S1E0 - Preparations To Launch

Started by Desertpuma, June 19, 2018, 10:32:17 PM

Dash Winters

Dash fiddled around in search of a drink that suited him, and managed to find an ale that he was favourable to. He'd happily sip from the bottle and he sat with the rest of the crew. Dash looked around at his associates. They all had one up on him, knowing that Elena was the captain and holding to that information tightly. Dash chuckled at the thought, he wasn't one to hold grudges or even be offended for that matter. He saw the humour in it. But it did tell him that maybe he should be listening instead of speaking. There was an old saying that said as much, but Dash couldn't remember all of it, in fact he recalled interrupting it with a thought of his own.

Dash took a somewhat reserved seat with the group and watched the interplay between everybody, a soft smile on his features as he assessed the group. Most interesting of all was Maxwell and his outburst. He was an interesting, slight intimidating, character. And now Dash couldn't keep his lips together. He considered opposing the motion, defending the ones the comment had been directed at, or even calling out extreme behaviour. But he settled on a softer approach.

"Hey Graves." He spoke, getting the mans attention. "Just what do you like to do to unwind?" This was after all a nice social gathering. The new mechanic wondered what it would take to settle down the security veteran. There had to be a softer side to him.

Benjamin Street

Quote"Captain." "Elena," "ELENNNAAAAAAA.....ELENA."

"Do you think she heard me?"

Ben watched and listened as Jesse called, and then yelled, after Elena. He couldn't help but grin. It hadn't been his intention, but he was quite amused by it... though he wasn't at all sure how Elena would react to it. He imagined companions didn't get yelled after a lot. He chuckled and was about to reply when Max abruptly got up and headed towards them, with what almost looked like murderous intent. Ben felt a shot of adrenaline shoot through him as his fight or flight response tripped.

Quote"I assure you, The Captain is far too concerned with more pertinent affairs to socialize."

Max said as he pulled up a chair and slammed his bottle of alcohol down onto the table. Ben's eyes narrowed behind a poker-face expression, and his gut reaction was that Max would need to be put in his place, likely sooner rather than later. Clearly he was qualified for his position, but the attitude he was displaying was less than agreeable to say the least. Grumpy was fine, but the open hostility he was now exhibiting was definitely not.

Quote"Every corpse in Serenity Valley heard you!" Maxell grumbled, leveling a look toward Benjamin before casting a glare at Jesse. "I would suggest showing a bit of restraint with that tequila. As I understand, most stowaways compose themselves with a bit more... Subtlety."

Ben's expression changed at the mention of corpses in Serenity Valley. The lopsided half smile he wore vanished, as his lips became a hard line, and his eyes took on a dangerous glint. So the man was an eavesdropper as well, that was the only thing that made sense as to why he would call Jesse a stowaway.

Ben looked directly at Maxell. "Perdono, Mr Graves. This was to be a friendly little shindig for the crew to enjoy themselves and get to know each other, if you aren't going to be friendly than I wonder if you might better enjoy that bottle in your room. Capisci?" When he spoke his voice was quiet and casual, but the edge in it was unmistakable. He maintained eye contact with the man until Elena approached, having apparently indeed heard Jesse's yell.

"Mie scuse, Elena. I mentioned that I was going to go try and bring you back to the party, and Jesse here decided to try and save me a trip." He smiled, in what he hoped what a placating manor. "I'm sure you have many important things to do that could totally wait until tomorrow, one of which I hope you'll have time for is a meeting with Jesse and Myself. Annnnd since you're already here, why don't you grab a drink and stay a while! After all, its not a real party without the Captain."

He was also aware of Brenna and Riggs entering the room and getting a drink together, still seemingly involved in conversation. If Brenna looked over Ben would catch her eye and give her a friendly smile.

Dash also chimed in, in what Ben assumed was an attempt to defuse the budding situation wit Maxell, or at least to distract the man.

Jesse Walker

Quote"I assure you, The Captain is far too concerned with more pertinent affairs to socialize."

Jesse looked over at Max who had come over in a huff. He was a very angry man, and she just didn't see why, like what was the point? And how did he know? Socializing with her and the others was very important, at least in Jesse's book it was, then again, that might have been the tequila talking. All the same, "Maxy, why are you so grumpy all the time? You should turn that frown upside down." She offered him a wide grin, which was quickly wiped away but Max's next comment,

Quote"Every corpse in Serenity Valley heard you!" Maxell grumbled, leveling a look toward Benjamin before casting a glare at Jesse. "I would suggest showing a bit of restraint with that tequila. As I understand, most stowaways compose themselves with a bit more... Subtlety."

How did he know? She looked at Ben who also seemed unsettled by the information, she glared back and maintaining eye contact grabbed the bottle of tequila off the table and took a swig, slamming it back down, her own act of defiance. Dash quickly attempted to diffuse the situation, probably a better tactic than Jesse was about to choose,

Quote"Hey Graves." He spoke, getting the mans attention. "Just what do you like to do to unwind?"

Benji chimed in, her knight in shining space pants,

Quote"Perdono, Mr Graves. This was to be a friendly little shindig for the crew to enjoy themselves and get to know each other, if you aren't going to be friendly than I wonder if you might better enjoy that bottle in your room. Capisci?"

She nodded affirming Ben's statement, slightly afraid of saying anything more, she wasn't sure if Graves would throw her out the airlock, but enough people were that she was sure would help her at this point.  Still, the information was unsettling. Though the amount of tequila she had consumed had dulled any senses preventing a panic attack from forming.

Elena made her way over, after being summoned, Ben again, coming to her rescue, she made a mental note to thank him later,

Quote"Mie scuse, Elena. I mentioned that I was going to go try and bring you back to the party, and Jesse here decided to try and save me a trip." He smiled, in what he hoped what a placating manor. "I'm sure you have many important things to do that could totally wait until tomorrow, one of which I hope you'll have time for is a meeting with Jesse and Myself. Annnnd since you're already here, why don't you grab a drink and stay a while! After all, its not a real party without the Captain."

Jesse took another swig from the bottle and nodded, she held out the bottle to Elena, "Yes that, what he said. Captains can have fun too." She smiled attempting to offer the proverbial olive branch to the woman who would later decide her fate.  The thought making her stomach turn, but Elena now seemed slightly more docile than before, but perhaps that's in comparison to Max.

Brenna Casey

Things had been going rather well with the party, despite Jesse's yelling for Elena and Max's dour mood darkening whatever small section of the room he chose to occupy. That was until Max had spoken words that had filtered across the conversations and begun to echo around in Brenna's head. They rattled and jarred, making her stiffen visibly briefly as memory replaced real sight. The fields and hills, the screams of the dying and the eerie silence of the dead. Knuckles turned white as her fingers gripped the glass in her hand, but she dared not turn.

Quote from: Maxell Graves on August 10, 2018, 07:58:17 PM
"Every corpse in Serenity Valley heard you!"

For a brief moment, her face went as pale as the white envelope still clutched in her fingers. However, it didn't last for more than a couple of seconds. Memories of the war, of those long, dark days faded, replaced by the corridors of the facility she'd spent nearly five years working in. Room upon room of cold storage, some rooms with standard morgue doors and some with far more and far smaller doors. A couple of slow blinks began to clear the memories and she lowered her glass to the bar, releasing her vice grip on it and found her eyes drawn to the envelope. Suddenly, the words echoing in her mind became oh so terribly amusing. Laughter hardly seemed appropriate given the gravity of what Max had said, but Brenna knew, he was both completely wrong and completely right all at once.

Quote from: Dash Winters on August 11, 2018, 11:11:36 PM
"Hey Graves. Just what do you like to do to unwind?"

Brenna's head turned towards the voice, somehow not surprised to find Dash asking that question. After their chat earlier, it fit what she knew of him so far. The smile on her lips grew as she continued to fight back the laughter. Then there was Ben and Jesse both, asking Elena to stay and enjoy the party with her crew. It was all Brenna could do to choke back a laugh and she turned away from the rest of the crew and put her free hand over her mouth as the remainder of the laugh slipped through smiling lips. Fighting for control, she cleared her throat and looked to Damien before leaning in and speaking to him in a hushed voice. "She might want rescuing shortly, particularly from the antics of my patient. Keep a sharp eye out. You know her signals. I'll see what I can do to distract the patient."

Asking for a refill, she waited until her drink had been refreshed, saluted Damien with the glass and then moved away from the bar. As she approached the table nearest where Ben and Jesse were seated, she tried to catch Dash's attention and motion for him to join them. On her face was a look of amusement that was at odds with the tension rising, but she slid into a seat and looked first to Elena. "Sorry, I was waylaid in the hall by our chef. I'll try to keep closer watch on her." Blue eyes turned to Ben and Jesse. "No more for her," she pointed to Jesse, the look of amusement still playing across her face, laughter unspent in her eyes.

Riggs

August 16, 2018, 05:37:29 PM #124 Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 05:39:35 PM by Riggs
"She might want rescuing shortly, particularly from the antics of my patient. Keep a sharp eye out. You know her signals. I'll see what I can do to distract the patient."

Damien waved her on as Brenna moved in to rescue the Captain. The Chef lingered at the bar for a time ordering another glass of Shimmerwine. From his vantage point he could see most of the room. He sipped the precocious beverage as he quietly watched the goings-on, smiling from time to time. After a few minutes he decided to join the others and lend Miss Casey a hand if required. "Great little shindig Captain Marseille, thank you." Damien nodded a welcome to the others gathered about and lifted his sparking glass in a salute to them. He eyed an empty chair and motioned toward it..."Mind if I join you all?" It was the sort of question asked in the manner of inviting oneself as he circled around the table and eased into a dark stained oaken chair.

' H o p e ... I s   N o t   A   C o u r s e   O f   A c t i o n ! '

Maxell Graves

Max's glare leveled with the thinly veiled threat in Street's eyes. Heh. So... he was challenging me after all. You stupid, cocksure rebel pup. The rest of the conversation faded away, even Jesse's attempted retort. Some fires never really go out. Infernos die to embers, smoldering away at this patch or that, finally catching again on just the right pile of tinder before consuming the forest all over again. In this instance, the unspoken grudge of a long-ended war had been the embers, Jesse the tinder, and all of Allure the thriving environment about to turn to ash under the growing might of Max and Ben's inferno. Theirs, and that of everyone who ever bore a crisp, gray uniform or a tattered brown coat.

Max squeezed the glass in his hand so hard the bottle visibly quivered. A few comments floated by as the ringing in his ears subsided. Finally, Dash's question broke through.

Quote from: Dash Winters on August 11, 2018, 11:11:36 PM"Hey Graves." He spoke, getting the mans attention. "Just what do you like to do to unwind?"

The marine's eyes narrowed as he slowly peeled them away from Street. His teeth still grit, Maxell answered Dash's question. "I collect," the retired major growled, "advanced firearms and Earth-That-Was artifacts. What do you do, Winters? Besides bumble your way from boat to boat selling your services in search of a meal ticket?"
The bugle sounds - the charge begins, But on this battlefield no one wins
The smell of acrid smoke and horse's breath, As I plunge on into certain death

Iron Maiden, "The Trooper"

Elena

"Hey Graves. Just what do you like to do to unwind?" Dash asked in a noble attempt to ease the growing tension. Which was something Elena could appreciate. The last thing this ship needed was a reenactment of the war. She offered him a slight tilt of her head and the barest hint of a smile in thanks.

"Mie scuse, Elena. I mentioned that I was going to go try and bring you back to the party, and Jesse here decided to try and save me a trip. I'm sure you have many important things to do that could totally wait until tomorrow, one of which I hope you'll have time for is a meeting with Jesse and Myself. Annnnd since you're already here, why don't you grab a drink and stay a while! After all, its not a real party without the Captain," Ben offered kindly.

"Yes that, what he said. Captains can have fun too," Jesses added, clearly very inebriated.

Elena looked over the pair of them with a raised brow. My, they were getting along quite well, weren't they? While she supposed that was what she wanted, as a Captain, she did find it a little concerning, as a human being. They seemed the type to make all sorts of trouble when put in the same room. "Perhaps I can stay," she decided, thinking she ought to stick around more for the safety of the crew than for her own need to drink and make merry. But she nodded and looked between them to acknowledge her receipt of their need to meet with her in the morning.

"Sorry, I was waylaid in the hall by our chef. I'll try to keep closer watch on her," Brenna assured Elena.

"Great little shindig Captain Marseille, thank you," Damien thanked.

Cobalt gaze settled upon Damien and she smiled slowly, nodding her chin in thanks although she did find herself a little at a loss by the way the title sounded coming from him. It was proper, of course, she she was keen on keeping things neat and tidy, but it made her shoulders tense and her jaw clench ever so slightly. She wasn't sure she liked him calling her anything other than her name. With another soft smile is direction, Elena's gaze shifted over to her friend Brenna, a subtle 'help me' apparent in the twinkling of her gaze. She'd need the doctor to keep an eye on their comp tech, especially now that she was three sheets to the wind, or she imagined Max might kill her. Or, Elena might. It was all up to Jesse, really, with who wanted to maim her first. Still, she was growing on the Captain, much in the way moss grew on the side of an unaware and unwilling building.

"I collect advanced firearms and Earth-That-Was artifacts. What do you do, Winters? Besides bumble your way from boat to boat selling your services in search of a meal ticket?" Max asked poor Dash.

With a deep breath, Elena moved to set her hand gently atop Max's shoulder, palm cool against the warmth rising up from him and threatening to burn their ship to the ground. She didn't say anything to either of them but the stern chill on her face might've been enough to diffuse the situation for now. Or it might not have. She figured at some point she was going to have to let them work their problems out in the cargo hold or perhaps later on in the lounge. Sometimes, two, or in this case two and a half as she reasoned that Dash likely did not have a personal problem with Max, people were only able to function properly after they'd been able to work past the tension holding them apart.

Dash Winters

At the response to his question, Dash burst in to laughter. He couldn't deny the show he had delivered upon arrival to this ship, and took the jab in best spirits.

"I help people Mister Graves. Whether it be keeping their ship in the air," he looked to Elena, "or making sure they're not overthinking things," and he looked to Brenna, "I just think everyone looks better wit a smile on their face." His own commonly placed grin followed.

"Maybe I can help you one of these days."

He pondered for a moment. "I think I'd rather put an artifact in your hand, than a gun."

Jesse Walker

Jesse was coming down from her drunken escapade (sadly) as Brenna had come over. 

Quote"Sorry, I was waylaid in the hall by our chef. I'll try to keep closer watch on her." Blue eyes turned to Ben and Jesse. "No more for her,"

Raising a brow Jesse looked back at Brenna, "She can determine how much she wants, and can or cannot have. Thank you, very much." She nodded affirmatively, the sass coming out of the bottle, so to speak.

The idea of someone trying to tell her what to do or control her just rubbed her the wrong way. It was at that point that the chef had come around taking a seat on the other side of the table. He was the quiet sort, but about a gorgeous as the rest of the male crew on board. Really, what was Elena up to. However, Jesse turned away from Elena, content with her decision to stay and distance to the group for now.  She put her feet up on the table and crossed her arms, slinking down in the chair slightly.

She watched Max staring with intensity at Benji, she'd be worried about his well being, but C'mon, let's be real. Smirking at her own internal monologue, Christ, I'm hilarious. However Dash found a way to break through to the burly beast of a man.

Quote"I collect," the retired major growled, "advanced firearms and Earth-That-Was artifacts. What do you do, Winters? Besides bumble your way from boat to boat selling your services in search of a meal ticket?"

Suppressing a snicker, Jesse did what she could to avoid looking at the red faced monster, adjusting her view to something more appealing.  Making eye contact with Benji she pulled her lips inward, her eyes widening, the laugh trying to force it's way through. This man, the most violent person on board, clearly, liked to collect junk. Old junk. Very, old junk.  Well sociopaths have fun too.

Quote"I help people Mister Graves. Whether it be keeping their ship in the air," he looked to Elena, "or making sure they're not overthinking things," and he looked to Brenna, "I just think everyone looks better wit a smile on their face." His own commonly placed grin followed.

"Maybe I can help you one of these days."

Dash bless his heart, she was distracted (again) from the overall conversation and looked back at Brenna wondering, they seem chummy. Looking back at Ben trying to communicate her thoughts with him, about the goings on, it would be so much easier if he wasn't so far away. 

QuoteHe pondered for a moment. "I think I'd rather put an artifact in your hand, than a gun."

Her eyes darted back to Dash and nodded vehemently,  "Amen to that, the rest of you might be happy this man is in charge of security, but I for one will be sleeping with one eye open." Okay, maybe the tequila wasn't totally out of her system yet.

Brenna Casey

August 24, 2018, 11:10:34 PM #129 Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:14:10 PM by Brenna Casey
Brenna shook her head at Jesse's sass. Granted, she'd only been 'playing' doctor with her comment about the woman not having anymore and gave Jesse a smile that indicated she was teasing. This was, after all, a party. Still, the last thing she wanted to deal with was alcohol poisoning. "Fine, you decide how much you want to drink, but I claim the privilege to use anything you shout out across the ship as future means to repay your 'kindness' for that 'soft hands' comment today." Lifting her own brow at Jesse, Brenna raised her glass and was just about to take a drink when Dash responded to Mr. Graves.

She'd been hoping Elena's presence would diffuse that situation, but Dash had insisted on replying. What he said had her staring at the man, their previous conversation resurfacing in her mind. Silently, she toasted him and drank. Her eyes wandered from Dash, stopping on Elena for a moment. She understood the look from her friend and captain, but shared one of her own. Mr. Graves probably needed to be removed from the immediate situation and not just for the sake of the crew. There was a vein in his forehead that was worrisome.

Quote from: Riggs on August 16, 2018, 05:37:29 PM
"Mind if I join you all?"

Brenna admired Damien for how relaxed he was about everything and the irony she'd seen earlier returned. Setting down her glass, she leaned back in her seat, carefully putting one hand over her lips as the laugh attempted to return. It took her a moment to regain control before she looked to Jesse. "You can always hide out in my room. Puts you under 'doctor patient privilege'. Would also give me a chance to check up on that 'disease' thing you keep mentioning." Perhaps it wasn't as overt as she'd been during a few shouting matches during the war, but it was subtle message of protection followed by what she hoped would be a conversation shift away from the tenseness building.

Maxell Graves

Maxell barely registered Brenna and Damien joining the group, his eyes darting from Jesse to Ben to Dash to Ben to Jesse to Dash, trying to determine the first of them to discharge with extreme prejudice. His grip choked up on the bottle of bourbon's stout neck as his eyes narrowed to focus. "Gorram cataracts," the Marine lamented internally, "I should've worn my glasses. Hrrmm... I should've brought a gun." The first mistake he could only blame on his own pride. He liked to pretend the spectacles only served to help him read, a by product of his very quiet and oh so understated ego. Grumbling incoherently into the bottle as he pulled another swig, Maxell almost choked as his body tensed as an overwhelmingly familiar scent reminded him why he made the second error.

Quote from: Elena on August 20, 2018, 10:18:57 PM
With a deep breath, Elena moved to set her hand gently atop Max's shoulder, palm cool against the warmth rising up from him and threatening to burn their ship to the ground. She didn't say anything to either of them but the stern chill on her face might've been enough to diffuse the situation for now.

Confusing Elena's look for one of silent, hidden approval, the tension in Maxell's shoulders slowly released like that of an angry dog succumbing to it's master's soothing caress. Air expelled from his lungs like a steam vent, releasing a good deal of his anger. His complexion even softened, going from beet red to a subtle pink blush. Probably a good thing for Dash, who for whatever reason seemed intent on keeping Maxell's attention.

Quote from: Dash Winters on August 23, 2018, 11:34:02 PM
"I help people Mister Graves. Whether it be keeping their ship in the air," "or making sure they're not overthinking things," "I just think everyone looks better wit a smile on their face." "Maybe I can help you one of these days." "I think I'd rather put an artifact in your hand, than a gun."

Maxell leaned in towards Dash, offering him a smile of sorts in return: an unpracticed, awkward, horrifying thing. "Are you a collector, Winters? I find my shelves sorely lacking in proper reading materials. Cortex pads may offer a seemingly limitless expanse of information, but if you want to help just put a good, hardbound book in my hands. Something about the feel of the paper... And the smell..." Maxell's eyes broke from Dash and drifted back to Elena in an untoward fashion. Flushing, his eyes darting about the table again. His brow furrowed in confusion as Brenna and Damien suddenly appeared where surely they'd been missing before. The confusion turned to an expression of impending inquiry, but as his lips pursed before he could ask about the pilot's lack of attendance Jesse cut him off.

Quote from: Jesse Walker on August 24, 2018, 08:00:40 PM
"Amen to that, the rest of you might be happy this man is in charge of security, but I for one will be sleeping with one eye open."

Maxell stared a hole in Jesse for a brief moment, all that broken tension threatening to return and bore down on and bury the gathered crew like an avalanche. Finally he shrugged, raising the bottle of bourbon in a genuine attempt at a toast. "Well, at least you're not as stupid as you look. Cheers!"

Dash Winters

Dash grinned, as Maxwell seemed to... break? At the very least it was a more welcome side of him. And a nice little challenge landed in his lap too. An old fashioned book. Not the easiest thing to come by, but he felt it would do a world of good. "I'll keep an eye out for 'Socialising for Dummies,' should take the pressure of a lot of us."

Raising a glass, the new mechanic was glad to join in on the toast then even more glad +to down his beverage. "So it's a celebration right? Alcohol is taken care of. We got any musical numbers? Hey Brenna, grab your guitar!" He demanded, the idea lightning up his mind.

Elena

September 13, 2018, 06:43:20 PM #132 Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:57:05 PM by Elena
The Morning of the Maiden Voyage: Local Time 7:00AM

The Launch Party had gone off without too large of a hitch, not accounting for the momentary awkwardness caused by grumpy demeanors and alcohol fueled honesty. Crew members had been able to get to know one another in a state of semi-relaxation before they'd need to buckle down and work. The day after the party and the Captain's speech had been spend preparing for the Alliance Officer's upcoming arrival. System Checks were run and triple checked, supplies and cargo were organized and logged, and the ship itself had been cleaned thoroughly and all the decorations and furnishings repaired, replaced, or set into their final locations.

Half of the aft storage was sectioned off for the House's overflow, while a partition had been set up to keep Maxell Grave's collection tidy, organized, and safe from prying eyes and wandering hands. The kitchens had been fully stocked thanks to the much appreciated help of one Mr. Underwood, ensuring that Damien would have full access to all the necessary supplies required to feed a handful of top Military Brass to their relative satisfaction. Any parts that had been missing or requested by their new mechanic were promptly purchased and deposited in the work room that would become Dash Winter's second home and the same could be said for medical supplies their resident doctor thought were in too short supply or that the Guild and House had simply not thought of before she'd arrived.

Countless simulations were run by the ships copilot, leaving all systems checked and accounted for and thus no longer requiring such rigid and intense calibration. Some time the day before, Maxell had taken the opportunity to politely escort their tech stowaway off the ship. He'd done her a service in not informing the authorities of her crime, but had warned her to stay away and to make better choices. Sure, the restrain required to do so had nearly burst a blood vessel, but he'd managed for the sake of the reputation of the ship and its Captain. The news of her departure had yet to be relayed to the ship's crew, although the Captain had been made aware of the severity of the situation before he'd attended to it on his own.

-----

Having woken up a couple of hours ago, likely from a mixture of nerves and excitement, Elena walked slowly through the halls of the waking ship, her steps echoing softly through the walkway. She moved from her quarters to the horticulture section of the ship, a beautiful tan cat with a black face and vivid blue eyes curled up in her arms. The crimson lehenga she wore was trimmed in intricate gold embroidery, the cat's collar the same shade of red, its bell a matching golden hue. The thin chiffon sari over her shoulder fluttered behind her as she walked, her perfectly sculpted chocolate waves framing her face, cherry lips pulled upward in a relaxed smile. They still had some time before their guests arrived and the Captain hoped her crew was getting ready seriously. While she enjoyed allowing them their laughter and their wild spirits, she wanted to be sure they'd be professional when the time came. Although, truly, she had no doubt in them.

She needed to speak with several of her crew members before they took off, namely Maxell, and separately Jesse and Ben, however she figured they would come to her when they felt ready to speak, although she might need to call Mister Graves to her. She doubted he'd barge in and relay his information without a formal invitation, and that only broadened her smile.

Benjamin Street

Benji was currently on the bridge. He'd woken early from excitement and had been there since a little before 5am local time. It had been far to long since he'd actually flown something and the anticipation was killing him. Thanks to Karyn's impressive amount of simulations and calibrations the ships systems were all in just about perfect order and he'd only had to tweak one or two things purely for personal preference.

Now he was just sitting there in the pilots seat, at a slight angle, enough for him to stretch out his long legs. He was dressed as usual in boots, jeans, T shirt, a brown leather jacket left unbuttoned, and his sidearm holstered on his right hip. The only addition to his attire was the shiny new XOs badge pinned above the jackets left breast pocket.

A large mug now empty of coffee sat atop the console as he absentmindedly tabbed through system readouts and did his best to fight the urge to warm up the engines. The previous day had been spent nursing hangovers and prepping for their passengers arrival, and as such there hadn't been time yet for himself and Jesse to talk to Elena about Jesse's... predicament. But they were supposed to do so this morning before the passengers arrived, and Ben had sent a ping to Jesse's cortex pad to come find him when she was ready/awake.

He sighed and looked around the bridge, thought he heard a door open somewhere in the ship through the open bridge door, and then stared wistfully at his empty coffee mug. He decided he'd give it 15 more minutes and then go get a refill and see if anyone else was actually up.

Honor Saxton

Honor had bowed out of the welcoming party and had mostly kept to herself.  There were things to inventory.  Equipment that needed final inspection before their voyage began.  She was meticulous about what she did, checking it time and time again.  Probably more than normal, but there was nothing wrong with being diligent.

But now, she sat in the Galley at the table with her hands wrapped around a mug of coffee.  She was so nervous that she felt immobile.  But while it wasn't the job that had her quaking.  It was the fact that today they would be launching into the black.  Her now home, which she was finally settling into a bit would then basically be sealed up tight.

With no place to go.

The storage areas were big, but with no windows, they only offered a modicum of relief.

She found herself wondering if taking this job was smart.  Someone like her in a spaceship.  What was she thinking of?

Then the panic began to well up in her and she looked around until she saw the cockpit.  The bridge has windows right?  Of course they do!  The pilot has to be able to see.

As the panic attack grew, she stood up quickly and basically bolted for the cockpit's open door.  What she didn't expect was to see anyone there and Benjamin Street gave her quite a startle that she basically screamed.

Slapping her slightly shaking hand over her mouth in mortification, she looked at him like she was a deer in the headlights.  After a second she moved so her trembling hands went about smoothing the silky robe she was wearing.

"I'm sorry.  I didn't see you," she explained quietly.  "It's just that...  I needed to...  See, I have this..."

She was tongue tied again in front of the XO.  Fantastic.

"There are windows here," she said, trying to explain as she looked down at the floor at her bare feet. 

But that just sounded stupid, so she then wrapped her arms across her chest.

"I'm claustrophobic.  Stupid huh?"

That's when she noticed she was still wearing her pajamas.  Nothing wrong with that, but in this instance when she was already off kilter, it just made things a little more uncomfortable.

Maxell Graves

The smell of gun oil hung heavy in Maxell's nostrils, clinging to hairs growing longer with his age as he cleaned and shined the length of the barrel until the glint of machinery matched his freshly shaved scalp. If Lady - Captain - Elena intended to play host to a company of Alliance soldiers Maxell intended to project an image they could appreciate and - more importantly - respect. He remembered all too well the rowdy antics of poorly disciplined enlisted men and women on leave, particularly in the presence of games and companions. Add alcohol to the mix and, without a unifying enemy to rally against, the likelihood of squad power struggles and rivalries spilling over to bar fights tripled. Perhaps he should make Street's former loyalties known, assuming Allure's XO possessed more sense than to discuss his previous allegiance.

The idea of Street surrounded by gray jackets and jackboots brought a wry smile to Maxell's lips, though once he caught his mind drifting and his visage warming he forced himself out of the daydream. Perhaps it'd been the Old Earth Style, or maybe he actually missed being part of a crew, but he felt himself softening over the previous day or so - not enough to lose his practiced edge, though the momentary flight of fancy caused some concern. The chromedome commando shot an icy, accusatory glare at the direction of Dash's bunk before refocusing on the twisting the brush along the the inside of the barrel to clean the rifling. A spiraling lead ball made for a more accurate shot, and accuracy stood paramount when it came to a potential firefight aboard a ship.

Not that Maxell fancied for a moment that this particular case may come down to the exchange of ammunition, but he found himself ambushed before. A memory came to him then, escorting a downed Alliance pilot back to his command post with a prisoner in tow. "What was that ginger bastard's name?" Maxell released a controlled exhale as he reassembled the carbine and tested the action. Satisfied with the fluidity of the tooling as the loading mechanism snapped into place, Maxell screwed the barrel back into place and peered down the sights. His nose curled in dissatisfaction, he unscrewed the barrel and produced a metal file from his cleaning kit. He drug the file between the sights lightly, resulting in a slow scraping sound as the old purplebelly corrected a slight burr on the metal. Looking back through and approving of the sights alignment, Maxell placed the gun and the barrel back into a gray hard case aside an extended long range barrel, a shorter range burst barrel, a multi-spectrum sniper scope, and a grenade launching attachment. Earth-That-Was artifacts aside, Graves liked to collect mods whether he needed them or not.

After closing the case, Maxell stowed it away in his mobile armory closet secured in the corner and kicked the bed into the wall on his way toward the door. Dusting the shoulder of a sleak black tactical jacket with a leather gloved hand, Maxell announced his departure. "I'm going to get breakfast." Graves's brow furrowed as he climbed the port ladder. "Wángbā dàn. Why did I mention that?"

Riggs

October 01, 2018, 07:58:41 PM #136 Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:06:55 PM by Riggs
Damien had slipped out of the party before it had ended with out a goodbye or a goodnight.  He knew full well the next day would be an early start and a good bit of rest would go along way. He was up and about the kitchen starting several food prep items and gathering the required elements for his planned brunch menu. Once he had a good portion of the groundwork set for his side dishes he set off for the garden to gather some fresh ingredients.

The Chef was there in the vegetable section of the horticultural deck clipping some Cilantro for one of his signature dishes, Pancetta and Cilantro Quiche, a mainstay for any brunch he planned. He watched Elena enter from across the garden as she strolled through the rose section. Damien quickly finished up and tucked the clippings into a small cheese cloth bag he carried.

He quietly moved around the outskirts of the garden observing Elena's every move. As he slowly drew near to her his thoughts drifted to another time and another place when things were much different, they were different....or were they. It had only been time and what is time but a measure in which events can be ordered from the past through the present into the future....yes the future.

Damien eased out from behind a rather tall bushy section of ruby red Hydrangeas, though they paled in comparison to the Captain's crimson garment. The Operative turned Chef made sure he caused enough rustling noise as he exited so as not to startle her. Even the deep red roses spread out behind her had to take a back seat to her loveliness he resolved. "But he who dares not grasp the thorn, Should never crave the rose."

"Good morning XO, what a pleasant surprise to see you. Ready for the big day ahead?" Damien delivered with a wide beaming smile. He was dressed in a black Morocco Chef's coat and matching pants all with a red trim highlighting the seems.

[At the Londinum Madrassa House Damien worked closely with the 'XO', as he would come to call Elena, much to her chagrin.]

' H o p e ... I s   N o t   A   C o u r s e   O f   A c t i o n ! '

Benjamin Street

October 03, 2018, 10:55:26 AM #137 Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:56:23 AM by Benjamin Street
Ben barely had time to start turning his head towards the door again after hearing Honors quick and quiet shoe-less footsteps before she burst onto the bridge. Apparently she hadn't been expecting anyone to be there because she pretty much screamed, causing Ben to jump and spin to look at her. Seeing who it was he raised his hands in a nonthreatening gesture. "Whoa there, easy. Just me." He said slightly confusedly.

She clamped a hand over her mouth and stared at him with wide eyes for a good few seconds. Long enough for him to take in her appearance. Bare feet, PJs, and a silky looking robe. He almost raised an eyebrow, but it was still very early. After another couple seconds Honor finally found her tongue.

Quote"I'm sorry.  I didn't see you," she explained quietly.  "It's just that...  I needed to...  See, I have this..."

"There are windows here," she said, as she looked down at the floor at her bare feet.

Ben smiled at her as she spoke, part encouragingly, part amused at her tongue-tiedness. She paused and then wrapped her arms across her chest.

Quote"I'm claustrophobic.  Stupid huh?"

"Ahh." He said, understanding. "Not stupid at all." He paused and looked around the bridge. "Our Allure is actually pretty roomy. I've flown ships where the bridge was less than a quarter this size." He stopped, realizing that mentioning an even smaller space might not help. "Sorry, anyways, feel free to come up here whenever you need to. The view is pretty great once we hit the black."

Elena

Behind her, plants rustled softly, drawing her attention from the flowers and turning her slowly, curiously. The cat in her arms blinked slowly as its cobalt gaze settled on the ship's 'Chef,' its tail coiling and waving in brief recognition. Or, perhaps it was just moving idly, it was always difficult to tell whether or not a cat remembered you. With a soft, mewling purr, the creature hopped down from the Captain's arms and moved slowly around Damien's feet before exiting the horticultural deck. It clearly had better things to do.

A soft smile played in the corners of Elena's red lips, one elegant hand lifting to gently slid over the perfectly maintained waves in her dark hair, making sure she was presentable although she knew she was. Something about being alone with this particular culinary genius always made her a little flustered.

She took in his crisp, professional attire with clear satisfaction, her attention flickering toward the cheesecloth bag in his hands before returning to his face, making its slow journey up his torso in the process. The Companion gazed up at him warmly through thick, dark lashes, the faintest pink blossoming across her ivory cheeks.

"Good morning XO, what a pleasant surprise to see you. Ready for the big day ahead?" he asked.

Elena couldn't help but laugh softly, the melodic noise coiling through the flowers as though the garden was attempting to contain it, not wanting to share it with the rest of the ship. The nickname reminded her of simpler times, times she had enjoyed most thoroughly. "Good morning, Mister Riggs," she greeted in response, her voice soft and lacking the crisp professionalism and mild detachment she'd used when speaking to the rest of the crew, although she did seem to falter over his honorific as though her lips wanted to call him something else, something more familiar.

"I am quite ready," she assured him, taking a step closer but pausing and keeping herself from taking any more. "But if I'm honest, I am a little nervous," she whispered, a twinkle in her eyes as she told him her secret. A manicured index finger rose to settle vertically over her lush lips, bright mischief in her eyes as she silently asked him to keep this new secret of hers between them. After all, a Captain shouldn't be nervous. Nerves were a luxury for the crew. She had to be steadfast, steady, a fixed point.

"How are you finding the ship?" she asked curiously, lowering her hand slowly and taking a deep breath.

Honor Saxton

Honor smiled both shyly and in embarrassment when the XO tried to reassure her.

"Whoa there, easy. Just me."

Yes.  Truly embarrassing.  She felt like a child.  Claustrophobia.  Stupid, stupid weakness.  And he smiled at her like a kid too.

"Ahh."  "Not stupid at all."

Her jaw dropped open and then she snapped it shut again.  Could he be for real?

"Our Allure is actually pretty roomy. I've flown ships where the bridge was less than a quarter this size."

That knowledge made a visible shiver run through her and she distracted herself from the thought by stepping closer and looking out the window.  As she did, she touched her fingertips to the glass (or whatever windows on a ship such as this were made of).

"Sorry, anyways, feel free to come up here whenever you need to. The view is pretty great once we hit the black."

She thought for a moment. 

"You've been long term on smaller ships?" she said with a small voice as her free hand floated up to rest on her throat.  "I have a feeling that I might be spending a fair amount of time up here.  I know my room is one of the larger, but I have woke up more than once feeling like the walls were closing in."

She took a moment to glance over at him.

"I haven't been sleeping well," she admitted quietly.  Then she realized that the admission might make her sound weak.  Her spine stiffened and she stood tall as she spoke quickly.  "It won't affect how I do my job though.  I kinda get in the zone while I work.  I have the highest ratings.  That's how I got here.  I am good at what I do."

She looked out the window and then back to him.

"Just wish it wasn't so gorram small so I can sleep," she said again.  Then she remembered he said he had served on smaller ships.  "Do you have any ideas on how I could go about that?  Some kind of trick that would calm me down a bit?"