"Girl in a Box"

Started by Caliope, February 01, 2013, 05:48:20 PM

Cortex Mainframe

Characters that enter a scene in just such an unforgettable way.

Caliope

February 01, 2013, 05:50:25 PM #1 Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:08:55 PM by Black Betty
Put this one in because I actually have a nominee.

My Kudos goes to Loki (Alex Quinn) for his entrance into the Avalon story - found here

AWARDED!

Alex Quinn

Well my goal was to have one character introduced as a naked blue smurf....

kysenp

I just wanted to give kudos to the entire crew of the Restless for doing such a great job on their introductions and entrances. Found here I really feel like everyone has made a memorable entrance and a notable character play.
What if one's greatest fear is that one could be truly extraordinary? What if to avoid fear one avoids the chance of a lifetime?

PurpleRiver

August 30, 2013, 02:26:08 PM #4 Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:09:27 PM by Black Betty
So I think this entrance has just the right amount of explanation of his current situation, some hints to back-story, plenty of character and a nice dose of humour.

Quote from: Caber Rowley on August 28, 2013, 12:35:16 PM
"No!" shouted Caber Rowley, as he watched the Stonefly class vessel undock and take off without him. "Wait for me, you gorram ung jeong jia ching jien soh! Wait!" But the ship was already burning up the atmo.

Caber picked up a rock and chucked it in the general direction of the humps that just stranded him. "Not again!" he muttered.

This wasn't even the second time someone had hired Caber on as a mechanic, got some work out of him, then stranded him at the next dock without his due pay. Caber had even taken to getting his agreements in writing as a means to keep his employers honest, but he couldn't rightly bring the matter before the law without his own warrants getting him bound.

Now he was stuck on Verbena. He didn't know anybody on Verbena. He didn't want to know anybody on Verbena. He very much wanted off Verbena. The only thing Verbena had going for it was a gearshift factory. That thumb had crushed Caber long ago, and he didn't care to be under it again.

Caber let out an exasperated huff, put his hands on his hips, and looked around at his ridiculous, penniless, go shi situation. He spotted his khaki duffle bag and his large metal tool box unceremoniously chucked on the ground.

"Huh. Well at least they weren't total bastards about it," he thought to himself, as he picked up his things.  "And besides..." He dug into his front left pants pocket and pulled out a small, seemingly insignificant stabilizer pin. "They'll have a helluva time trying to land with their parallactic grav track flopping about."

Let it not be said that Caber Rowley never learned his lesson.

AWARDED!

Black Betty

I support this post! :D

Quote from: PurpleRiver on August 30, 2013, 02:26:08 PM
So I think this entrance has just the right amount of explanation of his current situation, some hints to back-story, plenty of character and a nice dose of humour.

Quote from: Caber Rowley on August 28, 2013, 12:35:16 PM
"No!" shouted Caber Rowley, as he watched the Stonefly class vessel undock and take off without him. "Wait for me, you gorram ung jeong jia ching jien soh! Wait!" But the ship was already burning up the atmo.

Caber picked up a rock and chucked it in the general direction of the humps that just stranded him. "Not again!" he muttered.

This wasn't even the second time someone had hired Caber on as a mechanic, got some work out of him, then stranded him at the next dock without his due pay. Caber had even taken to getting his agreements in writing as a means to keep his employers honest, but he couldn't rightly bring the matter before the law without his own warrants getting him bound.

Now he was stuck on Verbena. He didn't know anybody on Verbena. He didn't want to know anybody on Verbena. He very much wanted off Verbena. The only thing Verbena had going for it was a gearshift factory. That thumb had crushed Caber long ago, and he didn't care to be under it again.

Caber let out an exasperated huff, put his hands on his hips, and looked around at his ridiculous, penniless, go shi situation. He spotted his khaki duffle bag and his large metal tool box unceremoniously chucked on the ground.

"Huh. Well at least they weren't total bastards about it," he thought to himself, as he picked up his things.  "And besides..." He dug into his front left pants pocket and pulled out a small, seemingly insignificant stabilizer pin. "They'll have a helluva time trying to land with their parallactic grav track flopping about."

Let it not be said that Caber Rowley never learned his lesson.

PurpleRiver

October 27, 2013, 02:31:44 PM #7 Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:12:23 PM by Black Betty
I've got another new player to nominate for a simple but stellar entrance into the RP. Little details like the cheap cigar, the reference to his history as a smuggler, and small but obvious character traits make this an excellent entrance in my book.

Nick Bradshaw arrives at The Signal, played by edgesteel

AWARDED!

dannyness

April 03, 2014, 05:09:50 PM #8 Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:12:43 PM by Black Betty
I'd like to nominate Metal Gear Shaco as Sonja in Nautilus. Her entrance wasn't particularly surprising or earth-that-was shattering or funny or anything, but it was just good writing and it made a good impression on me.

We're all pretty good writers here, but MGS's writing style for Sonja in just the few posts we've seen is near pro. It's not overly flowery, or sentimental, or gimmicky, or juvenile and it says a lot with a few words. The best writing style is where you don't notice the style. Like the best acting occurs when you completely forget they're acting. I only noticed because I aspire to such heights and am therefore always on the lookout for it and like to applaud it when I see it. I'm always nervous when people take characters like cooks or passengers, because they may not always have a pivotal role in a plot so it's often up to them to find their way into the mix. I think MGS has the talent to do it. Well done.

AWARDED!
" class="bbc_img

PurpleRiver

May 11, 2018, 03:00:23 PM #9 Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:05:31 PM by PurpleRiver
I'm nominating this for the little details in it that speak so loudly about the character. From the messenger bag lifted over the head to the withering glare that didn't work because of her brown doe eyes I just loved the subtlties that brought so much life from the page.

Jolene, played by Carrie Bowman, walks into a bar

AWARDED!