Home :: Help :: Team :: Members :: Login :: Register

+ Finding Serenity  » The Ballad of the Black  » Gemini  » Gemini IC 
|- Patience has its Limits 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

collapse

* Quick Links

* Chat

Refresh History
  • Desertpuma: Unfortunately, real life has been pretty busy .. I'll try to get a post up on Ronin today
    July 29, 2017, 05:21:45 PM
  • Clare: Velocity doesn't expect to survive; that just happens
    July 28, 2017, 09:10:13 AM
  • Desertpuma: once the ship gets going, will she survive Ronin?
    July 22, 2017, 11:38:44 PM
  • Clare: And the madness begins. Will Ronin be able to survive Velocity?
    July 21, 2017, 10:09:03 AM
  • Scout: If I were to revive any of my old characters Pele would be the one, she was fun. But hell if  I know how I'd fill the time line gap.
    July 19, 2017, 08:42:17 PM
  • Scout: for example I remember Laurie and Velocity having a rivalry but not really the details of it or Laurie's relationship with any other crew members
    July 19, 2017, 08:40:54 PM
  • Scout: I have all my old character bios saved but I wish I also had pre-crash posts because my memory of them is so fuzzy
    July 19, 2017, 08:39:38 PM
  • Scout: History is good
    July 19, 2017, 08:38:55 PM
  • Clare: I'm a bad, bad girl
    July 19, 2017, 07:58:45 PM
  • Clare: Beth and Ian have history which is why I was thinking of dropping her in, given the situation between Ian and Abbey :D
    July 19, 2017, 07:58:39 PM
  • Scout: Plus confession: I'm scared of playing mechanics because I am very bad at both actual engineering and writing technobabble nonsense :D
    July 19, 2017, 03:58:00 PM
  • Scout: I guess Bri could be re-worked into a mechanic fairly easily, but I didn't get to play with her enough for her to come into her own so I don't really even remember where I was going with her at this point
    July 19, 2017, 03:57:20 PM
  • Scout: Mattie's just a gunhand
    July 19, 2017, 08:29:30 AM
  • Clare: I guess she could have retrained as a mechanic in the intervening years
    July 19, 2017, 07:35:13 AM
  • Clare: If the ship needed a geologist, throwing Beth into the mix could be amusing :D
    July 19, 2017, 07:32:38 AM
  • Velocity Grey-Lambert: Hopefully she won't drive everyone insane
    July 19, 2017, 07:31:58 AM
  • Desertpuma: also in need of a mechanic, another skill that is not Lin's strength but he can handle many basic repairs
    July 19, 2017, 12:53:37 AM
  • Desertpuma: In answer to your queries .. the only people on board Ronin that are posting are myself, Abbey and Ian. The ship is grounded and there was an intermittent message call sent out. Lin is a passable pilot but not much beyond the basics. So Velocity would be welcome
    July 19, 2017, 12:52:57 AM
  • Desertpuma: Good to see the site back up .. got an email notice of a couple of threads getting responses so I thought I would check in.
    July 19, 2017, 12:51:14 AM
  • Clare: Velocity has never forgiven the parrot, even though she can't normally remember it
    July 18, 2017, 07:49:47 PM

* Affiliated Sites

The Verse Online Crusader Citadel Dreaming
TNButton
The Yalanzen Chronicles

Find and vote for us at

Vote for us at
Top RP Sites

Find us on
RPG-D photo Abuttonresize_zps4c320df2.pngDistant Fantasies

Author Topic: Patience has its Limits  (Read 2984 times)

Description: Season 3: Episode 4, Part: 2
Re: Patience has its Limits
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 03:27:56 AM »
Whoever had made the bug had certainly knew what they were doing. It allowed just enough correctional control so that Brick could ensure they didn't crash, but kept his landing zone firmly locked in. That being said, it was a remarkably smooth landing. The ship thumped down onto its landing gear and the engines sighed as they powered down. Brick hit the intercom. "We're down, ready to start the system reboot on your word, sir."

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
This was not good, but it was at least the distraction he needed. Austin took a rifle from the ship's depository and took the high positioning the captain had asked for. He liked the opportunity. It was good scope to watch over and protect everybody.

He was left with questions though. The same questions everyone had. They were recently removed from a meeting with Erica's brother. Was this his doing?

Ashmore found himself a concealed position but with vantage. Enough to watch whoever greeted James. He'd aim his gun, when the time called for it.

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 07:51:46 AM »
James waited eyes on the cargo hold airlock for something to happen.  Nothing did. Bricks voice came over the community and James made a quick decision.  He pressed the buttons to open the airlock then gave the go ahead for brick to do the restart. He moved back into position eyes still on the airlock.

• Trainee
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 06:49:08 PM »
Izak crossed his arms and just stared at the airlock door. He wasn't in the breaking and entering business. He was just supposed to stand there until the door opened, but even then he wasn't exactly sure what to say.

The best he could come up with was "Sorry for the rough course adjustment, but its worth your time."  That is, if they stuck around.  Not everyone did  His entrance was a lot smoother than that, he was approached outside a bar after clocking a local dealer across the jaw.  He was asked if he wanted to make a difference in the Black and asked where to sign up.  It was that simple.  No secrecy and drops, just meet here, board this ship, and then do a couple jobs. 

And so he waited...and waited...and then the door finally opened.

He still hadn't figure out what to say yet...then he blurted out, "Uh, permission to come aboard Captain? I think your crew and I have much to discuss."

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:08:57 PM by Izak Archer »

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 03:53:43 AM »
James could not help but release a chuckle at the question.  He was stood front and centre feet shoulder width apart arms at his side as he looked at the guy at the air lock.  He might look relaxed but truth was he was anything but.

"Funny how that makes it sound like we have much choice in the matter now don' it.  Considering the effort and little choice you gave us in getting here.  You should know I don' take to kindly to my ship and my crew being hijacked and all." Stated James steadily.

Izak felt someone approach from behind and move passed him preceeding him into the cargo.  It was one of the senior players at the place.  A middle aged and rather attractive woman.  A companion of some sort they said not that she acted like it while she had been there.  Now however she looked very much the part.

"Come now, James, we had to allay as much suspicion from you as we could now didn't we." She commented breezily as she went to kiss him on the cheek.

James allowed the kiss as he stared dumbfound at the woman in front of him, a woman that Brin would have recognised all to well as well.

"Isabella?  What are . . . What about Bridgeway? . . . What the hell is going on here?"
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:59:19 AM by James Mackenzie »

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
Somewhere between the recognition and the casualness and... well the kiss. The kiss defused the situation for Austin who relinquished his intense gaze and the rifle.

"So just how often are we forcefully boarded by acquaintances," he muttered to himself.

So what was this now? Because it looked like another instance of not helping the kidnapped girls. Another roadblock or distraction. Austin waited to here the drift of things, but expected to soon be back his bunk, bouncing off the walls.

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 07:35:18 AM »
The moment Sabrina saw Isabelle, her nerves calmed exponentially and she'd half lowered her weapon... Until she'd gone into kiss James, and a little green monster flared up inside of her. Her teeth clenched tightly and her nostrils flared. She hadn't heard Asher's mutterings at first, but once she processed it, she seemed to come to her senses and realized how she was acting. She sighed heavily and turned to him with a soft scowl, that was by no means directed at him. These hormones were rutting killing her.

She shrugged softly and put her gun back in the holster on her thigh. She then crossed her arms over her chest and huffed through her nose, watching the scene below. "I'd like to ruddy know the answer to that myself."

• Trainee
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 06:52:14 PM »
Izak fiddled with his watch and sighed. It seemed as if Isabella new every captain that wound up at this spaceport one time or another, he thought. But that was her job, to know people. She had connections, and her connections had connections. Izak was pretty sure that was how the General got his hands on the chip to give the crew of the Gemini, but that was well above his position.

Izak flew missions, maintained ships, and served as an agent on some smaller worlds. He also negotiated contracts with the smugglers he knew for supplies form time to time. He was hoping that if the Gemini signed on that he would be granted a position on the crew. Although if what Isabella had told him abut the ship was true, unless she started talking, that would be unlikely.

"Uh ma'am," he said, "I think its time we read them in."  Every time he spoke you could tell he was core educated, pronouncing every syllable.

Izak could almost feel the patience running out of the situation. That and he could see the annoyance on the face of the woman standing behind the Captain.

He swore she looked familiar...did she work on Bridgeway at one point? He was bad with names but he could always pick faces out of a crowd...the Jaded Palace maybe? He once had a client that ordered twice monthly shipments of the wine from there.

He would figure it out later. The challenge was first being allowed to introduce himself...without getting shot of course.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 11:28:19 AM »
Sarah watched and listened, one eye peeking out from behind the foal enclosure, as events unfolded. She didn't have any particular feelings toward Isabelle but she took an instant dislike to Izak, if only because his was the closest accent to her ex-husband's that she had heard for a while and while he didn't look anything like the lackey that her ex had used to do his dirty work there was something about Isak that reminded her of him.

"It's not his fault," she told herself, meaning Izak but the feeling persisted. She sighed at her own intransigence.

A foal leaned over the railing and nuzzled at her, causing Sarah to lose her balance and fall, knocking over a container that made a noise on the steel deck. The foal shied back though fortunately it didn't start a stampede. Embarrassed by her clumsiness, realising that she had given herself away and not wanting anyone to investigate, she stood and looked sheepishly in James' direction, holding firmly on to the railing lest she repeat her mishap.

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 10:47:37 PM »
As soon as they got the go-ahead from James, Brick and Peter started the reboot. The constant background hum of electronics vanished, leaving the bridge eerily quiet. After a few moments systems started coming back online. However it would take several minutes before comms were back up, and another several minutes after that before they'd be capable of takeoff. Brick hadn't heard any gunshots yet though, which he took as a good sign.

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 05:39:51 AM »
Of course, Austin couldn't help himself. And the mishap wasn't very concealable even though Sarah had recovered. He activated the safety on the rifle, rested it on the boxes he had for cover and made his way around and down deck to meet Sarah.

You okay, seemed overplayed and maybe unwelcome. Austin tried to lighten the mood.

"So what have you got against the horses?" He approached a nearby foal to comfort it rather than Sarah. He stroked the back of it's head of the railing. "This one owe you money?"

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 09:16:36 AM »
Now knowing they weren't in immediate danger James signalled the reboot and the advised Peter and John to join them in the cargo hold.  Isabella and this Other guy had some explaining to do.  He heard the commotion by the foals and glanced over in time to see Sarah picking herself up.  He raised an eyebrow but did not move.  He still did not know what was going on and that made him uncomfortable and being uncomfortable made him overly  cautious still he signalled the okay to everyone.

He looked over at the pair that had just arrived one he knew one stranger, he folded his arms over his chest. 

"Okay I want answers and they better be pretty good ones.

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 10:30:47 AM »
Sabrina watched the scene unfold with a sort of heightened sense of alert and caution. She spared a nod and a glance at Ashmore as he checked on Sarah, then moved closer to James, standing next to him and slightly behind. Her hands were on her hips still in easy access of her shotgun. She didn't say much, just offering a little stoic moral support for James. She wanted answers to. Especially as she never thought she'd be seeing Isabella again and seeing her now put her on edge.

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »
Austin said: "So what have you got against the horses? This one owe you money?"

Sarah giggled at Austin's question. "Actually I said how handsome he looked and she objected," Sarah replied with a sheepish grin, knowing Austin had seen her mishap.

"It seems even young lady horses don't like being called handsome when they think they are beautiful," Sarah continued, her nervousness showing in the wobble in her voice and the fact that she was taking the topic further than it needed to go. "At least it was Austin that came over," she thought. James would have been okay but he was the Captain and that automatically made her feel nervous around him.

She turned her attention away from Austin and back to the foals, looking at them with a doctor's eye to try and ascertain if any of them were hurt. Cutting into James' profits she could live with; the thought that she might have even inadvertently and indirectly caused harm to one of the beautiful creatures was more than she could bear. They seemed okay to her but her speciality was a paediatrics, not veterinary and horses were harder for her to read than children.

Sarah heard James speaking and detected the tone in his voice but her focus was on the foals and a almost anything could have been happening between the Captain and the incomers and she wouldn't have noticed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:56:01 AM by Sarah Dalgleish »

• Trainee
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 08:07:25 PM »
Izak yawned.  Thumping crates, skittish horses, and a boss who was being a softie? "What an exciting start," he mumbled.  Seeing as how everyone else seemed to be relaxed, he might as well put his feet up. Looking around for something to sit on, he took a few steps away from the Gemini and dragged over a small crate. Swinging his shotgun over his shoulder, he sat down and pulled out the latest letter and started reading it again.

The pages she wrote never really substituted for actually talking with her. But he worked with what communication he could get. While some people said paper was going out of style, they'd certainly never seen how worn the pages were by the time he received his next letter.

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 06:27:19 PM »
Austin shared a smile with Sarah, then leaned his back against the railing and faced the meeting again.

His arms crossed as he waited for the newcomers to open up. The young man with the shotgun made him uncomfortable, with a lackadaisical move across the bay to a seat.

What was this roadblock?

• Trainee
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2016, 06:27:47 PM »
Izak could only skim the letter. They way he kept these things and kept rereading them, it surprising they hadn't all fallen apart. That and the situation he was in was quite the distraction. He was told bring your gear to the area, then wait and help get the plan in motion.

Of course things were so compartmentalized that he was told what was being set "in motion" to start with. But then again, with the type of organization he was a part of, if everyone knew everything, it could cause some problems. He learned that quickly by starting as a courier. Take Package A to Location X and exchange for Package B to bring to Location Y.

And all the while he made a tidy profit by shipping cargo on the same routes. He did have a reputation to maintain after all. That said though, making a trade deal was much easier than convincing an old friend to join a covert operation that they just got roped into.

Leaning back on the side of the ship, he put the letter back in his pocket. Sighing, he said "I could really use a drink."

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »
Izak said: "I could really use a drink."

Sarah looked at him and without thinking, said "Drinking alcohol is not good for you," in her little girl voice that was even less authoritative than her normally relatively high pitched voice. Usually, in her surgery or the infirmary, she could muster up something that sounded like she was in charge and knew what she was talking about but now she just sounded childish.

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2016, 11:22:45 PM »
Isabella filled them in something about tracking and being watched and wanting to make sure they weren't followed.  Given Peter's capabilities James wasn't quite sure whether to believe her but considering she had not let them down in the past decided to give her the benefit of doubt.  Though he and Peter were going to give the ship a thorough going over afterwards making sure any bugs were completely removed.  The tension eased some what as Isabella continued talking and James decided to move the conversation to the comfort of the upper floor after giving the all clear to those in the bridge. A few more people came onto the ship to take care of the foals and move them to their new location.