received Elena's missive. Maxell truly appreciated that she took the time to send him genuine parchment. The personal touch boasted the mastery the woman possessed over her profession. Shooting the youth an accusatory glance as if it were the laborer's fault Maxell walked straight past his destination, Maxell grumbled as his boots clanged along the metal grating of the dock ramp announcing his arrival.
The bugle sounds - the charge begins, But on this battlefield no one wins
The smell of acrid smoke and horse's breath, As I plunge on into certain death

Iron Maiden, "The Trooper"

Benjamin Street

June 25, 2018, 07:22:38 PM #18 Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:24:14 PM by Benjamin Street
Quote from: Jesse Walker"Much better now."

Ben was fully aware of the way Jesse was looking at him, as well as the high-beam smile she gave him. Jesse was quite a beautiful woman, and in spite of the feeling that something about her wasn't quite on the level the attention was pleasant enough. He gave her a "Yes I see you looking" look that was just a touch flirty.

Quote from: Jesse Walker"You know doc, some might think that what you're doing for those dead soldiers semi-honorable.  Not sure why you're going through so many measures to cover it up."

That made him blink, he was fairly certain that there hadn't been anything in Brenna's file about something like that. His gaze turned back to Brenna and he was shocked at the sudden change that had come over her. Her face had gone pale, she had averted her eye, and there was something familiar in her face.

Quote from: Brenna Casey
"Um... if you'll both excuse me... I think there's a new face aboard for our XO to meet." "I... I really should finish putting away my things..."

Brenna retreated into her room, and reached out towards the door control. Her hand was shaking. Her gaze came up for the briefest moment to look at Ben again, thanking him again for the coffee. The look in her eyes was all to familiar now. It was a look he'd seen before many times, both on the faces of others, and staring back at him in the mirror on those nights where the dreams came that even on ship burning through the vastness of space he couldn't escape. No one leaves The Valley. If Brenna could still see him, and her gaze wasn't obscured by some long ago battlefield horror, she would see recognition and understanding in his gaze.

The door slid closed and Ben stood there staring at it for a full 3 seconds before turning to Jesse. The flirtatiousness was gone from his face, replaced by a hard look of tired anger and disappointment. "You know," He said, his voice low enough that what he said wouldn't be audible to Brenna unless she had her ear pressed to the door. "Sometimes people hide things for a reason. You should think about what those reasons might be before you go digging around in peoples lives."

He turned and took a step towards the port side of the ship. "Coffees in the kitchen. After you apologize." He said, indicating Brenna's room.

He walked  over to Karyn, his face now wearing a neutral expression. "Karyn... Wychovski? I'm Benjamin Street, XO and The Allures other pilot. If you'll follow me I'll show you the bridge." He waited long enough to see if she would follow, and then started walking up to the bridge.

Jesse

June 25, 2018, 08:01:21 PM #19 Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:49:05 PM by Axe
Quote"Um... if you'll both excuse me... I think there's a new face aboard for our XO to meet." Retreating half a step back into her room, she felt it coming. The memory of her last steps forward in the Valley and the beginning of her numb retreat. "I... I really should finish putting away my things..."
Jesse was speechless while Brenna seemingly shrunk into herself.  She wasn't sure what she had done, or she did, but she wasn't willing to admit, after all nothing was really ever hidden. 

Quote"You know," He said, his voice low enough that what he said wouldn't be audible to Brenna unless she had her ear pressed to the door. "Sometimes people hide things for a reason. You should think about what those reasons might be before you go digging around in peoples lives."
The smile faded quickly from her face, her demeanor changed, as a ball of guilt and shame sank to the pit of her stomach.  He was right, the beauty had brains too.  Jesse swallowed hard, knowing better than anyone that there were things better left alone.  It was hidden for a reason, just like she was doing, right now, in this very moment, on this ship.  It had only been a few days but she considered the doctor a friend, and well Benji, she never liked to disappoint a pretty face, let alone embarrass her self.  A barrage of emotions flooded to the surface as her face turned red and her palms began to sweat, she felt sick. 

Jesse closed her eyes, unable to even watch the XO leave and turned towards Brenna's door.  The young hacker slowly raised a gently made fist to knock on the door of the woman she had just exposed, her hand was shaking.  Jesse swallowed the shame down and knocked,

"Brenna.....I.." The words were difficult to form as her mouth went dry, "I'm so sorry. I should've never said anything.  I just, I never know when to shut up, it's a medical condition, really I think you should check me out because I think I have Tourettes or whatever that blurting disease is....I'm diseased!" She some what shouted, hoping no one had heard her yell I'm diseased, throughout the high class boat she was now a crew member on. "What I mean to say is...just let me in. Please?" She rested her hand and head on the door as if pleading with it would magically open the passage to forgiveness.

** Continues in Allure Aside S1E0: Bleeding Hearts & Paper Cranes **