Season 1: Ep 1 - The LIttle Shuttle That Could?

Started by Travis Chao, November 02, 2019, 10:31:56 AM

Travis Chao

They had transport and two more partners. Jax they had met and negotiated a fair breakout of shares of the bounties to come. The mechanic of the shuttle they had not met, but were about to. They had eaten, rested and checked out of the skyplex hotel, bringing their respective few items to the dock that led to the shuttle.

Travis couldn't help but get up early and arriving early. It was his nature. 'Get there first' was an old axiom that still flowed in his veins. He left his bags near the air lock that led to the shuttle. Looking out a window didn't tell him anything about the transport except it was small. That didn't matter, they didn't need big, just something that would get them from the black to the dirt.

Finding a couple of other early risers or late shift dock workers near a vent, he took out his pipe and filled it. Someone offer a light. The tossed the usual smoker's banter about. One of them mentioned the limping in to the skyplex of the shuttle Chao was about to get on.

Chao inquired as to it keeping the air in and landing at something less than a fiery crash and got something of a 'prolly so' and a shrug. He watched the gate and his bags as he enjoyed a pipeful and waited for his fellow posse members.

"When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or person, don't be surprised they learn the lesson."

Mylena Yee

It would be almost exactly on time when Mylena finally made her way to the airlock.  She had both of her gear bags over one shoulder, her other hand occupied by the hand of Newt, fingers entwined.  She couldn't help but move with the same easy grace, but in the morning light it seemed more free, more languid and her features were less guarded.  She paused her forward movement, laughing at something Newt had said, bending to brush a kiss upon his lips behind the midnight curtain of her hair. 

By the time they landed planet-side she would be back in work mode and ready to do the job, but for now, she was simply a young woman in love.
Pale death visits with impartial foot, the cottages of the poor and the castles of the rich.

Travis Chao

Travis put out his pipe, offered good salutations to his fellow smokers and walked over to join Mylena and Declan. "Good Morning."

Giving the doors to the airlock a good hard three kicks with the heel of his boot to let Jax and the Dizzy mechanic know that they had arrived, albeit a little early. He almost asked if the newly and rather quickly formed couple slept well, he thought better and rephrased in his mind.

"Well rested I hope. It's going to be a busy day."

"When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or person, don't be surprised they learn the lesson."

Newt Declan

Newt,held Mylena's hand as they walked,towards the docking ports in route to meet Travis and the others.Upon there approach Newt's eyes scanned the dock, something he had done since flight training,now almost habit. The dock had a far share of makes & models within it's holding area.But one truly stuck out from the rest,he recognized the make right away as an old 578-R,lightest of the transport classes. Developed by United Reclamation before the days of the war to serve as Tugs and midrange haulers. Hell he even flew one or two when he was working with Maria's bunch. This one however appeared to have seen better days.

Turning to point out the vessel to Mylena,and with a light chuckle.
"That Jax fellow,is braver than I thought."
Continuing onward past a row of cargo freight he spotted Travis waving them over with a greeting. "Morning to you as well."

"Well rested I hope?" Raising Mylena's hand to offering a light kiss upon the back of it. "I believe we are,thank you for asking"

Mylena Yee

Mylena had no opinion really on the ship itself.  If it was flyable she had no doubt her Newt could fly it.  She did have the decency to blush a little at the greeting from Travis, but she smiled warmly giving Newt's hand a little squeeze. "I guess we are waiting on the others?  Perhaps we should have gotten them breakfast first? Or at least coffee? I honestly thought wed be the last ones here." The young woman seemed happy enough though, practically glowing. The outfit might seem questionable, her hair twisted up into a bun, high necked blouse and long pleated skirt, soft shoes peeking out from the bottom hem.  She looked almost like a missionary woman.
Pale death visits with impartial foot, the cottages of the poor and the castles of the rich.

Jax

November 05, 2019, 06:16:02 PM #5 Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:21:22 PM by Jax
Jax was resting his eyes in the pilot's seat when he heard several thumps on the hull that sent a dull resounding echo through the ship. The metal was rather thin on this particular design as they tried to shave some weight to help with the weaker engine configuration. Oh the boarding ramp! he exclaimed to himself.

Jax didn't see his Mechanic about but trusted she had Ruby ready to fly. "Hey Dizz we got company!" He announced as he activated the ramp. The motor struggled from the weight of the gangway, but powered through with a nagging vibration. Jax slipped down the ramp...."We are open for business.....Welcome one and all." He motioned them toward the ramp as he munched on a half eaten Fruity Oaty Bar.

Dizzy Mcgee

November 06, 2019, 03:37:19 PM #6 Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 08:31:00 AM by Dizzy Mcgee Reason: Adjusted to make requested edits
Appearing suddenly from down the hallway behind Jax as she wiped her hands with a rag her welding mask still resting on her head with the visor up while her face was framed by her green tinged wavy shoulder length hair. Dizzy's overalls like any decent grease monkey bore a history of oil and grease stains of her craft as she stood in the hallway taking in each of her new crew mates.

While she was still not to sure what the actual plan it certainly had all the making of her once more blindly following Jax into another misadventure. Whatever the job her main focus as always was to keep the Ruby Rose flying and while she might not look like much on the surface from an engineer standpoint she was sound....kind of.

Allowing Jax to do his big show Dizzy stood back and giving the new arrivals a warm smile. Taking in each of the new faces as they came up the access ramp while in her own mind trying to work out what could possibly have brought such a crew together.

Travis Chao

It was very near their arranged meeting time. He looked around for Minato and Luke. Then headed on to the ramp and the little shuttle.

Travis tipped his hat at Dizzy, "Miss McGee."

Once on the shuttle he put his two bags well off to the side and out of the way. The description seemed spot on, small and for the seven of them, it would be a bit of a crowded state with all their gear. Assuming they all brought everything they owned as Travis had. He wouldn't be needed in them except to get a bit more gear and weapons for the job. Except for a poncho he was dressed for work from the tie down hat with a netting that could be pulled down to the the sturdy boots for hiking through the wood. And dress in black, which suited the jungle day or night.

He slipped the envelope out of one of the bags and looked for a place to spread out his scratchings of what little of a plan they had. "Declan, Jax. Did you get a chance to look over where we'll be landing?" They had discussed some last night, but the pilots didn't have any chance to use other resources that might be available.

Luke OMalley

Luke was, if not late, certainly edging on it. He had taken a moment to steal away to some of the small local shops. The behemoth of a man had now two bags, his well worn traveler's sack as well as a rugged if relatively small hiker's pack. He was also dressed perhaps a little nicer now than he had been in time past. Or, at least, his clothing was matching and in good condition. Luke was wrapped in sturdy dark olive work pants, a shirt of a slightly lighter olive color that was perhaps a little too tight across the chest and an open jacket that bordered the lines of soldier and outdoorsman in its cut. He had clearly hit up the local 'hunting and hiking' supply store and cashed in some of his paycheck to look at least a touch more professional. It worked too. He had even slicked his hair back and trimmed his beard.

Trotting up to the shuttle the man who had for much of his life gone by the moniker of 'Little John' put on his usual open grin. He gave Jax, who was on the ramp, a nod. The green haired woman behind him was favored with a wink. "Mornin' dove." Once he was inside the ship Luke found a seat next to Travis and began going through his bags then. Filling pockets on his jacket with a myriad of shotgun shells. Almost all of them were high brass but their contents were a mix of solid shot, double ought buck, and beanbag rounds. The first two were lethal, the last was, given that high brass, mostly less than lethal. That done he stuffed the sawed off ten gauge into his new backpack. From his travel sack luke then drew two magazines and his pistol. It was flat black, perhaps ten years old but of the more modern core design rather than a revolver format.

Luke handled both guns with confident ease though once they were stowed he began the process of inspecting two knives. These, as he handled and eyed them, were clearly his preferred tools of the trade. One knife was long, about fourteen inches of blade styled after an old earth that was fighting knife from Northern Scandinavian countries. The other was significantly smaller, barely two inches in length and was in a style that was often called a gimlet, or push knife. When held Luke's fist would be closed and the blade sprouted from just under his knuckles, turning his already frightening punch into something entirely more frightening.

Jax

Jax was ready for whatever came next, this job was just a stepping stone of sorts to something bigger....he just had a feeling. With a confident grin He welcomed his passengers...partners actually... Jax mused. He easily fended off comments about Rosie's space worthiness as he followed them up the ramp. "Get your gear stored and we'll be off." Jax did a quick head count and turning to Travis... "Seems we're short one Mister Chao."

Mylena Yee

Mylena had not yet boarded the shuttle.  She was waiting off to the side until all the crew was there.  She knew that Newt would be eager to board and check out the ship and that he and Jax still had things to discuss.  She had charged herself with looking after the crew though.  She breathed a sigh of relief when Luke arrived and boarded, a slight nod of approval at his attire.  She was scanning the crowd looking for Minato though. She was pretty sure Newt wouldn't want to leave without her and if their sometimes skittish crew member didn't show up soon she was going to head out looking for him.  She was determined not to lose anyone else.

Newt Declan

Newt,was waiting at the bottom of the ramp when Jax voiced that one of the crew hadn't shown yet. He glanced over at Mylena who was already scanning the area. Taking a few steps to stand beside her."You see anything?" From his back pocket Newt,withdrew a collapsible baton, handing it over to her. "If we have to go back to the Hotel I thought you might want this just in case. Will give him another ten minutes then we will go together okay." He lowered his hand next to hers letting his pinky finger entwine with hers.

Minato Kaneshiro

Minato had spent quite a bit of time wondering Greenleaf to stock back up and anything that he may need for the mission.  It was mainly just small things that could be hidden just in case he may need it. Minato had happened to wandered into a tech shop and lost track of time. When he finally saw what time it was, Minato bolted out of the store literally pushing one of the patrons aside. He soon realized what the store owner might think and he turned around with his bag open.

"There's nothing in it. I just realized I am about to miss my flight!"

With that said, Minato exited the shop at full speed not even looking back. Minato reached the shuffle out of breath and nodded to Mylena as he passed her. He didn't say much but tossed his gear to the side and dropped into a seat completely out of breath.

"I'm here. I apologize for being late."

Minato collapsed back into his chair as he finished still trying to catch his breath.

Mylena Yee

She had spotted Minato as he was making his way to the shuttle at a good clip.  The worry in her eyes eased and she greeted him with a smile.  She handed Newt his baton back and released his hand, following him up the ramp and onto the shuttle.  The gang was all aboard so they could get underway finally.  She looked like she was at peace as she carried her gear back and found a seat. She needed to get a few things rearranged in her bags and she'd be ready to go on walk about.

Travis Chao

Chao went over the plan one more time. They might think he was being redundant or even condescending with repeating the step by step walk throughs but his experience told him it was better to be over prepared than the alternative.

First with Declan and Dizzy, the landing area and then when to come in to the cabin. They had simple comms which had a fair enough range for the area they would be in.

"So the five of us get off here. Luke and I will move through the jungle just off the trail, if it's not too thick, to get to the cabin. He'll move to the back, I'll be out front across the small trail and where Declan will come in to land later. Jax, Minuto and Mylena will take the trail. It'll be just dawn when you get to the cabin." He turned to look at them. "Have a story? Approach the cabin like you would any camp. Call out, 'we no threat, just looking for a rest'.  Maybe you're escaped indentured folk, or religious sorts looking to save some souls. But be humble, look like not a threat. The idea is to get as many out of the cabin as you can. And scruff yourself up to look like you've been walkin' all night."

"You'll have your comm open so everyone can hear. We take out as many as we can as quiet as we can before we go in the cabin. That's where things get hinky."
He looked at Luke. "Depending on how it goes you need to help out front, or get in the back."

"I'll be out front with Betsy and Betsy. Covering our three in front and then coming in the front door.  I'll be making lots of 'bound by law' jabber, unless things have already gone to hell."
He indicated his rifle and pistol. Travis didn't really have names for his weapons, but was just making a point.

"Non-lethal and with threat of worse if we can. But if anyone gets in danger of loss a life or limb. Be having yourself prepared to deal with the harsh lethal reply."

"Declan, once we start moving you be ready to land for all the more intimidation."

He looked around for questions and clarifications.

Mylena Yee

"I had 2 possible stories, depending on what Minato and Jax thought.  Option 1 is Minato and I can pose as missionaries with Jax as our guide, looking to shine the light of civilization out in this little corner of the verse.  It might work, generally speaking people are uncomfortable around people of God, and unlikely to shoot them.  Option 2 would be I could play a run away slave of Minato's who Jax is helping him track down.  I'd approach first, seeking refuge and they could follow. Either way would get me up to the front door, looking non-threatening and hopefully be able to lure them out.  I'm open to other thoughts or suggestions though."  She looked around the group, especially Minato.  She wanted to make sure he was comfortable with whatever plan they came up with. She knew he'd done some research as well. "Is there a specific target I should be watching out for or that I should try to take out first?  Usually you take out the dog with the teeth the rest turn tail or lay down." 

She grinned at Travis and Luke. "And you two know I don't really need to walk in with weapons to handle myself.  I can use whatever we have lying around."

Minato Kaneshiro

Minato closely took notes as Mr. Chao and Mylena spoke. He let the word simmer in his mind before he spoke up. He placed the data pad up in his pocket and turned his attention over to Mylena.

"Option 1 seems more viable. The second option places me in a social position which I am not the strongest in. The first shares the weight a bit more so I feel more comfortable with it."

Minato's eyes darted around from a moment while he sat there waiting.

Travis Chao

Travis considered Minato's admission, which really worked well for selling any story. His social reaction especially in a false state would play well. People are nervous in uncomfortable situations, even missionaries spreading the word in a bad place. Of course he might not should be going at all. Perhaps Chao was putting him in a bad spot.

"If this sort of work is not in your wheelhouse Minato, you could stay behind, coordinate the timing of our effort. But yes, I think the first option would be best." Though he liked the second, simple would be better.

"As for who we are after," Travis spread out the six small print outs he had made up. Three copies to share among them. "Wanted or bounty jumped for fraud, confidence schemes except for the one." Each card had a picture and a name, nothing more. "Not the best of information." He looked again at Minato.

"Unless you were able to dig up anything more?" He hoped so. The information they had going in wasn't much. He spread out the cards for the others to read and remember. "Their crimes are not suggesting of cold blooded killers, but folks on the run will be unpredictable. They didn't want to stand for their crimes so desperation and cornered are a rock and a hard spot. We'll be putting both on 'em."

The six cards:
Winston Townshend, bald, handlebar mustache
Montgomery Quinn, dark skin
Belinda Bates,
Earnest Dalton, smuggling, bank robbery
Gus Pickett,
Da Zheng, very large.

Newt Declan

Newt listened intently as the plan was hashed out by Mylena, Minato and Travis. He wasn't comfortable with the fact that they knew little of who they were going after. Not that he himself hadn't run some half informed missions in the past playing tag with the razors edge. Just that this time he didn't just have to worry about himself.

Smiling at Mylena," I have the utmost respect and faith in your folks plan. But if these gents start to turn this thing sideways,know that I'm just going to knock that little shack to pieces with the Rose and evac everyone."

Dizzy Mcgee

"I'm sorry your planning on doing what?"

Dizzy looked at Newt with a look of shock and slight horror at the idea of the ship being turned into some kind battering ram. Sure it was Jax's name on the paperwork but like all the ships she had worked on she felt a nuturing connection to this ship after all if someone could have face only a mother could love, why could she not feel the same about this scrappy little ship.

"You know I've not spent all this time keeping her chugging along for you to crash her at the first oppotunity...bah!!"

She said waving her hand into a mock slap position at Newt before returning her focus to Travis

"If you give me an hour I can see what I can scrape together to keep these folks in line and from giving you too much trouble."

She smiled