S02E01 - Hunting Gryphons - Day 4 - Gathering the Crew

Started by Chris Carver, October 11, 2017, 04:58:06 AM

Chris Carver

October 11, 2017, 04:58:06 AM Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:53:29 PM by Chris Carver
Mischief - Cargo Ramp

Mischief still located in a field in Harper's Farm, outside Juniper Grove

Chris lounged at the top of the cargo ramp, the fingers of her hands in her jeans pockets which caused her jacket to be pulled back, revealing the revolver in its holster on each hip. She was chewing a blade of grass and looking every bit the country bumpkin. A few years previously it wouldn't have been so far from the truth; she was a country girl at heart, more at home on the range, riding fences, herding cattle and hunting deer and pigs, the latter on foot with a knife, the former with an open-sight .303 rifle.

She was waiting for the members of the crew that they had managed to hire so far, directly through advertisement or via an agency. Addison had fronted that via Cortex capture link with Chris lurking out of sight of the camera but watching the prospective crew members.

It was a test, of sorts, going back to her roots; she wanted to see how the new crew members reacted to her when they didn't know her position on the ship or that she was the owner-of-record of the vessel, a jest perpetrated by Addison's elder brother There was the risk that it would backfire, that the new crew would take her attitude as an indication of the way the ship was run but then, that too could be considered another aspect of the test.

Addison Michael Carver

Addison was going a long with Chris' method of assessment. He was well aware that a withheld truth was a powerful tool, and that the smallest of behaviours spoke for the larger personality.

As the 'face' of Mischief, Addison waited with her as a beacon to the new crew members. 'Michael' as they would know him, his true forename being considered a loaded gun that could easily be pointed at him. Very few who had met him in recent years had discovered that name. He clung to that secret tightly.

Weirdly, his wife's excitement regarding a new crew had been infectious. He would have been happy to confine the Carvers to a solitary life running a cafe in a space station, but her ambition was insatiable and he found the most comfortable in making her happy. Now they had together constructed a crew for their future venture and the anticipation was rather enjoyable.

Michael stood at the entrance of the ship, straightening out his shirt another of times and readjusting his jacket. Wanted to look his best. Wanted to put his strongest face on.

Alexandria Mercer

October 19, 2017, 03:57:23 AM #2 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:17:13 AM by Alexandria Mercer
A few clicks outside the Saloon
Mercy, as Alex tended to go by now, jumped up and down and shook out her head as she paused on her way to her new job. She had only intended to have a drink or two, but someone she ended up staying in the Saloon longer than she intended. No biggy, she'd been worse than this.
Taking out some antiseptic, she rubbed herself down, the cleansing agent easily covering up any lingering smell of liquor. The coffee she'd drunk had also given her a spike in energy. She hated mixing the two, but hey...she remained under her doctors supervision and now she smelled like a clean medical bay with a cup of coffee sitting in it.
She giggle to herself. Under medical supervision
Yeah she was in a good mood.
She sat down and repacked her cleaner carefully. Kneeling on the ground, she took out her pistol and was careful to check that it was ready to fire if need be. She didnt know these people, although Chris came across okay via message. She rubbed her finger across the charms of her bracelet, breathing in deep.
"Mama's still thinking of you my babies," the action often calmed her. Forcing her mind away from wherever it was headed and onto the day Jason had presented her with the bracelet the day Zayn was born. "I miss you guys"

Sucking it up, she stood up and placed a serene, yet friendly expression on her face and continued on to the ship.

Mischief
It was an impressive boat. Mercy nodded and ran a hand through her blonde hair as she approached the cargo ramp. She smoothed out any wrinkles, briefly wondering if she should have put on her lap coat. No...that would have been silly. Her nice shirt and slacks, left over from easier days, was good enough. She hoisted her medical bag carefully as she made her way up the ramp.

Mercy smiled at the sight, this woman easily reminded her of good friends back on Shadow. It brought back better memories and she had to take a moment to collect herself before speaking.  Gosh she reminded her of Caity. Caity had been on of the hands on a farm near the Medical center on Shadow. She would come in all roughed up, not even from the war, just regular day to day work of keeping things going as best she could during the fight. They were good people, the Danvers, Good hardworking people.

"Hi. I'm looking for a the Captain of this vessel? My name is Alexandria Mercer. The new doc." She smiled warmly at the woman, feeling at ease with the woman's demeanor. Glancing up, she noticed a man standing not to far away, close to the ship entrance. He seemed a bit more...stern than the relaxed lady she saw first.
Eh she'd figure out who was who eventually.

Glen Demonte

October 19, 2017, 03:08:02 PM #3 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:38:29 PM by Glen Demonte
The mule Glen had caught a ride on barely slowed as it passed the berth the Mischief, giving him just enough time to hop off the back and bull his two bags with him. He hit the ground and stumbled, dropping his bags on the hard packed ground, but a few paces managed to right himself without tasting dirt. Glen straightened and casually strolled back to his bags. One, a rucksack that had seen better years, went up over a shoulder, a spare pair of boots dangling from the bottom. The other, a newer, if not less worn heavy duty cargo bag, was hoisted up in both hands until the sling could get passed over his head. Properly weighed down Glen turned a sharp forty five degrees to face the ship then proceeded to stride towards it, his left hand drumming a pattern on the top of his tool bag.

Glen's eyes moved lazily over the angles and curves of Mischief, a wan smile tucking his lips up. She was a nice ship. Hopefully the inside would reflect the out. The mechanic took a deep breath and began strolling towards the two women on the main ramp. As he neared Glen noticed a man a little further up. He had been hired entirely via text and didn't have the first clue as to who was who in regards to the Mischief. That would get sorted out with time.

"Folks." He spoke to all three of them, four even if you wanted to count the ship, as that was where his eyes still focused. "We called dibs for bunks yet?" Glen stuffed his right hand into the hip pocket of his coveralls while the left continued to tap out a dissonant pattern atop his tools.

Chris Carver

Mischief - Cargo Ramp

Chris watched the young woman as she made her way up the ramp, returning her initial smile with one of her own.

Mercy said: "Hi. I'm looking for a the Captain of this vessel? My name is Alexandria Mercer. The new doc."

Her smile broadened in response to Mercy's followup, warmer smile. It boded well.

"Welcome aboard. I be Chris, one of the gunhands," which was true as far as it went.

Before she could respond further, the next member of the crew rolled up. His first words were interesting. To Chris it was clear that he had immediately taken her for one of the crew.

Glen said: "Folks. We called dibs for bunks yet?"

"Depends who be askin', Chris said and a mischievous thought crossed her mind. She glanced at her husband and then back at the newer arrival.

"I got my bunk sorted. I'm not one to speak out of turn but he," Chris pointed at Addison and lowered her voice conspiratorially, ""be sleepin' with the Captain." It was so hard to keep a straight face. She hoped Addison would forgive her.

Addison Michael Carver

"Miss Mercer," began Michael as he greeted the first arrival. Their only interaction up to this point being that he had been the face of Mischiefs advert for staff. "As someone with something of a medical history I was very impressed by your resume l, thank you for joining us." He met her with her handshake. "Call me Michael from now on, these formalities can get a might uncomfortable."

Might. A might uncomfortable. Someone colloquialisms were seeping into his lexicology.

Addison turned attention to the second arrival, who struck up a conversation with Chris before he could greet him. Then Chris put him in a rather uncomfortable position, not the kind he strived to promote on first meeting.

"Well..." Addison was a little caught off guard, and struggling to play it off. "I..." A nervous smile held on his face. "I must afraid she does have the biggest bed, and I am a glutton for comfort."

"Mister Demonte, I'm Michael." A handshake followed. "I'll see to getting you to your room rather soon. Then as it a happens I have a matter of interest for your talents." a very recent repair could always use a lookover by her new carer.

Alexandria Mercer

"I got my bunk sorted. I'm not one to speak out of turn but he," Chris pointed at Addison and lowered her voice conspiratorially, ""be sleepin' with the Captain."

Mercy let out an undignified snort. Was that something she needed to know...no. Was it interesting as hell...yes! She put on her own grin as the man made his way closer. She nodded at the niceties, this part of the meeting was always uncomfortable. She had worked on shadow, but as soon as some people saw where she went to school, they judged her. She was not a friend of the Alliance, but she was definitely not ashamed of where she came form, despute all that happened.
Luckily, it didn't seem that would be a problem here.

"I must afraid she does have the biggest bed, and I am a glutton for comfort."

"Comfort...thats what they are calling it now," she looked down while grinning. Ok so maybe the alcohol in system was making this much funnier than it was...but damn it, she needed a laugh. "So are you guys relatively new here also? I mean obviously Michael has been here a while, but what about you Chris?"

Glen Demonte

As Chris introduced Michael a smile tugged at Glen's lips but he abstained from commenting on that particular note, at least for now. Inter-crew relations were not something to stick your nose into on your first day. Tugging his right hand from it's pocket he met Michael with a firm shake, his eyes lit up as the man made a vague indication that there sommat mechanical that needed inspecting.

"Call me Glen, Mister Demonte is my father, and you can forget the bunk for now. I'm sure I'll make do. Whatsit that you have an inclination for me to look over?"

He paused then and mimed tipping a hat towards the striking woman in that almost out of place clean clothing. "Ma'am. Name's Glen Demonte. Ships mechanic."

Alexandria Mercer

"Ma'am. Name's Glen Demonte. Ships mechanic."

"Alex Mercer, most people just call me Mercy." She smiled at the tip of the hat, everything still amusing to her, and held out her hand. "I guess I'm the new doctor on board. I'm sure I'll be patching you up soon enough since your the mechanic" He was handsome, and looked very different from Jason, which meant she didn't mind him being easy on the eyes. Since her husbands death, anytime she looked for "comfort" (was she really going to call it that now), it came in the form of attractive women, or men who didn't have olive skin or green eyes. She hated that any man who resembled him sent her into fits. Thank goodness none on this crew did.

"Well I guess were just going to be waiting for the captain now?" She got a bit jittery. Standing in one spot to long put her on edge. Between the war and the bombing, she felt vulnerable whenever she stopped moving. Didnt matter if she was supposedly in a safe place. Hospitals and Civilian area were supposed to have been a safe space too.

Chris Carver

October 25, 2017, 11:50:16 AM #9 Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:18:51 AM by Chris Carver
Mischief - Cargo Ramp

Chris witnessed Addison's reaction with dismay and she realised that she had overstepped the mark. Suddenly angry with herself, she dismissed continuing to run with the joke which suddenly didn't seem to be not so funny and her thoughts turned to how to recover from the situation. While she was pondering the problem, the conversation moved on; she missed Alexandria's question about how long she had been on the ship, and it was only when Alexandria commented that they were just waiting for the Captain that she tuned back into what was going on around her.

Chris turned to face her husband.

"I'm sorry, Michael, I shouldn't have said that," she apologised, her tone contrite and her voice loud enough for everyone to hear. She walked up to him; her eyes searched his face for a few moments, her own eyes misting a little with fear that she might have harmed their relationship.

She moved to stand beside him, turned to face the two new members of the crew, and attempted to slip her arm into Addison's.

"I can attest to the comfort of the bed as I be the one Michael shares it with. I be Chris Carver, Captain and Michael's wife." Her labelling herself as Addison's wife rather than him as her husband was deliberate on Chris's part, putting Addison in the dominant role as a way of underlining her apology to him.

"I'm sorry for the deception, too, " she continued, her tone still contrite. "I wanted to see how you behaved towards ordinary crew and I got carried away with the role. It was misguided. But it be true that I am also one of the gunhands. I hope we can put this indiscretion on my part behind us and move on."

Chris' tone became more professional and authoritative as she moved on.

"As for cabins, the other gunhand, Andes, has the port aft cabin; Michael and I share the port centre cabin. Currently the port forward cabin, which be a single, and the two starboard cabins, which have two bunks each are free. We are going to have a full crew so it might be best if we wait for the rest of the crew to arrive before assigning cabins so that those sharing can work out who they want to share with. Alexandria.... Mercy, if you want to be closer to the infirmary, you can take one of the passenger cabins."

Chris stopped and waited for reactions.

Glen Demonte

Glen lifted both eyebrows at Chris' revelation about, in fact, being the captain herself. Well. The ship's name certainly fit. In the meantime he took Alexandria's hand. His, like most every mechanic worth their grit, was calloused and strong. Fingers long and nimble and in that brief moment of contact steady as a well calibrated ship in the black. "I'm avoiding several poor puns I am sure you have heard more times than you'd like to count, ma'am. But I'll see if I can keep my bumps and scrapes to thematically appropriate amounts." Glen's smile was friendly, crows feet wrinkling at the corners of his eyes.

To Chris he gave a solid nod, his left hand still drumming a silent pattern atop his tool bag. "No harm done Cap. Wiley way of rooting out the high and mighties though if I do say so myself."

Glen had served on many ships over the last several years, and under many different sorts of folk. Most of which were respectable. Some of which were decidedly not. So far, he had a pleasant feeling about the few standing near him. It helped that their doc was easy on the eyes. He had seen enough doctors in his time to have grown a little tired of them. Glen silently decided to give Mercy a chance though.

Alexandria Mercer

"Oh." Mercy's eyebrows jumped as the relaxed woman introduced herself as the captain of the ship. Well, that was an interesting way to get to know your crew.  The doctor gave a wry grin to show she wasnt upset at all by the deception

Alexandria.... Mercy, if you want to be closer to the infirmary, you can take one of the passenger cabins."

Mercy nodded. "Well looks like I'm going to miss out on all the fun back there in the crew quarters."  She put her bag down and unbutton a notch on her blouse. here they were waiting and it was hot. Why she decided to get dressed up was suddenly loss on her. She was definitely slipping off this button up soon if they didnt get a move on. Her tank top might now have been professional, but it was certainly more comfortable.
"How many more members of the crew are we expecting captain?" Gun hand, mechanic, doctor...that seemed like a good start to her, but then again, she never really paid attention to what it took to keep a ship running. She tried not to sound rushed, but...she really wanted to start getting set up. If anything happened, she'd hate to be caught looking for supplies or still unpacking during an emergency.

Emerson Bell

November 04, 2017, 05:31:19 PM #12 Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:14:05 AM by PurpleRiver
She was late.  She hated being late and it was not a great way to introduce yourself to your new boss.  However it wasn't entirely her fault as the shuttle she hitched a ride with was landlocked for a half hour while her chauffeur "ironed out" the details of a parking ticket.  She was amazed at some of the people given pilot's licenses now days.

Once landed she hitched a ride on a mule and arrived to the ship where a convergence of what she assumed was the new crew was in progress.  She had quite a large amount of baggage to boot, two large duffle bags, one with her munitions and the other with whatever workout gear she was able to travel with.  Thankfully that bag came with wheels or she'd look silly standing in one place trying to pull a 300 lb bag.  She also had the backpack she kept from her service which had been stuffed to the brim with whatever tools she thought she'd need and some personal effects.  Lastly she had a thankfully light satchel which had her certifications, medical and tax records.  Her father had pretty much drilled in the importance of keeping ones finances in order from a young age, ironic that it was his meticulous accounting that sent him to jail.

She managed well enough with her luggage as she approached the group, the arm dragging the rolling duffle starting to feel the strain.  She didn't mind the slow approach as she assessed the people assembled ahead.  One woman seemed out of place in recently cleaned clothes, looked designer not that Emerson was a fashionista but when one grew up with snobby rich people things that were important to them became apparent.  Possibly a companion?
The second was actually quite large she realized as she grew closer, not particularly muscular but tall, she didn't see much signs of weaponry and his hands had the tell-tale engine grease engraved in the crevices of his skin.  Mechanic.

The next two she wasn't certain of one dressed very lax and was that a piece of grass she was chewing on?  Looked more like one of her mothers farmhands than a space-farer however looks could be deceiving.  She had no guess what she did.
Further back in the cargo bay was a diminutive man, leading her to think there wasn't much of a mercenary vibe to this ship.  She didn't get much from the job posting other than that they needed a pilot.  Jury was still out on the two on the ship but she felt she had a good read on the other two.
Finally reaching the group she thankfully let her luggage drop to the ground other than her satchel from which she produced her documentation.

"Emerson Bell.  Pilot.  I'm looking for a man named Michael.  I have my documentation in order."  Her eyes went between the two men but mostly focused on the man in the ship, he seemed the more likely candidate to be her new employer.

Addison Michael Carver

Addison could feel Chris' embarassment over what she had said. He sympathised with her, wanted to tell her not to worry but also was very much looking forward to teasing her over relentlessly in private. Now wasn't the time. "Well. Now the theatrics are dispensed with let us get familiar with the ship."

But before that could happen, another arrival. "Miss Bell, glad to have you with us. This ship was not going far on my amateur efforts." Slight woukd be the best word to describe Michael's grasp on piloting. Flight was achievable, wellbeing was questionable. "We were just getting acquainted with each other."

"May I introduce the captain, Chris Carver. And there's a very scandalous rumor going around that she may be my wife. I wouldnt dare to pass comment though." A sly grin emanated from his lips.

"Perhaps we should reconvene in the galley once everybody is familiar with their quarters. Yes?" He looked to the captain.

Chris Carver

"Thank you," Chris acknowledged with relief the grace the two new crew members had shown in accepting her mistake.

Mercy said: "How many more members of the crew are we expecting captain?"

"We be expectin' a pilot and maybe another gun hand," Chris replied. Both were running a little later than they had communicated but there was no indication that they were not going to turn up. The gun hand was, potentially, optional; the pilot was more than a little necessary.

Chris sauntered back to her post and took up her position again; she wanted to give the impression that she was just another hand but she didn't intend to repeat her mistake.

She had only just got settled when the next person arrived. Chris watched the young woman struggling with her belongings, wondering why someone would tote around so much. Not that she had any particular feelings on the subject, as long as the contents of the heavy bags didn't turn out to be something that might cause the ship embarrassment or worse.

Emerson said: "Emerson Bell.  Pilot.  I'm looking for a man named Michael.  I have my documentation in order."

Chris showed no sign of acknowledgement other that a brief nod of her head in the direction of her husband.

"Chris' husband said: "May I introduce the captain, Chris Carver. And there's a very scandalous rumour going around that she may be my wife. I wouldn't dare to pass comment though."

"Terrible things rumours," Chris commented, straight faced. "It be no rumour, though, Emerson. Scandalous is another matter and it not be for me to judge." She kept her straight face for a moment or two longer and then smiled.

Addison said: "Perhaps we should reconvene in the galley once everybody is familiar with their quarters. Yes?"

"A very good idea," Chris agreed and dropped her stalk of grass outside the ship.

Chris approached the new pilot, "Let me help you with that, Emerson," Chris offered, indicating the wheeled case.

Glen Demonte

November 08, 2017, 11:26:49 AM #15 Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:31:46 AM by Glen Demonte
Their pilot had arrived, and she seemed the professional sort. That was no hair off Glen's chin. A professional pilot was less likely to get them all killed over a stupid mistake. That said, hopefully she would be amenable to working with him in getting a proper tune on the ship. A firefly was by no means the fastest or most agile ship in the verse. But there was a heady amount of aftermarket products for them, and with a little ingenuity, you could catch a lot of people off guard.

Addison said: "Perhaps we should reconvene in the galley once everybody is familiar with their quarters. Yes?"

"A very good idea," Chris agreed and dropped her stalk of grass outside the ship.

"Shiny." Glen adjusted his gear upon his shoulders and Began to make his way up the ramp into the cargo bay before pausing and turning to look between Chris and Mercy. "Less Mercy wants her privacy, you mind if I drop my stuff in one of the smaller passenger cabins? Closer to the engine room and all." He gave an almost shy smile, " 'Sides I'll probably end up hanging hammock up in the engine room anyway." There was something intrinsically soothing about the sound of a well tuned engine, and if Glen had any say in the matter, the Mischief was going to be purring smoothly in no time at all. Glen flicked his gaze between the Mischief's Captain and her new Doctor. Both seemed to be the sort he could get along with so long as he made sure to keep on their good sides.

Alexandria Mercer

Mercy was bouncing in excitement as the captain said it was time to get into the ship. Finally she was out of the open. Yes, ships were capable of being attacked, but it was certainly safer than standing on ground.

Glen Said: "Less Mercy wants her privacy, you mind if I drop my stuff in one of the smaller passenger cabins? Closer to the engine room and all. 'Sides I'll probably end up hanging hammock up in the engine room anyway."

In all honesty, she preferred privacy, but someone the next room over wasnt the same as being in her room. She could keep her personal items locked up. The mechanic didnt seem the type to go shooping through other peoples things, and as long as he kept to himself, she wouldn't mind.

"No problems here. I was worried about being on the outskirts of the rest of the crew on the lower level of the ship" She gave a tight smile. Most passenger cabins were nice enough and private.
She could feel her fingers shaking with the urge to get down to her work area and set up, or it might be that she had gone too long without her medicine. Either way, she needed to get inside. Hopefully things were up to date enough. If not...it would take her even longer to settle in.

Emerson Bell

November 08, 2017, 03:22:46 PM #17 Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:20:07 AM by PurpleRiver
"Miss Bell, glad to have you with us. This ship was not going far on my amateur efforts.  We were just getting acquainted with each other.  May I introduce the captain, Chris Carver. And there's a very scandalous rumor going around that she may be my wife. I wouldnt dare to pass comment though."

Em raised her eyebrow at the man as he introduced his wife and her new boss.  She wasn't good at introductions at least not if they involved more than a name and a purpose for the
conversation.  It seemed that was a trait not lacking from her new employers as Chris chimed in as well.

"Terrible things rumours," Chris commented, straight faced. "It be no rumour, though, Emerson. Scandalous is another matter and it not be for me to judge."
She attempted an awkward smile and what was supposed to pass for a chuckle as she put her papers away seeing as the captain seemed to have little interest in them.

"Perhaps we should reconvene in the galley once everybody is familiar with their quarters. Yes?"

As the new crew resigned to boarding and selecting cabins, something which wasn't of particular interest to Em so long as she had somewhere to work out.  She wasn't one to sleep much and on most ships she adopted the cockpit as her room anyway.  The captain offered to help with her bag but Bell wasn't really there with the trust yet and gripped the handle once more.

"No.  Thank you.  I can manage."  She responded as she started up the ramp.

Andes Maley

Beep, beep, beep... the sound of his alarm clock woke Andes from his sleep. Fumbling with it without looking, he eventually got the damn thing to turn off. His head hurt like a Biǎo zi. Another late night in town. Not as profitable as some of the others, in fact, he lost creds once you factor in the drinks, but entertaining. That alone was worth it on this god forsaken rock.

He rolled out of his sheets and sat up. Today was a big day, the new crew would arrive. With the captain finding work, she also found a crew. Andes was amazed that a small, backwater world like this had so many down on their luck crews looking for work. He glanced at the clock again, they would be here by now he thought.

His internal thoughts continued, first impressions or go about business like a normal day. In the end, business as usual won out. Grabbing his work out gear, he climbed the ladder and made his way to the cargo hold. Those he passed he offered a quick, "Welcome aboard. I'm Andes, a security officer. Once you find your way around and are settled, you can join me for a lift." He didnt really have a title but whatever, close enough. They were getting their bearings and he didnt want to delay them doing what they needed to do. If they wanted to chat, he would be happy to.

He wandered out the cargo ramp for a quick warm up jog before the workout began.

Chris Carver

Glen said: "Less Mercy wants her privacy, you mind if I drop my stuff in one of the smaller passenger cabins? Closer to the engine room and all. 'Sides I'll probably end up hanging hammock up in the engine room anyway."

"Yes, you may take one of the passenger cabins, Glen. Mercy, I only suggested a passenger cabin in case you wanted to be closer to the infirmary. There should be room in the crew quarters if you prefer. Chris didn't see the difference, really; to her mind, crew interactions took place in the working spaces of the ship, not the small, cramped cabins, be they the crew quarters or the passenger cabins.

Emerson said: "No.  Thank you.  I can manage."

Chris smiled in a good natured way and turned to lead the way into the ship. She pointed out the salient features as they went in case there were members of the crew who were not familiar either with a Firefly or the particular layout of Mischief.

"I'll let you chose cabins and settle in. We can convene in the galley for lunch and a talk about the standin' orders and mission in an hour. Feel free to explore the ship with the excepting of the midships port cabin which be Addison and mine, the aft port cabin that be Andes and the passenger cabin occupied by our charterer." Chris said when they reached the galley.