Home :: Help :: Team :: Members :: Login :: Register

+ Finding Serenity  » Getting Started  » Census  » In Play  » Ronin Crew 
|- Avaree Winters 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

collapse

* Quick Links

* Chat

Refresh History
  • PurpleRiver: Yes, fabulous Briar post!
    November 17, 2018, 08:57:14 PM
  • Scout: We should start a club
    November 15, 2018, 07:17:47 AM
  • Axe: Me three :/
    November 15, 2018, 04:43:08 AM
  • Scout: And you take care!
    November 14, 2018, 02:03:52 PM
  • Lomari: Same. :( Take your time!
    November 13, 2018, 08:51:11 PM
  • Scout: That's nice to hear especially since I've been struggling with motivation lately, even for things I enjoy
    November 12, 2018, 08:32:42 PM
  • Scout: Aww, thanks
    November 12, 2018, 08:32:25 PM
  • Lomari: That post with Briar was so gooood. Adoooorable.
    November 12, 2018, 08:31:24 PM
  • Scout: Still struggling with that >_> but I'm checking the site to keep up
    November 11, 2018, 08:39:44 PM
  • Lomari: I feel ya
    November 05, 2018, 11:36:12 PM
  • Scout: Sorry if I'm being slow to post, my seasonal depression has been kicking my ass for the past week or so
    November 04, 2018, 09:37:51 PM
  • Axe: So apologies in advance, but I might not be around much this weekend. Real stressful week. Discord notifications turned off, etc. If you absolutely need to get a hold of me send me a PM on the site
    November 03, 2018, 01:45:41 AM
  • PurpleRiver: I THINK the crew manifests are once again up to date. :) Captains/Narrs please PLEASE check them and keep an eye on them. If you can't keep them updated yourself, a quick PM to let me know who is leaving/joining will do just fine.
    October 29, 2018, 11:52:59 AM
  • Axe: Busy day today, I should be able to approve some apps and reply to pms and stuff tomorrow
    October 25, 2018, 06:26:28 PM
  • Axe: Shiny!
    October 24, 2018, 08:25:01 PM
  • Scout: I also sent you a PM
    October 24, 2018, 06:31:58 PM
  • Scout: All done! I aged her down one year and tweaked the years in her bio
    October 24, 2018, 06:17:42 PM
  • Axe: Just lemme know when you're finished and I will move her bacl
    October 24, 2018, 06:16:19 PM
  • Axe: Moved!
    October 24, 2018, 06:02:12 PM
  • Scout: Thanks!
    October 24, 2018, 06:00:58 PM

* Affiliated Sites

Find and vote for us at

Vote for us at
Top RP Sites

Find us on
RPG-DDistant Fantasies

Site Plot

Finding Serenity

Finding Serenity is an original-character roleplay set in Joss Whedon's Firefly 'Verse. Events take place after the events of the Serenity movie.

The year is 2519.

Earth-That-Was is long gone. Humans found a new group of solar systems with dozens of planets and hundreds of moons. The "Core" planets are civilised, high-tech and under Alliance control. The "Border" worlds are diverse and distinct. The "Rim" is the wild west of the 'verse and the "Black" is where our ships travel, hoping to avoid the perils of space: Alliance, pirates, and the monsters known as Reavers.

So here we are, on the "raggedy edge". This is where our characters live. There are those who stick by the Alliance Government, those who want to rise up against it, and those that just don't care either way as long as they can make a living. With every turn, every choice put forward and every decision made we are FINDING SERENITY

Author Topic: Avaree Winters  (Read 13 times)

Description:
  • New Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Avaree Winters
« on: November 09, 2018, 01:36:06 AM »

Avaree Winters, aka Ava Gray

Primary Occupation:  Licensed Medical Practitioner
Secondary Occupation (optional):  Passenger
Equipment:  Avaree has a valise with a selection of casual, practical clothing and personal hygiene items.  A larger trunk holds a few fancy gowns and a variety of accessories, a viola, a new, electronic copy of Universal Anatomy: The Complete Practitioners Guide, complete with a lifetime subscription to updates (currently disabled), a book of sheet music for the harp, a small sewing kit, a small firearm with a handful of bullets and a fancy writing set. At the very bottom are a few small birthday presents from her mother, unwrapped but still boxed.  Hidden in the lining is her medical license, and her photo ID, both with her true name. She also has a duffle with emergency medical supplies salvaged from her last employer.

Appearance:  As the daughter of a Companion, Avaree's breeding is clearly evident.  With delicate features, a curvy, slender physique, and coloring that even light-years removed from Earth-That-Was makes humans think of sunny climes and salty breezes, she would look perfectly at home in a Core world ballroom - and a little out of place closer to the rim.  She has brown eyes and naturally black hair, although that has recently been lightened to a honeyed shade of brown.  At 5'5", she is just on the short side of average.
Faceclaim:  Minka Kelly

Initial Personality:  Ava is polite, professional, and pleasant.  She aims to make a good first impression without inviting too much familiarity.  She is very focused and tends to try and stay out of the spotlight.
Underlying Personality:  While she tends to like people, Ava is slow to open up.  Her pleasant demeanor and natural kindness make it easy to assume a relationship is closer than it really is.  She's reluctant to divulge much information about herself and tends to find ways to make the conversation about others.  She enjoys making others feel at ease and has an easy sense of humor.  She holds no malice towards anyone, but she can be a bit of a cynic.  She is a fast thinker and a convincing liar.

Known History:  Avaree Winters was born on Sihnon in 2495 to Sophia Winters, a successful Companion whose clientele consists primarily of high-level military officers and low-level political attaches.  Avaree's father was listed as unknown on her birth certificate and has never been made public.  She attended elite private schools with an emphasis on companion training throughout her youth and scored above average.  In her later schooling, her educational emphasis shifted toward the sciences, although she continued to take classes required for future candidacy for licensing as a Companion.  Her grades improved at this point, putting her at the upper percentile of her class.  Despite taking a number of classes eligible for college credit, she still managed to graduate a year early.  She enrolled in a local medical school at the age of 17 and graduated with a medical degree just before turning 22.  She began her residency in the ICU of Sihnon State Hospital.  She finished her residency shortly before her 24th birthday and flew to Osiris where she took her final exam.  Records show her boarding a transport later that afternoon with paid passage to Bellerophon with a short lay-over on Liann-Jiun.  No information past that date is available.
Her known extended family include maternal grandparents (a successful lawyer on the part of her grandfather and a popular socialite on the part of her grandmother) and a married uncle who is a surgeon on Londinium.
Other History:  Sophia Winters gave birth to her only child when she was 27 years old.  From what Ava gathered growing up, her father was likely a client who was a body-building super genius who would have had a stellar career as a model if he weren't so busy being rich and powerful.  Despite his incomparable virility, his wife was unable to conceive without fertility treatments, which is likely why he A) agreed to father a child with Sophia and B) wanted his identity kept in strict confidentiality.  Ava never asked, but it is likely her mother would have confirmed that he could throw a spaceship the length of a football field with one arm and catch bullets out of the air with his teeth.  Ava has always been of the opinion that he sounded spectacularly uninteresting.

Because Sophia had a very successful working life, Avaree spent much of her childhood in the care of her uncle and his family, where she gained her interest in the medical field.  Once she was old enough - and perhaps sensing that her daughter was at risk of not following in her mother's career - Sophia enrolled her in companion training courses on Sihnon.  Despite being removed from her uncle's care, Ava continued to be fascinated by medicine and despite her mother's distress, obtained her medical degree and licensing. 

In a last ditch effort to convince Avaree to give up medicine and pursue licensing as a companion, Sophia arranged for Avaree to be the date for one of her clients - a high ranking military officer who needed a date for a prestigious military ball.  The event did help Ava firmly settle her mind about pursuing her mother's lifestyle, but not as Sophia had wished.  In order to impress the soon-to-be doctor - and more than a little drunk - the officer took her on a tour of the medical facilities he oversaw in his role directing the Alliance Naval Medical Command.  On the tour, he demonstrated a test his team was developing that would be able to determine whether a person was likely to have adverse reactions to psychotropic medications before receiving them.  In light of the news about the Miranda experiment, Avery found the experience entirely unnerving.  Before dawn the next morning, Ava had boarded a shuttle to Osiris where, immediately after taking her medical exams, she boarded another flight to Bellerophon.  Rather than reach her destination, she disembarked during the layover on Liann-Jiun and took a flight toward the rim under the assumed name Ava Gray.

The captain of the freighter on which she’d traveled heard that she was looking for work as a doctor, and connected her with a job on Jiangyin, one that paid well and wouldn’t ask too many questions about a person’s past.  It turned out to be a medic job for a smuggling outfit, but given the lack of convenient alternatives, Ava took the job.

Skills and Strengths:  Ava has graduated from an accredited medical school with a specialization in surgical procedures, completed her residency and passed her final exam.  While two years doesn't necessarily give a comprehensive medical background, she does have some practical experience, natural talent, and the knowledge base to work on a whole range of medical issues.  Her family and educational background has given her skills in dancing, art, some musical instruments, as well as a foundational knowledge of psychology and an impressive grasp of social skills.  She is familiar with Companion customs.
Weaknesses:  Ava has learned swordplay, but has never practiced it outside a class, or in a realistic combat situation.  While she might manage acceptably in a duel with all its rules, it would take serious training - or a whole lot of luck - for her to be victorious in a real fight.  Likewise, because of her mother's predisposition to take military clients, Ava knows how to talk about guns without sounding like an idiot and has also fired one, but that wouldn't qualify her to join in a gunfight, even if that were her predisposition.

If your damaged machinery can be fixed with kicks, slaps, or muttered insults, then Ava is your girl.  If it takes actual knowledge and use of tools, then look elsewhere.  She has dexterous hands, so it's possible she could follow directions and not make things more broken than they were to start with - if properly supervised - and she is reasonably skilled at handing over tools when asked.

As far as piloting, even her paper airplanes crash.

Recent events have left Ava more than a little paranoid.  She doesn't trust the 'verse at large, and that distrust extends to the new people she meets, and even to herself.  While before she tended toward well-thought out actions and careful plans, now she's more at risk of second guessing herself, regardless of the quality of her plans.  Her facade of confidence can mask this, but her fragile resolve could be a liability under pressure.  While not against the proper use of force in theory, in her own life Ava has very much been a pacifist.  That wasn't much of a problem back in the Core, but in her current environment, the lack of real fighting spirit makes her a duck out of water.  She also has a tendency to 'go along to get along,' which means she doesn't usually stand up for herself when she should.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:07:15 PM by Chimera »