S1: Ep1 - You'll Never Leave Haven Alive

Started by noseatbelts, February 09, 2022, 01:30:07 PM

Rory Mayfield

August 30, 2022, 04:41:02 AM #20 Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 04:45:45 AM by Rory Mayfield
New Cambridge Spaceport

Rory was naturally disappointed that he didn't get to pet Pauly, but he was more concerned about the tension between LeBlanc and MacArthur. Without knowing either of them, it was difficult to tell just how serious the disagreement was, and as was the case with LeBlanc's anecdote about the twins on Greenleaf, Rory was unsure how to react. Was it just playful ribbing of did LeBlanc have some genuine underlying gripes about MacArthur's lack of professionalism? He stood awkwardly by, willing himself to be as invisible as possible. Fortunately, nobody asked for his input on the horse situation.

MacArthur, defying LeBlanc's orders (or more like ignoring her feedback -- he was her superior after all), rode ahead, leaving the deputy and intern to follow on foot. Whatever the exact nature of LeBlanc's displeasure, Rory felt it linger in the air as they walked through the docks, and felt compelled to fill the silence somehow.

He went with the first thing that popped in his head.

"Did you know that horses are the opposite of mouth breathers? They can only breathe through their nose. Their nasal passage is not connected to the mouth like in humans. I don't know if that's very interesting..."

It was definitely not interesting, and what's worse, it was completely irrelevant to whether or not an equine belonged aboard a space ship.
Dialogue color: pink

Genevieve LeBlanc

The Captain's cortex buzzed. High priority. Gen was about to ask him what was up when he answered before she could get the words out.

"I've gotta make sure Hyde doesn't blow up the bloody replacement HQ sent..."

Noah gallantly climbed into the saddle and with a click of his tongue, he and Pauly were off like a shot. Leaving them behind. He could have at least offered to take the boy with him. That horse could have taken two riders. She could feel the muscle in her left eyebrow begin to twitch, so she pressed a fingertip against it in an attempt to run some of the tension out.

"We can do some research on alternative forms of land transportation shortly, Gen!" he called back at her. A hand lowered to her weapon. He wasn't too far off, she wagered she could hit his leg from here. The internal image of Noah falling from his horse brought a smile to her lips. After such a heated conversation about how he wasn't going to get a horse, she couldn't believe he'd done it anyway. No, that was wrong. She could believe it. Then, he was too far away and she had to put away the satisfying imagined scenario of shooting him off his horse. Maybe later. For now, she needed to get Rory to the ship.

Gen led the new recruit through the space port in the direction Noah and his horse had gone, her gaze scanning the crowd the whole way. She kept both hands settled idly on her belt, one hand ready to pull Rory closer if she needed to, and the other hand ready to draw a weapon.

"Did you know that horses are the opposite of mouth breathers? They can only breathe through their nose. Their nasal passage is not connected to the mouth like in humans. I don't know if that's very interesting..."

Her tension eased and Gen offered Rory a smile. "Is that so?" she asked, nudging the young man with her elbow, "I think that's very interesting," she assured him.

It didn't take them long to catch up to Noah back at the ship, and Gen walked Rory up the ramp and into the safety of the vessel. Then, she froze. "Noah!" she called out in accusation, one slender finger pointing at the pile of horse excrement sitting in the middle of the ramp. Seething internally, she turned her head to stare first at Nelly, and then at Hyde, her brows furrowed. Now that she was in the presence of more people, her smile turned into a firm line and her expression grew professionally cold. The warm smile she'd shared with Rory was locked back up.

"Danielle Newcastle, and Desmond Malarkey, I presume?" she asked, her body language tight and controlled. With a hand, she gestured for both of them to stand, then jerked her head toward Noah. "Captain on board," she told them both, her gaze slowly sliding back toward the horse scat and her scowl returning. Her attention snapped to the back of Noah's head as she glared daggers through his skull.
Dialogue Color: Purple

Nelly Newcastle

August 31, 2022, 06:51:10 AM #22 Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 06:53:45 AM by noseatbelts
Was it disbelief? Surprise? No. Nelly decided it was admiration she felt for Hyde. To not care what anyone thought. She didn't envy his weariness, but his experience. He'd clearly seen it all and done perhaps more. That was the life she was seeking. But that is where any admiration ended towards the brute, otherwise he seemed to be proper full of it.

Speaking of... hooves hit her ears while manure hit her nose as she saw a striking man astride a steed, silhouetted in the cargo bay doors by the light of the day outside. It was like a painting. Beautiful. And strange. Unlike anything she had ever seen. Horses were not common in the core, let alone at a city's docks. "What?" The word was barely out of her lips when she heard a command.

"Captain on board!"

Training took over as adrenaline and muscle memory forced Nelly to jump her feet, heels clicked, back straight, and hand raised in a perfect salute. And there she would stay until given further orders.
Dialogue Color = Plum

Noah MacArthur

September 23, 2022, 04:40:51 PM #23 Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:44:29 PM by Noah MacArthur
Noah's attention snapped away from the leavings he was going to have to clean up and regarded his crew. The bright-eyed scout, a demolitions expert, his (occasionally) former rival, and then the mystery box.... The mountain of a man's gaze sat on Nelly for an extra moment. The way she snapped to: Fresh out of the Navy. In a way, they were all soldiers trying to play cops now. He tried to remind himself the newbie probably had no say in any of the last-minute roster change shenanigans.

He let out a long breath and tried to brief the crew succinctly.

"Pleasure to have you all here. Some of you are just joining us and others of you are teenagers and haven't been briefed. Our long-term mission is to keep an eye on the situation on Haven. We're supposed to be the boots on the ground bringing equitable justice and accountability to the rim and all that wank blah blah... We're here to do two things:"

The Captain paused held his hand up, as if pointing to his bullet points on a chalkboard that wasn't there.

"Monitor the situation on Haven, and if possible in the course of our duties, we could stop a labor uprising from ballooning into a system-wide civil war that's a bonus."

"Secondly and most importantly... I do actually mean it when I say we're here to look out for the people of the rim. I grew up on a farm riding around horses just like Pauly there and I had this vision of me riding into small towns, and rounding up the villains that have plagued them for years without recourse because nobody wealthy enough to finance a Parliamentarian's campaign lives here then nobody cared. But maybe that's a bit on the nose."

MacArthur glanced at Gen. The horse bit was obviously geared towards here a bit. If not an explicit apology for bringing the horse aboard it was an honest attempt to contextualize what he was doing, and what he wanted the rest of the crew to see and understand.

"We are here to carry out long-delayed justice, plain and simple. Most of us here are ex-military except for Rory but he's practically got soldier in his blood. We fought for this union and now we have to preserve it. Look out for each other and follow most of my orders and all of Gen's, we'll be grand. Cams on when we're off-ship and on duty. Exceptions apply of course for undercover work and Gen will personally murder you if you muck about out there."

Noah pointed towards the interior of the ship and dismissed the crew.

"Pick your bunks. If you end up with the one Rory's uncle was in I'm sorry for the cologne smell."

He let out a laugh through his nose and led the way into the ship.

"If any of you know a good restaurant locally that does delivery to the port, I am so hungry I might eat the delivery person too."

The Captain was joking about the cannibalism but not the menu. He could put it on his work account since they hadn't commissioned them a cook yet.