S02E01 - Hunting Gryphons - Day 4 - Gathering the Crew

Started by Chris Carver, October 11, 2017, 04:58:06 AM

Tara Marx

January 31, 2018, 07:05:22 PM #40 Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:35:10 PM by Tara Marx
He lead her up the catwalks and into the mess where the crew was waiting. "And here we are."

Tara stepped pass Andes to enter the Mess first. "Thank you Mister Maley." She said before turning her eyes from him and toward Mischief's crew. Tara did a fair bit of research on the crew Captain Carver had assembled, though not all information was readily available, she had her ways of manipulating the Cortex to her advantage. While the Captain continued to speak she casually gave them all a looksee while she waited to be introduced.

Emerson Bell

"That be the million credit question... We be needing to do some repairs before we be departin'... You mayhap saw the prop under the right rear landing strut; that needs some replacement parts and the right thruster is only workin' in low atmo mode."[/i]

Bell nodded to the Captain, it was good to know the person she'd be working for had a grasp of what needed to be done.  Looks like she'd be lending a hand to the new mech.

"Demonte, do you have any preliminary assessments on what we'll need to do?  I'm not the greatest with tools but I can follow directions as needed."
Soon another woman joined them flanked by the security guard.  She was stunning to be blunt about it, Em had been wrong about the Doc so she wasn't going to hazard a guess as to what the new girl's role was but with looks to kill she wouldn't put it past her to be very dangerous.

Andes Maley

Andes just nodded and stepped to the side, allowing the customer to stand on her own. She could certainly handle it. 

Tara Marx

Tara freely stepped forward when Chris introduced her. It was a good looking crew gathered before her and attentive as well. She had a good feeling about this endeavor, though she never let her feelings sway her decisions, well for the most part. She began..."As the Captain stated my name is Tara Marx and I am chartering Mischief with the goal of recovering a ship I once Captained." As Tara spoke she made a point to move her eye contact amongst the crew members. "Now I know Mischief needs repairs and I have passed along the list Captain Carver sent me. My benefactor has promised delivery by tomorrow afternoon." Of course there were more details involved with this trip but she was sure not every crew member needed to be privy to such particulars. "Now I'm sure there might be some questions so ask away and I'll answer the best I can."

Chris Carver

((OCC Thank you for keeping this going while I have been indisposed))

Chris and Addison had discussed everything with Tara three days previously so she didn't have any questions, or at least, not any questions that she was prepared to ask in front of the crew. If the crew asked one of those questions then there was nothing that she could do about it but she wasn't prepared to put Tara on the spot unnecessary.

Whether questions were asked, what the questions were, and by whom they were asked would be an interesting thing in itself.

((OOC A round of questions and then I will move things along))

Andes Maley

Andes opened his mouth to tell a joke but noticed that Tara only had one gun on her, it wouldn't work and would probably get him shot. He closed his mouth and waited to see if anyone else had anything. This job was as good as any other.

Emerson Bell

"Yeah I have a question." Bell pushed with her shoulders from her leaning position against the wall.

"You do know there are towing ships right?  What do you have a flat tire?"  She asked a bit sarcastically realizing she was likely still a bit steamed at the security guard.  Taking a breath and walking forward she took a more measured approach.

"What I mean is, you don't hire a crew like this on a beat up ship to do a recovery mission unless there's a reason you can't go to the authorities.  So what are we getting into?  Grand theft spaceship?  What sort of danger are we facing, who is your benefactor and why can't he or she recover it if they have the resources and wherewithal to fix said beat up ship?"  Again measuring herself and fully aware that her 'a question' was spiraling more towards twenty she turned away from the woman to face the Captain.

"Sorry if I'm out of line Captain I'm sure these are all questions you've asked but I don't know any of you and if I'm going to fly this ship blind I at least want to know where I'm going."  She stood firm, arms crossed awaiting a response.  Wondering if she was about to get fired or shot.

Tara Marx

February 28, 2018, 07:25:15 PM #47 Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 07:31:40 PM by Tara Marx
It didn't take long for one of the crew to speak up. It was Emerson Bell, Tara wasn't surprised. Reading up on her Bio she was one of the crew that caught her attention. Emerson's time spent on Hera and knowledge of the planet might prove useful at some point. Tara let her speak freely as she worked through a collection of questions bordering on a quasi-interrogation.

After Bell concluded her inquisition with an appeal to the Captain, Tara chimed in before Carver could answer. "That is quite alright Captain, I appreciate crew members that just don't blindly follow. " Tara continued as she addressed the whole group... "So let's see where to start, oh yes...the use of a towing vessel is out of the question in this particular circumstance, discretion is the better part of valor. Is our endeavor surreptitious?...Yes.....simply put." Tara didn't stay in one static position, as she answered Bell's questions she moved about the crew, responding to the whole group but always coming back to face Mischief's Pilot.

"As for the beat up ship, well simply put... Mischief needs help and I can provide that. Captain Carver and I have come to an agreement for the Charter which also includes a bonus payout for the crew, fair sum I do say." Tara motioned towards the Captain as she stepped up next to her and stopped. "Your Captain here drives a hard bargain, looking out for her crew." She paused. "Is it risky, why you bet your ass it is...every time you leave Atmo you're at risk. But I guess you do have a choice, just walk back down the ramp or jump on this opportunity and get off this rock for good."

Tara hoped her response would suffice and no one would decide to relinquish their position on Mischief.
"Oh one last thing, as for 'Our' Benefactor, you'll meet him soon enough. We'll be picking him up on Santo, our first stop. It seems he is willing to get his hands dirty on this little venture."

Emerson Bell

Em listened closely to the woman, not blinking or losing contact with the woman's face even if she looked to others.  She followed every word an analyzed sizing up the woman and at the same time the Captain through her words.  After she finished her spiel Emerson slid her arms down resting them on her hips.  She paused a moment before her stone-cold glare turned into a smirk.  She circled the woman slowly as she pondered the possible outcomes and inferences.

"Alright."  She spun a chair around and shoved it between her legs, arms resting on the back of the chair as she leaned forward into it.

"You've a pilot so long as you need one.  Just so long as I know who I'm dealing with and so long as you'll have me."

Bell liked the woman, pretentious as she was.  Maybe some of the crew might not have caught it but she had grown up with pretentious social elites her whole life and this Tara reeked of it.  She half wanted to glance over at the meathead to see if he knew what surreptitious meant but fought off the urge.  It wasn't about the pay with her, nor the adventure or action.  Emerson didn't really know what it was she was flying towards or if it was just what she was flying away from.  Either way at this moment she had decided she was home and no one aboard this ship would come to harm so long as she was at the helm.  Maybe she would even find out what it truly was she was looking for.

"So.  Where do we start?"

Andes Maley

Andes watched Emerson's body movement, crossed arms to hips, deliberately putting a chair back in between herself and Tara; it seemed the pilot was on the defensive.

As much as he enjoyed watching her body movement, he swung his eyes over the group to see any other reactions.

Tara Marx

"So.  Where do we start?"

Tara was satisfied with the first round of questioning, she was sure there would be more at some point, but now it was time to get to work.
"To start with we can take the Captain's repair list and triage it so to speak and get to work on the most critical components first...." She was cut off by the sound emanating from her bag. "Oh hold that thought I have to check this." Tara retrieved a small communication device from her bag and as she read the message a smile quickly grew on her face. She tapped out a quick reply and turned off the device as she once again addressed the group. "Well good news, it seems one of my old crew will be able to join us after all, she should be here soon...many hands make light work."

Cyril Leland Wade

March 19, 2018, 08:21:31 AM #51 Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:28:11 PM by PurpleRiver
FLASH FORWARD
Somewhere in Eavesdown Docks

"Not feeling so lucky today, are ya?"

Cyril "Lucky" Wade rolled his eyes. People just loved to make that joke and they almost always seemed to think they were the first to ever come up with it. In fact, Lucky kind of got a kick out of it. I mean, he chose to go by that nickname for a reason, he was pretty much asking for the lame jokes. It meant people remembered the name.

"Is that really the best ya got?" Lucky drawled in the treacle accent of Three Hills. He didn't mean the joke. He meant the heavy right cross that had just pummeled across his left cheek.

He worked his jaw and shook his head, tossing his shaggy blonde hair about. Thick cords had been wrapped around his torso and arms, strapping him tightly to the chair in the dank and dimly-lit room.

"Where is she?" the unidentified heavy asked again.

Lucky looked at him in mock confusion. "Who?" he asked, pretending to be confused. Perhaps as if the punch to his head had knocked him senseless.

"Tara Marx!" the heavy bellowed.

Addison Michael Carver

Addison watched and listened as the crew were briefed and discussion went before him. Most of the crew were agreeable, and who wouldn't be for a few credits in this day and age? Emerson however wasn't afraid to ask a few pressing questions. Before Addison could provide a slick answer, Tara explained herself quite well and left the situation without any need of being defused. Addison nodded and smiled in agreement with everyone elses cohesion.

"Well good news, it seems one of my old crew will be able to join us after all, she should be here soon...many hands make light work."

"Another extra hand?" Addison said with some surprise as Tara inserted someone else onto their ship. "Very welcome of course. Just be sure not to fill up too many bunks or Chris and I might be sleeping in the corridors."

"When might we expect this addition?"

Tara Marx

March 22, 2018, 02:37:44 PM #53 Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:30:19 PM by Tara Marx
"When might we expect this addition?"

Addison asked after he seemed taken aback by Tara's addition.
"She should arrive in a few days, four tops if she misses her connection." Tara quickly responded. "Her name is Mattie, one of my security personnel."

[EXIT TO: S02E01 - Hunting Gryphons - Day 17 -  Better Lucky Than Good.]