Home :: Help :: Team :: Members :: Login :: Register

+ Finding Serenity  » Character Memoirs  » Diaries/Journals 
|- A Pile of Well-Worn Paper 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

collapse

* Quick Links

* Chat

Refresh History
  • Desertpuma: once the ship gets going, will she survive Ronin?
    July 22, 2017, 11:38:44 PM
  • Clare: And the madness begins. Will Ronin be able to survive Velocity?
    July 21, 2017, 10:09:03 AM
  • Scout: If I were to revive any of my old characters Pele would be the one, she was fun. But hell if  I know how I'd fill the time line gap.
    July 19, 2017, 08:42:17 PM
  • Scout: for example I remember Laurie and Velocity having a rivalry but not really the details of it or Laurie's relationship with any other crew members
    July 19, 2017, 08:40:54 PM
  • Scout: I have all my old character bios saved but I wish I also had pre-crash posts because my memory of them is so fuzzy
    July 19, 2017, 08:39:38 PM
  • Scout: History is good
    July 19, 2017, 08:38:55 PM
  • Clare: I'm a bad, bad girl
    July 19, 2017, 07:58:45 PM
  • Clare: Beth and Ian have history which is why I was thinking of dropping her in, given the situation between Ian and Abbey :D
    July 19, 2017, 07:58:39 PM
  • Scout: Plus confession: I'm scared of playing mechanics because I am very bad at both actual engineering and writing technobabble nonsense :D
    July 19, 2017, 03:58:00 PM
  • Scout: I guess Bri could be re-worked into a mechanic fairly easily, but I didn't get to play with her enough for her to come into her own so I don't really even remember where I was going with her at this point
    July 19, 2017, 03:57:20 PM
  • Scout: Mattie's just a gunhand
    July 19, 2017, 08:29:30 AM
  • Clare: I guess she could have retrained as a mechanic in the intervening years
    July 19, 2017, 07:35:13 AM
  • Clare: If the ship needed a geologist, throwing Beth into the mix could be amusing :D
    July 19, 2017, 07:32:38 AM
  • Velocity Grey-Lambert: Hopefully she won't drive everyone insane
    July 19, 2017, 07:31:58 AM
  • Desertpuma: also in need of a mechanic, another skill that is not Lin's strength but he can handle many basic repairs
    July 19, 2017, 12:53:37 AM
  • Desertpuma: In answer to your queries .. the only people on board Ronin that are posting are myself, Abbey and Ian. The ship is grounded and there was an intermittent message call sent out. Lin is a passable pilot but not much beyond the basics. So Velocity would be welcome
    July 19, 2017, 12:52:57 AM
  • Desertpuma: Good to see the site back up .. got an email notice of a couple of threads getting responses so I thought I would check in.
    July 19, 2017, 12:51:14 AM
  • Clare: Velocity has never forgiven the parrot, even though she can't normally remember it
    July 18, 2017, 07:49:47 PM
  • Scout: just zombie deer, and even those only in her nightmares
    July 18, 2017, 07:18:37 PM
  • Scout: ha ha yeah, no parrots for Mattie
    July 18, 2017, 07:16:16 PM

* Affiliated Sites

The Verse Online Crusader Citadel Dreaming
TNButton
The Yalanzen Chronicles

Warlands

Find and vote for us at

Vote for us at
Top RP Sites
Voting button photo Dietop100.jpg

Find us on
RPG-D photo Abuttonresize_zps4c320df2.pngDistant Fantasies

Author Topic: A Pile of Well-Worn Paper  (Read 612 times)

Description: A chain of letters from Izak to his sister Anna
  • Trainee
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A Pile of Well-Worn Paper
« on: June 14, 2016, 05:29:01 PM »
Dear Anna,

I know its been a while since I wrote you, so to start, I wanted to apologize for my silence. While I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm roughing it out here, I've been doing a lot of planet hopping lately with a salvage company out around the Georgia system. It isn't the easiest work, but I spend most of my time behind the controls of the bulk freighter we use as a headquarters and flying dry dock of sorts. I usually don't like flying something so large but it keeps my skills sharp. Most companies out here don't seem to really care if you have a license or not, but it keeps the "Alliance Officers happy if you do", so I've been told. And as for mom's question, yes I'm still very picky about the women I associate with. My reputation is that of a gentleman pilot, and I intend to keep it that way.

How are you? Did that shipping company executive turn out to be worth the time? He sounded a little too work-driven for you in your last letter. Is mom doing well? Dad was always so concerned about his job, even when he's not working, or on one of his seething rants about my "defiance of his vision". That is if he still cares at all. What of our brother? He still being groomed to be an "academy man" as dad so wanted me to be?

Sorry for the disdain I have for him. Perhaps I should not be so harsh, although it was his dream, not mine.

Otherwise, "all is well and right with the world" as mom would say. I'm not at a loss for friends or work, and I'm staying out of trouble. Give everyone my best.

Your brother,
Izak
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:00:32 PM by Izak Archer »

Re: A Pile of Well-Worn Paper

• Trainee
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 03:49:15 PM »
Dear Anna,

I'd say I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out with the company executive, but you sound rather happy with the result! Come to think of it though, we might have brought a ship in last week that belonged to his company. I think it was the SS Stellar Horizon? One of those extravagant passenger ships. Engines stalled out in orbit over Hera, some kind of luxury site-seeing tour vessel. It was stunning to be sure, even under tow. I got a chance to go inside and advise their engineers and mechanics on the getting the engines running under half-power so they could land, and even though we were getting paid quite a bit, I still was offered a free dinner (much to the chagrin of my crewmates).

You should have seen what they did with this ship. Gold fixtures and marble floors in the bathrooms, wood paneling and wall-to-wall carpeting in the rooms where people view the 'verse. It was impressive to be sure. I couldn't even imagine what people were paying for a flight. This place was a pirates dream come true. Not that the passengers were happy for our help, but at least the crew was.

I'm glad to here mom and dad are doing well at least. It had been a long time since they were truly happy. Maybe my own defiance helped in that. A pity though that our brother has another year to go until he can take the test for the academy he seemed so excited about that years ago. Having his own frigate at his command. Let's hope if he does make it that far I never embarrass him by getting in trouble! Wouldn't that be worth a laugh?

I'll write again soon.

Your Brother,
Izak
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:00:10 PM by Izak Archer »

• Trainee
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 06:19:32 PM »
Dear Anna,

Well, one could say I've been rather restless lately. I'm keeping my skills sharp to be sure, but being a salvager was not what I had in mind for a career. I've begun looking for small merchant ships or companies for employment, as I'll get to handle more ships that way than would here, working as a mechanic. I'm hoping to stay around Kalidasa or Georgia. Close enough to home, but still far off enough to keep it interesting.

It's nice to know that our brother is on his way to the academy. Dad should certainly be happy with that bit of news. Although its another four years of schooling that our brother certainly will hate, but perhaps he's just in it to make a name for himself like dad was - not saying that I had a problem with his motives, but I just feel differently. The 'Verse had much to more to offer than a name for me. I already had one after all.

As for your search for a suitor, all I can say is good luck. You've dealt with two brothers for years, so you know how tedious we men can be sometimes. I hope everything else is going well.

Your Brother,
Izak
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:59:50 PM by Izak Archer »

• Trainee
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:59:22 PM »
Dear Anna,

I haven't heard from you in a couple of months now, I hope everything is alright. Then again, we've been on the move so much lately, I may have missed a letter or two. I've moved onto a small shipping company out here, and it has a rather interesting array of clientele. From the super-wealthy to stiflingly  poor, this company does all sorts of work. Last week we moved a privately commissioned, solid stone statue from New Kasmir to Persephone. It was massive to say the very least. I'll never understand how someone can be so self-absorbed, but to each their own.

Private shipments or not, that didn't mean we went un-accosted by Alliance officers. There's been a spike of smuggling lately, mostly narcotics to the system (but it surprises me that anyone can have fun by getting high). And we fit the description of the type of ships they are looking for. Small bulk freighter coming from the Kalidasa system. After they boarded, they checked my authorization to fly (which cleared) and then promptly turned the entire ship upside down. They even opened the case containing the statue. I'm starting to understand why so many people hate Alliance officers out here, they haven't given much of a reason to be liked.

I would write more,but I cannot find my other pen, and this one is almost out of ink.

Your Brother,
Izak

• Trainee
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 11:16:41 PM »
Dear Anna,

I do apologize for not having written as of late. I know my previous letter was dated months ago and that things have well, been chaotic ever since. I'm staying out of the Black for a while. I found a position serving as a mechanic on a planet nearby and were serve ships as they come through. I'm not moving around much, but the town I'm in is nice enough, and I've met a while array of interesting people thus far.

I'll need to tell you about someone specific though, but that will need to be a letter in itself! She's quite the woman.

However, ships won't fix themselves, and I have three to work on today with the rest of the mechanics here. As always, I remain,

Your Brother,
Izak

• Trainee
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »
Dear Anna,

I hope my lack of writing has nor troubled you. Life has been well, quite different to say the least. I have been spending several hours a day on the ships here. But surprisingly enough, I haven't seen an Alliance vessel in quite some time. I've started to make many friends here and I've discovered I have quite the Poker Face.

But the woman I've met...Her name is Lyss. I think you would like her. She's tough, smart, and quite funny. I'll have to tell you more in my next letter about her. My work here is never done it seems.

Your brother,
Izak