PT2: Persephone: Eavesdown Docks

Started by Rolemancer, May 10, 2018, 05:27:52 PM

Ophelia

"Mmm. Henri, and Jane? Nice names. Beautiful animals," Kas remarked curtly.

Ophelia nodded slowly and crossed her arms over her chest, watching him with a confused pout. With one arm still crossed over her chest she reached up to wrap a finger through one of her perfect ringlets before tucking it back over her ear into the safety of her pink lacy bonnet. "Thanks," she murmured, brows knit in concentration. She couldn't get a firm read on this man. He was more like the dogs than the other two women, but maybe that was just what he wanted people to think. She'd been so focused on staring at Kas that Katrina had been able to slip away unnoticed as intended.

"And how do Henri and Jane handle travel on a ship? Or have they even been up before?" Silje asked.

The girl's face turned very slowly toward Silje, although her gaze took much longer to tear away from Kas and settle on the woman's face. Again, her brows furrowed as her brain worked to repeat what the woman had said to her. Travel...ship... dogs? Oh! Ophelia's shoulders lowered a bit and she took a deep breath to relax a bit, "They handle ships just fine," she informed the woman, eyeing her a little suspiciously. That was when she noticed that Katrina was gone, and the yank on her wrist by the dogs trying to follow Kas informed her that he was gone too.

Turning a bit, Ophelia stared in the direction Kas and Katrina had gone before offering Silje a suspicious frown. A breath slipped past her lips and she released the leashes, letting both brutes hurry after the man. "Shall I stay here?" she asked the other woman, raising a brow skeptically. The Dogs followed behind Kas with barely a few inches between them, amber eyes flickering between the man and the group they were approaching. When Kas seemed to slip into attack mode, so did Henri and Jane, both Rottweilers bristling almost immediately, rumbling growls settling deep in their throats, strings of hungry drool dripping from exposed teeth. They didn't attack just yet, apparently taking cues from Kas' behavior.

Silje Falk

Quote from: Ophelia on July 11, 2018, 11:04:21 AM
"Shall I stay here?"

"Probably the best idea. They'll be back." Silje's face relaxed a little further, her smile now barely lifting her lips. While Kat approached Tara and the small group, and Kas followed, she stayed put. There were probably things Kat wanted to give Tara a heads up on and they weren't going back into the bar, so she found no reason to go anywhere just yet. Her weight shifted slightly upon seeing the reaction Kas gave one of the men with Tara, but there was no move in the groups direction. Silje knew full well that Kas could handle himself.

Katrina Markov

Quote"I take it that Lucky isn't with you." She added rather somberly. Tara then noticed as the others followed the Doctor that there was a girl with two large dogs....Tara motioned with her head in Ophelia direction. "Find some new friends did we?"
A small smile passed Katrina's lips, "Perhaps that's something we should discuss privately, away from our new friends." She intended to keep Ophelia at a distance if possible, Lucky's whereabouts wasn't something she wanted the young mobster to hear. Especially with her connections.

Quote"Name's Monte, ladies. Glad to meet you. Sorry if I can't be more informative at this moment, but you don't know who might be watching."
Her eyes slowly drifted to Monte, she pursed her lips unsure of the man, Tara must trust him well enough, but she didn't know him, and she didn't need to in this moment. "I don't remember speaking to you." Her stare was cold, Katrina didn't have time in this moment to be friendly, they needed to find Lucky.  She turned back to Tara, intending to take her aside, however Kas seemed to follow, leaving Silje, with their 'friend.' 

Quote"Don't know you." He said, his voice flat with hostility. "Or you."
She lightly put a hand on Kas, "Down boy." A small joke between them, enough to hopefully signify now was not the time for violence.  She looked back at Tara with a hopefully smile, "Perhaps...we can go some place less, chaotic? To discuss our...problem."

Andes Maley

Andes scratched his back with this right hand as the new comers approached, it seemed like Tara knew them so no harm. Until what looked like the muscle decided to skip the small talk and get to the point.

Quote"Don't know you." He said, his voice flat with hostility. "Or you." He pointed at Andes, but Kas's unblinking eyes never left Monte's.

"That's quite the coincidence, cause I don't know you." He responded with his trademark smile to the burly man. He let his arms hang to the sides with the palms facing the new comer showing that he didn't want trouble. Andes had no intention of starting anything but was interested in how Tara would deal with her attack dog of its leash.

Quote"I don't remember speaking to you." "Down boy."

It seemed Tara wasn't the only shot caller around here but this new princess seemed to lack the social graces of the captain. This was going to be difficult.

Mattie Rooney

July 12, 2018, 10:55:59 AM #44 Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:09:43 AM by Mattie Rooney
As Kasimir and Katrina approached them, Mattie greeted them with a nod and a small wave of her hand. Her expression softened at the sight of the familiar faces, then hardened again as her gaze drifted behind them and she spotted the girl with the two dogs talking to Silje. She didn't mind the dogs, dogs were just shiny by her; it was their owner she wasn't happy to see. Mattie didn't like kids, she wasn't any good with them, except maybe with her younger siblings- no, that was a lie, Mattie was no good with them either. She didn't know what to do with herself around children. Back home, there had been this constant unspoken expectation that it was something she would have to learn eventually. Thankfully, the topic rarely came up in her current line of work.

Out of the corner of her eye, she caught the mini-stand-off between Kas and Maley, and couldn't help but let out a small amused snort. She rather liked Kas's no-bulltzao gao approach to things. She turned to Katrina.

"With all due respect, Doc, ain't this mission hard enough without havin' to babysit some core brat?" she kept her voice low, but even to a person out of earshot it would be obvious what she was talking about, based on the not-at-all-subtle way she gestured at the girl. "Where'd she come from, anyway?"
Dialogue color: darkkhaki

Monte Furlong

Monte stood by, letting Tara and Mattie run interference with the other group. It seemed the easiest way to deal. Keeping his thoughts to himself, and not saying anything about Lucky or the Mission. He didn't know how much these others were involved, and right now, it seemed like too many cooks were brewing dinner.

He glanced off to one opposite side, away from the others gathering. Shadows moved across the concourse. The hairs on the back of his neck tickled. His hand drifted closer to his right hip.

"Seems pretty out in the open here. Can we..."

Tara Marx

July 16, 2018, 05:08:04 PM #46 Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:56:21 PM by Tara Marx
Monte jumped the gun a bit by speaking up before Tara could give him a proper introduction. She knew her crew would be walking a knife's edge by now with Lucky's probable abduction, they'd trust no one. Tara was a bit on edge herself but still had to fight to stifle a smile at Kat and Kaz's reception of Maley and Mister Furlong. "Easy Kaz.... they're okay." Tara glanced down at the dogs and then to Silje still a distance off with a girl before continuing. "Andes Maley here is Security from Mischief, the ship I hired that seemed to change their mind on honoring our Charter, but he has agreed to help us in our search for Lucky." Tara watched out of the corner of her eye Silje and the girl that was with her Pilot.

Tara turned and pointed in their direction and spoke to Katrina. "We'll get to her and them...." Pointing to the canines..." in a minute, just wait." Turning to Monte she went on..."And this here is Monte Furlong, the contact Lucky was supposed to meet. Not quite sure his involvement but I believe he can help and most importantly he has the information we need....but that can wait" Tara turned on her heels kicking up a bit of dust. "Mattie see to it everyone is a 'Good Boy', I need to speak with Doctor Markov in private for a minute."

"Seems pretty out in the open here. Can we..."

She ignored Monte's remark as Gryphon's captain motioned for the Doctor to follow as she lead her across the street and under a storefront roof to catch some shade, she offered a wave to Silje as she caught her eye crossing the roadway. Tara gave one more good look up and down the thoroughfare before turning to the Doc.

"So Kat, what have you got for me, I'm seeing two wolves and a Goldilockes?!"

Silje Falk

July 16, 2018, 05:36:03 PM #47 Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:19:13 AM by Silje Falk
Silje stayed put, but lifted her chin to Mattie in faint acknowledgment of her former crewmate and friend and returned to wave to Tara. It was good to see another familiar face beside Tara. What struck her as more than amusing was the absolute lack of reaction from the man Kas was staring down. The other had at least taken note. It took a monumental effort not to laugh as two dogs and a man she knew to be a killer were all but ignored. "Oh, that's not gonna go over to well with him." There was no hiding the sheer amusement in her words or her face.

Staying put, she glanced back to Ophelia and sighed. Her hounds seemed to be picking up on Kas' instincts and were far more aggressive with this new face than they'd been with herself, Kat or Kas. With not much else to do until Kat gave her the 'all clear', Silje let her body sway and shifted her weight from foot to foot in a slow, steady movement. It never hurt to do a little warm up, even if it was the bare minimum. As she did so, her lips pursed and she started to whistle an old tune taught to her by one of her uncles. He'd told her it was a song from Earth-that-Was and had been the song used for some entertainment program that predated modern vids by ages. Something called Andy Griffith if she recalled his tale correctly. Not that it mattered really. It was a bit of a catchy tune and simple.

Andes Maley

Andes watched as all the others were doing their things. He had always been a dog person but these two didnt seem quite friendly enough to scratch behind the ears. "Well, no point in standing out here in the sun." He noted to no one in particular and retreated to the covered porch of the bar they had just come from. He made as if he were just standing there but he was watching. He still wasnt sure what he had gotten into but he be damned if he was caught off guard.

Kasimir Stern

July 17, 2018, 02:16:23 PM #49 Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:32:16 PM by Kasimir Stern
Kas noticed, with some amusement, how Ophelia's dogs followed him and also started growling at the man whose face was less than twelve inches form his own. The taller and more muscular of the two unknowns spoke up with a somewhat witty retort, and said through his body language that he wasn't here to pick a fight. That was fine. Kas wasn't trying to pick a fight either, not really. The two of them were with Tara and Mattie, and both seemed at least mostly comfortable with the two men. But it was important to gauge the measure of someone new.

Katrina put a hand on Kas's arm and gave him a "Down boy". To which he responded by giving one of his sharp nasal intakes of breath, shifting his head forward to give the possible impression he was sniffing the man in front of him, and then straightening back up. Again, he wasn't really trying to pick a fight, but so far the man hadn't really reacted to Kas at all. Which was odd. He wondered briefly if it was due to fear, nerves of steel, or if the man just really wasn't that smart or experienced with the world.

Mattie gave a snort of amusement at the apparent stand off. Kas had always felt that she seemed to approve of his... directness.

Quote"Easy Kaz.... they're okay."

Tara then introduced the two men.

Quote"Andes Maley here is Security from Mischief, the ship I hired that seemed to change their mind on honoring our Charter, but he has agreed to help us in our search for Lucky."

Kas's eyes flicked to the big man, mentally adjusting his assessment of the man to a more favorable level.

Quote"And this here is Monte Furlong, the contact Lucky was supposed to meet. Not quite sure his involvement but I believe he can help and most importantly he has the information we need....but that can wait"

Kas's eyes returned to Monte, and he gave another hmm/growl. But he did step back 3 feet to a somewhat more comfortable distance from the man. Monte was looking around, very obviously watching their surroundings, and the mans hand drifted closer to his hip and the pistol Kas figured was concealed there under the jacket. The motion caused the adrenaline levels in Kas's system to rise, and his eyes widened slightly, but no other outward change.

Quote"Seems pretty out in the open here. Can we..."

Monte was speaking to Tara, who ignored him and went across the street with Katrina. Andes moved back under the shade of the bar door. Then Kas heard a whistling from the direction of Silje and his head snapped around, a further flood of adrenaline coursing into his blood in anticipation of a fight. He realized a half second later that it wasn't the right whistle, and that she was just whistling to pass the time. His lips twitched, not in a smile, but in a gesture that held a similar meaning for him.

He turned back to Monte and jutted his chin towards the man in a motion of indication, and spoke to him, his cadence slow and even. His voice was still flat, as usual, but there was less hostility in it. "You look nervous. Calm yourself. Anyone what has eyes can tell you don't want to be in the open. Sticks in their minds. Makes them look closer."

Ophelia

July 17, 2018, 02:30:00 PM #50 Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:20:46 PM by Ophelia
Once Kas has taken a step back from the oblivious man, the two massive beasts took direction from his movements, their dripping maws snapping shut, although their amber gazes never quite left Monte's face, their body language indicating that they were ready to rip any of them to shreds should their Mistress (or Kas, apparently) wish it. The female on his left sat back on its haunches, ears pricked as it looked slowly between Andes and Monte, the look in its eyes clearly conveying an intelligence as it likely worked through which was the greater potential threat. The male continued to growl low in its throat, all of its attention leveled upon the man in front of them.

Both dogs paused what they were doing as a whistle reached their ears and they looked back toward where Silje's stood at almost the same time Kas did, all three of them looking in the woman's direction with the same rush of adrenaline. Their eyes first moved to Ophelia, who they thought might've whistled, although soon after they realized Silje was making the noise and stared at her with the slightest tilting of their heads. The female growled in confusion, one ear pricked to listen to the melody. The male, figuring out that the sound wasn't for them, turned its attention back toward Monte.

Ophelia crossed her arms over her chest and stared in Mattie's direction, watching the woman gesturing toward her while she said whatever useless nonsense the girl was sure was spewing out of her mouth. Perfect golden brows furrowed and she moved to stand next to Silje, staring in the group's direction. "Who are they?" she asked, pointing toward Tara, figuring she was someone relevant if the less than socially graceful Katrina was pulling her aside. "Do you think they're talking about me?" she asked, although the answer was clear. Mattie wasn't very discrete with her body language. Despite being irrationally annoyed that her dogs were following someone else, she didn't call them back, completely alright with them threatening the strange man. She held the data pad against her chest and sighed slowly, blue eyes looking up at Silje in mild impatience. She wanted to get going on finding this Lucky so she could help rescue him and he could allow him onto his ship...

Katrina Markov

July 17, 2018, 03:15:41 PM #51 Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:19:34 PM by Katrina Markov
Quote"With all due respect, Doc, ain't this mission hard enough without havin' to babysit some core brat? Where'd she come from, anyway?"

Kat smirked at Mattie, a smile snicker almost popped out, she had missed that girl, "Oh it's, a very long story, unfortunately she does have some valuable information...Trust me, I'd get rid of her if I could, I didn't go to medical school to become a pediatrician." She responded quietly.

Quote"Andes Maley here is Security from Mischief, the ship I hired that seemed to change their mind on honoring our Charter, but he has agreed to help us in our search for Lucky....And this here is Monte Furlong, the contact Lucky was supposed to meet. Not quite sure his involvement but I believe he can help and most importantly he has the information we need....but that can wait"

Nodding politely at the two men she initially snubbed,Katrina offered both a small smile, if Tara trusted them, so could she. For now anyway, "Apologies for the abrupt introduction earlier gentlemen, it's been a trying day.  My name is Katrina Markov, ship's doctor...It's a pleasure to meet both of you." She nodded again at them, and turned to follow Tara,

Quote"So Kat, what have you got for me, I'm seeing two wolves and a Goldilockes?!"

Kat sighed nodding, "Yes, well...Lucky is missing.  And our small friend over that unfortunately is the daughter...of Henri Baptist." She let the name sink in momentarily, "Her father as you know is...connected, therefore so is she.
Anyhow...She was able to determine from her uncle that Big Al has taken Lucky under his care....in return for the information she unfortunately would like passage on our ship. However. I leave that up to you. If it were me, I'd leave the brat and take the dogs...Kas seems to like them well enough, a pet or two might be good for him."
A hint of mischief could be seen in her eyes, "So, shall we retrieve our man?"

Monte Furlong

QuoteHe turned back to Monte and jutted his chin towards the man in a motion of indication, and spoke to him, his cadence slow and even. His voice was still flat, as usual, but there was less hostility in it. "You look nervous. Calm yourself. Anyone what has eyes can tell you don't want to be in the open. Sticks in their minds. Makes them look closer."

Monte turned to the man speaking, admired the girth of the brute, and saw the apparent link between him and the large canines behind him. Tara and the doc had traipsed across the street, and huddled in private conversation. Monte's ears began to burn a bit, and he forced a smile to respond to his inquisitor.

"Just a bit nervous with all the sudden arrival of what might be considered a mob... all seem to be clustered around the same venture." Monte's eyes darted back to the two women a distance away. "You know the captain?"

Silje Falk

Quote from: Ophelia on July 17, 2018, 02:30:00 PM
"Who are they? Do you think they're talking about me?"

Silje noted Kas' quirked lip at her whistling and nodded in his direction faintly before she stopped the song and looked to Ophelia. "Old friends a couple of them. And they might be, but they might also be talking about the man with the twitchy trigger finger as well." What was being discussed was probably more pertinent than the simple explanation she'd given, but not being directly privy to the conversation there was no real way to know. With Kat and Tara now removed from the group, Silje felt there was no need to be removed from the group. One hand motioned for Ophelia to join her.

Ambling over she gave a quick whistle, more as a warning to Kas, though he'd probably hear her approach and not need it. Habit was difficult to break and it was always better to give friendlies a heads up so they weren't surprised. As she approached the group, she gave Mattie a hugely lopsided grin and moved around the men and dogs to give the woman a hug around the neck from the side. "Been a while, Mattie. Looking well, you are," she greeted her former crewmate, voice lilting a little more with the pleasure of seeing another friendly face. Her eyes were not on Mattie for long before they shifted to look at the men she didn't know. First, the one with the itchy finger then the other who'd moved into the shade, all with her grin still in place. Releasing Mattie's neck she looked to Kas. "Venn Kas, I must say, you do have a way of... making friends."

Giving the man Kas was facing a good once over, she lifted her chin in a manner of greeting. "Silje... and you are?"

Mattie Rooney

Mattie responded to Silje's half-hug by giving her an awkward pat on the back. She wasn't big into physical displays of affection (as if there were any displays of affection she was into). Silje was one of the few people in the verse who wasn't going to get punched for trying to give Mattie a hug, but that didn't mean she had to like it.

"Been a while, Mattie. Looking well, you are."

"Well, considerin' the circumstances..." she mumbled, not unfriendly but slightly flustered, though she did her best to keep her composure. She disengaged as soon as possible, conscious of the three men standing next to them, Maley in particular. She'd known Kas long enough to not have to worry about first impressions anymore, and Monte was frankly coming across kind of wimpy himself, but she didn't want the mercenary getting the idea that she was soft or something.
Dialogue color: darkkhaki

Ophelia

Ophelia reluctantly followed after Silje, not to big a fan of being told what to do, even if it was with gestures alone. Upon reaching the group, her hands clasped behind her back and she looked up at the 'strangers', although really everyone here was a stranger to her. Shaking her head a little, the girl moved some of her perfect golden ringlets away from her face, the coils bouncing against her shoulders with the movement.

First, she looked Mattie over, the woman who'd been clearly talking about her earlier with less than pleased gestures in her direction. A brow rose and she seemed just as unimpressed with the woman as she'd been with the blonde. Ophelia turned away dismissively so she could eye Monte curiously. Her dogs didn't seem to like him, although generally they didn't like anyone, so that wasn't doing much to sway her opinion of him. Which, honestly, was already low. Not just for him, but for most people she met. Next, Andes gathered her attention and her gaze lingered upon him longer than it had the others. He was pretty...

She didn't introduce herself and didn't bother saying anything to them, instead choosing to stand near where her dogs were huddled happily (or with some kind of happy aggressiveness) around Kas' legs.

Kasimir Stern

Monte eyed Kas a little, and then spoke.

Quote"Just a bit nervous with all the sudden arrival of what might be considered a mob... all seem to be clustered around the same venture." "You know the captain?"

Monte's eyes flicked back to Tara and Kat. Kas gave an affirmative grunt. "Worked with her before, yes." Tara thought the man worth trusting, or at least thought him useful enough to keep around, but Kas was not one to trust people easily.

Just then Silje gave a little whistle to announce her approach and walked over to the group, followed by Ophelia. Kas glanced down and her dogs, who were crowded around his legs, and the corners of his mouth twitched in amusement. He crouched down and began petting them again.

Silje went over and greeted Mattie, which made the woman uncomfortable, but she still awkwardly patted Silje on the back. Mattie was really not the hugging type, but if Silje was going to hug you, you let her. After she let go, Silje spoke first to Kas, and then introduced herself to Monte.

Quote"Venn Kas, I must say, you do have a way of... making friends."

Kas gave a little noise of agreement. "Always make an impression, don't I." He said evenly, scratching both dogs behind the ears.

Tara Marx

July 21, 2018, 04:21:13 PM #57 Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:29:43 PM by Tara Marx
[Across The Street]

QuoteKat sighed nodding, "Yes, well...Lucky is missing.  And our small friend over that unfortunately is the daughter...of Henri Baptist." She let the name sink in momentarily, "Her father as you know is...connected, therefore so is she.

Anyhow...She was able to determine from her uncle that Big Al has taken Lucky under his care....in return for the information she unfortunately would like passage on our ship. However. I leave that up to you. If it were me, I'd leave the brat and take the dogs...Kas seems to like them well enough, a pet or two might be good for him."
A hint of mischief could be seen in her eyes, "So, shall we retrieve our man?"

Tara listened as she eyed her crew across the main drag of town. The information Katrina shared was a bit of good news for a change. Tara was confident she could deal with Alberich, it was obvious he was after the same objective....maybe they could could to some sort of agreement. Henri Baptist was a name she didn't expect the Doctor to drop.

"Well if she can get us to Lucky and Big Al I guess she's got herself a ride....Baptist you say? Interesting she's out here all alone but I guess that's a worry for another day." Gryphon's captain watched as Silje and the young lady joined the others. "Well let's go gather the troops and find a secure location to talk." As the two of them started over Tara added..."On the subject of 'Tycoon' trouble makers, have you seen or heard from Drogo at all ....seems he's evaporated into thin air."

Katrina Markov

Quote"Well if she can get us to Lucky and Big Al I guess she's got herself a ride....Baptist you say? Interesting she's out here all alone but I guess that's a worry for another day." Gryphon's captain watched as Silje and the young lady joined the others. "Well let's go gather the troops and find a secure location to talk." As the two of them started over Tara added..."On the subject of 'Tycoon' trouble makers, have you seen or heard from Drogo at all ....seems he's evaporated into thin air."

Katrina nodded, agreeing that they would deal with the Baptist on another day. The girl was too necessary for now...unfortunately, and they needed to get moving. They were off schedule, and it was starting to cause her some anxiety. As for Drogo...well that was also a bit of bad news. "Drogo.... has been arrested." She didn't stall or mince her words, and it meant they were going to be running out of money quickly, if he wasn't rescued as well. "I was going to tell you...but I though Lucky's situation was...bad enough." She gave Tara sympathetic smile and continued to walk with her back to the group.

Cyril Leland Wade

CURRENTLY
Somewhere on Eavesdown Docks

"This isn't working," came a voice from the shadows.

Lucky agreed. He would have liked to voice the fact that he agree, but his jaw was swollen and there was so much blood in his mouth talking was too much effort. He had just enough strength to spit that blood onto the floor and nod his head.

"Maybe we got the wrong guy," Baddie no. 2 suggested.

Lucky felt very pleased with himself that his acting skills were paying off.

"No, that's him," Baddie no. 1 insisted.

"Well then," the voice from the shadows slithered. "Maybe we need to turn up the heat..."