The Storm before the Calm

Started by Michael Becker, August 04, 2018, 05:25:46 PM

Michael Becker

Most people long for a quiet life. They want a simple job that puts food on their plate and a roof over their head. Then they can only hope to share that existence with loved ones.

That life was almost in sight for Mike.

Sure it was a little more rough around the edges than that. He was wanted by the Alliance, and hiding out on the Rim. But he had a woman he loved and a child that was his world. And he had a ship. An incredible ship.

"Gorram piece of junk!"

She too was a little rough around the edges. Getting on a little bit. Needed a little bit of a makeover, but she was perfectly functional.

"It says it should be there, but it's not there!"

She was cheap. That's why Becker had her. Even though he had done well in his earlier career, he hadn't saved up enough to purchase a quality cruiser.

"No no no!"

Plumes of black smoke started pouring from the engine Mike was looking into. It roared with a noise that almost garnered sympathy from him, it was like his ship was screaming out. Becker grabbed at the shut off lever trying to put a stop to the air and noise pollution, before finally he tugged in the right area and made the machine moan and wind down to a srop. All that was left was to rush outside before the smoke clogged his lungs.

Out emerged Mike on the entrance ramp, sleeves rolled up and oil dirtying his skin and clothes. He coughed away what he had inhaled and tried to recover. Perhaps you couldn't fix an old engine following instructional videos on the cortex. It really wasn't Becker's area of expertise.

Trina

Trina had opted to sit outside the ship with Hope and was glad now that she had. While it wasn't funny that the engines were billowing smoke, it was slightly funny to watch Mike exit the ship at a run trying to clear his lungs. Still, that meant bad news. The ship had been cheap and Trina wondered just how bad a shape the ship was in. Smoke and overly loud engines gave her the answer. As a little more smoke started to exit the ship, she stood and moved back a little to keep herself and Hope out of the smoke.

"I take it things didn't go so well?" she asked, trying to keep the mild amusement out of her voice. He really was trying, and she knew that. It was one of the things she loved about Mike. He tried so hard, did everything within his power to keep them going. Now, with the smoke starting to clear, she moved over to him with a soft smile on her lips. As she reached him, she looked back to the ship for a moment. "Maybe it's time to look into a mechanic, hm?"

There wasn't much money to pay for a mechanic or anything else really. She had a little bit tucked away, but it would be a stretch to think it would be enough to get them off the ground. Money wasn't their only problem. Being wanted for questioning was the other issue stopping them from running out and finding a good mechanic. Too much time in town would give too many people a good look at their faces. As it was, they were pushing it by being stuck. Yet somehow, they always found a way. 'Oh for a small miracle... just enough to keep us moving...'

Gemma Pierce

Gemma had been planet side for a few days, she was waiting for drop so she could deliver the goods.  She had been smuggling since the war, but after it ended she stopped taking jobs that paid next to nothing.  Charity was a thing of the past and she had to thing of her own survival. Most of her crew had broken off or died during the war, so she went it alone.  Piloting being the only real skill she had, Gemma contracted herself out to the highest bidder and shipped their goods from planet to planet. She rented out a long range shuttle that would get her from place to place, but the lease was coming up and she didn't have the funds to continue.  But that was a problem for future Gemma, not current Gemma. 

She walked along the dock, looking around for her contact when smoke billowing out of a ship  caught her eye.  Gemma walked a bit closer and a familiar face appeared. Trina, she hadn't seen her since that last shipment at New Hope.  She walked closer and gave a wave and a quick smile, noticing the child with her, it seemed things had gone well after the war. Or well enough, her ship seemed to be falling apart.

"Hey...not sure if you remember me, I'm Gemma, used to run supplies to you...good to see you made it out of there in once piece." She stopped at the bottom of the ramp and offered the woman a smile hoping Trina remembered her, and she wasn't just making a pigu of herself.

Trina

A voice, one that was distantly familiar, called out from behind Trina and at first she was afraid to turn around. It was the tone that made her look back over her shoulder. There was a friendliness to it and as soon as the name was given and paired with the face, Trina was momentarily transported back to the clinic on New Hope. For a moment, she was standing in a darkened door way, watching Gemma come in leading in her crew with supplies. Blinking, she returned to the present moment, a smile breaking out across her face.

"By every star in the Verse, Gemma! I didn't think I'd ever see your face again!" Moving down the ramp, she stopped short of giving Gemma a hug. Instead, she smiled largely in greeting. So much had changed since they'd last met. "You survived the war, I see." Looking back, she motioned for Mike to join her at the end of the ramp. Not just for an introduction, but to get him clear of the remnants of the smoke trailing out of the ship.

"Mike, come meet an old.. friend.. of mine. Back from my clinic days."

Michael Becker

"I can't even imagine how somebody who knew what they were doing would cope." Mike lifted up his Cortex Unit from which he had been using a DIY guide to engines. "The whole thing is back to front to how they show it here." And suddenly a lightbulb went off in Becker's mind, and he turned the plans the right way up. He shook his head and sighed. He was still out of his element.

They were then pleasantly surprised by an acquaintance of Trina's.

"I'd shake your hand, but..." Mike held up his hands, palms forward, showcasing a mess of dirt and oil. "Nice to meet you." He nodded. Mike knew of Trina's clinic days, and how important they were to her, but he couldn't know her exact relationship with Gemma. He hoped it was good, even though times there were never exactly good.

Becker wiped his hands on his shirt. "You don't happen to be a world class mechanic do you?"

Desmond Holt

August 13, 2018, 10:26:30 AM #5 Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:42:28 AM by Desmond Holt
Desmond Holt was looking for a job. He still had a decent cushion of money left before things would start looking desperate, but it was always good to have work. He'd just gotten back to town the night before from spending 2 weeks out in the wilds. He'd had time to shower and wash his things, which was good when looking for potential employment.

He was dressed in a burgundy shirt, a dark brown doeskin vest, grey linen pants, well worn but solid boots, and his long brown leather duster left unbuttoned. Strapped to either thigh in well made leather holsters were his massive hand-canons, partially visible with each step as his long strides shifted his coat.

As he walked along the docks taking in the ships, he heard an awful sound coming from an old beat up looking Grendel class transport further down the line. Clearly the ship was having engine problems, and if he had to guess, someone who didn't know what they were doing was trying to fix it. The noise finally stopped and a few moments later and a man emerged onto the ramp to join a pretty brunette holding a baby, accompanied by some wisps of dark smoke. Unfortunate for them, but a good sign for him.

He headed towards the ship. As he neared the ramp a second brunette approached and struck up a conversation with the first woman. She looked awfully familiar... he usually had a pretty good memory for beautiful women. He made it into earshot in time to hear a few snippets of their conversation, and he recognized the second woman's voice. Smuggler... part of another crew? G something... G... G... Grim? Grimma? No... Gem! Gemma....? Something with a P... violent word... Pierce! Gemma Pierce! That was the name!

Desmond and Gemma had met a few times here and there, usually in bars, and accompanied by their respective crews. They had both been smugglers by trade at the time, and their crews, while not enemies, had shared a somewhat friendly rivalry at times. At least Des had tried to be friendly... he usually was where women as gorgeous as Gemma were concerned.

Quote"You don't happen to be a world class mechanic do you?"

Des approached in time to hear the mans last comment. He smiled, which unfortunately did little to lessen his intimidating appearance. "She's not, but I myself do happen to be a world class mechanic, and by the sound of it you could sure use one. Names Desmond Holt." He said to the man. He turned his head towards the first woman and gave her a nod, "Ma'am." and then to Gemma. "Gemma, fancy meeting you here. Been a few years." He said with a friendly grin.
"The best surfer out there is the one having the most fun."
Dialogue Color: Seagreen

Gemma Pierce

Quote"By every star in the Verse, Gemma! I didn't think I'd ever see your face again!" Moving down the ramp, she stopped short of giving Gemma a hug. Instead, she smiled largely in greeting. So much had changed since they'd last met. "You survived the war, I see." Looking back, she motioned for Mike to join her at the end of the ramp. Not just for an introduction, but to get him clear of the remnants of the smoke trailing out of the ship.

"Mike, come meet an old.. friend.. of mine. Back from my clinic days.

Gemma embraced the doctor and waved up at Mike with a welcoming smile.

"Nice to meet you sir, name's Gemma Pierce." She put out her hand to shake Mike's but quickly retracted after seeing his hands,
Quote"I'd shake your hand, but..." Mike held up his hands, palms forward, showcasing a mess of dirt and oil. "Nice to meet you." He nodded. Mike knew of Trina's clinic days, and how important they were to her, but he couldn't know her exact relationship with Gemma. He hoped it was good, even though times there were never exactly good.

Becker wiped his hands on his shirt. "You don't happen to be a world class mechanic do you?"

She nodded in agreement, "Yes that does look tough to get out." Gemma chuckled a bit,  she was about to answer his question however a familiar voice came up behind her.

Quote"She's not, but I myself do happen to be a world class mechanic, and by the sound of it you could sure use one. Names Desmond Holt." He said to the man. He turned his head towards the first woman and gave her a nod, "Ma'am." and then to Gemma. "Gemma, fancy meeting you here. Been a few years.

She wasn't one to forget names, especially his, Desmond Holt. She rolled her eyes and huffed slightly before turning to greet him.

"I would hardly call him world class but I'm sure he won't break it anymore than it is." She offered him a quick smirk. Looking him over slightly, "Hello Desmond...Can't imagine you're up to any good nowadays."  She turned back to Trina, "Des and I were...competitors...in the market." She chose her words carefully, smuggling wasn't exactly legal and she wasn't looking to get caught. Almost as if on queue, her PDA went off, notifying her there was a new message.  The product was ready for pick up, not far from here either.

Gemma looked down at her phone and back up to Trina, "I've uhm...gotta run, but I'll be back to catch up. I'm sure, Des here can help you...but don't quote me on that." She gave Trina a quick wink and headed off to pick up the product and get it on her shuttle.

Michael Becker

Adding on to Gemma's comment about Des's world class accolade. "I mean world class..." He thought for a moment. "Depends on the world. Could be a small world. Not many people. Most people riding horses instead of mules." After he beat, he tried to clarify. "But I'm sure you're top dog on one of the good worlds."

Gemma excused herself as Becker continued wiping his hands on his shirt. He looked to Des. "Des was it? I don't suppose you could..." He looked back to an old ship that had seen better days. "As it was pitched to me it just needs TLC. And I know what one of those letters stands for, maybe you're just the guy." Unbeknowst to Becker, he didn't know the correct word for any of the letters in 'TLC,'

Trina

Trina was rolling her eyes at Mike wiping his hands on his shirt, leaving behind stains she was absolutely certain would never come out when the greeting from the other man came. Turning her attention, she gave the man a nod and a smile. When Gemma explained what Desmond did, Trina nodded and then gave the man another look. By the time, she was looking back to Gemma, the woman had gotten a message and was heading off. "I'm sure we'll still be here when you get done."

There was a tiny part of Trina that wanted to see Des work, to discern whether or not the man was actually any good with engines. The only thing that kept her from heading inside was the fear of further clouds of smoke. "Mike, I think I'll stay out here. I'll finish putting together the list of other things we'll need, alright?" She gave both men a smile before taking a seat at the end of the ramp with Hope.

Desmond Holt

Quote"I would hardly call him world class but I'm sure he won't break it anymore than it is." She offered him a quick smirk. Looking him over slightly, "Hello Desmond...Can't imagine you're up to any good nowadays."

Des's grin remained in place and he spread arms wide in innocence. "Me? Up to no good? Must have me confused with someone else."

Quote"Des and I were...competitors...in the market." She said, just as her PDA went off. Gemma looked down at her phone and back up to Trina, "I've uhm...gotta run, but I'll be back to catch up. I'm sure, Des here can help you...but don't quote me on that."

"Take care." He said with a little wave, just being friendly. Though his eyes did linger a moment on her retreating form. Hate to see them go, love to watch them leave. He chuckled to himself and turned back to Mike and Trina.

Quote"I mean world class..." He thought for a moment. "Depends on the world. Could be a small world. Not many people. Most people riding horses instead of mules." After he beat, he tried to clarify. "But I'm sure you're top dog on one of the good worlds."

Desmond chuckled again. "I definitely know my way around an engine, at the very least."

Quote"Des was it? I don't suppose you could..." He looked back to an old ship that had seen better days. "As it was pitched to me it just needs TLC. And I know what one of those letters stands for, maybe you're just the guy."

"Des, or Desmond. Few people called me Bear for a while. Whichever you prefer. I'd be happy to take a look at her, my expert diagnosis is free, and I'll even get her running if its an easy fix. Though I am in the market for a steady position... you in the market for a full time mechanic?" He stepped up onto the ramp, ready to follow Mike inside the ship.
"The best surfer out there is the one having the most fun."
Dialogue Color: Seagreen

Gemma Pierce

Gemma walked off toward the pick up point. Trina and her ship still in view. She felt Des watching her, her head turning slightly to offer a smirk and a brow, sauntering slightly, as if she was putting on a show. Not that she would for him anyway.  She arrived at the specified location and looked around for a package, it sat inconspicuously like a pile of trash next a crate. 

Looking around beforehand, Gemma moved towards the bag to pick it up and shuttling it off world. However unbeknownst to the brunette, she had quickly been surrounded by multiple agents of the law. She took steps and a voice bellowed:

"Gemma Pierce. You are under arrest for smuggling illegally acquired items off planet."

Gemma clenched her back teeth.  Her hand moved to her hip to fetch then gun, but looking around she could see she was  out numbered. She could only hope that her old friend, or someone in that general direction would see what was happening.  "Go se."

Putting her hands in the air, hoping the law men missed the bag sitting close by, "Tad redundant don't you think? Smuggling off planet? That is the general definition of smuggling.  It's like saying, you're arrested for taking something off planet off planet.  You didn't get much schooling as a child did you." She smiled sweetly and looked around, raising her voice slightly to catch someone's attention, if it hadn't been already,

"So you're arresting me huh? It's a shame I'm here all alone, with no one to rescue me." Figuring that was enough of a hint she put her arms out and let the law men take her back to their 'guarded facility.'   Pretty much a metal shanty with a cell inside and a drunk tank.  Thankfully she wasn't held up with the drunk, but the cell smelled like stale urine and despair. She hoped someone was on their way to get her own.

Trina

Quote from: Desmond Holt on August 20, 2018, 06:16:47 PM
"Des, or Desmond. Few people called me Bear for a while. Whichever you prefer. I'd be happy to take a look at her, my expert diagnosis is free, and I'll even get her running if its an easy fix. Though I am in the market for a steady position... you in the market for a full time mechanic?"

Trina smiled softly upon hearing Des' last bit as he headed up the ramp. Maybe their luck was turning just a little. Finally. Mike would want to vet the man a little of course, and he'd find a way, but Trina had a good feeling rising in her. At least until she looked off in the direction Gemma had gone. There were men closing in on her friend, armed men and they didn't look like they were there to help her as crew.

Quote from: Gemma Pierce on August 21, 2018, 06:02:04 PM
"So you're arresting me huh? It's a shame I'm here all alone, with no one to rescue me."

It was all Trina could do to sit still, hoping Gemma would at least make eye contact before she disappeared with the men. Only once they were gone from sight did Trina stand and hurry up the ramp after Mike and Des. "Mike!" Raising her voice was a rare occurrence and the tone she used gave away the fact that she'd spotted the trouble, even if they hadn't seen it. Catching up with the two, the dark look on her face was reason enough to know she was determined about what she wanted to do. "Mike, Gemma was just picked up by the local law. We can't leave her with them."