Short Leave On Return

Started by Desertpuma, April 23, 2018, 10:27:12 PM

Sienna Cole

Quote"For now, let's head down and prep for both. Overriding the doors and cutting through. Won't be able to make a call until we're on top of the ship. Might need to prep suits too, just in case. Hoping we don't need 'em cause if we do, we probably aren't finding anyone alive." It wasn't a thought that sat well with Carrie, but it was a real possibility. Sighing and trying to shove the dark thought aside, she shifted her weight to turn. "Alright, let's head down to the equipment lockers and get started. Better to be ready before we get there."

Sienna nodded and turned to follow Carrie to the equipment lockers, "Hoping whoever's in trouble isn't too banged up.  I've got some medical skills, but it's not like I have a degree or anything."

Quote"Been a few years since I was aboard, worked a few jobs with David. It's nice to be back. How long have you two been aboard?"

"Carrie's been here a while, maybe a year? I've only been here around six months....David's...a hard nut to crack." She smirked, she and David hadn't really been "gelling" so to speak.  She  got the feeling he didn't appreciate her sense of humor. 

Carrie Bowman

"Just over a year, yeah," Carrie confirmed with a smile. The three of them reached the equipment lockers. Opening the one in front of her, Carrie started pulling hull cutting tools while glancing to where the suits were kept. "One of us should check the suits. They're probably fine, but I'd hate to find out the hard way that one of them isn't, ya know?"

"Boss ain't that bad. He just smiles at everything, good or bad. Or so it seems. Just be yourself around him. If he don't like it, he'll let you know. Though I doubt he'll have much problem with you. He's just glad to have a ship and a crew." As she laid out some of the tools on the deck to start inspecting them, Carrie felt a few tendrils of hair fall loose from her braid. Blowing them from her face, she stood up. "No mention of injuries in the message that went out, so that might be good news there. I can manage a basic patch up, but anything more than that is gonna need someone better than me."

Evelyn Vell

Quote"Carrie's been here a while, maybe a year? I've only been here around six months....David's...a hard nut to crack."

Quote"Boss ain't that bad. He just smiles at everything, good or bad. Or so it seems. Just be yourself around him. If he don't like it, he'll let you know. Though I doubt he'll have much problem with you. He's just glad to have a ship and a crew."

E.V. smiled. "Yeah, I'm not sure David even Can be cracked. He is good people though, through and through." Satisfied that she was over prepared for hacking a simple door control, she moved over and began carefully checking the space suits. "Carries right though, if he had a problem with you he'd have said so by now. Always seemed to be pretty forthright in that regard."

Quote"No mention of injuries in the message that went out, so that might be good news there. I can manage a basic patch up, but anything more than that is gonna need someone better than me."

E.V. nodded. "I'm no good beyond Clean And Bandage The Wound. Never could learn all that medical jargon. I mean come on, Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis? Give me simple terms like EBCDIC, SMPS, or cache-coherency any day."
Dialogue color: hotpink

Sienna Cole

Quote"Yeah, I'm not sure David even Can be cracked. He is good people though, through and through." Satisfied that she was over prepared for hacking a simple door control, she moved over and began carefully checking the space suits. "Carries right though, if he had a problem with you he'd have said so by now. Always seemed to be pretty forthright in that regard."

Sienna smirked at E.V's comment.  She was oddly comforted by the statement. She never did well when she wasn't liked or had a problem with the people she worked with or for.  Sienna continued to look over the space suits as well checking for holes and patching where she found any.

Quote"I'm no good beyond Clean And Bandage The Wound. Never could learn all that medical jargon. I mean come on, Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis? Give me simple terms like EBCDIC, SMPS, or cache-coherency any day."

The statement caused Sienna to stop abruptly, mid patch.  It's like the word's complexity broke her mental status for a moment. She put down the sleeve of the suit and looked up at E.V. with a quizzical stare, "You're an odd one aren't you." She didn't mean it as an insult, it was more of an observation, but then again, Sienna was as socially awkward as they came.  She picked the sleeve back up and snorted a bit, laughing to herself as she taped over the suit, "Thankfully you don't need to know the names of all the parts of the engine, you've  just gotta know how the thingy majobber connects to the whatcha macallit, just don't turn the beep bopper counter clockwise otherwise we're all going down in a blaze."

Evelyn Vell

Quote"You're an odd one aren't you."

E.V.s smile widened to a full on grin, and she laughed. "One of the oddest." She said, giving the blue-eye bombshell a flirty wink.

Quote"Thankfully you don't need to know the names of all the parts of the engine, you've  just gotta know how the thingy majobber connects to the whatcha macallit, just don't turn the beep bopper counter clockwise otherwise we're all going down in a blaze."

E.V.s opinion of Sienna was growing higher by the minute. "Don't forget the doohickey, I can never remember if it needs to point to the left or up and to the right."

Carrie Bowman

"Left is closed, right is open," Carrie chimed in, her lopsided grin making its presence known as she looked over at the two. Even with a mission of seriousness ahead of them, it was nice to know that both of these women could joke a little bit. It helped ease the tension. With her check of the cutting equipment done, Carrie sat down, draping her arms over her knees, her hands hanging freely.

Then she pointed at Sienna. "Oh, and don't forget about whosits. Don't see 'em often, but up is shiny, down is for emergencies only."

Sienna Cole

Sienna snorted and shook her head at the two woman, "Captain's going to have his hands full with a group like us." She finished up patching her suit and looked to Carrie,

"Suppose now's a bad time for that hair cut and make over huh?" Sienna grinned as she teased Carrie. Her shoulders relaxed, she was feeling at easy with the two woman.  Perhaps this boat wouldn't be so bad after all.

Freya

"Damage report. Can you tell us what's working and what's not?" The Captain requested.

Freya looked around at the interior of the shuttle, a grimace pulling at her lips. "Damage report," she repeated, reaching forward to pick up the manual she'd been flipping through, "Okaaaay, let me just find out," she replied, flipping through the book before dropping it and mashing her hands across the console like it was a piano and she was a cat who had a personal vendetta against silence. The shuttle shuddered a bit in protest and jerked but was soon floating much as it had been before. Freya grabbed a lever and moved it back and forth with no response from the ship. "Okay! Can't go forward more than a crawl, uh, life supports obviously fine, eh..." she trailed off, "Oh, the door works fine, I can get it open if you can get it...attached to you?" she offered up.

"You're doin' great, tiger!"
a female voice informed her.

The girl snorted in surprise at the compliment from the strange woman, her brows furrowing in confusion. However, she rubbed her nose and looked down, mumbling a "Thanks," and trying to hide the smile in her voice.

"Oh, and I'm Briar, and this is Captain Maverick. What's your name?"
Briar asked.

"Eh, Freya. Fahn. Freya Fahn. But my friends call me Wisp. Well, one person calls me that. But I only have one friend so..." Freya cleared her throat and slapped her forehead with the palm of her hand, rubbing her face in frustration at herself, "Eh, nice to meet you Briar and Captain Maverick," she told them both, trying to be polite.
Dialogue color: teal

David Maverick

David visibly cringed when Briar gave her name and his. Obviously the thought hadn't crossed Briar's mind that this could be a somewhat elaborate trap. Setting up a dead or drifting ship as bait was a classic trick to lure unsuspecting do-gooders to their doom. The fact that the shuttle clearly was in actual mortal peril made the trap a lot less likely but David had not yet ruled it out as a possibility. Better safe than sorry.

Anyway.

Eventually 'Freya' gave David the information he needed. He manouevered the ship's controls to put it on a course to dock with the shuttle's main hatch.

He flicked the comm to the three ladies prepping for the boarding to let them know, "Contact made with the shuttle. Confirmed hatch integrity - well, sort of. We will try to dock in... forty seconds..."

He trusted he didn't need to tell them to be careful and prepared for anything on the other side. They were.

To the 'girl' David spoke reassuringly, "We're going to dock with your shuttle now."

Sienna Cole

Quote"Contact made with the shuttle. Confirmed hatch integrity - well, sort of. We will try to dock in... forty seconds..."

Sienna wasn't certain about that 'sort of,' that came over the comms, "That doesn't sound....good." It occurred to her they weren't aware of who was coming through that door and they would be the first one's greeting the stranger.  Her hand rested on her pistol as she looked over at Carrie, "We should probably get some place safe...just in case?"

Carrie Bowman

Carrie nodded to Sienna. The idea wasn't a bad one, but she felt like she ought to show a face to the door. "I'll stay at the doors, so there's at least a presence there. Dunno about you, but I think if I were on a shuttle being dragged into a star, I'd want to see a face on the other side of the door. But, yeah, you two cover me? Not keen on the idea of getting shot or anything. Even by accident."

She wasn't the most imposing figure, but she could at least look the part of a well traveled space fairer. It might deter any shooting. It might not. It was a gamble Carrie was willing to take. Plus, the idea put the other two out of any potential danger and the last thing she wanted was to have someone get hurt on her watch.

Evelyn Vell

E.V. noticed Siennas hand drop to her pistol, giving a sudden reminder that whoever came though the airlock might not be friendly, granted it wasn't very likely but still. Her hand went to the small of her back where her own firearm usually rested, only to remember it was still with the rest of her things, now in the crew quarters. No time to run and grab it... but she at least had her punch daggers if things got dangerous.

She moved over next to Sienna. "Right, sounds good. We'll cover you. Fingers crossed that whoever comes through the door will be harmless and very thankful though."

Freya

"We're going to dock with your shuttle now," the Captain informed her.

“Oh! Great! I am very much lookin’ forward to not bein' in here anymore,” she told the man with a grin. Keeping the link open just in case, Freya turned and hopped out of the chair. She grabbed the manual and stuffed it into her shoulder bag, which she’d already filled with the little treasures she’d found in the shuttle’s containers. Slinging its strap over her head, the bag settled across her chest and she had to wiggle and push it around so it was resting against her back instead.

With a thoughtful frown, Freya looked back toward the console, “Don’t forget you said you don’t hurt kids,” she asked, suddenly feeling a little nervous herself. Still, if they were thugs, she felt far better equipped to handled people than she was to take on a star. With a deep breath, Freya moved onto her tip toes and pressed her face against the little circular window on the hatch, watching his ship get closer to her little shuttle. “Woah,” she said aloud, her voice likely carrying over the still open comm link.

The girl started wiggling in a mixture of excitement and worry, counting down in her head to see if she could guess how many seconds away rescue was. “Oh!” she exclaimed, remembering something. “Hey, Captain? And, uh, Briar? I found a gun in the shuttle and I put it in my bag. Do you want me to give the bag to your crew? So’s they don’t accidentally shoot me?” she asked curiously, alternating her attention between the console and the window.

Desertpuma

The Brass Ferret drew ever close to the shuttle. With David's handling, the Lancaster salvage ship drew up alongside the shuttle with belied ease as the airlock seal hissed around the aperture. A soft chunk could be felt in both the shuttle and the Ferret as they were firmly connected. For those onboard the salvage ship, it was evident they could trigger the opening of the shuttle door. For David, being in the cockpit, he could feel the pull of the star on the controls.

Sienna Cole

June 17, 2018, 05:03:08 PM #74 Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:04:48 PM by Sienna Cole
The hiss of the airlock caused Sienna to jump slightly, she wasn't used to the suspense. Everything planet side was predictable, even in prison. The light blinked by the air lock, indicating the door could now be opened. Sienna nodded towards Carrie indicating she'd be opening the door.  Before doing so Sienna went over to the comms and pressed the button,

"Airlock sealed sir, we're opening the doors now." She wanted to notify David in case the stranded individuals on the other side of the door were unfriendly.

Sienna moved to the button to unlock the door and pressed it quickly, the mechanism began moving slowly, opening a door way to the shuttle.

Carrie Bowman

Carrie had waited for the lock and was glad to hear the seal go into place. Returning Sienna's nod, Carrie stood a little more upright, but did what she could to keep her stance somewhere between strong and non threatening. A long slow breath and she watched the doors start to cycle open. Once there was enough of a gap, she tried to peek through to get a glimpse of whoever might be on the other side. The sooner she had an idea of who they were and what their intentions might be, the better.

Beneath her feet, she felt like the ship was shifting a bit. They were awfully close to the star, which likely meant they were feeling some of the pull of gravity. "Need to get this done quick. Ship feels like she's pulling..."

Evelyn Vell

E.V. stayed close to Sienna, tensing as the airlock started to cycle open. Suddenly she felt the adrenaline that had been keeping her awake and functioning since they'd received the distress call start to ebb, and the deck seemed to move beneath her.

Quote"Need to get this done quick. Ship feels like she's pulling..."

Carries statement helped a little of her sudden worry. Of course the deck felt like it was moving, they were on a ship very close to a star. Nothing to worry about Vee, just keep it together, if they're friendly you can go pass out against the wall. Just gotta stay awake so we can not die if they're not so friendly.

She could feel the wave of tiredness looming higher behind her.

David Maverick

"Roger that," David replied to Sienna letting him know that they were opening the airlock doors.

Being pilot and Captain did have its drawbacks. David kind of hated that he was sitting in the cockpit - safe - while his crew were downstairs taking risks. It was the way it had to be but that didn't mean David liked it.

Freya's question about the gun in her bag got a briefly cocked eyebrow from David. It didn't seem like a trick question...

"Hold the bag in one hand, away from your body, and keep both hands up so my crew can see them. That's generally the safest way not to get shot," he answered. "If you're really alone, everything will be fine and they'll take care of you."

Freya

Heeding the Captains instructions, Freya moved to the door, the bag hanging on the wrist of her right hand. She held both hands up and nibbled on her lower lip nervously, eager to get out of the shuttle. As the hatch opened, Freya made sure the bag was held away from her body for his crew to grab. She really hoped they weren't planning on attacking her... Just to be safe, she kept the com link open so the Captain could hear them still.

As the three women came into view, the girl smiled awkwardly and waved with her free hand, a slight grimace tugging at her lips. "Uh. Hi," she greeted tentatively.

Carrie Bowman

As the doors slid open, Carrie finally saw inside and spotted someone... shorter than expected. Her eyebrows went up and her stance went a little easier. Glancing around the shuttle, or what she could see of it, there didn't seem to be anyone else aboard. "Well... hello there. Seems like you might be needing a lift seeing as this little bird of yours doesn't seem to be wanting to fly for you."

Returning the smile, Carrie motioned for the girl to come through the doors. The sooner they got her aboard, the sooner they could get out of the pull of gravity. Her smile grew a little, hoping to put the girl at ease. "Just you over there by your lonesome?" Another peek into the shuttle and then her eyes went to EV and Sienna, waiving off the cover. "Think we could use one more girl over here, don't you two?"