S1E0 - Preparations To Launch

Started by Desertpuma, June 19, 2018, 10:32:17 PM

Brenna Casey

August 01, 2018, 01:46:38 PM #100 Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:00:11 PM by Brenna Casey
Quote from: Riggs on July 30, 2018, 06:19:24 PM
"Excuse me Miss Casey and Miss Walker." He spoke loud enough for them to look his way.

Brenna had just been about to begin consoling Jesse when a familiar voice stopped them both outside the door. Looking back, she offered Allure's chef an apologetic smile as she and Jesse stayed put for the moment. From where they stood, they could hear everything being said inside the room, starting with the question about whether or not Jesse was contagious or not. That nearly broke through Brenna's resolve and the mask of doctor, her eyes flicking quickly to Jesse and then away as she had to suppress a smile at that question in particular. It was quickly followed by Dash's voice suggesting real alcohol which was apparently approved prior to the request by Elena. Mention of the party sent Jesse down the hall, after a nod of clear thanks, most likely in search of a way to calm her nerves.

Sighing, Brenna shook her head and then hesitantly looked back to Damien. Their history wasn't exactly an easy one. While there was certainly mutual respect and a sort of bond between them, they both still struggled with memories that the other brought up. "I think she'll be alright. Just... a form of panic attack. I'll keep an eye on her so no one else has to." She paused. The urge to say something to him about that chance meeting a few years back rose in her, as it usually did around him, but she kept it in check.  "It's... good to see you. You look well."

Idly, she almost hoped that he'd stopped them only to check on Jesse and with her gone that the uncomfortable moment could end. More for his sake than hers. Being a reminder of such dark memories pained her, despite knowing full well that he might not be standing aboard if they hadn't crossed paths. A brief flicker of that meeting played for her minds eye, but she didn't repress it. It had ended up leading her to Elena and eventually to the Allure.

Benjamin Street

August 02, 2018, 06:21:38 PM #101 Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:38:33 PM by Benjamin Street
Ben watched Elena's reaction, and was pleased at the mischief in her eyes. And ever so slightly worried about her smile. He wondered what her retaliation for this would be. He hoped nothing messy. Once or twice in his life he had been rewarded for a prank by receiving a pie tin full of protein paste directly to the face. Though a prank war could be fun, he thought, the corners of his grin twitching a little higher.

Elena replied to a few more questions and comments, and then told them all about the "Launch Party" as he thought of it. Alcohol was certainly a good catalyst for a crew to get to know each other, or to find out if they had any problems with each other. Either way, he was looking forward to the nights festivities.

Nearly as the words "You are dismissed" left Elena's mouth, Ben saw Jesse move with purpose towards the aft of the ship. He wondered if she was going to hide somewhere, or just making a B line for the lounge. Alcohol was also great for steadying nerves. He also noticed Karyn head back towards the bridge, which wouldn't do at all. There was a party to be had.

Ben stood up and stretched, his back popping a couple times. Elena requested that Dash stay behind a moment. Ben walked past him, pausing the give him a pat on the shoulder. "Good luck." He said, with an exaggerated wink, and headed for the door.

He would have stopped to talk to Brenna about Jesse, but she and Riggs looked to be having a conversation, and he didn't want to intrude. He gave them both a nod as he passed, briefly stuck his head into the bridge and saw Karyn sitting at the pilots station booting up a sim. Well, at least she was dedicated. He let her be, for now. If she didn't show up to the party soon he'd come get her and order her to the party if he had to.

He made his way aft and into the crew lounge to find Jesse had indeed gone straight to the alcohol. She still had the pair of shot glasses in her hands. He walked over to her.

"Hey there," He said, in his best attempt at a caring XO voice, "You alright? Seemed a bit shaken when Elena mentioned who our first passengers would be."

Jesse Walker

August 02, 2018, 07:00:34 PM #102 Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:09:43 PM by Axe
Jesse had started to feel a warm tingling sensation, her cheeks were red now, what her mother might call the glow.  Her genetics were never built to metabolize alcohol, but it certainly made her a ton of fun and a cheap date.

Quote"Hey there," He said, in his best attempt at a caring XO voice, "You alright? Seemed a bit shaken when Elena mentioned who our first passengers would be."

She looked up from the shot glass she was starting to refill and snorted as Ben checked on her. She appreciated his concern, his oh so kind swoon worth concern. Filling the second glass Jesse handed it to Ben,

"Am I okay." She took back the shot and breathed in quickly scrunching her face as it went down the back of her throat. It wasn't her most graceful moment but then again, when was she ever graceful.  She flipped the glass over and placed it on the table,

"I am not okay." She gave Ben her most charming smile, and shook her head, "You know, it's not fair, that you're that good looking. I mean really, and this might be the tequila talking but what God made you, and can I thank them? Or pray to them, thanking them? I'm sorry, I'm objectifying you and you're the XO but really it is, just unfair, because it makes me just want to tell you anything and everything. And really I am awful at secrets, and I'm probably not going to be here for long so I might as well anyway..."

She took a deep breath and looked at him carefully, perhaps enjoying the view or perhaps deciding whether or not she trusted him. It was hard to tell when alcohol was involved.  Jesse pursed her lips and nodded her head, she waved at the tequila,

"Drink up and come with me." Jesse turned on a somewhat wobbly heel and made her way to the med bay behind her, swiping the bottle of tequila with her, she'd need courage for what came next.

Jesse and Ben exit to: Allure Aside S1E0: Blame the Tequila

Riggs

Damien could honestly say he wasn't stopping them to check on Miss Walker, but he offered his concern nonetheless as the young lady left them alone to speak.

"It's... good to see you. You look well."

Damien wanted to reach out and give her a great big hug, but he knew others were watching and it might give the wrong impression. Perhaps only a handful of people knew Damien owed his life to the Doctor, her quick thinking in a bloody medic tent so many years ago saved his leg and his life. He understood this face to face meeting stirred those old memories, the war had left so many wounded though there were no true outward signs to show it. He fought off those dark recollections that tried to enter his head and just focused on the here and now and Brenna.

"And you look marvelous if I might say." Beyond that Damien wasn't quite sure where to steer the conversation. He motioned toward the exiting Jesse..."So I see you have your first patient, she's in good hands." He offered with a beaming smile. "Oh I have something for you!" The reason he stopped her had almost slipped his mind and the great excuse to help break the ice. He pulled the letter from his back pocket. "I have this letter for you, not sure who it is from....seems it's been passed around hoping it would finally catch up with you." He handed the wrinkled envelope to her.

' H o p e ... I s   N o t   A   C o u r s e   O f   A c t i o n ! '

Desertpuma

In the kitchen, Mr. Underwood had worked quickly. With no one in his way, he proceeded through the examination of the appliances and their contents rather quickly. To his satisfaction, most things were well taken care of prior to his arrival and he had very little change that need to be effected. Pulling out his notebook with the ordering screen, he quickly made the notes needed to have some things replaced or repaired.

6 Tumblers
6 Wine Goblet
12 Champagne Flutes
12 Brandy/Cognac Sniffers
6 forks, silver
6 knives, silver
Oven needs to be repaired
Kitchen cleaning supplies lacking

The message was sent with a copy forwarded to the Captain so she was aware. If there were extras, then they could afford to break a few as was wont to happen in the Black. He preferred his life planetside and his job paid him very well without being shot at or endangered.

Stowing the notebook, he extracted some gloves from the case and put them on. With the application of some cleaner, he set about shining the silverware. It would occupy his time for the next few hours. As soon as it was finished, he exited The Allure to return tomorrow and handle the replacement flatware and glassware which would be delivered.

Brenna Casey

There was that look in his eyes, one Brenna knew fairly well. He'd have hugged her if there weren't too many eyes watching. It was the smile though, that put her more at ease with seeing him. "Still the gentleman with his charm, I see." she mused as her own smile crept up across her features, a twinkle sparking to life in her eyes. She'd always imagined that if someone could choose their family, she'd have long ago claimed him as a big brother. As he spoke of, and showed her, his reason for stopping her in the hall, her smile faltered a little and brow furrowed.  A square, plain white envelope. He held it out to her and as the entire Verse and all her thoughts faded away, she took it.

"Thank you..." was all she could murmur at first. The telltale feel of what was inside created a massive shift in her posture and expression. Tension and all outward expression of her previous concerns relaxed away as she took a moment to simply feel the envelope in her hand and let her eyes close. A tiny bit of peace tucked away and couriered to her as an unspoken message. While there was no need to open the envelope to know what it was, there was the question of 'where'. And so, delicate fingers popped open the flap held only by a simple gold circular sticker.

Pale blue eyes lifted as she gave him a smile he'd probably never seen on her face before. Whether he knew what it was or not, she didn't know. So far as she was aware, only Jesse knew what the paper crane tucked inside the envelope meant. There was no need for an actual letter, no need for explanation or names. The crane was enough. Someone else was going home and one more piece was put back in place. Peeking inside, she noted the colors and then closed the envelope again, before motioning towards the galley. "Shall we go toast to our friends success? One drink with an old friend at least?" She leaned towards him a bit. "Just one, though. I've got a patient to keep an eye on, after all."

Dash Winters

Quote"Good luck."

Dash was left wondering why it was he needed luck. Was this a bad word he was about to share with Elena? He started to question what he'd done wrong. That was a long list, depending on different sensibilities. He made an attempt to head off his most likely mistake and moved closer to the actual captain.

"So was that a Dash-should-not-be-talking moment? I didn't mean to rain on your speech or anything." Dash liked to talk but this ship seemed a little more proper than he was suited too. "It was a great speech. Some great words in there" There was a pause. "Esteemed. That was a good word."

Maxell Graves

Maxell nodded deeply toward Elena, his face softening just enough to appear more than a mite pleased with himself when asked to stay with her after dismissal. That expression soured as she requested Dash's prolonged audience as well. The shadow drawn around his scowl darkened with Dash's every step as he approached the Captain. A bit too familiar, in Max's opinion, for an unranked subordinate to so brazenly invade their commanding officer's personal space. In the end, he merely ground his teeth and grunted. "Every moment," the retired purplebelly growled internally as he left the matter in Elena's capable hands, "is a 'Dash-shouldn't-be-talking' moment."
The bugle sounds - the charge begins, But on this battlefield no one wins
The smell of acrid smoke and horse's breath, As I plunge on into certain death

Iron Maiden, "The Trooper"

Elena

Elena watched the others filter out of the conference room, her fingertips splayed out atop the surface of the table, shoulders relaxing ever so slightly. She was glad they all seemed to be getting along, it boded well for the future of their ship. Blue gaze flickered back in Dash's direction and she raised her eyebrows at his expression. The poor thing. She'd done this to him.

First, she addressed Maxell, "Mister Graves," she began in a soft voice, moving to settle a hand on his upper arm. Her smile was warm and gentle, her expression full of camaraderie and respect. For all his gruff nature, Maxell was a learned man of brilliant intelligence and a deep appreciation for culture and history. Elena loved that about him. "Would you mind keeping an eye on...'the sweaty one' for me?" she asked softly, tilting her head al little in question. "Out of concern, of course," she added, just in case anyone else was listening to her. She wanted it to seem as though she meant out of concern for her health, but had no doubt that Max would know exactly what she meant.

"So was that a Dash-should-not-be-talking moment? I didn't mean to rain on your speech or anything. It was a great speech. Some great words in there. Esteemed. That was a good word." Dash apologized and praised at the same time.

The Captain grinned slowly and shook her head, turning to look in his direction. "No, nothing so serious as that, Mister Winters. I find I enjoy your way of speaking," she told him honestly. He rambled, and people who rambled tended to have a hard time lying with any sort of proficiency. Elena could appreciate that. Accidental honesty was still honesty in her book. And if she demanded honesty from her crew, she had to lead by example. But still, how to bring it up tactfully.

"I asked you to stay behind to apologize to you," she finally told him, her tone somber but the light in her eyes full of humor. "I fear I may have assisted in the forming of a... misunderstanding," she added, dancing around the fact that it was 100% her fault that this had happened. "Mister Street is the ship's XO, you see, and quite a magnificent pilot," she corrected, although she was curious to see who he'd think was the captain if she didn't outright say it was her...

Jesse Walker

August 06, 2018, 07:12:39 PM #109 Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:24:06 PM by Jesse Walker
Ben and Jesse enter from Allure Aside S1E0: Blame the Tequila

Quote"Hey, nothing wrong with dancing on tables every once in a while. I've done it a time or two myself." He half turned and offered her his arm. "Shall we return to the "party"? Maybe some of the rest of the crew have made it to the lounge by now."

Jesse rose a brow trying to imagine Ben dancing on a table, a favorable sight indeed. At least in her mind it was, "I'd pay to see that show." She grinned and took the XO's arm,

"Dreamboat and a gentleman, what more could a girl wish for." She followed his lead as they walked out of the med bay. Not much changed thought it felt like they had been there for a century. It was probably only a few minutes.  Tequila certainly did change the way one viewed time.

Jesse plopped down on a near by couch and gestured to the table, "How about that dance then." She playfully winked at him , clearly kidding, but all the same, who wouldn't love to watch that. The impending conversation with Elena made her nervous, but she trusted Benji's instincts, Brenna vouched for her as well. Perhaps the captain wasn't as bad as Jesse thought.  Though revealing her secret to someone else wasn't her initial plan, and her stomach turned at the idea. But perhaps that was the tequila too. Always blame the tequila.

Maxell Graves

August 06, 2018, 09:01:30 PM #110 Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:17:35 PM by Maxell Graves
Quote from: Elena on August 06, 2018, 01:40:11 PM
First, she addressed Maxell, "Mister Graves," she began in a soft voice, moving to settle a hand on his upper arm. Her smile was warm and gentle, her expression full of camaraderie and respect. For all his gruff nature, Maxell was a learned man of brilliant intelligence and a deep appreciation for culture and history. Elena loved that about him. "Would you mind keeping an eye on...'the sweaty one' for me?" she asked softly, tilting her head al little in question. "Out of concern, of course," she added, just in case anyone else was listening to her. She wanted it to seem as though she meant out of concern for her health, but had no doubt that Max would know exactly what she meant.

Maxell beamed as he rose, delighted to receive his first assignment. Perhaps Elena's show of confidence in Maxell's abilities helped cloud over the fact that Maxell knew himself to be obscenely ineffective as an agent of espionage, because he clearly forgot to mention this shortcoming as he bowed respectfully. "Of course, Captain." The look in Elena's eyes spoke of an underlying question surrounding Sweaty Jesse Walker, and not one of her well-being. "I'll see to it immediately, Madam." Maxell offered another curt nod, his eyes sliding to burn holes through Dash as he made to exit. "If you don't need any assistance with this one, that is." With an easy gesture Elena let Maxell know his presence was no longer needed, and he made to follow his quarry.

Maxell exits to S1E0 Alluring Aside - Blame the Tequila, and re-enters shortly after Jesse and Ben.

Quote from: Jesse Walker on August 06, 2018, 07:12:39 PM
"Dreamboat and a gentleman, what more could a girl wish for."

Crouching around the corner from the med bay's door, Maxell answered Jesse's flirtatious inquiry for himself. "How about some integrity and self-respect?" The pair made their way down the corridor, and Maxell leaned into the wall behind him. Straightening his spine with a fair amount of discomfort, Maxell finally breathed a heavy sigh of relief as he felt the disc slip back into its proper place. Breathing heavily, he forced a more casual march as he attempted not to draw attention from the hacker and the XO. Once back in the lounge, Maxell's eyes drew on the pair disdainfully and cast an eye of disapproval upon the good doctor. "Clearly a co-conspirator in what may be the early stages of a mutiny. Best to recommend her for dismissal as well."

Quote from: Jesse Walker on August 06, 2018, 07:12:39 PM
"How about that dance then."

Maxell's eyes rolled with a snort. Perhaps the drunk had a point after all. "It might be best for Elena to see just what kind of man she'd hired for Street's position." The old purplebelly reconsidered as he looked over the XO's features, with his square jaw, soft eyes, and undisciplined stubble. "Maybe not." He continued past the group, nodding to Elena casually. He took a position near the lounge's bar, assuming the Captain would approach him when she was ready to hear his report.

Dash Winters

Dash's head tilted like a confused dog. Why was she apologising to him? He listened with a furrowed brow as she went on to offer him a revelation.

"He's not..." Dash pondered. "So, the captain is like a silent owner, not on board..." He didn't have it yet. "And Ben's like an interim captain." He was far from it in fact. "That's why he doesn't like doing the speeches. Or the attention! I get it!" The weird reaction he had received for his toast made far more sense now.

"Because he doesn't want praise for being the captain when that isn't really his role, he just wants to get on with the job in hand and be on the same level as the-it's you isn't it, you're the captain." It clicked.

Dash turned to the side and scratched his head, as he rearranged the puzzle pieces to get the actual picture of things. He opened his mouth to speak a few times, but held off on each occasion, realising he should probably get in front of his understanding before he commented again.

Eventually he turned back, and smiled with warm sincerity. "It was nice of you to give me a job." Being the intruding chancer that he was, she had all right to turn him away. "I won't let you down."

"Also, I'm might keep calling Benjamin, 'the captain,' see how long it takes him to break." Dash chuckled to himself. He saw the humour in the situation, and could be glad to still have a hold of a job. There was little to complain about.

Elena

"Of course, Captain. I'll see to it immediately, Madam. If you don't need any assistance with this one, that is," Max asked.

Elena smiled softly and shook her head, lifting her hand just a bit to dismiss the offer as well as to inform him that he was free to go. Her gaze followed him a bit until she couldn't see him past the doorway and the Captain turned her attention back toward Dash, that same hand moving to settle languidly upon her hip.

At first, she was a little worried that he was still not fully understanding the situation and she couldn't help but feel all the more guilty about bamboozling someone as genuine as he seemed to be. But, his final "-it's you isn't it, you're the captain," eased her worries and let her know that he'd finally figured it out. She had to do everything in her power not to laugh. He was a sweet man, carried his heart on his sleeve, spoke honestly and didn't bother hiding who he was as a person. Or so he seemed. It was refreshing.

"It was nice of you to give me a job. I won't let you down," Dash told her.

Elena moved around from her side of the table to very gently hook her arm around one of his elbows, ultimately turning them both toward the doorway. "No, I don't imagine that you will," she agreed, offering him a welcoming smile and a conspiratorial wink. She figured it was fairly obvious that if he did somehow let her down, Maxell would be right there to administer the proper punishment. But still, the Companion didn't see that happening. She had faith in her crew, even the new members, that they would ultimately do the right thing.

"Also, I'm might keep calling Benjamin, 'the captain,' see how long it takes him to break," he added.

Finally, the Captain had to allow herself a small, melodic laugh. This crew was interesting, at least. And most of them she knew to be just as skilled in their professions as they were at being mischievous. "I'll allow it," she informed him, walking with him out of the conference room and pulling him along gently by the arm, drawing him into her wake. She walked them back down through the aft storage, passing Damien and Brenna on the way and offering them both a nod of greeting and a prolonged glance in their cook's direction. They moved down the hall by the crew quarters, and finally into the lounge. She did glance at some of the crew's doors on the way down, wondering how the crew was getting along in settling in with their things. She'd find out later, she was sure. For now, it was bonding time.

Once she'd entered the crew lounge with Dash, she released his arm and set him free to enjoy the launch party. "I think you've earned a drink," she told him with another friendly smile and a gentle 'shoo shoo' motion with her hand. Her gaze moved around the room, taking in the state of her crew and finding herself mostly satisfied. Jesse looked a little wobbly, but that seemed normal for her. She caught Max's nod and returned one of her own, a brow raised in question. Had he already found something? She'd deal with that later, in a less public setting. Elena stepped out of the way of the door to let anyone come in after her, if they chose to, before she moved to turn on her heel and begin heading back the way she'd come. The Launch Party was for her crew, after all. She had Captainy things to do in the meantime.

Karyn Wychovski

QuotebBen poked his head into the bridge and saw Karyn sitting at the pilots station booting up a sim. Well, at least she was dedicated. He let her be, for now. If she didn't show up to the party soon he'd come get her and order her to the party if he had to.

Karyn was briefly aware of Ben's presence as she set the current sim into motion. It would run for an extended period of time, and she could check results later. As she turned, he had slipped back out, heading to the lounge, she estimated. She sat for a time, thinking over the captains announcement of alliance coming on board. She would have to keep a very low profile.

She hoisted herself up off the chair, and headed for the exit. Taking a moment to stop and breath before continuing down the corridor to the lounge, her thoughts ran rapidly from the recent gathering, the one woman who seemed even more distressed by the fact troops would be their first customers, to that dark hole in her past where it was once a pleasure to be in the company of fellow officers. A shiver ran down her spine at the memory; and then she buried it deep again.

She reached the lounge shortly after Elena had arrived, and saw the captain turn away and retreat. She hesitated and then with a shrug, turned in to the lounge and those gathered there.

Drinks were being pour3d, and she picked up a highball glass and sipped.

Benjamin Street

August 08, 2018, 06:37:06 PM #114 Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:37:40 PM by Benjamin Street
Quote"I'd pay to see that show."

Ben chuckled. "Oh I'm sure you would. Might not be the best thing for a first time XO to do though... or maybe it would, I don't know." He laughed again as they walked back into the lounge and over to one the couch, where upon Jesse released his arm and flopped down.

Quote"How about that dance then." She playfully winked at him , clearly kidding, but...

He laughed again. "Hey, let me down a few drinks and we'll see." He said with a grin, also clearly kidding... maybe. It depended entirely on how the night went.

Ben looked around as some of the other crew started filtering in. Max seemed to be breathing harder than usual when he entered, and he seemed... upset? Disdainful? Disapproving? Ben honestly wasn't sure, he'd only known the Mr Graves for... what, an hour? Maybe two? And from what he'd seem of the man so far he seemed to be in a near perpetual state of upset. He gave the man friendly nod.

Ben flopped gracefully down on the couch next to Jesse, and turned sideways, resting his arm on the back of the couch. He now had a view of most of the lounge. The next prospective party goers were Elena and Dash. He tried to catch Elena's eye, but couldn't quite manage it. She stayed near the door however.

A minute later Karyn entered entered as well, making a B line for the alcohol. He gave her a nod as well. After another minute or two Elena turned and headed back up the hallway. Ben frowned. "Well that wont do at all..." He said to himself, and then at a normal conversational tone to Jesse, "It appears our wonderful Captain isn't going to join us for the party. I may have to go drag her back in here.... by which I mean politely request her presence." The last part he said with a cheeky grin.

Jesse Walker

Quote"Hey, let me down a few drinks and we'll see."

Jesse grinned her nose scrunching up into her face, her eyes drifting to the bottle, missing the taste of tequila on her tongue.  She sighed, disappointed trying to stay 'responsible.' After all she had downed about a quarter of a bottle of tequila.  Others had filtered in to the room,  Max and Elena caught her eye.

Max was particularly grumpy looking,

She looked at him, using her arm and hand to prop her head up on the side of the couch, she stared at the former alliance officer, "Maxy poo, yoo hooo." She waved at him with a smile, "Come socialize won't you?" Her smile widened to a grin, the redness in her cheeks  rising to the top of her face as she smiled at him. Her call was interrupted by Ben however,

Quote"It appears our wonderful Captain isn't going to join us for the party. I may have to go drag her back in here.... by which I mean politely request her presence."

Jesse looked back at him, that cheeky grin. Her nose scrunched up again at his smile, it was just so fun to look at it. Looking back Elena walking away, for some reason Ben's comment translated into, call her over, so Jesse did.

"Captain." She began in a normal tone of voice. Not sure if she heard her Jesse tried again, this time, more familiar. "Elena," Her voice becoming progressively louder, "ELENNNAAAAAAA.....ELENA." She was practically hanging over the couch a this point trying to grab the Captain's attention, looking back at Ben,

"Do you think she heard me?"

Riggs

"Shall we go toast to our friends success? One drink with an old friend at least?" She leaned towards him a bit. "Just one, though. I've got a patient to keep an eye on, after all."

Damien smiled...."I'm sure I have time for one drink." With that he held out his arm for Brenna to lock onto as he escorted her to the crew lounge. Upon arrival they found the crew party in full swing. "Looks like everyone is a few drinks ahead of us." Damien motioned toward the bar. "Shall we then?"

' H o p e ... I s   N o t   A   C o u r s e   O f   A c t i o n ! '

Brenna Casey

Brenna couldn't help but feel just a little bit flattered, having expected just to walk side by side with Damien to the party. Before they entered the lounge, she gave his arm a gentle squeeze in place of the hug she'd often wanted to give him. Once they entered the lounge, however, she glanced around more to check on Jesse after the episode in the conference room. The rosy glow on the woman's cheeks told her she was more than a drink or two ahead of everyone else. If her usual behavior was any indication, Jesse was probably going to be just as loud as ever. The thought made her smile as Damien motioned towards the bar.

Quietly, she ordered her drink as she released his arm with one last soft squeeze. Once they both had their drinks, she turned slightly so she was facing him and lifted the small tumbler of whiskey. "To our dear friend and her continued success and old friends and the ties that bind." It was subtle, but the toast was an oblique message that his presence on board was not unwelcome. One day, she'd tell him, but a crowded room certainly wasn't the place to tell him that he'd managed to save her as much as she'd managed to save him. The envelope in her hand was, for now, forgotten.

Maxell Graves

August 10, 2018, 07:58:17 PM #118 Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:31:41 PM by Maxell Graves
As Max took his place at the bar, the lounge's nondescript mixologist inquired as to the nature of his poison. "Eeehhhhh... Old Earth Style. Straight." In truth, Maxell despised the smell of the stuff. In his youth on Beaumonde, the patriarch of the Graves clan came home daily reeking of the stuff. A teetotaler whose straight-laced, no excuses manner of living made Maxell seem like the original heavy metal rebel by comparison, Papa Graves worked twelve to sixteen hour shifts five or six times per week and often carried the smell of the distillery with him. Still, the stuff was cheap and as he heard Jesse Walker calling across the bar -

Quote from: Jesse Walker on August 08, 2018, 07:15:07 PM
"Maxy poo, yoo hooo." "Come socialize won't you?"

- the retired Major reasoned if he were going to soften his brain enough not to start tossing unwanted guests from the airlock, he'd err on the side of financial conservation by saving the Londinium Gold for matters more disruptive than sweaty, diseased stowaways. Glaring over his shoulder for just a moment, Maxell caught Elena's eye as she passed.

Quote from: Elena on August 07, 2018, 10:18:40 AM
She caught Max's nod and returned one of her own, a brow raised in question. Had he already found something? She'd deal with that later, in a less public setting.

Maxell understood the look Elena offered him in reply. Discretion was held in the upmost importance in the lady's station in life, and it seemed she wished to maintain such in her role as Captain. Maxell considered the choice most wise, and as a flush rose around his neck he recalled that wisdom beyond her age being the chief trait - learned refinement and practiced movements aside - that Maxell admired most. The aging purplebelly knocked the poured shot back, motioning to the bartender to prepare another as the burn crawled down his throat. After pouring the bartender made to return the bottle to its place on one of the lower shelves before Maxell stilled his hand. "Leave it."

"ELENNNAAAAAAA.....ELENA."

Maxell tasted the grit of his chipped enamel as his teeth ground and the muscles tensed in his neck and shoulders. Rising from the bar with bottle in hand, Maxell stomped with a dire purpose toward the table Jesse had invited him to join and likely already forgot. Not necessarily trying to slam the bottle on the polished table top but not exactly restraining himself, he broke into the conversation as the bottle made an audible *THUNK*. Maxell pulled a chair out, addressing the table en mass. "I assure you, The Captain is far too concerned with more pertinent affairs to socialize."

"Do you think she heard me?"

"Every corpse in Serenity Valley heard you!" Maxell grumbled, leveling a look toward Benjamin before casting a glare at Jesse. "I would suggest showing a bit of restraint with that tequila. As I understand, most stowaways compose themselves with a bit more... Subtlety."

If looks could kill, Jesse Walker's name would forever be remembered as The Allure's first casualty.

Elena

Elena got a few steps back into the corridor before she heard her name shouted in one long, grating, keen. "ELENNNAAAAAAA.....ELENA." The Captain halted and took a couple of moments to stare forward at nothing, finding herself a little startled and baffled by this particular situation. Never in her life had she had someone shout at her like that, not as a Companion, at least. She hadn't been Captain very long, so she wasn't sure if this was something she should get used to?

With a deep breath to steady herself, the woman turned and walked back enough to bring the party goers back into view. Frigid cobalt gaze settled slowly on the inebriated Jesse, looking her over, gaze firm and assessing. She'd give the woman a pass. She was clearly drunk. So, the Companion looked first at Maxell then Ben, considering her options. Max might have thrown her out the airlock or into the sun, and while she was sure that might have been warranted, she thought it was likely too early to sentence any of her crew to 'Death by Maxell'.

A sigh lifted and lowered her chest before she settled on eyeing Ben with a raised brow and a hand gesturing in Jesse's direction. She was his responsibility today, it seemed. Still, she gave Max one more significant look and a lowering of her chin. She wanted him to keep his eye on Jesse even now. Drunk people were often loose lipped. Elena glided forward, her skirts rustling softly around her legs and her steps near silent. When she'd approached Ben, Jesse, and Max's table, the woman set her fingertips upon its surface, staring down at Jesse and raising her brows, waiting to see why she was called in here so loudly, a polite, but chilly smile pulling at her painted lips. 

She was aware of Damien and Brenna moving near the bar and drinking together and she was very happy they'd been able to find one another and that they seemed to be bonding once more. She'd also seen Karyn come in and hoped their copilot would be able to mingle and get to know the crew outside of the safety of flight simulations. And she hoped, in the back of her mind, that Dash was somehow not getting into trouble.