Episode 3: Docks

Started by RUNE, December 02, 2019, 11:24:52 PM

RUNE

A supply transport hailing from Newhall arrived on Iscariot's docking ring, and from it emerged a bruised, beaten, and befuddled law man in search of his lost luggage. Emit Culpepper had landed with the transport's crew at one of Bellerophon's floating private estates and checked his Cortex messages about forty eight hours prior. A wave from Grace Halladay encouraged him to meet her at Iscariot Station as info bulletins of recent events on Bellerophon including the unsuccessful kidnapping attempt of a local businessman named Charles Ainsworth and the various captures depicting those suspected in the botched criminal attempt scrolled all over the feed.

A follow up bulletin reporting on Mr. Ainsworth's mysterious death mere days after his betrothal to a woman named Sherri raised more questions than answers. The same newsfeeds scrolled around on Cortex kiosks as Emit moved from the docks through the security checkpoint, followed by the typical suggestion to "LEARN MORE" by depositing credits. At the checkpoint, Emit unloaded his weapons and was handed a coin imprinted with a digital code to redeem them whenever he wished to return to the docks for passage. Feeling lightheaded after he came out of the checkpoint as another cluster of Cortex screens declared a headline of "TERROR STRIKES NEWHALL!", Emit nearly took a header as he crumbled to one knee in a coughing fit. Inhaled debris dust from the bombs, in addition to the overall increase in atmospheric pollution as a result of the chemical explosions at Heraklion City's water treatment centers continued to take a toll on Emit's lungs. Looking up, he saw glass automatic sliding doors bearing a brilliant red cross.

I know that I hung on a windy tree nine long nights, wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin, myself to myself, on that tree of which no man knows from where its roots run.
No bread did they give me nor a drink from a horn, downwards I peered; I took up the runes, screaming I took them, then I fell back from there.
The songs I know that king's wives know not Nor men that are sons of men.
So do I write and color the runes.