Movement is life, and it's time to get moving

Started by Benjamin Street, June 14, 2018, 05:14:20 PM

Benjamin Street

Sihnon

Benji stared out of the window of the taxi, watching the beauty of the Sihnon skyline slide by. It was his first time on the planet, and he was enjoying it. There were two women seated across from him in the taxi. Sofia Salvatore was a tall, beautiful woman with long lustrous black hair, a slim but fit build, and always seemed to be slightly amused about something. Erin Flynn was no less fetching, though she stood a full 5 inches shorter than her sister-in-law Sofia. Erin wore her auburn hair in a similar long style, and her form was no less fit, but where Sofia radiated amusement, Erin radiated a effortless "Do Not Mess With Me" vibe to those that didn't know her. Sofia was the sister of Benjis best friend, Tony Salvatore, and Erin was Tony's wife.

Benji had met them, as well as the rest of the Salvatores and Flynns, in his first month of high-school. They'd all been as close as family ever since.

Ben sighed and looked over at the pair. "You realize I'm an adult, right? For nearly 20 years now? You didn't need to fly all the way to Sihnon with me and drive me to my appointment. I am perfectly capable of going to a job interview on my own." Sofia chuckled. "Think of us as moral support." Erin said, and stuck her tongue out at him. Sofias expression turned serious. "We're here because we're worried about you. Tony especially." Benji waved a hand dismissively. "I'm fine."

"You're not, though." Erin said, her expression turning serious as well. "Or at least you weren't. You stayed with us for 3 months Ben. You haven't spent that much time dirt-side since before the war. We know how hard that must have been."

Sofia nodded. "We know how bad the dreams were getting... Tony doesn't sleep much these days and he'd hear you thrashing around in your sleep. Hell, you woke me up a couple times from two rooms away with your gasps when you woke up."

Benjis face fell, and his eyes dropped to the floor. "I'm sorry... I didn't...-" "Don't apologize, there's no need." Erin said, and reached out and took Benjis hand. "We're here because we love you, and we really want you to get this job. Because it would be good for you, really good Ben. Job like this could be the last job you'd need. Good pay, and always on the move. Plus a ship that size will have at least one other pilot, so if you're ever on Persephone or nearby you could always take a few days off and come see us." Sofia reached out and took Bens other hand.

"Not to mention stable, and all legal and above board. That's why Tony pulled strings to get you an interview. No more working odd jobs. No more worrying if that shady captain is hauling a stash of something. You can just relax and enjoy the flying. And the people... not to mention the women." The last part she said with an impish smile and another squeeze of his hand.

Benji didn't say anything. Just nodded, and squeeze their hands. His look conveyed the love and thankfulness he felt for them, as well as the sadness he felt deep down that he could never stay in one place.

After a few minutes the taxi pulled up near the Companion House he'd been instructed to go to. The three of them got out of the cab, and Ben wrapped both them up in a big hug. He cleared his throat and rubbed at the lingering dampness in his eyes. "Right, well. Wish me luck." They both smiled. "Pshh, you don't need luck. You're the best damn pilot in the whole Verse." "Knock em dead. Let us know when you're finished." Benji nodded. "I will. Is breá liom an dá chuid go mór leat.*" And with that he headed off towards the entry way.

He was dressed in a nicer version of his usual attire. Freshly cleaned and polished work boots, the nicest pair of dark jeans he owned, a black dress shirt, and a nice leather jacket.

He entered the building and walked up to the reception desk. "Buon giorno, I'm Benjamin Street. I'm here to see Miss Marseille?"

*I love both of you very much.

Elena

After a decent number of years on Londinium, Elena was more than happy to return home. There was something about Sihnon that couldn't quite be described and could never be replicated. She loved her House off world but this was and always would be her Home. After accepting the job as Captain of The Allure, Elena Marseille had gone home a few days before she'd really needed to. She wanted some time to settle in and enjoy the feeling of being somewhere so familiar and comfortable. She'd assisted in some of the trainee's classes, walked the grounds often, and gone over the new crew she'd be working with, both those already hired and the potentials.

She had an appointment made to meet with a Benjamin Street in a few minutes so she took that time to go over everything the Guild had dug up for her. Elena walked purposefully down a corridor, a data pad held softly between perfectly manicured hands. She'd already looked over his records, and had found it rather interesting that he'd come so highly recommended despite his very obvious connection to a not so legally inclined family. Still, if her contact was recommending him despite his past, he had to be good and Elena valued skill and one's spirit over what others might deep as improper. So, she was set on finding out herself what type of man this Mr. Street was.

"I'm here to see Miss Marseille?" requested a male's voice from around the corner. The woman at reception looked up and smiled winningly at the man, her blonde curls done up in an intricate braided bun. Her pink lips parted to inform him that she'd be on her way shortly when her words were cut short by Elena's conveniently timed arrival. "Oh! Miss Marseille, Benjamin Street here to see you," she announced, standing to gesture at the man with an open palm.

Elena offered Benjamin a warm smile, her crystalline gaze glimmering as her lips turned upward. "Mr. Street," she greeted, gliding toward him and extending an elegant hand in his direction. The skirts of her crimson dress rustled around her legs, its bodice hugging her torso tightly and the sleeves draped off her shoulders before reconnecting at her wrists, leaving most of her arms exposed. A light breeze from outside ruffled her dark tresses, although it didn't dare disturb her meticulously crafted waves. She held the data pad in her free hand, its screen pressed softly against her chest. "A pleasure to meet you," she added welcomingly.

Benjamin Street

June 14, 2018, 08:03:48 PM #2 Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:06:25 PM by Benjamin Street
"Ah, piacere di conoscerti. The pleasure is mine Miss Marseille." He said, returning her smile. He took her offered hand and somewhat awkwardly bowed a little at the waist like he'd seen upper class people do in vids. It was probably clear that Benji did not spend much time mingling in high society.

He'd been expecting beautiful, the description usually went hand in hand with Companion, and Elena Marseille did not disappoint. She was gorgeous, had an amazing figure, immaculate hair, and Benji imagined her clothes probably cost as much as a small ship. The way she seemed to glide more than walk also impressed him greatly. She was shorter than he had expected, by nearly a foot if he had to guess.

He released her hand after what he hoped was the correct amount of time, and immediately worried that he should have kissed her fingers, or some other societal ritual he wasn't aware of. He thought he did a good job hiding it from his expression though.

"I hope I'm the type of pilot you're looking for." He said earnestly.

Elena

"I hope I'm the type of pilot you're looking for." He said earnestly.

Elena watched him bow and a small grin tugged at one corner of her lips, her eyes bright with mirth. It was strangely endearing the way he seemed to fumble with not entirely knowing the proper social customs but trying all the same. When her hand was returned to her, she lifted it to join the other in holding her data pad.

"I hope so too," she told him just as honestly, her head tilting to the side as she looked him over. Elena didn't bother to hide her assessment of him, nor did she try to conceal the apparent approval in her gaze. He was handsome, yes, but that didn't necessarily mean he was automatically a good fit for this position.

Taking a step back, she held her hand out a bit toward the corridor she'd come from, "Shall we?" she asked, offering him another warm smile before she turned on her heel and headed back down the way, likely heading to one of the rooms she's had prepared for this particular interview.

The woman at the counter smiled at him and sat back down, although she didn't look away until she was sure he wouldn't be needing her assistance with anything else.

Benjamin Street

Benji took note of Elena giving him a once over with her eyes. He appreciated that she seemed unconcerned with hiding it, and he was fairly sure she liked what she saw.

"Shall we?" She asked with another warm smile, indicated the direction they were going. "Of course, lead on." He replied. Elena turned and started off down the corridor.

Ben thanked the receptionist, and walked quickly for a few moments to catch up with Elena.

Elena

The Companion led Benji through the halls but not too deep into the House, he was still a stranger after all. Turning, she entered a cozy meditation room that had been set up for today's interview. The room was decorated with red silks and tapestries lining the walls, an ornate crimson couch on one side of the room accompanied by a dark mahogany coffee table.

On the other side of the room was a pile of large square pillows meant to be lounged upon, all overlooking an altar. Incense burned at the feet of the statue, its smoke coiling upward and fading away, filling the room with a calming aroma. Atop the coffee table was a bronze tea set, the tea inside the pot hot and ready for them.

Elena moved to the couch and sat, running her hand over her rear to smooth out the fabric of her skirt before she sat in order to prevent wrinkles. With an inviting smile, the woman gestures to the open space beside her before she leaned forward and set her data pad on the table, its screen off. The Companion set to pouring them both a cup of tea, her movements slow and deliberate.

"I have to admit, Mr. Street, I was quite surprised when I received the wave containing your recommendation," she told him honestly, pausing what she was doing to make eye contact with the man. The jewelry around her wrists jingled together softly with every movement her hands made and a purposefully stray tendril of hair slid forward to coil artfully against the right side of her face.

Benjamin Street

As they entered what Ben assumed to be the interview room he let out a low whistle of appreciation. Everything in the room spoke of elegance and money, from the red tapestries on the walls to the beautiful mahogany coffee table. He almost felt like the receptionist had forgotten to charge him an entry fee.

He followed Elena to the couch and carefully took the offered seat next to her. Awkwardness was not a usual feeling for him, and he wondered if he looked as awkward as he felt. Then his inner monologue chided him. Clearly they would have run a background check on him before even considering him as a potential hire, and the very fact that he was now sitting here on this ludicrously expensive couch was a pretty great indication that at the very least he was qualified for the position and should Relax. You're the best damn pilot in the whole Verse! He smiled as Sofias words rang in his head, and a large amount of the tension in his shoulders vanished.

Elena had been pouring tea, but paused and looked him in the eyes as she spoke. "I have to admit, Mr. Street, I was quite surprised when I received the wave containing your recommendation,"

His head tilted ever so slightly to the side as he considered his reply. "So was I, to be perfectly honest. A very good friend of mine put my name forward, or so I'm told. The first I heard of it was when I was contacted about this interview." Which was true. Tony had been the one who had floated Benjis name as a candidate to Elenas contact, and hadn't told Ben about it until shortly before the guild sent a wave about coming to Sihnon for an interview.

Elena

June 15, 2018, 06:52:23 PM #7 Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:57:52 PM by Elena
"So was I, to be perfectly honest. A very good friend of mine put my name forward, or so I'm told. The first I heard of it was when I was contacted about this interview," Benjamin confessed.

Elena looked him over for a moment after he'd finished speaking and another smile played across her lips. She appreciated that he was honest. Her crystal gaze returned to the teacups and she finished pouring each of them their portions. Placing the pot back down onto its tray, the companion leaned closer to him just long enough to set his cup on the table in front of him. Along with the tea, Elena gently pushed forward a bronze container of perfectly shaped sugar cubes and another little jug of what was likely cream. She didn't know exactly how he preferred his tea but she liked to be prepared.

A deep breath lifted and lowered her shoulders as she leaned back, hands once more folded demurely on her lap. "I want to assure you that you are here for a reason. One's past does not bother me so much if their present is on the right course," she informed him, tilting her own head a little to smile at him reassuringly. "I'd like to learn who you are now, and see if we would be a good fit for one another," the Companion added, her attention leveled entirely upon him, her gaze gentle but constant. One hand lifted to push her escaped strand of hair behind her ear, rings glimmering softly in the warm light of the room.

Benjamin Street

June 15, 2018, 07:19:21 PM #8 Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:24:41 PM by Benjamin Street
"I want to assure you that you are here for a reason. One's past does not bother me so much if their present is on the right course," she informed him, tilting her own head a little to smile at him reassuringly. "I'd like to learn who you are now, and see if we would be a good fit for one another,"

Ben returned her smile, and carefully stirred one cube of sugar into his tea as she spoke. "Well that's good to hear. Ask away." He said, leaning back and clasping his hands in his lap in a relaxed manner.

Elena

"Well that's good to hear. Ask away," Benjamin requested calmly.

"This ship of ours will most assuredly be crewed by individuals who supported Unification," she reminded him, reaching up to absently pass her hand over her chocolate waves, making sure they were still immaculate and away from her face. "What are your thoughts on working in such an environment?" Elena asked, raising a brow curiously and settling her hand back with the other atop her lap. Her voice was calm and soft and nothing she said indicated her own opinion on the issue. It also did not betray any sense of negativity at the idea that his past (or present) ideals might conflict with some of the crew. But it did seem as though she didn't think it'd be a problem herself. Still, she had to ask.

A trainee slipped into the room just long enough to pick up the spent incense and set a new one smoking in its place. When she slipped back out of the room, a gentle trail of smoke coiled its way after her before dissipating to fill the room with its soothing aroma.

Benjamin Street

June 16, 2018, 01:48:09 PM #10 Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:34:36 PM by Benjamin Street
Ben's expression changed briefly to one of equal parts wry chagrin and grimace. It was a question he'd expected. It only made sense that a vessel like The Allure would be hiring the best, and a lot of the best had supported the Alliance or were former Alliance Military.

"If you're asking if I'm going to regularly pick fights with anyone who supported Unification, the answer is no. It wont be a problem, at least on my end. I fought for the side I believed in, and I still believe it was the right side, even if we lost."

His eyes flicked to, and tracked the trainee as they completed their task and left, but he didn't stop speaking. Honesty seemed to be going over well, so he figured he should stick with it.

"When you're young and hot headed and fighting for a cause you dehumanize everyone who disagrees with your belief. They're just The Enemy."

His eyes turned back to Elena and he maintained eye contact while he spoke his piece.

"Took me a while to realize it, but I fought because I hated the idea of what the Alliance was doing, what they would do. Things like Miranda. But the guys on the other side of the battlefield? They weren't the ones doing things like Miranda. Most of them were just like me, just they made a different choice. They were fighting for what they thought was right, for a government they believed in. I can't really fault them for that."

He paused for a moment, considering what he'd said and how to finish it.

"I hold no love for the Alliance, I'll openly admit that to anyone who asks for my opinion on the subject, but I'm not gonna start a fight over it. Folk got a right to choose what they believe in."

His mouth felt a little dry, so he picked up his cup and took a sip of tea. "Mmm, usually more of a coffee guy, but this is good tea."

Elena

Honesty was always the best policy when dealing with Elena. She could forgive or try to understands one's point of view, but she would not tolerate dishonesty. The Companion sat up straight and watched him as he answered her question, her expression a mixture of curiosity and patience.

Her chin tilted downward a bit in the slightest nod of understanding. She could admire someone who stuck to their beliefs, even when they'd been beaten down. Elena also appreciated that he was the type to allow others to have their own belief as well.

Her expression sobered ever so slightly as he continued, and she found herself leaning just a tad closer to him as he spoke of his experiences and his perspective on the while thing. When he'd stopped, the woman turned her head to watch the smoke drift up from the incense, a thoughtful expression on her porcelain features. Eventually, she exhaled softly, her shoulders relaxing visibly. She'd been so focused upon his explanation that she'd been subconsciously holding her breath.

"Thank you for your honesty," she began, turning to level her gaze upon him once more, lips turned up in a warm and affectionate smile. "I look forward to working with you," she noted offhandedly, almost as though the decision to hire him or not had already been made. In fact, in essence, she had already intended upon taking him on, but she wanted to make sure he'd fit in well, and he'd settled more than one worry she'd had in the way he'd answered her question.

"I have a request," the Companion added, her smile blooming into what might have been a mischievous grin.

Benjamin Street

Ben face split into a grin when Elena indicated that he had the job. Her tone seemed offhand, almost like his hiring had been a forgone conclusion, which he wondered about. "Ah! Meraviglioso. I look forward to working with you as well."

His grin turned to a curious smile when she voiced that she had a request. He also felt a touch of apprehension at the mischief he saw in her smile. "What is it?" He said, taking another long sip of tea.

Elena

Elena looked his face over for a moment, the grin growing all the more playful. "I will be needing a second in command," she informed him, reaching forward to pick up her own teacup, her fingers curling around it slowly. Leaning back a bit, she set it on her lap, the vapor wafting up from the hot liquid.

"I'd like you to fill that position," she told him plainly, her head tilting very slightly as she gauged his reaction. She was sure the decision would baffle some and perhaps offend others, but it made sense to have him as her XO. His attitude, his experience, his talent, and his view point were essential to the proper running of her ship. By having the two commanding voices come from differing opinions, they would be able to keep each other in check and ensure all perspectives were taken into account. It would hold the ship and its crew accountable and prevent a harmful closed mindedness.

Benjamin Street

Ben nearly choked on his tea, and had to clear his throat before he could speak. "You want me as your XO?" He asked, somewhat incredulously. "Isnt that a position usually filled by someone you know and trust?" He paused and then quickly added, "Not that I mean to seem ungrateful for the offer or question your judgement, its just... I mean we've only known each other for... what, half an hour?"

Elena

June 16, 2018, 04:35:34 PM #15 Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:39:36 PM by Elena
Her eyes lit up with silent laughter and she watched him attempt to compose himself, painted lips curled in a perpetual smile. "You're not wrong," she admitted, setting her teacup down and picking up the datapad she'd set there. Waking it up, the Companion casually scrolled through her new crew, letting him see their images if he felt like looking. "There are a few other candidates, however," she began, stopping on his file, "I believe you would be the best fit."

Her other choices had been their new soldier turned cook Damien Riggs or their freshly hired gunhand Maxell Graves. Elena and Damien had a long history together, but she felt there might be too close a bond between them to keep things professional and unbiased and Maxell had no desire to give out orders any longer. The next name on her list of hopefuls was, in fact, Benjamin.

"As I mentioned before, our ship will likely be crewed by those who support the Alliance. Should my new XO be of that particular mindset, I worry that command's views would not be diverse enough to ensure fairness and professionalism on board," she continued, looking down at his image for another moment before turning to smile winningly at the man himself.

"Am I wrong to trust you?" she asked, one brow raised curiously. Obviously she did not think that was the case, but it didn't hurt to know his opinion on what he perceived was his level of trustworthiness.

Benjamin Street

Ben recomposed himself as Elena talked, and he had to agree that she made some good points. It was always good to have different point of view in the command structure. Different people saw things differently, could offer different insights into a situation, etc. Clearly this was not an out of the blue offer, she must have been considering it already. He watched the pictures on the data pad as they scrolled by. His immediate thought was Military Men. The final image was of him, and she spent an extra moment looking at it before turning her gaze back to him.

"Am I wrong to trust you?" Elena asked, one brow raised curiously.

He returned her smile. "No, you're not, and I'll do my best to prove that statement true. Its just this is definitely not a turn I expected my day to take!" He paused for a minute, drained the remainder of his tea, and chuckled. "If you really want me as your XO, alright, I'll do the job as best I can."

Elena

"If you really want me as your XO, alright, I'll do the job as best I can," Benjamin declared with a chuckle.

"I am very glad to hear that," Elena returned, once more leaning forward to set the datapad back onto the table, her bracelets sliding down her upper arm to settle at her wrist with a musical clinking. Giving him one more pleased once over, the Companion gently reached out to take his empty teacup and place it atop the bronze tray with the rest of the tea set.

"I will forward our decision to the Guild. When the ship is readied, word will be sent to you with instructions on the proper boarding procedure," she informed him, speaking in terms of we and us, already including him whole heartedly in the crew. Her hands hovered over the tea pot and she cast him a questioning glance, "Would you like another cup?" she asked politely, raising her brows ever so slightly. She knew their interview was essentially over, but she didn't want to push him out before he was ready.

Benjamin Street

"Well, maybe one more cup." He said. "I don't want to hold you up to long, I'm sure you have other business to attend to." Bens mind was still spinning a bit at the thought that he was now an XO of a ship. A ship jointly funded by the Companion Guild AND The House no less.

"Have you any notion as to how soon I'd be allowed aboard? I'd love to get on early and start getting a feel for her." He asked eagerly.

Elena

With a little nod and a pleasant smile, Elena poured him another cup of tea, then dropped in the same amount of sugar she'd seen him use before. From now on, his tea preferences would be engrained in her mind, although it was more her training than anything else doing the memorizing. Picking it up, she set it back down on the table in front of him and leaned back, her hands once more folded demurely atop her lap.

"I suspect it will only be a couple of days. I believe the ship is still being furnished and its cargo hold filled with the necessary supplies. But rest assured I will call for you before the majority of the crew. I think it would be best for my second in command to know the ship they're working on," she agreed, grinning a little.

Their Doctor, Brenna, would be one of the first people on board as she'd come with Elena. But after Elena had had some time to acclimate herself and the ships preparations were complete, she'd call on Benjamin first, allow him a couple of days to get to know the ship, and then call on the rest of their crew.