There's no I in Iris

Started by Lomari, May 08, 2018, 08:27:01 PM

Scoro

As his wife entered, interrupting his business William pulled his suspenders back up over his shoulder.  While she tried to placate him with the success of the party, he was still furious at her intrusion and at Iris' response.

"I would be very happy to continue playing this evening, and to pass on my contact information to those interested in my services as a violinist.  I must remind you, Mr. Addington, that my services tonight fall strictly into the violinist category and NOT as a Companion. However, it would appear there has been a slight misunderstanding of that. I am unable to practice as a Companion for 5 years because of a brokered agreement between the lawyers of the Companion Guild and the lawyers of the Alliance officer who filed charges against me."

This was his wife's fault.  She had emboldened the shamed Companion to deny him.  She was lucky to be given this job, lucky he hired the wretch.  He would not be humiliated in his own home.  Then she continued.

"My connection to the guild is not in poor standing and my ability to recommend blacklisting can still turn an ear friendly to me. I should very much like this night to end as it began. You paid for my music, I will provide that and we will end our contract in one hours time and I will graciously take my leave. Any further attempts to broaden the scope of the original contract will, regrettably, force me to report to my contacts still in the Companion Guild that you cannot be trusted to comply with the rules of employ for Companions."

William smoothed his hair back as he tried to recompose and not lash out at the woman.  The mention of blacklisting a serious threat to his standing in the community and thus there was little recourse for him against her.  His wife however he would be having words with later.  Being a man of action he stormed by the two only stopping once, wrapping a tight grip around Joanna's arm and leaned in to whisper in her ear only the words were not whispered more an angry growl.

"I will deal with you later."  He then left the room, once breaching the door way he once again composed himself and smiled at some passing guests with a slight bow before once again entering the ballroom.  Joanna would be lucky if he didn't take the strap to her again.

Lomari

Mrs. Addington fell silent, listening to the Companion's speech and feeling the smallest of victories in her heart, although she knew it would be one she'd have to pay for later, and dearly. No one denied her husband anything, at least no one he thought was beneath him, Reuben denied him all the time. When all was said and done and the other woman had spoken her peace, she could see the silent rage brewing in her husband's eyes, although it was to her credit that she remained as composed as she was able. She knew he couldn't punish the Companion, not after the very real threat she'd held above him, but he could punish his wife.

"I will deal with you later."

Her body trembled in his grasp and all color slipped from her face at his growl, a lead stone dropping into her stomach while her heart beat desperately against her chest. However, being the dutiful wife that she was, Joanna nodded curtly in response and cast her gaze downward. Only when he was gone did she allow herself to breathe again, offering the musician and pained but gentle smile, "I am sorry," she apologized, once more clasping her hands in front of her own chest and wringing her hands together in an attempt to hide their shaking. "I hope this..." she didn't know what she hoped, her gaze averting once more. She wanted to hope this event hadn't soured the woman's disposition for the rest of the evening, but how could it not?
CHARACTERS
Charity ~ Melody ~ Tabitha

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot

Iris Reale

May 09, 2018, 10:01:45 AM #22 Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:27:24 AM by Iris Reale
"I am sorry."

It was an unnecessary apology, but one received with a warming of Iris' face. "You have nothing to apologize for, my dear. The apology is his to make, but I do realize there won't be one."

Iris reached out and squeezed Mrs. Addington's upper arm in encouragement with her free hand. "You know, that bold look is exceptionally beautiful on you. It suits you." The meekness had returned, and Iris felt a swell of relief that the man had walked from the room. There were so many things she wished she could do to the man for his presumption and for the threat she knew he'd follow through on with his wife. Were she backed by the Guild, she might very well have challenged the man to a fencing duel and chosen no one to stand for her.

"Come, lift that chin and remember that boldness. I believe you said there were guests requesting more music, hm?" Her time was not yet up and maybe, she could give the woman beside her something to remember her by. It might not ease the immediate distress, but perhaps a fond memory. Easing herself back into the hallway, she waited for Mrs. Addington to join her. "I think... a much lighter piece would brighten up the general mood."

Scoro

May 09, 2018, 10:12:57 AM #23 Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:17:25 AM by Scoro
As he returned to the floor the guests had all returned to dancing as the orchestra played.  Had they only known the insult he'd been subjected to they wouldn't be dancing, in fact they might have very well took up torches and pitchforks to burn the witch he clearly made a mistake in hiring.  Looking around he found one of his younger maids, barely eighteen and new to his staff.  He had frustrations and needed a release.  She would do and he knew she wouldn't be so defiant.

"You.  Come with me."  It wasn't just an order, he grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her into a room just off the ballroom.

"Mr. Addington sir.  What are you doing?  You're hurting me."  The woman struggled slightly but feared pulling loose from him.

"Silence."  He hissed as he shut the door behind him and tossed her against the desk before forcing himself against her, his hands gripping and pulling at her uniform.  She tried to resist but that only made him more aggressive.  He would not be denied again tonight.  Her struggles however persisted, he would need to reinforce his dominance and winding his hand up struck her with the back of his hand.

Lomari

Iris was absolutely correct, there was no way in any stretch of the imagination that her husband would apologize to either the Companion or his wife. It wasn't in him to feel empathy for others, his pride simply took up too much space. Still, the apologetic look on her face only grew when the other woman pointed it out. She felt ashamed that she'd been a part of this crude treatment of the other woman, even if it was only by association. Joanna flinched ever so slightly when the woman touched her, but her words eased her tension and brought color to her pale cheeks.

"You know, that bold look is exceptionally beautiful on you. It suits you."

Mrs. Addington smiled timidly in response, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly. The smile finally reached her eyes and they sparkled softly. She knew she'd have hell to pay later, but perhaps she could indulge herself just a little and find a way to enjoy the evening with Iris, even if it was just by letting herself get lost in the woman's heavenly music.

"I believe you said there were quests requesting more music, hm?"

"Oh, yes," she answered, joining the other woman in the hallway. As she did, another maid, one they'd had longer and who knew the temperament of her master, approached Joanna and the Companion. Not wanting to embarrass Mr. Addington by airing the current issue in front of the hired guest, she moved closer to her mistress to whisper, "Mr. Addington has disappeared with Sarah, the new girl..." Although, discretion wasn't this particular maid's strong suit and her whisper was loud enough for Iris to hear it quite easily. Joanna felt sick to her stomach, her chin turning so she could look upon the Companion, perhaps for inspiration or direction. Remember that boldness? she repeated to herself, clearly conflicted. With a hand over her stomach and a stern order to herself not to throw up, the lady of the house returned her attention to the maid, "Where?" she asked, and was answered by a finger pointed toward the door William had closed only moments ago. "I don't know what to do," Joanna told Iris honestly, her expression desperate. "I know it is not proper to ask this of you, but... I would like to try being bold..." she began, her shoulders nearly up around her ears, "Will you show me how?" she asked.
CHARACTERS

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot

Iris Reale

May 09, 2018, 10:41:56 AM #25 Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:49:34 AM by Iris Reale
The request drew a raised eyebrow from Iris, a brief break in her composure. It was an unusual request, especially from a woman born into power and married to it. Inclining her head forward, she thought briefly before dark brown eyes returned to the lady of the estate. "Give him fire and passion he cannot deny, or you will always be second to every woman who can turn his head. Only take it, demand it of him. He will be angry at first, but we as women can have lusts as fierce or even fiercer than our men."

A smile played across her lips. It was a bit like teaching a new Companion how incite a fire in a man. "Show him you are more than just a jewel on his arm. Tell him the music ignited the fire if it will help. He must believe it. Walk in there and demand she leave as you have need of your husband in ways only you should be enjoying. I think the challenge you present will catch his attention."

Noting the lack of music from the main hall, Iris had an idea and stepped forward and lifted her violin. Continuing forward, bow touched string beginning a sultry piece that began low and built on the idea of the fire and passion she had only just spoken of. Another of her favorite pieces. Silence began to descend on the hall as she stepped into the room as the violin began to sing with more intensity.
Iris watched Mrs. Addington to gauge her reaction to the ideas she was planting. Surely the woman had given herself over to passion once or twice in her life and could recall that fire. It wasn't difficult for Iris to recall that fire, but it was something she often relegated to the back of her mind as merely a tool of her trade.

Lomari

"Give him fire and passion he cannot deny, or you will always be second to every woman who can turn his head. Only take it, demand it of him."

Joanna looked at a loss for words, but she hung on every word the other woman spoke, almost leaning toward her to better hear them, to better grasp them. Demand something from her husband? Her heart seemed to pause in her chest as her eyes scanned the surroundings, seeing nothing. The risk was high, both for the maid he'd taken and for herself. But the Companion seemed confident and if anyone would be able to be so assured of this plan, it would be a woman of her standing and training. Mrs. Addington ran her teeth over her lower lip nervously, almost forgetting to breathe. She needed to save the maid from William's anger, and perhaps save herself as well. Her hand lifted to touch the gems around her neck, fingers trembling.

"Walk in there and demand she leave as you have need of your husband in ways only you should be enjoying."

Needs? Challenge? Had she ever been a challenge to her husband? Before she could ask anything more of their guest, Iris had left, the song she played wrapping around Joanna's meek heart and filling it with warmth and fire.

Turning away, Joanna urged her feet to move, to carry her toward the room her husband had vanished into. Her body obeyed and she found herself making her way toward the room, steps becoming quicker as she moved, her back straightening, brows furrowing. The music had a life of its own, the melody, the feeling, its spirit filling the ballroom and moving about like a fire too wild to contain. Fire, she thought to herself, repeating the word like a mantra. Pushing the door open, Joanna rushed into the room, head held high, blue eyes alight. The scene before her threatened to crumple her composure, but Iris' song emboldened her. Inhaling deeply and pausing only once, Mrs. Addington walked with deliberate steps to her husband and the maid, "Leave," she commanded, glancing only once at the poor girl. It was likely the first command Joanna had issued in years.

Bracing herself for his retaliation, she lifted her hand and slapped him across the face with the palm of her hand, her chest heaving against the front of her dress as she struggled to breathe. "I am your wife," she began sternly, lifting her chin again, "If there is a fire within you, I will not have you share it with any other woman. You are mine, as I am yours," she reminded him sharply, recalling her training as a youth. "I will share you no longer." Without giving him time to shout at her, she grabbed the lapels of his shirt, moved onto her tip toes, and pressed her lips against his. Had Joanna every been so forward? She hoped the maid had made it out of the room, leaving the older servant to get her to safety and tend to her nerves and the repairing of her uniform.
CHARACTERS

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot

Scoro

The muffled sounds of the violin starting up again surely would provide him enough time with the young woman without any notice.  At least Reale was good for something.  He didn't realize how little time he had however as the muffled violin became crisp as the door opened and his wife walked in, a look he hadn't seen before on her face.  For a moment he must have looked like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar.  She ordered the girl to leave to which she gladly did struggling out from under him and scurrying off.  He opened his mouth to begin scolding her but to his utter shock and surprise she slapped him across the face.  He was dumbfounded.

"I am your wife... If there is a fire within you, I will not have you share it with any other woman. You are mine, as I am yours...  I will share you no longer."

Her words, her tone who did she think she was talking to him like this.  Any other man may have sensed the pain and torment in her, the desire.  Even as she grabbed him and kissed him he could only see that she had been emboldened by the harlot he'd hired to do his bidding.  He gripped her biceps and pulled her off of him.  Spitting on the floor in disgust.

"How dare you?  You do not make demands of me.  You owe me everything.  This mansion, that dress.  Everything you have I provided and this is how you repay me?  You despicable bitch."  He wound up his hand to strike her with full force but something was different.  The music had stopped and he could hear gasps and whispers.  As her back was facing the door he noticed it had swung open and a crowd had amassed and had witnessed the events.  Reuben had tried his best to do crowd control but all eyes were on their host.  This was of course his wife's fault.

"You set me up whore.  I'll see to it you live your final days in rags."  He threatened as he walked out into the crowd.  He paused once to look them all over before storming off, his reputation fading with him.

Iris Reale

The nasty scene unfolding across the hall sent a silent ache through Iris. She had encouraged the woman to do this, but he was apparently resolute in maintaining his hold on the meek woman he'd grown accustomed to seeing in his wife. Watching as he stormed away, Iris wanted to go forward and apologize to Mrs. Addington for her reckless suggestion that might have cost the dear woman her standing. This wasn't at all how Iris had hoped it would turn out for the woman.

Whispers raced around the hall, amplified by the space. One or two faces turned her way, but she managed to feign shock and disbelief at the entire debacle. No one else seemed to want to move forward either, afraid of risking their standing. Her standing was not exactly an issue. The sound of heels on marble, the gait determined and hurried, echoed and created a path for her. Just as she reached the doorway, another form in a lavish dress approached as well. "Are you alright, Mrs. Addington?"

Lomari

Hurt, and yet not entirely surprised by her husband's reaction, Joanna held her breath, waiting for the eventual blow. The fire in William's eyes was not desire, or passion, it was rage, and it was a fire she'd grown accustomed to.

"You despicable bitch."

The first blow came in the form of words, his insults reaching their mark and she flinched in his grasp as though they'd been physical assaults. His hand raised and his wife closed her eyes, bracing for it. When it didn't come, Mrs. Addington opened her eyes hesitantly and looked up at her husband, suddenly realizing what was going on. Again he cursed her and she could do nothing but stand in silence when he'd stormed out. She would have stayed that way, hoping she'd turn to stone, hoping she could fade away from the staring eyes, had it not been for the two women heading in her direction.

"Are you alright, Mrs. Addington?"

"Oh, Joanna," the other woman crooned compassionately, her silver dress glimmering as she arrived at the woman's side along with Iris. Charity put both of her hands on the other woman's shoulders and tilted forward so she could look up at the woman's downturned face, her smile sympathetic and genuine, "William is a fool, he's always been a fool. Come stay with me for a while, we will wash away your sadness together," she offered, turning her head to look Iris over as well. Mrs. Addington nodded mutely as the other woman spoke, not ready yet to speak, not sure she had a voice to do so any more. "And I'd be absolutely delighted if you would accompany us as well," she invited, positively beaming. "I would be thrilled to hire you, but I'd also love to have you come as my guest," she clarified, her eyes alight with a knowing mischief, painted lips turning upward in a beautiful and adoring smile.

With Charity Vornbach attending to the women, their position was secured, was protected. No one would have gone against the woman's wishes.
CHARACTERS

NARRATION
Darling ~ Iscariot